Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Re: Received multiple fee waivers without attending any events. Weird? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
gmatenthureturns wrote:
Sounds good, encouraging and exciting. I think I am gonna apply for McCombs, Rice, and Simon during R1.

More later in R2 for target schools. Hopefully, GMAT won't disappoint 2nd time.

It is probably not a bad practice but please make sure you don't sabotage your GMAT attempt by your applications sucking too much of your time and at the end you will end up with half-baked applications and a lack of improvement in the second attempt. Something to consider :hurt:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Received multiple fee waivers without attending any events. Weird? [#permalink]
bb wrote:
gmatenthureturns wrote:
Sounds good, encouraging and exciting. I think I am gonna apply for McCombs, Rice, and Simon during R1.

It is probably not a bad practice but please make sure you don't sabotage your GMAT attempt by your applications sucking too much of your time and at the end you will end up with half-baked applications and a lack of improvement in the second attempt. Something to consider :hurt:

Hi bb, great thought, and I agree. Moreover, this is my last GMAT attempt so its now or never.

On a different note, I was talking to my admission consultant yesterday and kind of trying to convince them to let me apply for McCombs and Fuqua with my current GMAT score. I referred to your note above saying that schools are expecting fewer applications this year so average GMAT might go down and I might be okay applying to those schools. They were not convinced and told me that average scores are going up for past two years and they see even more applications this year than previous years, so its unlikely the average scores will drop.

Just wondering, where did you get this idea of expected fewer apps and reduced scores? It will just help me instill some more confidence with my applications.

Thank you again!
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Received multiple fee waivers without attending any events. Weird? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
gmatenthureturns wrote:
bb wrote:
gmatenthureturns wrote:

Hi bb, great thought, and I agree. Moreover, this is my last GMAT attempt so its now or never.

On a different note, I was talking to my admission consultant yesterday and kind of trying to convince them to let me apply for McCombs and Fuqua with my current GMAT score. I referred to your note above saying that schools are expecting fewer applications this year so average GMAT might go down and I might be okay applying to those schools. They were not convinced and told me that average scores are going up for past two years and they see even more applications this year than previous years, so its unlikely the average scores will drop.

Just wondering, where did you get this idea of expected fewer apps and reduced scores? It will just help me instill some more confidence with my applications.

Thank you again!

I did not say that the scores would go down. How did you arrive to that conclusion?
(edit: GMAC's average scores have been going up for the last 20 years and school's average scores have been going up too - there is a "natural" score inflation happening as better tools and prep methods become available so scores are unlikely to go down - it would be a tough result for a school if that happens).

My comment was referring to why you got waivers and one theory is that the schools that sent you waivers (esp those in the bottom tier) would likely expect fewer applicants this year and thus looking to hedge and recruit more aggressively. It never hurts. Nobody said that you will be accepted because the volume is expected to be lower or that your score is OK at schools that have a much higher average score (where did Fuqua come from?). I just explained why they may have invited you to apply to McCombs, Katz, Simon, and Jones. You should work your ass off - that's your confidence and if you chose a consultant - trust them. They are interested in your success. They don't want you to fail.

You mentioned Katz in your previous post and in this one, you are applying to Fuqua. There is no correlation or any kind of a connection between those programs - you know that right? :-)

You can google and search for MBA Application volume if you have the time to research but it is a fool's errand, quite often, and pure speculation that's best done when you have time on your hands (after you submit). https://www.wsj.com/articles/m-b-a-appl ... 1505727000 but there are different trends in Top 10 vs. Top 50. Top 10 is always competitive, some programs more so than others, but the top 50 and such as Katz and Simon have likely dropped in applicant volume (I have not done the research on this however - you are welcome to if you are looking to apply to these programs).

Originally posted by bb on 28 Sep 2018, 10:34.
Last edited by bb on 28 Sep 2018, 10:36, edited 1 time in total.
Edit
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Received multiple fee waivers without attending any events. Weird? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FYI - the latest article from WSJ:

Link copied…