GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 18:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.

Reptiles, by drawing their body heat directly from the Sun rather than

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
Reptiles, by drawing their body heat directly from the Sun rather than  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 Oct 2018, 03:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (01:02) correct 34% (01:02) wrong based on 1218 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Reptiles, by drawing their body heat directly from the Sun rather than burning calories to generate it, can survive on ten percent of the nourishment that a mammal of similar size would normally require

(A) rather than burning calories to generate it

(B) rather than the generation of body heat by burning calories

(C) and not from generating it by burning calories

(D) instead of by burning calories for generating it

(E) instead of body heat generated by burning calories

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 42: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Originally posted by vivek123 on 14 Dec 2005, 02:02.
Last edited by Bunuel on 17 Oct 2018, 03:02, edited 6 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Reptiles, by drawing their body heat directly from the Sun rather than  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2017, 07:53
I think this one is pretty tough, and it's another good example of the fact that pronoun ambiguity isn't an absolute rule on the GMAT. For more on this question, check out the video of our YouTube live session here.

Quote:

On the face of things, it looks like "it' is ambiguous, because it could refer to "the Sun" or "their body heat." But again, pronoun ambiguity isn't an absolute rule, and the more important thing is the comparison: "by drawing their body heat from the Sun rather than burning calories..." Hey, that looks pretty good. Let's keep (A), just to be safe.

Quote:

Now the comparison is a mess. Comparisons need to be both parallel and logically sound, and this one is neither of those things: "by drawing their body heat from the Sun rather than the generation of body heat by burning calories..." Eliminate (B).

Quote:

The parallelism is a hot mess here, too. "Not from generating it..." follows the parallelism marker "and." What's parallel to "not from generating it"? Structurally, our only real option is "from the Sun."

But wait: that makes no sense at all. "Reptiles, by drawing their body heat... and (not) from generating it by burning calories." That really doesn't work. (C) is gone.

Quote:

This one isn't terribly different from (A), but the few little differences are a problem. "Burning calories for generating it" isn't quite the right idiom -- I think we'd prefer "burning calories to generate it", as in (A). I'm also really not sure that the "by" is necessary here. More importantly: the GMAT seems to prefer "rather than" over "instead of." (And we could launch into a long discussion of that one, but GMAT Club threads on this topic can be found here and here.)

So (D) can be eliminated.

Quote:

The comparison is messy here again: "by drawing their body heat directly from the Sun instead of body heat generated by burning calories"... that's a mess. Plus, we still have the "instead of" problem.

So (E) is gone, and (A) is the winner. Again, the "it" might feel ambiguous in (A), but pronoun ambiguity is not an absolute rule on the GMAT -- and the logic of the comparison is far more important.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Most Helpful Community Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
B
Re: Reptiles, by drawing their body heat directly from the Sun rather than  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2005, 07:03
ETS SC RULE #1: VIRTUALLY ALWAYS CHOOSE RATHER THAN OVER INSTEAD OF UNLESS THE FORMER IS A GRAMMATICAL NIGHTMARE. This pattern has about a 99% accuracy rate.

(A)
General Discussion
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2012, 15:53
Hi,
The OA is A. Source is GMAT software question pack 1.

Can we have an expert explanation? I realize that the question is testing parallelism, but am having hard time understanding what parts of speech are parallel.

Thank You,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2013, 01:59
mvamsee wrote:
Hi,

Can we have an expert explanation? I realize that the question is testing parallelism, but am having hard time understanding what parts of speech are parallel.

Thank You,

Experts kindly help here. .

don't really understand the differences between instead, rather than in this example. .

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : http://gmatclub.com/forum/end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2013, 21:07
Sachin9 wrote:
mvamsee wrote:
Hi,

Thank You,

Experts kindly help here. .

don't really understand the differences between instead, rather than in this example. .

Responding to a pm:

Parallel Structure: Look at the structure of the sentence.

Reptiles, by doing A rather than doing B, can survive on ...

'doing A' and 'doing B' should be parallel.

drawing their body heat directly from the Sun rather than burning calories to generate it - 'drawing' needs 'burning'

'burn calories to generate heat' is the correct usage. You do 'this' to get 'that' result.
'burn calories for generating heat' is not.

Rather than vs Instead of:

'rather than' shows preference. 'instead of' means 'in stead of' i.e. 'in place of' and doesn't show preference.

He came to my party instead of his wife. - His wife was supposed to come but she couldn't so he came instead.

I would like to invite her rather than her husband. - Only person per couple will be invited and I would like to invite her, not her husband.

Here, reptiles prefer to get the heat directly from the Sun and hence, can survive on little nutrition. So 'rather than' is fine. In fact, even 'instead of' is not incorrect. Hence, even though some options use 'rather than' and some use 'instead of', the choice between these two is not your decision point.

[b]Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2013, 12:23
Can someone tell me what the IT is referring to in answer A. I thought the IT is closest to Sun therefore made answer choice A alkward.
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2013, 19:35
"it" correctly refers to "body heat". Please note that there is no rule that indicates that pronoun should refer to the closest noun. The reference by pronoun is determined by understanding the meaning of the sentence. I suggest you review the following two sources to clarify your understanding of pronouns:

1: "Pronouns" Concept file in free trial of e-GMAT. Here is short video for how you can access the free trial.
2: Article on Pronouns

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Payal

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Retired Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2013, 21:28
x rather than Y
X is a prepositional phrase
y should be a prepositional phrase.
in that case D matches.
why "burning for generating" is not correct?
A comes close to ||-ism as well
P

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2013, 22:23
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
x rather than Y
X is a prepositional phrase
y should be a prepositional phrase.
in that case D matches.
why "burning for generating" is not correct?
A comes close to ||-ism as well

No, 'by' is not a part of X.

Look at the following sentences:

Reptiles, by doing N, can survive on very little food.

Reptiles, by doing X rather than doing Y, can survive on very little food. - Here, 'doing N' is replaced by 'doing X rather than doing Y' (or 'doing X rather than Y' in case the same verb is used for both)

e.g.
Overweight people, by eating healthy food, can reduce their weight.
Overweight people, by eating fruits rather than drinking sweetened juice, can reduce their weight. (eating and drinking are in parallel)
Overweight people, by eating fruits rather than meat, can reduce their weight. ('eating fruits rather than eating meat is assumed)

'to' is the idiomatically correct usage.

[b]Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 01:31
GMATNinja wrote:
I think this one is pretty tough, and it's another good example of the fact that pronoun ambiguity isn't an absolute rule on the GMAT. For more on this question, check out the video of our YouTube live session here.

Quote:

On the face of things, it looks like "it' is ambiguous, because it could refer to "the Sun" or "their body heat." But again, pronoun ambiguity isn't an absolute rule, and the more important thing is the comparison: "by drawing their body heat from the Sun rather than burning calories..." Hey, that looks pretty good. Let's keep (A), just to be safe.

Quote:

Now the comparison is a mess. Comparisons need to be both parallel and logically sound, and this one is neither of those things: "by drawing their body heat from the Sun rather than the generation of body heat by burning calories..." Eliminate (B).

Quote:

The parallelism is a hot mess here, too. "Not from generating it..." follows the parallelism marker "and." What's parallel to "not from generating it"? Structurally, our only real option is "from the Sun."

But wait: that makes no sense at all. "Reptiles, by drawing their body heat... and (not) from generating it by burning calories." That really doesn't work. (C) is gone.

Quote:

This one isn't terribly different from (A), but the few little differences are a problem. "Burning calories for generating it" isn't quite the right idiom -- I think we'd prefer "burning calories to generate it", as in (A). I'm also really not sure that the "by" is necessary here. More importantly: the GMAT seems to prefer "rather than" over "instead of." (And we could launch into a long discussion of that one, but GMAT Club threads on this topic can be found here and here.)

So (D) can be eliminated.

Quote:

The comparison is messy here again: "by drawing their body heat directly from the Sun instead of body heat generated by burning calories"... that's a mess. Plus, we still have the "instead of" problem.

So (E) is gone, and (A) is the winner. Again, the "it" might feel ambiguous in (A), but pronoun ambiguity is not an absolute rule on the GMAT -- and the logic of the comparison is far more important.

Hi GMATNinja
I do agree that parallelism in (A) makes much sense since we assume (by) before burning calories.
However, from grammar point of view, why is B incorrect?
As far as parallelism rule goes, noun modifiers can be parallel to each other.
Here, drawing is a verb-ing modifier is in parallel with modifying noun - Reptiles
and noun + noun modifier generation of body heat, a noun
and by burning calories (again a verb-ing modifier) also modifies noun - reptiles.
Am I correct?
WR,
Arpit

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 09:53
adkikani wrote:
Hi GMATNinja
I do agree that parallelism in (A) makes much sense since we assume (by) before burning calories.
However, from grammar point of view, why is B incorrect?
As far as parallelism rule goes, noun modifiers can be parallel to each other.
Here, drawing is a verb-ing modifier is in parallel with modifying noun - Reptiles
and noun + noun modifier generation of body heat, a noun
and by burning calories (again a verb-ing modifier) also modifies noun - reptiles.
Am I correct?
WR,
Arpit

Hello @adkikan/Arpit,

Thank you for the PM. :)

Choice B violates parallelism. The sentence uses the phrase X rather than Y. Per choice B:

X = by drawing their body heat directly from the Sun = prepositional phrase
Y = the generation of body heat by burning calories = noun phrase

The above mentioned elements are neither grammatically parallel nor logically. Please note that by burning calories in Y just modifies the preceding noun the generation of body heat. The Choice actually makes by drawing... parallel to the generation....

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Director
Director
D
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2018, 08:43
Hey jennpt

Could you please solve this question for us, i.e. the way you would solve in exam including strategy!! thanks!!

"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Reptiles, by drawing their body heat directly from the Sun rather than &nbs [#permalink] 30 Nov 2018, 08:43

Reptiles, by drawing their body heat directly from the Sun rather than

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap