GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 23:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Request advice on MBA suitablity (Long post warning)

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
WE: Other (Internet and New Media)
Request advice on MBA suitablity (Long post warning)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2018, 22:58
Hello and thank you for reading my post. I appreciate your time!

I recently took the GMAT and scored a 650 overall (Q46, V34, IR 6). I am caught at a crossroad, where I'm getting conflicting advice on whether it makes sense for me to pursue an MBA at all.

First, let me introduce myself.

I am a 34 year old Indian male with 10+ years of experience in Corporate Communications. I have mostly worked with firms based in UAE, and moved back to India in 2015 for personal reasons. I'm currently working for a Construction firm and previously worked in the Facilities Management industry. I hold a Masters degree in Media and Communications from a leading university in India and scored a CGPA of 8.5 overall. I graduated 10 years ago.

Since relocating, I've put feelers out in the Indian job market, and the common feedback I've received is that a lack of an MBA from a Tier 1 University is holding me back from being considered for the roles I'm applying for, since I already have the relevant work experience (domestic and international), as well as academic credentials (Masters degree).

With in mind, I decided to prepare for the GMAT and took my first exam after a month's preparation (self study). I know it's on the lower end of the scale, but I was hoping to offset it with my professional and academic track record.

Last weekend, I appeared for an interview round with one of the B schools I'd applied to. The panel was patient to hear me out, but gave me the following feedback:

1) At 34, I am too old to pursue an MBA

2) My professional area of interest (Corporate Communications and Investor Relations) didn't need an MBA as such

3) They felt my experience and learnings would offer very little to their program

4) MBA was designed for Finance, Operations, IT, and Marketing professionals, and they advised me to focus on job hunting instead

5) They told me that pursuing any MBA dreams would be a "waste of time"

I was extremely discouraged by their feedback and am questioning whether this sentiment is likely to be echoed by the AdComs of all MBA programs.

Should I give up hope for pursuing an MBA degree altogether?

I'd be very interested to get feedback from candidates or alumni of MBA programs, who've pursued a career in Corporate Communications or Investor Relations, post MBA.

Thank you for reading, and I'm grateful for any feedback or inputs you feel like sharing with me.

Have a nice day.

Regards

Colaxs
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: Request advice on MBA suitablity (Long post warning)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2018, 01:58
Hello Colaxs

Not sure what B school you interviewed with- it might have been a simple case of you not fitting in at that particular B School.
34 it definitely on the higher side, but several people pursue an MBA at 34 and even much more, so age it certainly not a criteria here. Selecting the right school might be a bigger issue.
Your work ex looks strong (on paper) though there are several other aspects as well which are hidden- namely, career progress, achievements etc. You can read here on what matters in the applications.
The 650 is certainly on the lower end but again, depends on what schools you apply to.
Lastly, I am still not sure what your career goals are. Is it just moving up in your career? If yes, then exactly what skill is missing that an MBA will add (recruiters demanding a degree cannot be the primary reason to tell the admissions committee). The gaps will need to be identified (if any). See if reading here helps.
I wouldn't rule out an MBA due to your age, but might rule out due to your career goals. For a personalized discussion, feel free to reach out.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

Colaxs wrote:
Hello and thank you for reading my post. I appreciate your time!

I recently took the GMAT and scored a 650 overall (Q46, V34, IR 6). I am caught at a crossroad, where I'm getting conflicting advice on whether it makes sense for me to pursue an MBA at all.

First, let me introduce myself.

I am a 34 year old Indian male with 10+ years of experience in Corporate Communications. I have mostly worked with firms based in UAE, and moved back to India in 2015 for personal reasons. I'm currently working for a Construction firm and previously worked in the Facilities Management industry. I hold a Masters degree in Media and Communications from a leading university in India and scored a CGPA of 8.5 overall. I graduated 10 years ago.

Since relocating, I've put feelers out in the Indian job market, and the common feedback I've received is that a lack of an MBA from a Tier 1 University is holding me back from being considered for the roles I'm applying for, since I already have the relevant work experience (domestic and international), as well as academic credentials (Masters degree).

With in mind, I decided to prepare for the GMAT and took my first exam after a month's preparation (self study). I know it's on the lower end of the scale, but I was hoping to offset it with my professional and academic track record.

Last weekend, I appeared for an interview round with one of the B schools I'd applied to. The panel was patient to hear me out, but gave me the following feedback:

1) At 34, I am too old to pursue an MBA

2) My professional area of interest (Corporate Communications and Investor Relations) didn't need an MBA as such

3) They felt my experience and learnings would offer very little to their program

4) MBA was designed for Finance, Operations, IT, and Marketing professionals, and they advised me to focus on job hunting instead

5) They told me that pursuing any MBA dreams would be a "waste of time"

I was extremely discouraged by their feedback and am questioning whether this sentiment is likely to be echoed by the AdComs of all MBA programs.

Should I give up hope for pursuing an MBA degree altogether?

I'd be very interested to get feedback from candidates or alumni of MBA programs, who've pursued a career in Corporate Communications or Investor Relations, post MBA.

Thank you for reading, and I'm grateful for any feedback or inputs you feel like sharing with me.

Have a nice day.

Regards

Colaxs

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Request advice on MBA suitablity (Long post warning) &nbs [#permalink] 06 Aug 2018, 01:58

Request advice on MBA suitablity (Long post warning)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap