Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 14:27 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8833 [1]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GPA: 4
Send PM
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi Everyone first post on GmatClub. Open to suggestions and critique. Cheers!

Pakistani, male, 31 years.

GMAT - Scheduled for Jan '21

Bachelors in Economics - 2.70 CGPA - National University of Sciences and Technology (Top Ranked university in Pakistan- Graduated 2014)
Very active participation in student clubs National MUNs and Drama clubs. A Leadership position in a prominent student led international organization (AIESEC) - Representation at International Conferences

Masters In Professional Accounting- 3.3 CGPA - Australian Institute of Business and Management (below average school)

Work Exp - 2014-2016

Commercial analyst for Jazz (Largest Telecom Company in Pakistan) responsible for the following:
Preparation of long term Business Strategy (3 and 10-year business plans), Performance Management and Target Setting & forecasting Subscriber and Revenue Market Share.

Study Break - MPA

Work Exp 2018- 2021

Link Group (Australian Share Market Registry)
(2018 - 2019)
Investor Services Associate – Capital markets
Client Facing role with investors along with maintenance of client account and records, in line with current regulations
Managed client asset transfers and stock settlements.

AA Investments (Investment brokerage)
Senior Investment broker - Full on customer facing role with a small to medium capital raising firm for national investment projects and start-ups. Prepared sales cycle for new projects and existing. Operated with monthly and yearly targets for capital raise from project owners and management.

Social work:
Part of the team that started an education based NGO in 2011 focusing on afghan refugee children in Pakistan.

Reasons for MBA
1. My masters in accounting was not an experience I would recommend going forward.I realized quickly after moving here that an accounting masters is not worth anything unless it is accompanied with a certification (like CA or CPA). Accounting masters from this school, at the time, was the best choice from an immigration perspective.
2. My recent roles in capital markets, client servicing, business development and sales were outstanding learning opportunities. In the past three years (including 2020) I have enjoyed working in fast paced environments which are customer facing while contributing to and developing marketing campaigns B2B and B2C, building rapport and the eventual contribution to the company's sales revenue. In my opinion an MBA at this stage in my career can prepare me better for eventual future roles in Marketing, Branding and Growth management. A good MBA like Rotman will give me a better platform to eventually land a better role with high career growth prospects.

Post-MBA Aspiration - Eventually move into senior positions in Marketing and Strategic growth management. Starting from Business development and sales (preferably in the Tech or Banking)

Note:
If I sound like someone who will not get in and is wasting his time with this, I would really appreciate if someone would just tell me that , with good reasoning of course. Will help me save heaps of time and money. Thanks

I also understand that my undergrad GPA is low and also my Masters degree is not from a good school. how will this affect my chances, if there are any?

I don't expect my GMAT to be in the 700s, it will be between 600-650 ( Based on Gmat official diagnostic tests) but hoping to get more.

While going through the profile evaluation tool it displayed an above average probability of the following schools:

Somewhat Over-represented with GMAT in 550-590 Range and advanced filters

NUS Singapore
IESE
Said Oxford

Average Probability

Fuqua (Duke)
Tepper
Emory Goizueta
Kelley
Foster
Marshall
Rotman

I am not sure how accurate this is but it certainly has given me the confidence to look into applying to Rotman and others while trying to get a much better GMAT. I am only looking for schools in Canada at this stage.

I appreciate any constructive feedback. Thank you for your help!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi everyone,

Was hoping to get some insight on my overall profile.

Indian / F / 27.

I have strong academic credentials:
1. CGPA 10 / Rank #1 in secondary school examination (CBSE - grade X)
2. 96.25% / Rank #2 in higher secondary school examination (CBSE - grade XII)
3. CGPA 7.8 / 10 / Rank #3 in BCom with a major in Accounting and Finance
4. CFA Charterholder

Professionally, I have ~5.5 years of investment banking experience in India, of which I spent ~4 months working at the company's office in New York.

In addition, I am extremely passionate about Yoga. I am a certified instructor and teach on a regular basis.

I also took the GMAT last week after around 2 weeks of prep but scored a 640 (Q42 V35 AWA5 IR6). I lost points in Quants, but I am hoping my academic and professional qualifications would make up for it. I was wondering whether this score, considered in tandem with my overall profile, would be deemed competitive.

Thanks!
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Roejogan89,

I understand your situation very well. I request you to stick with me through this reply as I explain to you the stats and your options available for you.

Though your scores are low and your expected GMAT score is below 650, this should not deter you from applying at good b-schools in Canada. Among the names you have mentioned, nearly all have average GMAT scores between 650 and 680 for their full-time MBA classes. However, the range of accepted GMAT scores is as low as 550.

In my opinion, you should try to raise your GMAT score to 650. This will give you a safe ground. Your ECs are good and give an image that you had international exposure at such an early stage. The social service aspect is of genuine value as well and it holds exclusive importance in itself. Therefore I don’t think your GPA or masters from a “not-so-good” school is a deterrent. Everyone has past and what matters is your learnings from them and how you strive to improve yourself. And I see this in you. Your overall profile is amazing and you, definitely, should consider Rotman, which can be a great fit to your post-MBA goals.

You need not understate your career trajectory. You have had many client-facing roles and a great experience in business strategy. You have showcased steady progress and a determination to improve it. The fact you kept on improving your life is an inspiration in itself. It can be of highlight in your essays and interviews. Along with this, you have geographic diversity with respect to education and work-ex.

I’m pretty sure your client facing roles have developed your communication skills a lot and you’ll be able to ace the interviews if given a chance. So you see, all this should come together to forge a profile of grit, diversity and aspirations. You are doing great and I insist you to keep putting efforts in your preparation.

Feel free to connect with us for any doubt or query. We will be very glad to assist you in any way we can.

Also, we will be more than happy to provide you a comprehensive explanation of each b-school separately. This will give you a clearer understanding of what is best for you. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma, Linkedin
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Testimonials
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
What s app: +65-97158525

Roejogan89 wrote:

Bachelors in Economics - 2.70 CGPA - National University of Sciences and Technology (Top Ranked university in Pakistan- Graduated 2014)
Very active participation in student clubs National MUNs and Drama clubs. A Leadership position in a prominent student led international organization (AIESEC) - Representation at International Conferences

Masters In Professional Accounting- 3.3 CGPA - Australian Institute of Business and Management (below average school)

Work Exp - 2014-2016

Commercial analyst for Jazz (Largest Telecom Company in Pakistan) responsible for the following:
Preparation of long term Business Strategy (3 and 10-year business plans), Performance Management and Target Setting & forecasting Subscriber and Revenue Market Share.

Study Break - MPA

Work Exp 2018- 2021

(2018 - 2019)
Client Facing role with investors along with maintenance of client account and records, in line with current regulations

Senior Investment broker - Full on customer facing role with a small to medium capital raising firm for national investment projects and start-ups. Prepared sales cycle for new projects and existing. Operated with monthly and yearly targets for capital raise from project owners and management.

Social work:
Part of the team that started an education based NGO in 2011 focusing on afghan refugee children in Pakistan.

Reasons for MBA
1. My masters in accounting was not an experience I would recommend going forward.I realized quickly after moving here that an accounting masters is not worth anything unless it is accompanied with a certification (like CA or CPA). Accounting masters from this school, at the time, was the best choice from an immigration perspective.
2. My recent roles in capital markets, client servicing, business development and sales were outstanding learning opportunities. In the past three years (including 2020) I have enjoyed working in fast paced environments which are customer facing while contributing to and developing marketing campaigns B2B and B2C, building rapport and the eventual contribution to the company's sales revenue. In my opinion an MBA at this stage in my career can prepare me better for eventual future roles in Marketing, Branding and Growth management. A good MBA like Rotman will give me a better platform to eventually land a better role with high career growth prospects.

Post-MBA Aspiration - Eventually move into senior positions in Marketing and Strategic growth management. Starting from Business development and sales (preferably in the Tech or Banking)

Note:
If I sound like someone who will not get in and is wasting his time with this, I would really appreciate if someone would just tell me that , with good reasoning of course. Will help me save heaps of time and money. Thanks

I also understand that my undergrad GPA is low and also my Masters degree is not from a good school. how will this affect my chances, if there are any?

I don't expect my GMAT to be in the 700s, it will be between 600-650 ( Based on Gmat official diagnostic tests) but hoping to get more.

While going through the profile evaluation tool it displayed an above average probability of the following schools:

NUS Singapore
IESE
Said Oxford

Average Probability

Fuqua (Duke)
Tepper
Emory Goizueta
Kelley
Foster
Marshall
Rotman

I am not sure how accurate this is but it certainly has given me the confidence to look into applying to Rotman and others while trying to get a much better GMAT. I am only looking for schools in Canada at this stage.

Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi NP2909,

I see your academics are good and your career in investment banking is supported by your CFA. I insist you provide me with more information regarding your ECs and also the career progression. I hope you do understand that your current GMAT score is low when compared to the middle 80% GMAT scores of the students at the colleges you are targeting. For instance, the middle 80% of INSEAD class falls between 670 to 720.

MIT Sloan, INSEAD, LBS, ISB, etc. are all top b-schools. Usual class profile is 700+ GMAT scores in all of them. However, this entirely doesn’t rule out your chance. ISB, INSEAD, etc. do take students who have scores in the range of 600 to 700. But I believe, applying to business schools costs you a lot in terms of investment, time and effort and so, you should put your best foot forward. If you can get a score better than 640 and enhance your chances, why not do it?

Also, your experiences, professionally and personally make a unique case about you. So, you should be able to communicate how you will be an asset to these MBA programs. You may highlight more about your ECs (I am pretty impressed by your Yoga) and work-experience in detail.

The point I’m trying to bring home is b-schools judge candidates overall on their profiles. Your essays are going to play a crucial role in your selection process. You’ll have to highlight your previous learnings and leadership qualities from your work-ex and put them in line with the values of the b-schools. Understand each of your target schools well and do exhibit your TRUE interest in them.

If you'd like, we are happy to hop on a call some time this week to discuss your chances in further detail and address your concerns better. We will be more than happy to assist you and make your profile shine brighter. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Testimonials

NP2909 wrote:
Hi everyone,
Was hoping to get some insight on my overall profile.

Indian / F / 27.

I have strong academic credentials:
1. CGPA 10 / Rank #1 in secondary school examination (CBSE - grade X)
2. 96.25% / Rank #2 in higher secondary school examination (CBSE - grade XII)
3. CGPA 7.8 / 10 / Rank #3 in BCom with a major in Accounting and Finance
4. CFA Charterholder

Professionally, I have ~5.5 years of investment banking experience in India, of which I spent ~4 months working at the company's office in New York.

In addition, I am extremely passionate about Yoga. I am a certified instructor and teach on a regular basis.

I also took the GMAT last week after around 2 weeks of prep but scored a 640 (Q42 V35 AWA5 IR6). I lost points in Quants, but I am hoping my academic and professional qualifications would make up for it. I was wondering whether this score, considered in tandem with my overall profile, would be deemed competitive.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V39
Send PM
Hello everyone,

I'm hoping to get some insight on my background and stats for the Rotman R2 cycle.

A brief on me: (Indian/Female/25)

I studied for an undergraduate degree in Economics from one of the top undergrad humanities colleges in India- CGPA: 3.7/4 and a scholarship awarded to a student with the highest marks at the BA exams who aimed to pursue postgrad studies in Economics. I also studied for a graduate diploma in Economics on a merit-based scholarship and was the joint first rank holder of the program with a CGPA of 8.2/10. My GMAT score is 680.

I worked with a state government on public finance and economic consulting engagements for a year (2016-17) before pursuing the graduate diploma (stated above). Since the past two and a half years, I work with a Big 4 economics consulting team, dealing with anti-trust cases and damage quantification matters and conducting market studies with an Econ focus. I've also initiated thought leadership articles, which have received media attention (have been given co-authorship credit for the same). I've received 2 awards for individual contributions to high-priority projects and 2 awards for demonstrating team ethos for long-term projects. Also got a promotion six months ago, and was one of the few professionals to be promoted during the pandemic in the firm.

I've been keen on supplementing my academic and professional life with community involvement- working as a mentor and tutor for visually challenged students and also for children from underprivileged backgrounds. Recently led a team of professionals at work to create trainings on negotiation skills for working women from rural areas. I was also involved with a electoral info-bank non-profit in 2014, interviewing MP candidates for the general elections to gather insight on their performance and goals for their constituencies.

I'm a big fan of all things relating to fiction (everything ranging from Margaret Mitchell to Orwell to Agatha Christie). On a more serious note, I was a very active debater throughout college, organizing and participating in events for the debate club and the political science association. Led a college team and won the West-India championship in a tournament organized by the British Council. I used to participate in swimming events competitively, although it is now a leisure activity. Apart from that, I'm passionate about revisiting Indian music from the 1950s and 60s and exploring the relevance of certain lyrics to our millennial lifestyles.

I'd be grateful to hear thoughts and comments on my fit and shot at Canadian schools (Rotman, Ivey) in the current cycle with my existing stats. Thanks!
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello Rutuja2,

Your profile is very diverse and impressive with your academics and such an assorted work-experience being its highlight. Your career has been very progressive and your awards and promotion highlight your competitiveness. Also, your scholarship is another feather in the hat. Overall, you are a good mix of an achiever, leader, and a compassionate person.

I appreciate your thought of applying to Canadian b-schools such as Rotman and Ivey where average GMAT scores are around 670 and 680 respectively. You can also think of applying to some top b-schools of the US. Their average GMAT scores are around 700 but they do accept students at even 650 levels if they find profile is promising (and I find yours).

Moving on to your ECs, they are noteworthy as well, especially your efforts at helping underprivileged children and rural women in increasing their trade expertise. The adcoms value this a lot as this highlights the values of giving back to society in candidates.

As your work-experience has centred less around leadership you’ll have to accordingly supplement it highlighting the learnings you garnered while working in teams. Along with this, you can also showcase how your career in anti-trust, damage quantification and market research has shaped you to become a better future leader.

Your hobbies are intriguing with your debate experience coming forward in such a stark way. Your debate experience will be very helpful to you in communicating with the adcoms how you are a great fit for their respective schools (a debater’s marketing quality ;)). As Rotman and Ivey seek different values in their candidates, you’ll have to adjust your profile according to their requirements.

I would like to know your post-MBA goals. They are an important part in helping you shortlist the right schools and logically communicate your fit to them. Feel free to tap us if you have any query or if you need any help in understanding Rotman or other schools better. I will be very glad to also connect you to some recent Rotman admits.

Book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Testimonials

Rutuja2 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm hoping to get some insight on my background and stats for the Rotman R2 cycle.

I studied for an undergraduate degree in Economics from one of the top undergrad humanities colleges in India- CGPA: 3.7/4 and a scholarship awarded to a student with the highest marks at the BA exams who aimed to pursue postgrad studies in Economics. I also studied for a graduate diploma in Economics on a merit-based scholarship and was the joint first rank holder of the program with a CGPA of 8.2/10. My GMAT score is 680.

I worked with a state government on public finance and economic consulting engagements for a year (2016-17) before pursuing the graduate diploma (stated above). Since the past two and a half years, I work with a Big 4 economics consulting team, dealing with anti-trust cases and damage quantification matters and conducting market studies with an Econ focus. I've also initiated thought leadership articles, which have received media attention (have been given co-authorship credit for the same). I've received 2 awards for individual contributions to high-priority projects and 2 awards for demonstrating team ethos for long-term projects. Also got a promotion six months ago, and was one of the few professionals to be promoted during the pandemic in the firm.

I've been keen on supplementing my academic and professional life with community involvement- working as a mentor and tutor for visually challenged students and also for children from underprivileged backgrounds. Recently led a team of professionals at work to create trainings on negotiation skills for working women from rural areas. I was also involved with a electoral info-bank non-profit in 2014, interviewing MP candidates for the general elections to gather insight on their performance and goals for their constituencies.

I'm a big fan of all things relating to fiction (everything ranging from Margaret Mitchell to Orwell to Agatha Christie). On a more serious note, I was a very active debater throughout college, organizing and participating in events for the debate club and the political science association. Led a college team and won the West-India championship in a tournament organized by the British Council. I used to participate in swimming events competitively, although it is now a leisure activity. Apart from that, I'm passionate about revisiting Indian music from the 1950s and 60s and exploring the relevance of certain lyrics to our millennial lifestyles.

I'd be grateful to hear thoughts and comments on my fit and shot at Canadian schools (Rotman, Ivey) in the current cycle with my existing stats. Thanks!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
Gbmananth wrote:
Hi,
Here is my profile. please evaluate and let me know if I have to improve and my chances in Rotman.

Background:
Male, Indian, 3.2 years as an application developer.
Undergrad:
• B.Tech in ECE(Electronics and Communication Engineering) Pondicherry University. CGPA: 6.99/10.00. 2017 passed out

GMAT: Yet to write this December.

Certifications:
• CIBOP(Certified Investment Banking Operation Professional) from Imarticus Banglore
• ‘A’ certificate in NCC(National Cadet Corps) by the ministry of defense, India -2009
• C language certified from NIIT – 2014
• C++ certified by CDAC
• Core JAVA certified from Ocean academy Puducherry

Work Experience:
Total-experience: 3.2 years
• Worked as Developer in TCS for the Client PwC in maintaining and cultivating their applications related to Tax, Advisory, and assurance.
• Appointed as a module lead in managing the application
• Entrusted with works and Business processes such as :
1. Administration of client accounts.
2. Conversing with clients to get project requirements.
3. Revel in during the risk analysis to look out for enhancements and deliver it before the company takes forward with it.
4. Managing the scrum calls.
5. Project estimation and billing.
6. Delivery of the project
• Lead a team of 6 people and made sure that they are trained well.
Social Works:
• A member of “Fit for life” an initiative by TCS for maintaining a good physique and work-life balance.
• Member of TCS NGO and help many campaigns, walkathons on different international days.
• Blood donation campaign with Red cross.
• During my college I was a part of a community called blossom foundation which was run by students and youth. The organization had sectors such as blood, Awareness, Service, Technical.

Reasons for MBA –
At my current career stage, and the path I've chosen, a management degree (read MBA) makes a lot of sense for further growth and career development, and learning - given that I come from a technical background. An MBA would add on to my current experience and better equip me to take on good positions in Finance/strategy/consulting/management.
During my work, I was a part of one of the big4 accounting firms PwC where I used to deal with applications based on auditing, tax, and finance. And I did the risk analysis of the project before the company moved forward with it.
So, this work experience and engineering background not only developed my technical skills but also my analytical ability. I have that quality in me to quickly grasp complex tasks and problems in the finance sector.

Post-MBA goals:
Career transition into a banking or financial analytics role.

Extracurricular Activities:
• Volunteer mentor for students who want to change their career paths
• Been a member of student placement council during college
• Head of technical club and conducted many symposiums and events.
• "A" Certificate exam in NCC(National Cadet Corps) conducted by the ministry of defense, India.
• National Cadet corps advance leadership camp(10 days airforce training program), certified as the best candidate in shooting and drill.
• Published paper in IEEE, during my final year of undergraduate.

other universities targeting :
Schulich, McGill, McMaster, Calgary, Concordia, SFU.

Hi there,

You seem ambitious about pursuing a career in Management - This is reflected in the effort you have put in your work experience. If this aspect is portrayed properly in your application, schools will be interested in it.

Beginning the evaluation with your academic background, your GPA of 6.99 while average, would not pose as a hindrance in your application as the adcoms base their majority judgment on the work experience of MBA applicants

As far as your work experience goes, since an MBA is a manager's degree and requires significant work experience, your 3 years of work experience would put you at par with other applicants. In order to stand out from the crowd, you most certainly focus on your leadership roles and major projects of your work and how these experiences helped to develop and further groom your skills and knowledge. Since you lack big brands in your work experience, you can compensate for this by providing an apt reason as to why you chose these firms, how you have gone beyond the role, any initiatives you undertook, and any kind of impact created to showcase an equally competitive profile.

As for your extracurricular activities, you have a lot of leadership and volunteering roles which all showcase your strong interest in developing your profile holistically. So make sure you elaborate on what you did in the roles and how you handled problems, planned the events, raised funds, etc. You should dig deeper into this aspect and bring out varied skills in your profile. Though to be clear, Adcoms are more interested in impact created rather than participation, hence highlighting your quantifiable achievements would help enhance your application.

You also have participated in a few volunteering or CSR experiences with NGOs after your undergraduate, which is again a great value addition. It showcases your ability to take up initiatives, impact others, and to empathize with other people. B-schools are looking for applicants that are future leaders and such experiences and qualities strengthen your application.

Coming to your courses and certifications, justifying why you took up these courses and showcasing the knowledge you have gained, how you have benefited from them, and applied the learnings practically could help build a strong profile, as the top b schools are on the lookout for those candidates who are constantly on the path of upskilling themselves and taking on challenges.

Since you have mentioned that you will be giving GMAT this December, given your inclination towards Canadian schools, you ought to set a target score of a minimum of 660 to stand at an equal competition with the applicant pool.

Coming to the schools that you are targeting, Rotman, Schulich, and SFU come under the dream category while McGill, McMaster, Calgary, and Concordia come under the competitive category. Looking at your profile you have a 50% chance of getting admitted to the schools in the dream category and a 70% chance of getting admitted to the schools in the competitive category.

On this note, while you have a competitive profile, to increase your chances of getting admitted to these schools you would need to ensure that you have a very strong application (consisting of - Essays, LORs, and Resume) to differentiate your profile. You need to showcase your journey, what makes you different from your peers, and how you are a great value addition to the school. A strong application increases your chances of acceptance by up to 30%.

Furthermore, I would suggest beginning work on your applications as the upcoming deadlines are just around the corner and each application would require at least 10 days to be perfected.

On this note,  if you want to create a strong application that highlights your strengths and overshadows your weaknesses, you can follow the link below to Book a Free Consulting call to connect with one of our consultants to gain in-depth knowledge of the application process, meet the deadlines, and chalk out a winning strategy for your preferred list of schools.

https://www.mim-essay.com/book-an-appointment-form/

Hope this helped!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Female applicant.
Gmat 720
Ielts: 7.5
Gpa: 2.8
Work experience: 6 years, entrepreneur
Awards: several in the usa including thank you letter from the president of the US, couple in home country
Good volunteer job background in the usa and home country
Applied: Rotman, Sauder, Beedie in Canada, Melbourne, and Katz(Unv. Pittsburg)
What are the chances to get more than 50% scholarship. Which schools u advise to apply?!
Nationality: Uzbek(Uzbekistan)
Thanx ahead.

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
Roejogan89 wrote:

Work Exp - 2014-2016

Study Break - MPA

Work Exp 2018- 2021

(2018 - 2019)

Social work:

Reasons for MBA

Note:

NUS Singapore
IESE
Said Oxford

Average Probability

Fuqua (Duke)
Tepper
Emory Goizueta
Kelley
Foster
Marshall
Rotman

Hey there!

I would like to start off by saying that you have a pretty decent profile.

Commencing your profile evaluation with your academic background, while your UG GPA is a bit on the lower end, your Masters CGPA of 3.3 CGPA showcases your exemplary academic performance. While brands do play a role in influencing the decision of the adcoms, your acceptance is based on several other factors like your work experience, extracurriculars, the extent of skills and knowledge, etc., which is why drawing attention towards the other stronger suits of your profile should easily overshadow the lack of big academic brands

Coming on to your work experience, you have 5+ years of relevant work experience which definitely puts you at par with the competition here. However, to negate the lack of big brand names, talking about the kind of projects you have undertaken, the impact you created, and your career progression with major learning takeaways would definitely showcase the quality of your work and establish you as no less than a big4 candidate.

Further on the note of extracurriculars, It is good to see that you have undertaken a fair share of extracurricular activities as it highlights your well-rounded aptitude and helps in building a holistic profile. Your involvement in a social cause displays your great community involvement and empathetic skills, a trait valued by the admissions committee. Here, highlighting any leadership roles and instances of project management and communication skills would aid you in showcasing a well-developed profile.

Moreover, your experience of handling international projects and clients adds the aspect of international exposure to your profile which displays your global outlook and the capacity of working in a dynamic and multicultural environment.

Coming on to your GMAT score, given your inclination towards Canadian schools, I would recommend you to get at least 650+ in your GMAT as it would set you at par with the competitor pool.

Given your school choice, I would say that Rotman is definitely a dream school with your chances of acceptance in the program being 50%. That said, while applying to B-schools, it is a much better strategy to apply to a good mix of 6-8 schools from dream, competitive, and safe categories. Hence, given your profile and your inclination towards Canadian Schools, you can target the following schools:
Dream: Ivey, McGill, Schulich, HEC Montreal, etc
Competitive: UBC Sauder, Concordia, Alberta, Simon Fraser, etc.
Safe: Sobey, Telfer, McMaster, Victoria, etc

Even though your profile is pretty decent, there are certain highs and lows in it. This is why I’d suggest you lay emphasis on your admission application as the application acts as the window through which the admission committee can peer into your skills caliber and your personality. But simultaneously, it is also the way through which you can highlight your strengths and give apt justifications for your weaknesses to smooth over any flaws in your profile. Moreover, a strong application can increase your chances of acceptance by 30%, hence it is imperative that you use this tool in your arsenal to the best of your advantage.

Lastly, since you wish to apply to some of the top-notch and highly competitive schools in the world, you must be looking for some professional help to guide you through the application process of top business schools in the world. Hence, I’d suggest you book a free consultation call with our expert consultants who would clear any doubts you may have regarding the admission process and would help you chalk out a winning strategy that would definitely earn you an admit from your dream school.

LINK for the FREE Consultation Call:

Hope this helped!
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Barkhayot,

I do not have deep details about your experience and essays but based on the information I have here, your profile looks quite strong with above-average stats and recognitions from one of the most innovative country. Considering your background, you have quite great chances to land into these schools with considerable scholarship. But it also depends on the rounds in which you apply.

For school suggestions, without knowing your preferences, work-background and post-MBA goals, it's would be absurd for me to suggest any schools. But you should target the tier 1 schools of Europe and the US as well.

Feel free to tap us if you have any query or if you need any help in shortlisting the schools. I will be very glad to assist you in your MBA journey.

Book a free session as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Testimonials

Barkhayot wrote:
Female applicant.
Gmat 720
Awards: several in the usa including thank you letter from the president of the US, couple in home country
What are the chances to get more than 50% scholarship. Which schools u advise to apply?!
Thanx ahead.

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Ivey (A$)
Send PM
Hello Everyone,

Here is my profile. Could you give your honest take on it and let me know my chances at getting into Rotman and Ivey for their 2021 Intake?

Background:
Indian Male with 5 years of experience as a software developer and IT consultant.
Undergrad:
• Bachelor of Engineering in EXTC(Electronics and Telecommunications) University of Mumbai. Average: 59.1% (2014)

GMAT: 660 (Q:48 , V:32)
{Planning to retake soon, aiming for 710}

Work Experience:
Total-experience: 5 years
• Developer and IT consultant for a large media company.
• Worked at client location in Netherlands for about 3 years as field service domain specialist interacting with people from around the globe, especially Europeans.
• Tasks and Responsibilities:
1) Field Service Application Development and Management (30+ Modules including CRM application, a Mobile App and a Engineer scheduling application)
2) Priority issue resolution and coordination between multiple internal teams and 3rd party vendors. Simultaneously, keeping client stakeholders informed in a timely manner.
3) Ensure team's skill and knowledge development.
4) Consulting for application upgrade projects.
5) Project cost estimation.
6) Took an initiative to develop automation for regular and mundane tasks to free up my team's time so they can concentrate on more pressing customer concerns/issues.
• Led a core team of 5 people which was a subset of a large 'Service Experience' team of 22 members.
• Point of contact for the 'Service Experience' team for internal members, clients as well as 12 other teams in the client's complex integrated landscape.
• Presented my team's achievements and future goals to client's CIO along with her entire leadership team.

Awards:
• Business Value Builder of the Year
• Project Star - 2018
• Emerging Leader

Social Works:
• Taught English to underprivileged children as part of an NGO for 6 months last year.
• (Nothing much else to mention here unfortunately)

Reasons for MBA –
Engineering has sharpened my technical and analytical ability which helped me succeed in a leadership role in my career. Starting as a Software Engineer and moving on to become a client-facing Consultant in my time working for a consulting firm was a natural transition because of the experience that I gathered over the years in the project. After 5 years of my professional life, the next logical step for me to embark on is to learn the fundamentals of business and leadership so that I am ready to take up the challenge of being a strategy consultant/manager for a technology firm that deals with providing its customers the best experience whilst fulfilling their needs. I believe an MBA would help me achieve this goal and would prepare me personally and professionally to be successful in my dream career.

Post-MBA goals:
Take up a Technology Strategy Consultant role preferably in Big Tech Firm (To be part of future direction that an incumbent firm takes is more challenging since it already has high expectations to meet).

-Completed Level 1 of Music Theory - Trinity College while learning guitar.
-Intern at an Event Management company - working as a coordinator and COVID-19 strategy advisor (ongoing)

Thank you for your time and consideration!
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi nishad2s,

Your overall profile is good with your work-ex being a major highlight of your profile. Your post-MBA career goal aligns very well with your past-expertise and an MBA makes sense for you now. This clear understanding of your future after the MBA will help you make a strong point in your essays and interviews. Talking about your GMAT score, I’ll be taking the help of some stats to go around that. The middle 80% of the students at Rotman and Ivey fall between 580-750 and 520-760 respectively. The average GMAT score at Rotman is 670. You already have a decent score if you plan to apply at Rotman and Ivey, but an above 700 score will compensate well for your low GPA in undergrad.

Moving on to the ECs, your music interest and interning at an event management company is very noteworthy and unique. It highlights your down-to-earth demeanour. You should be talking more about it, from its inception and actually getting into the activities and your learnings from them which you have extensively used in other areas of your life.

You have also shown a good career progression, exactly the kind of b-schools look for. You have demonstrated considerable leadership potential in the past and your client-facing roles must have honed your communication skills (which canada schools do stress). Rotman, especially, looks for how you have faced challenges. And I believe your work experience is a perfect testimonial to your resilience and innovation.

You must showcase your learnings in particular from your past experiences. This will give a managerial rather than operational perspective to your profile. Taking all this into account, I believe you have a well-drafted profile with all points coming together to form a typical MBA student profile at Rotman and Ivey.

If you'd like, we are happy to hop on a call some time this week to discuss your chances in further detail and help you connect with recent Rotman admits. I’ll be more than happy to assist you in your journey.

Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Testimonials

nishad2s wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Here is my profile. Could you give your honest take on it and let me know my chances at getting into Rotman and Ivey for their 2021 Intake?

Background:
Indian Male with 5 years of experience as a software developer and IT consultant.
Undergrad:
• Bachelor of Engineering in EXTC(Electronics and Telecommunications) University of Mumbai. Average: 59.1% (2014)

GMAT: 660 (Q:48 , V:32)
{Planning to retake soon, aiming for 710}

Work Experience:
Total-experience: 5 years
• Developer and IT consultant for a large media company.
• Worked at client location in Netherlands for about 3 years as field service domain specialist interacting with people from around the globe, especially Europeans.
• Tasks and Responsibilities:
1) Field Service Application Development and Management (30+ Modules including CRM application, a Mobile App and a Engineer scheduling application)
2) Priority issue resolution and coordination between multiple internal teams and 3rd party vendors. Simultaneously, keeping client stakeholders informed in a timely manner.
3) Ensure team's skill and knowledge development.
4) Consulting for application upgrade projects.
5) Project cost estimation.
6) Took an initiative to develop automation for regular and mundane tasks to free up my team's time so they can concentrate on more pressing customer concerns/issues.
• Led a core team of 5 people which was a subset of a large 'Service Experience' team of 22 members.
• Point of contact for the 'Service Experience' team for internal members, clients as well as 12 other teams in the client's complex integrated landscape.
• Presented my team's achievements and future goals to client's CIO along with her entire leadership team.

Awards:
• Business Value Builder of the Year
• Project Star - 2018
• Emerging Leader

Social Works:
• Taught English to underprivileged children as part of an NGO for 6 months last year.
• (Nothing much else to mention here unfortunately)

Reasons for MBA –
Engineering has sharpened my technical and analytical ability which helped me succeed in a leadership role in my career. Starting as a Software Engineer and moving on to become a client-facing Consultant in my time working for a consulting firm was a natural transition because of the experience that I gathered over the years in the project. After 5 years of my professional life, the next logical step for me to embark on is to learn the fundamentals of business and leadership so that I am ready to take up the challenge of being a strategy consultant/manager for a technology firm that deals with providing its customers the best experience whilst fulfilling their needs. I believe an MBA would help me achieve this goal and would prepare me personally and professionally to be successful in my dream career.

Post-MBA goals:
Take up a Technology Strategy Consultant role preferably in Big Tech Firm (To be part of future direction that an incumbent firm takes is more challenging since it already has high expectations to meet).

-Completed Level 1 of Music Theory - Trinity College while learning guitar.
-Intern at an Event Management company - working as a coordinator and COVID-19 strategy advisor (ongoing)

Thank you for your time and consideration!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Hi could you please evaluate my profile. I scored 660 q48 and v32. I have 7 years of work experience. 2 years in accenture as software engineer and 5 years in indian customs and cgst department as an inspector. There i was part of a project in which we implemented online writing of annual appraisals for 50000 officers. I was also awarded commendation letter for the same by director-general. Also i worked in refund procedures of indian customs . I was a state level basketball player during my school days and have many certificates in the same.

SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
Rutuja2 wrote:
Hello everyone,

Hey Rutuja2!

To commence your profile evaluation, I would say that your academic background is quite strong. Your GPA of 3.74 during your undergrad not only displays your academic prowess but also opens a lot of opportunities and doors to top business schools for you. Moreover, the fact that you continued this trend during your diploma and scored 8.2/10 further backs up the fact that you are an excellent student.

Your great academic performance coupled with the several scholarships bagged by you during your programs as well as your GMAT score of 680 authenticate your academic caliber and skills.

Coming on to your work experience, you have 3.5+ years of quality work experience and your professional achievements and recognitions, along with the brand name of your company definitely defines you as a competitive applicant for an MBA at your target schools. Here, talking about the kind of projects you have undertaken, the impact you created and your career progression with major learning takeaways would definitely showcase the quality of your work and help you differentiate yourself from your competition.

Further, on the note of extracurriculars, you must be cognizant of the fact that schools seek applicants having a holistic profile. It is great to see that you have undertaken several extracurricular activities as well. Your active involvement in several CSR initiatives and volunteering activities showcase your active community involvement and zeal to utilize your skills for the betterment of the society, a trait held in high regard by the admissions committee. Your active involvement in the debate society of your college highlights your excellent communication skills, while your participation in the competition displays your leadership and project management skills. Overall, I would say that you do have a well-rounded and holistically developed profile.

Given your school choices, I would say that Rotman and Ivey fall under the upper competitive category which converts your chances of acceptance into the program to 50-60%. Taking this into consideration, when applying to B schools it is a better strategy to hedge your bets wisely and apply to a mixed bunch of 6-8 schools. Hence, given your competitive profile and your proclivity towards Canadian schools, you can also target other schools such as Schulich, HEC Montreal, Queens, Waterloo, Victoria etc.

Another aspect that I would like to draw your attention towards is the importance of the application. A strong application holds 30% of weightage in the entire admission process and as you would be competing with other candidates with similar strong profiles, it becomes imperative that you craft an application that successfully highlights not only your calibre but also your potential to add value to the school.

Since you wish to apply to some of the top-notch and highly competitive schools in the world, I’d suggest you book a free consultation call with our expert consultants who would clear any doubts you may have regarding the admission process and would help you chalk out a winning strategy that would definitely earn you an admit from your dream school.

Link for the FREE Consultation Call:

Hope this helped!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Barkhayot wrote:
Female applicant.
Gmat 720
Thanx ahead.

Hey Barkhayot,

To begin with, your international experience in the United States along with the gratuity letter serves as a crucial value addition to your profile. Ensure you highlight what kind of learnings it gave you, what were your takeaways from these trips and how it helped you to grow and develop a broader perspective.  Most schools are looking to add diversity to their cohort and your background gives you a unique perspective which definitely will give you an upper hand in the selection process.

Academically, your GPA is on the lower end, but posing the right alibi for the same would allow you to overcome this drawback in your profile. While your grades do play an important part, but in the case of an MBA, it will not significantly matter as an MBA focuses more on the quality of work experience that an applicant has.

As far as your work experience goes since an MBA is a manager's degree and requires significant work experience, your 6 years of entrepreneurial work experience would put you at par with other applicants. Since any entrepreneurial endeavor is accompanied by a lot of allied activities, you should dig deeper into this aspect and bring out varied skills in your profile such as your role of leading teams or strategizing plans to build the venture. This could be perceived as a great value addition to the schools that you are targeting.

Coming to your extracurriculars, you have a lot of social volunteering experiences which are again great value additions. These showcase your ability to spearhead initiatives, impact others, and empathize with other people. B-schools are looking for applicants that are future leaders and such experiences and qualities most certainly vouch for your abilities and strengthen your application.

Talking about your GMAT score, 720 is pretty competitive and would allow you to comfortably target most of the top B schools. As for the schools under your radar, Rotman and Sauder fall in the upper-competitive category while Melbourne and Katz fall in the competitive category. Having said that, your chance acceptance in the former would be around 60% and 70% in the competitive category.

Now, speaking of scholarships, you have two types of scholarships - merit-based and need-based scholarships.  So you can be targeting either of the two. While you have a competitive profile, you need to be aware that you will face competition from applicants having similar or maybe even better profiles, thus, to increase your chances of getting admitted to these schools and bagging a hefty scholarship, you would need to ensure that you have a very strong application that sets you apart from the applicant pool and vouches for overshadowing the weak areas of your profile.

Further, if you need a more in-depth profile evaluation for a thorough understanding of your strengths and weaknesses, ways to build your profile further, and a more comprehensive and personalized list of schools you can be targeting, you can email us your resume at info@mim-essay.com, or you can also check out this free profile evaluation tool for the same.

Click the link below to receive your free profile evaluation:

https://www.mim-essay.com/profile-evaluation/

Hope this helped!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hi all, Looking for evaluation of my profile for Ph.D. I have applied to Rotman, Sauder and Schulich. GMAT - 670 (Q48,V34,IR3), B.E.Industrial Engg (NIT Allahabad) - GPA 3.5, MSc HRM - Merit(Uni. Of Salford,UK), 17 yrs of Engineering and HR experience in India, UAE and Singapore. Community service as part of Lion Club, Extracurricular- College Badminton Captain, Cycling and Hiking. Indian, 40 yrs age.Expecting Fully funded pH.D. with stipend to pursue pH.D.

SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
Chirantan098 wrote:
Hi could you please evaluate my profile. I scored 660 q48 and v32. I have 7 years of work experience. 2 years in accenture as software engineer and 5 years in indian customs and cgst department as an inspector. There i was part of a project in which we implemented online writing of annual appraisals for 50000 officers. I was also awarded commendation letter for the same by director-general. Also i worked in refund procedures of indian customs . I was a state level basketball player during my school days and have many certificates in the same.

Hey Chirantan098,

Before I start with your profile evaluation, I’d like to clarify that other than the GMAT score and work experience, there are lots of other factors like your academics and GPA, extracurriculars, and achievements, that play an important role in your chance acceptance and thus getting an admit from the top schools.

That said, you have provided limited information for me to give you an accurate estimation of your chances in a school like Rotman, however, let’s begin with your profile evaluation.

To begin with, a GMAT score of 660 is pretty competitive for a business school like Rotman but an average of 690 is what would be ideally required. Therefore, I would highly recommend that you retake the GMAT to improve your score by 30-40 points to increase your chances of acceptance.

Coming to your academics, you haven’t presented any information about your GPA that plays an important role in your chance of acceptance into the top schools like Rotman, and therefore I would like to tell you that you need to have at least a 3.0 or above (equivalent 4 point GPA) for the same.

As far as your work experience goes, since an MBA is a manager's degree and requires significant work experience, your 7 years of work experience in varied roles like Indian Customs and CGST Inspector being unique, would differentiate you from the cohort and thus give you an upper-hand in the competition. Also, MBA specializations require the students to showcase leadership skills and initiative-taking capabilities, hence you ought to explain and highlight the major projects of your work and how these experiences helped you develop and further groom your skills and knowledge.

Moreover, the presence of a big brand in your CV is an added feather to your hat as you will be competing against a pool of applicants hailing from similar backgrounds. Here, showcasing your journey and the learnings gathered through this experience would allow you to differentiate yourself and thereby gain an upper hand with equally competent profiles with extensive work experience hailing from equally good brands.

Since you haven’t provided any information regarding your extracurriculars, I would like to tell you that your extracurricular activities are equally important as AdComs are looking for applicants with holistically developed profiles. Thus, it is essential to shed light on the endeavors you’ve taken up at the clubs, associations, or events you managed or participated in most recently. You can also throw in a few endeavors related to upskilling yourself, for example, courses or certifications taken up related to your field of interest.

Now coming onto your chances of acceptance at Rotman, I’d suggest you drop in the missing details of your profile such as your extracurricular activities and details regarding academic qualifications on our mail address info@mim-essay.com so I could present you with apt suggestions.

Alternatively, you can take up a FREE Profile Evaluation that will give you more accurate and personalized suggestions based on your inputs. Click on the link below to avail your free evaluation:

https://www.mim-essay.com/profile-evaluation

Hope this helped!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26  ...  30   
Moderator:
Stanford and Rotman Moderator
72 posts