Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 22:52 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 22:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
Schools: ISB'22 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Gylmitul,

You have got a great profile. Starting with your stats, your undergrad GPA is good, and for Rotman, a GMAT score of 680+ would work, but if you may target any other school, I recommend going for at least a 690+ and the higher, the better, it will help compensate for other aspects of your profile. Now, for your work experience, I can clearly see career progression in your profile and some elements of impact (your contribution to pitches) and definitely some interesting elements like co-authoring newsletters, etc. You also provide for the leadership attribute through your ECs and I hope you have some leadership experience in your work too. For your ECs, they are a bit outdated. I would suggest include something that you do now, it can be anything, from the simplest of your hobbies to some community service. Because it's important to know a person beyond work.

Coming to your post-MBA goals, they are very general. Everyone from a finance background wants to get a good position at a big investment banking firm. What sets you distinct? Ponder over it this way: what is your motivation in life? What do you want to achieve in the long-term? And, then come to the short-term goals through which you'll achieve those long-term goals. While you do that, you are always welcome to hop on a call with us to discuss your career goals and your chances to some good schools in detail. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Kashish Garg
Community Manager, MBA and Beyond

On behalf of
Shantanu Sharma, INSEAD alumnus
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Schedule a free session
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
Gylmitul wrote:
Hi guys!

It would be of great help if some of you can provide me some inputs on my profile.

Gylmitul wrote:
Hi All
I am evaluating opportunities for pursuing my MBA from Rotman SOM and it would be great if I can get some inputs on my profile and areas for improvement based on the details mentioned below. Also, I'm yet to take my GMAT and so would love to understand what a competitive GMAT score would be for me:

1. Demographics: I am an Indian female (24 years old) with a finance and accounting background.

2. Undergrad Information: B.com Honours at Shaheed Bhagat Singh College, Delhi University (T2 college)

3. GPA: 76% aggregate, passed first division (we do not have a GPA/ percentile system at Delhi University)

4. Work experience and leadership: I will have 3 years of total work experience by September 2020 which will include:

- ~2.5 years as a Senior Analyst at a Big Four in front-end Investment Banking with a focus on the retail and consumer sector. I was promoted last year and received a rating of 1 (scale of 1-5, with 1 being the highest)[/i] and was due for promotion this year as well which unfortunately got deferred to next year in the light of the current pandemic situation.
- I have worked on several buy-side and sell-side M&A/PE transactions in the past two years and have also co-authored few thought leaderships and newsletters published by PwC India in the consumer sector.

- My responsibilities have included deal origination (development of pitch books), financial modeling, preparation of information memos and assisting in due-diligence. I have also significantly contributed to pitches for two large marquee companies for which we got the mandate and are currently working on deal execution.

- 5 months at EY GDS in Assurance

6. Extra Curriculars:

- I was the President of the Finance Cell in my college where we conducted multiple events and fests like strategy games, mock stocks, Bplans etc.,

- I was also a member of the entrepreneurship cell in my college.

7 .Post MBA Goals:

- My POST MBA goal is to get positions at leading management consulting or investment banking firms.

- My limited experience in financial advisory has allowed me to develop a preliminary understanding of the industry and has provided me with technical and interpersonal skills required in the sector.

- While, I enjoy what I currently do, I believe that an MBA from a top business school would allow me to grow faster, enhance my - technical, business and management skills further as well as build my network to advance to the next level in my career.

Upon going through the topics for the application essays for this year, I am a little unsure if I have the desired "spike factor" that the school seems to be looking for.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi everyone.
I would love to get my profile evaluated.

Background:
IT Engineer Male Indian

Education
10th grade : 93%
12th grade: 94.75%
CGPA: 8.6 ( Manipal Institute of Technology)
GMAT: 700

Work Experience:
2 years in Cisco. Worked as a software developer/scrum master for an important Cisco service used in 180 countries and generating an annual revenue of 6 Billion.
3 month Internship in Istanbul: Was stuck there when the military coup took place. Lots of good stories around that.
Founder of a startup in college. Got multiple contracts from various hotels and universities.

Extra- Curricular Activities:
Cisco Intern Ambassador : Point of contact between 240+ Cisco Interns and the management. Worked with them to improve the internship experience.
Vice-President, Indian Society for Technical Education : Led a team of 200+ to organize events in college
Category Head,Technical Fest : Made improvements to the events to improve participation by 50% to 1200 people. Led a team of 100+.
Worked at an NGO (MAD) for 2+ years as a mentor training volunteers. Responsible for the curriculum planning of 14 teachers and overall study schedule of 60+children.
Various performance awards at work.
State-level Swimmer.
Vice-President of my school.

Post MBA goals

Product Management/ Consulting
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V40
Send PM
Hi Everyone,

I am planning to apply for the Rotman Full-Time MBA for Fall 2021. It would be of great help if someone could evaluate my profile and give me some inputs regarding the application.

10th: 10 CGPA
12th: 96.8%
Undergrad GPA : 3.7
GMAT Score: 700(44Q,40V)

Work Experience: I have a total 2 years of work experience to date. I worked as a Risk Management Analyst at Deloitte for about 1.5 years. Then I switched streams as
an Associate QE Engineer at a Software Company. So my current job includes software testing automation and I am solely responsible for the testing
of a microservice.

Extra-Curriculars: 1. Finance Head of IEEE chapter at my University.
2. Been a member of AIESEC Vizag.
3. Volunteered at Teach for Change Hyderabad where I taught English to class 3 children at a government school.
4. I have a poetry blog online at wordpress.com which I have been writing for about 4 years.
5. An NSS volunteer.

Post MBA: Consulting

I am aware that my work experience is towards the lowers end. But I want to know if my profile overall would be good enough. Also I would have more than 2.5 years of work experience by the time i would have to join.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hello PranaviKr,

As you said, your experience is on the lower end. Your GMAT is ok for Rotman, but what what I am more interested in knowing is your AWA score, as Rotman places a lit of importance to it. I am assuming you are an enginner, but you haven't mentioned your degree and your college here. Your WE and Volunteering is impressive, but what I am curious to know is why you changed course in your jobs. Your chances would depend on answers to all these questions. Rotman is going to be competitive this year.
One last tip would be to apply definitely by Round 2 for any realistic chances.
Hope this helps.
PranaviKr wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I am planning to apply for the Rotman Full-Time MBA for Fall 2021. It would be of great help if someone could evaluate my profile and give me some inputs regarding the application.

Work Experience: I have a total 2 years of work experience to date. I worked as a Risk Management Analyst at Deloitte for about 1.5 years. Then I switched streams as
an Associate QE Engineer at a Software Company. So my current job includes software testing automation and I am solely responsible for the testing
of a microservice.

3. Volunteered at Teach for Change Hyderabad where I taught English to class 3 children at a government school.
4. I have a poetry blog online at wordpress.com which I have been writing for about 4 years.
5. An NSS volunteer.

I am aware that my work experience is towards the lowers end. But I want to know if my profile overall would be good enough. Also I would have more than 2.5 years of work experience by the time i would have to join.

Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi PranaviKr,

Your stats are really great and gmat is much above the Rotman average. For your work-ex, 2.5 years is still low and if you are thinking to apply with this, you need a very robust professional experience with amazing examples of leadership and impact. Also, the worrisome part is you have changed your trajectory altogether from risk management to quality assurance engineer, so only if you have relevant reasons for the same, it may work in your favor. With these details, it's difficult for me to evaluate your profile better and comprehensively. About your work-ex, they seem good overall, the poetry blog seems interesting giving a great example of "Poets & Quants" in a single person. Also, you need a more detailed post-MBA goal with a good connection with your prior experience and it is easier said than done, especially with a lower amount of experience. So, to comment any further I need to know more details of your profile. You are welcome to reach out to us for any of your query and to discuss your career goals and chances to some good schools in detail. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Kashish Garg
Community Manager, MBA and Beyond

On behalf of
Shantanu Sharma
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
PranaviKr wrote:
Hi Everyone,

of a microservice.

5. An NSS volunteer.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 670 Q42 V40
Send PM
Background and nationality:
Canadian national, born and raised here. Currently living in Montreal, native English speaker but also speak good French. Played Varisty rugby for 4 years for my university in the BC Premiership, would've played semi-professional after university by my career was ended early due to having a back tumour (more on that below).

Undergrad Information: 3.1, Bachelor of Arts (History) with Minor in Business.
GMAT: 670 (Q 42, V 40).

Work experience and leadership: Will be matriculating with 4 years of experience, 3 of those years as a manager. After 10 months of my first job post-uni, I was promoted to our National Operations Manager, overseeing 16 staff across Canada & Hawaii (Beverage distribution organisation). Did that for a year, moved to Montreal, and I solely managed our Eastern Canada team. Huge reorganisation because of COVID, now I manage our supply chain network across Canada and relationships with our 3rd party distributors.

Community and others
After recovering from surgery, I started playing amateur rugby again. I also volunteer as a coach at our local club, but sadly due to COVID I wasnt able to do that.

Post MBA goals
Environmental/sustainability consulting. My current company is a B-Corp and is carbon negative, and are working with other companies on how they can lessen their carbon footprint. I'm very passionate about our environmental footprint in the world and want to help other companies lower their resource usage and make a large change on how the private business world affects our environment.

Anything else?: Low GPA for two reasons - first year I was in Astrophysics, and hated it. Didn't do well at all, around 2.5 GPA. Switched programs, really enjoyed my uni after and did well. Final semester of university, I was diagnosed with a benign tumour in my spinal cord which really through my studies up into the air! Should've deferred, but didn't. Finished final semester with a 3.4 average.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V40
Send PM
RUCHIPCONSULTING wrote:
Hello PranaviKr,

As you said, your experience is on the lower end. Your GMAT is ok for Rotman, but what what I am more interested in knowing is your AWA score, as Rotman places a lit of importance to it. I am assuming you are an enginner, but you haven't mentioned your degree and your college here. Your WE and Volunteering is impressive, but what I am curious to know is why you changed course in your jobs. Your chances would depend on answers to all these questions. Rotman is going to be competitive this year.
One last tip would be to apply definitely by Round 2 for any realistic chances.
Hope this helps.
PranaviKr wrote:
Hi Everyone,

of a microservice.

5. An NSS volunteer.

Hi,

Thank you for the evaluation.

I am an Electronics and Communications engineer from Gitam University Vizag.
Schooling: Delhi Public School
I have a very average AWA score of 4.5
Would you suggest that I retake GMAT?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 1305
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
WE:Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Here I go:

Background and nationality: 27-year-old male born and brought up in India. Did my schooling from convent school and scored 88% and 85% in 10th and 12th standard.

Undergrad Information: Mechanical Engineering from BITS Pilani (8th ranking in India), GPA - 7.55 (In Indian scale)

GMAT: Yet to be taken (Mocks 700-720). Aiming 750, Let's see!

Work experience and leadership:5.5 years of experience in research consulting, venture capital, and corporate development.

At the starting of my career working in a startup for 2.5 years. Used to advise private equity, venture capital funds, and corporate development offices in investing in startups. Also worked in an AIF-1 fund (venture capital fund) as an investment analyst. Worked on 4 early-stage deals in the technology sector. All 4 companies have raised 3 follow-on rounds till now.

Left this company to join the corporate development team of the largest private sector Bank in India. Currently working as Senior Chief Manager in the largest private sector bank in India, looking after strategic startup investments, innovation and digital strategy of the Bank, and investor relations. Reporting to Head of Innovation and Strategy Team and super-reporting to Executive Director of the Bank. Promoted twice in last 2 years. Global exposure as well by working on foreign private equity deals, specifically with US, Chinese and Korean clients.

Community and others:
Mentor to technology startups.
Board observer of 5 technology startups.

Post MBA goals: Venture Capital or heading corporate development as a short term goal. Opening up an early-stage venture capital fund - long term goal.

Kindly evaluate my profile and suggest a honest gmat score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
I am planning to apply for the Rotman Full-Time MBA for Fall 2021. It would be of great help if someone could evaluate my profile and give me some inputs regarding the application and a safe GRE score (I will give GRE in coming weeks)

Demographics: Indian female (27 years) with experience in finance and investment banking domain

Academic Information: Bachelors in Business Economics from Delhi University; CGPA - 3.5 (University gold medalist with highest aggregate score); CFA Level III candidate

GRE: Yet to be taken

Work experience and leadership:~5 years of experience in financial research and investment banking domain

1. Evalueserve: Joined as Business Analyst in Jul'18 and promoted to Senior Business Analyst in Dec'19; Currently works as an FTE with New York-based BNP Paribas office; Manages 3 FTE team in project management matrix; Works on pitch books, CIMs, profiles, screenings, comps, and other ad-hoc projects; Also supported TD, Evercore, BCG, Handelsbanken, and Harris William as shadow analyst on various ad-hoc projects; Provided comprehensive training to four individuals on IB products

2. S&P Global Market Intelligence: Joined as Research Associate in Oct'15 and promoted to Research Associate I in Aug'17; Supported investment banks and consulting firms on requests related to financial line items, transaction details, quick comps, profiles, etc; Trained two individuals; Lead few projects under project management matrix

Community and others: Volunteered at NGOs under CSR program at S&P; Performed street plays and flash mobs at public places on issues related to child labor, superstition, female education, etc; Taught kids from lower-income families free of cost

Extra-Curriculars: Participated in Financial Literacy campaign organized by Reserve Bank of India; Completed EVOLVE leadership development program; Class Representative throughout three years of graduation; Won various inter-college competitions related to debate, general quiz and case studies; Organized Inter College Economics Fest

Post MBA Goal: break into front end position at big Investment Bank

Kindly evaluate my profile and suggest an honest GRE score

Thanks!
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Send PM