Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 14:40 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE:Brand Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hello nikhilbhat,

You have a competitive profile for Rotman except for GMAT. A couple of things though. Though your GMAT comes close to the average GMAT at Rotman, if possible, aim for a higher GMAT.
You may also want to specify how your first div stacks up against peers, e.g., top 10 percentile of the class, etc. Just checking the box may not be enough.
Rotman also looks at AWA scores closely (in your case they are good).
Competition may be tougher this year compared to last year, with increased applicant pool. Being an international, you may want to definitely apply by Round 1 for increased chances and as advocated by Rotman AdCom.
Hope this helps.
nikhilbhat wrote:
Hi All

I am based out of India and I am planning to apply to Rotman in R1. Some evaluation on my profile will help me put the best foot forward.

Please find below the details of my work experience.

GMAT-660(Q47, V34, IR5, AWA-5)
POST GRAD GOALS:
Work as a Product Manager/Brand manager in Top E-Commerce or FCG firms

WORK EXPERIENCE:

HONDA TWO WHEELERS INDIA PVT LTD
Associate Product Manager (Mar 2018 – Till Date)

• Product Incharge of overall Scooter portfolio (Total: $950 million/yr. revenue)
• Responsible for developing new price perception based model (Segment top priority features & perceived values) for 125cc ATSC Segment. It provides a key understanding on perceived feature prices of the customers which led to a more feature based approach towards the pricing strategy of new BS-VI (new emission standards) models.
• Successfully lead the cross-functional team for Bharat Stage-VI lineup introduction, finalized key strategies for product mix, pricing and marketing; successfully becoming the first maker to introduce BSVI vehicles in India.
• Using market analytics, finalized three key states in which industry was growing and Honda was stagnant; created positioning and profitability scenario for Honda Dio (Scooter), improving market share by 6% (9200 Units).

YAMAHA INDIA PVT LTD
Supply Chain Analyst (Feb 2015-Mar 2018)
• Responsible for Procuring Plastic, Proprietary Parts as direct Material for Production Line. Also manage identification and forecasting of suppliers that may impact production, ensuring smooth supply.
• Responsible for activity based Costing & Zero based Costing based on type of Part & Supplier.
• Reduced the discrepancy rate from 1100ppm to 500ppm of assigned vendors by applying Pareto principle.
• Implemented the supply of colored parts as disintegrated units, reducing backorders by 36%.
• Analyzed market requirements and redeveloped 3 RX 100 parts, re-gaining lost profit of 2.2 Million INR.
• Implemented Purchase Order Stabilization activity, which increased the target day wise PO receiving by 12%.

AWARDS AND RECOGNISATION:

• Awarded 2nd position in overall GET batch of 2015 for effectively analyzing and proposing a restructuring of warehouse which in turn reduced the overall parts receiving to binning time by 25%.
• Awarded for creating a two-wheeler industry SEC (Socio Economic Classification) database for ~34000 customers
• Captain of Volleyball team that was interschool winner for 2 years - 2008 & 2009.

ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS:

2010-2014
Maharishi Dayanand University (B-Tech Mechanical)
First Division (62.4%) - (Checked - An First Division in Recognised Indian University is eligible to Apply)

EXTRACURRICULAR INTERESTS, ACTIVITIES, ACHIEVEMENTS:

• Work for a nationally recognised NGO as funds manager for raising funds and other types of financial support and have also designed a unique system to effectively check whether the applicant profile is worthy/correct for support.
• Volunteer with a Foundation for events such as cultural event, job fairs, and information seminars.
• Avid motorcycle rider – Done Khardungla pass (Height – 18380 feet) twice, and multiple intercity long rides.

Thanks and Regards

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE:Brand Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Thankyou for the Evaluation.

Can you kindly suggest how much GMAT score would be competitive, considering my profile?

Regards

RUCHIPCONSULTING wrote:
Hello nikhilbhat,

You have a competitive profile for Rotman except for GMAT. A couple of things though. Though your GMAT comes close to the average GMAT at Rotman, if possible, aim for a higher GMAT.
You may also want to specify how your first div stacks up against peers, e.g., top 10 percentile of the class, etc. Just checking the box may not be enough.
Competition may be tougher this year compared to last year, with increased applicant pool. Being an international, you may want to definitely apply by Round 1 for increased chances and as advocated by Rotman AdCom.
Hope this helps.
nikhilbhat wrote:
Hi All

I am based out of India and I am planning to apply to Rotman in R1. Some evaluation on my profile will help me put the best foot forward.

POST GRAD GOALS:

WORK EXPERIENCE:

• Product Incharge of overall Scooter portfolio (Total: $950 million/yr. revenue)
• Responsible for developing new price perception based model (Segment top priority features & perceived values) for 125cc ATSC Segment. It provides a key understanding on perceived feature prices of the customers which led to a more feature based approach towards the pricing strategy of new BS-VI (new emission standards) models.
• Successfully lead the cross-functional team for Bharat Stage-VI lineup introduction, finalized key strategies for product mix, pricing and marketing; successfully becoming the first maker to introduce BSVI vehicles in India.
• Using market analytics, finalized three key states in which industry was growing and Honda was stagnant; created positioning and profitability scenario for Honda Dio (Scooter), improving market share by 6% (9200 Units).

YAMAHA INDIA PVT LTD
• Responsible for Procuring Plastic, Proprietary Parts as direct Material for Production Line. Also manage identification and forecasting of suppliers that may impact production, ensuring smooth supply.
• Responsible for activity based Costing & Zero based Costing based on type of Part & Supplier.
• Reduced the discrepancy rate from 1100ppm to 500ppm of assigned vendors by applying Pareto principle.
• Implemented the supply of colored parts as disintegrated units, reducing backorders by 36%.
• Analyzed market requirements and redeveloped 3 RX 100 parts, re-gaining lost profit of 2.2 Million INR.
• Implemented Purchase Order Stabilization activity, which increased the target day wise PO receiving by 12%.

• Awarded 2nd position in overall GET batch of 2015 for effectively analyzing and proposing a restructuring of warehouse which in turn reduced the overall parts receiving to binning time by 25%.
• Awarded for creating a two-wheeler industry SEC (Socio Economic Classification) database for ~34000 customers
• Captain of Volleyball team that was interschool winner for 2 years - 2008 & 2009.

ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS:

2010-2014
First Division (62.4%) - (Checked - An First Division in Recognised Indian University is eligible to Apply)

• Work for a nationally recognised NGO as funds manager for raising funds and other types of financial support and have also designed a unique system to effectively check whether the applicant profile is worthy/correct for support.
• Volunteer with a Foundation for events such as cultural event, job fairs, and information seminars.
• Avid motorcycle rider – Done Khardungla pass (Height – 18380 feet) twice, and multiple intercity long rides.

Thanks and Regards

Manager
Manager
Send PM
A score of 690-700 should help boost your profile, though higher the better. One thing you may want to keep in mind is that you would need time to put in a good application too. If nothing, apply with a GMAT score of 660 alone. Not applying is always zero percent chance and you do have chances even with 660.

nikhilbhat wrote:
Thankyou for the Evaluation.

Can you kindly suggest how much GMAT score would be competitive, considering my profile?

Regards

RUCHIPCONSULTING wrote:
Hello nikhilbhat,

Hope this helps.
nikhilbhat wrote:
Hi All

POST GRAD GOALS:

WORK EXPERIENCE:

YAMAHA INDIA PVT LTD

ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS:

2010-2014

Thanks and Regards

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.48
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Hello RUCHIPCONSULTING,
Kindly review my profile for Rotman

an overview of my experience: ~4 Years in Sales Management entirely in a customer facing/ Execution role, and i want to transition into a Strategy role (Link between sales and Marketing)

Background and nationality

Nigerian Male, will be 27 by Matriculation date

Undergrad Information

BSc. Engineering Physics (Material Science Major) from Obafemi Awolowo University, 2016 (Among Top 5 Universities in Nigeria)

3.47/4 GPA

- Best Graduating Student, BSc. Eng. Physics

- Best Graduating student, Material Science Option

- Recipient of Lagos state Scholarship for High performing undergrads

- President, Physics and Engineering Physics Students Association

- Vice President, Physics and Engineering Physics Students Association

- Treasurer, Physics and Engineering Physics Students Association

GMAT:

September Test date

Work experience and leadership

2016-2017: Key Account Manager at Procter & Gamble (P&G) Nigeria

- I managed Stakeholders within my coverage area across the entire value chain for the company...From Distributors to the final consumers.

my main duties were split into two;

- Building the Organization: Responsible for Training and developing the regional distributor selling organization

- Building the Business: I led a Sales force of 30 Reps(across trade channels) to ensure availability of all P&G brands in over 10,000 points of purchase across two states in the South Southern part of Nigeria.

2017-2019: Area Sales Manager at Transmed Distribution & Logistics Nigeria

-Identified business opportunities in the region & with key accounts to increase market share & improve overall positioning of Transmed's brands

- Led the Expansion of the company's reach; Setting up the GTM, engaging stakeholders and Training the sales force, to new coverage areas in the South Southern Part of Nigeria

-Managed 6 direct reports (Field sales managers)

- Was Awarded the best Distribution expansion sales manager of the year.

2019-Present: Sales Manager at Pernod Ricard Nigeria

-I currently manage the end to end operations of regional distributors in the South Southern and Eastern parts of Nigeria...Main goal is to ensure all Pernod Ricard's brands are available at all points of purchase and consumption outlets in the region.

- Major highlight has been the successful introduction of Pernod Ricard's brands to 5 new states, and concurrently guiding Jameson to be the best selling and most distributed premium whiskey in two of these states.

- I work with the marketing team to craft consumer targeted plans and activation for my region.

Community and others

- Founding Member of Consonance Club; Consonance is a social enterprise that facilitates partnerships and collaboration towards the collective good. The journey started with supporting the development of Africa by investing in the young tech enthusiasts, and has morphed into facilitating collaborations among innovators, builders and entrepreneurs.

-Founding Member, Cloudshot Technology Limited; Cloudshot is a technology organization aimed at creating innovative means to solving problems using technology. We taught practical engineering classes to undergraduates, and also provided web and mobile solutions to problems identified in the school community. these impacts earned myself and other founding members mentions as part of the "Top 100 Students that shaped Obafemi Awolowo University in 2015" (https://www.oaupeeps.com/2016/02/oya-mag ... t.html?m=1)

-Electoral Chairman, Faculty of Science, Obafemi Awolowo University :I led a 5 Man electoral team that oversaw the electioneering process in the largest Faculty (over 5000 students) in the university, and recorded a little over 50% election day turnout (highest in recent times). the integrity of the whole process was upheld via systems put in place to guarantee the interest of the students was priority. this earned me a mention in one of the top Online magazines on campus (https://www.oaupeeps.com/2016/03/nass-oa ... l.html?m=1)

-Adventure Traveller: i've visited 25 of the 36 states in Nigeria

Post MBA goals

Having spent the bulk of my career interacting and relating with different profile of customers and consumers across the consumer goods industry (From HPC to Food, and Spirits & Wines) and also working in different organizational structures, i've been able to garner a diversity of experience on what people want, and how they react to different offerings. I would love to transition into a Strategy role where i can further anticipate consumer wants and needs via market insights and data, and offer better propositions to the Execution teams.

Ideal Post MBA roles; Market Strategy & Planning, Revenue growth Management and Brand/Product Management.

Industires: Consumer goods and Tech.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hello Phemyodu58,
You have a sound profile for Rotman academically, professionally and in terms of EC and volunteering too. Coming from an underrepresented country (Nigeria) in terms of class profile, will help you distinguish even further.
However, I can provide a more conclusive answer after knowing your GMAT score or estimated GMAT score. Remember to apply by Round 2 (since your GMAT date is September Round 1 may be a reach unless it is early September, which can give you time to submit a competitive application by Round 1 deadline). A few tips for you:
1) Make sure to do well in your AWA section of GMAT as well
2) Though your WE is impressive, the way it is presented currently, does not show any progression or growth. It seems you have been doing the same type of work (albeit good) since you started working. You may want to rework on resume showing growth, i.e., what additional responsibilities have you had over years, your designations look the same, etc.
3) I do not much see a connection between your WE and your post MBA goals. For the purpose of the application, you may want to tweak that a little.
Hope this helps.

Phemyodu58 wrote:
Hello RUCHIPCONSULTING,

an overview of my experience: ~4 Years in Sales Management entirely in a customer facing/ Execution role, and i want to transition into a Strategy role (Link between sales and Marketing)

Undergrad Information

BSc. Engineering Physics (Material Science Major) from Obafemi Awolowo University, 2016 (Among Top 5 Universities in Nigeria)

3.47/4 GPA

GMAT:

September Test date

- I managed Stakeholders within my coverage area across the entire value chain for the company...From Distributors to the final consumers.

- Building the Organization: Responsible for Training and developing the regional distributor selling organization

- Building the Business: I led a Sales force of 30 Reps(across trade channels) to ensure availability of all P&G brands in over 10,000 points of purchase across two states in the South Southern part of Nigeria.

-Identified business opportunities in the region & with key accounts to increase market share & improve overall positioning of Transmed's brands

- Led the Expansion of the company's reach; Setting up the GTM, engaging stakeholders and Training the sales force, to new coverage areas in the South Southern Part of Nigeria

-I currently manage the end to end operations of regional distributors in the South Southern and Eastern parts of Nigeria...Main goal is to ensure all Pernod Ricard's brands are available at all points of purchase and consumption outlets in the region.

- Major highlight has been the successful introduction of Pernod Ricard's brands to 5 new states, and concurrently guiding Jameson to be the best selling and most distributed premium whiskey in two of these states.

- I work with the marketing team to craft consumer targeted plans and activation for my region.

Community and others

- Founding Member of Consonance Club; Consonance is a social enterprise that facilitates partnerships and collaboration towards the collective good. The journey started with supporting the development of Africa by investing in the young tech enthusiasts, and has morphed into facilitating collaborations among innovators, builders and entrepreneurs.

-Founding Member, Cloudshot Technology Limited; Cloudshot is a technology organization aimed at creating innovative means to solving problems using technology. We taught practical engineering classes to undergraduates, and also provided web and mobile solutions to problems identified in the school community. these impacts earned myself and other founding members mentions as part of the "Top 100 Students that shaped Obafemi Awolowo University in 2015" (https://www.oaupeeps.com/2016/02/oya-mag ... t.html?m=1)

-Electoral Chairman, Faculty of Science, Obafemi Awolowo University :I led a 5 Man electoral team that oversaw the electioneering process in the largest Faculty (over 5000 students) in the university, and recorded a little over 50% election day turnout (highest in recent times). the integrity of the whole process was upheld via systems put in place to guarantee the interest of the students was priority. this earned me a mention in one of the top Online magazines on campus (https://www.oaupeeps.com/2016/03/nass-oa ... l.html?m=1)

Post MBA goals

Having spent the bulk of my career interacting and relating with different profile of customers and consumers across the consumer goods industry (From HPC to Food, and Spirits & Wines) and also working in different organizational structures, i've been able to garner a diversity of experience on what people want, and how they react to different offerings. I would love to transition into a Strategy role where i can further anticipate consumer wants and needs via market insights and data, and offer better propositions to the Execution teams.

Ideal Post MBA roles; Market Strategy & Planning, Revenue growth Management and Brand/Product Management.

BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 392 [1]
Given Kudos: 93
GRE 1: Q166 V159

GRE 2: Q165 V156

GRE 3: Q166 V159
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Kudos
Indian, Male , Engineer from Delhi technological university (A well known name with top 10 Universities in India )
First Class Distinction -75%+ , don't know how to translate that to GPA . This is top 10% of my class
4 years of work experience in Cleantech (Solar Energy mainly) inclusive of one year international experience in Abu Dhabi , UAE (and the other three in India )
Diverse working experience with multifarious nationalities -Spanish, French, American ,Indian , Pakistanis,Emiratis, Saudis, Lebanese , Germans etc
GRE : 322 (Q165 V157) Alas
Achievements: 1.School topper throughout. 2.)50% increase in salary within 6 months of joining the organization owing to potential and achievement 2.Realised increment of salary 500% in 4 years by changing geogrphy, realized increments of 95% within the same geography 3. Nominated to visit different countries: France, South Africa, Azerbaijan , Bangladesh. 4.) Awarded unsolicited bonus for being a high performer in 2019 5.) Involved in projects totaling over 5 billion dollars.
Post MBA Goals: Consulting, Tech, clean Tech(Energy)
Volunteering experience: Minimal. Moderator for Gmatclub/gre prep club, moderator for a https://gmatclub.com/chat preparation group with over 100 dedicated students who switched from Gmat to GRE
MOOCs: Investment management virtual internship from Future Im/pact
Virtual intership Stratergy Consulting BCG (yet to complete)

Should I bother applying , i think too much competiion and my profile doesn't fit .Not to mention abysmal GRE scores
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [2]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
For people working on Rotman 2021 application. Here my take on how you can tackle its essays.
There's information on deadlines too in the post.

https://bit.ly/2E0oC9z

Hope it helps.

Best,
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.48
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Thank you for the honest review.
Feedbacks duly noted.

RUCHIPCONSULTING wrote:
Hello Phemyodu58,
You have a sound profile for Rotman academically, professionally and in terms of EC and volunteering too. Coming from an underrepresented country (Nigeria) in terms of class profile, will help you distinguish even further.
However, I can provide a more conclusive answer after knowing your GMAT score or estimated GMAT score. Remember to apply by Round 2 (since your GMAT date is September Round 1 may be a reach unless it is early September, which can give you time to submit a competitive application by Round 1 deadline). A few tips for you:
1) Make sure to do well in your AWA section of GMAT as well
2) Though your WE is impressive, the way it is presented currently, does not show any progression or growth. It seems you have been doing the same type of work (albeit good) since you started working. You may want to rework on resume showing growth, i.e., what additional responsibilities have you had over years, your designations look the same, etc.
3) I do not much see a connection between your WE and your post MBA goals. For the purpose of the application, you may want to tweak that a little.
Hope this helps.

Phemyodu58 wrote:
Hello RUCHIPCONSULTING,

Undergrad Information

3.47/4 GPA

GMAT:

September Test date

Community and others

Post MBA goals

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38 (Online)
GPA: 3.16
Send PM
Kudos
Hi everyone, could anyone help evaluate my profile for a shot at UofT - hoping i have a good shot here since this is on the top of my list.

Profile:
Nationality: Pakistan (Might be an underrepresented nationality)

Undergrad: Bachelors in Science (Honors) - Major (Accounting and Finance) - 3.2 GPA (Lahore University of Management Sciences)

GMAT: 700 (Q48, V38, IR 4) - Online GMAT Hence no AWA

Work Experience: 3 Years
1 Year in a Burgeoning Startup Attempting to Create Livelihood for Local Farmer Population
2 Years in Friesland Campina as Assistant Manager Sales and Operational Planning
-Joined as a Management Trainee, to be promoted to full time at the above role in January 2021.
-Main Charges:
1. Forecasting Sales of Company's Portfolio and Creating Lifting Plans for Primary Sales
2. Analyzing Retail Data to Develop Sales Strategies
3. Creating Trade Strategies to maximize monthly sales.
4. Scheduling Movement of Stocks to ensure Regional Demand is met on a monthly basis.

Awards: Topped Country in Additional Mathematics in IGCSE Exams

Co-Curricular: None - however a documented creative streak (write my own blog and have self published a small novella describing life in University, also delivered a University Level Talk on Video Game Addiction)

Internships: Multiple Local as well as Single International Internship in China at an International Accounting/Tax Firm

Letters of Recommendation: Planning on getting 2 from Directors at Pakistani OPCO's of Multi National Companies who I've worked with previously.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 179
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GRE 1: Q161 V160
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
Hi Team,

I'd love to have my profile evaluated :

Background and nationality : Indian Male(non-engineer)

Undergrad Information : Bachelor of Science in Hospitality Management and Hotel Administration

GMAT: Will appear next month(expecting 650 realistically)

Work experience and leadership :

7.5 years Work Experience :-
- 2 years as a Sales Executive with Taj Hotels
- 7 months as an Assistant Sales Manager at a Regional Sales office of a 5-star hotel and convention centre.
- 1.5 years as Sales Manager with an Inbound Travel Company
- 4.5 years as a Naturalist/Professional wildlife guide at a Luxury Safari Company under the Taj Hotels Brand. Am deeply passionate about wildlife and wanted to get closer to understanding the natural world through working in such areas. Banking on this aspect of work experience as a differentiating factor.

As a trained Naturalist, I have lived in deeply rural wilderness areas of India and Nepal, tracking wild Tigers and Rhinos amongst larger fauna. Clients have been primarily international luxury travelers.
Have been exposed to dangerous situations unlike any job i've done previously of course, while guiding clients.
Conducted Guide Training Programmes for internal hiring as well as on behalf of the Government.
The job requires one to be a leader every day.

Community and others :
Extensively conducted Wildlife Conservation Classes in schools for local communities/indigenous tribes, a remit of being a Naturalist.

Post MBA goals :
Really believe in the cause of environmental sustainability and looking for opportunities to learn about Sustainable Business Practises.
I do know that Rotman is widely known for finance, however, I am personally looking for options in Canada and Rotman places emphasis on Sustainability which is attracive.

Would really love some objective advice, thanks!
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi veron90,

Your profile is great and very unique! Starting with stats, your GMAT is lower than the Rotman average but the better part is Rotman's gmat average has dropped which signifies it focuses more on other aspects. Also, your profile is very diverse and with 7 years of work ex, I do not see the lower GMAT a problem. About your work experience, your initial years have been in the sales domain and suddenly you switched your career to an entirely different industry about which you are going to be asked questions. While providing reasonable explanations to this, you may also present the narrative of learnings from your sales job. Your job as a wildlife guide is pretty interesting with significant impacts, leadership, and some international experience as well. Your community experience, too, is aligned with your hobby and job, so that clearly signifies your passion for wildlife. For your post-MBA goals, if you are particular about Canada only, you may also look for Schulich. For Europe, I may also suggest Judge for sustainable practices. So, overall you stand great chances to Rotman and the most important part in your candidacy now is how you present your story. You are welcome to hop on a call sometime this week to discuss your work experience, career goals, and chances to some good schools in detail. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Kashish Garg
Community Manager, MBA and Beyond

On behalf of
Shantanu Sharma,
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Schedule a free session
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
veron90 wrote:
Hi Team,

Undergrad Information : Bachelor of Science in Hospitality Management and Hotel Administration

- 7 months as an Assistant Sales Manager at a Regional Sales office of a 5-star hotel and convention centre.
- 4.5 years as a Naturalist/Professional wildlife guide at a Luxury Safari Company under the Taj Hotels Brand. Am deeply passionate about wildlife and wanted to get closer to understanding the natural world through working in such areas. Banking on this aspect of work experience as a differentiating factor.

As a trained Naturalist, I have lived in deeply rural wilderness areas of India and Nepal, tracking wild Tigers and Rhinos amongst larger fauna. Clients have been primarily international luxury travelers.
Have been exposed to dangerous situations unlike any job i've done previously of course, while guiding clients.
Conducted Guide Training Programmes for internal hiring as well as on behalf of the Government.

Community and others :
Extensively conducted Wildlife Conservation Classes in schools for local communities/indigenous tribes, a remit of being a Naturalist.

Post MBA goals :
Really believe in the cause of environmental sustainability and looking for opportunities to learn about Sustainable Business Practises.
I do know that Rotman is widely known for finance, however, I am personally looking for options in Canada and Rotman places emphasis on Sustainability which is attracive.

Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi fasih96,

Starting with stats, your GMAT is much above the Rotman average and clearly compensates for slightly lower GPA. For your work-ex, your experience at that first startup can be an interesting one if you are able to present it aptly. About your next job, while you were a management trainee and will be promoted soon, I need to see leadership experiences in your profile now (if you do not think you have enough experience to exhibit now, wait for another year to get some). Your awards and Ecs seem pretty interesting. I would be able to comment better if I get to know numbers wrt your short novel and blog. And yes, ECs are not about doing something big, it's about what are your hobbies and interests, what you just like to do beyond work? So, try to dig deeper and find answers for the same. Also, to guide better, I need to know your post-MBA goals and more details of your work experience. If you'd like, we are happy to hop on a call sometime this week to discuss your work experience, career goals, and chances to some good schools in detail. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Kashish Garg

On behalf of
Shantanu Sharma,
Schedule a free session
fasih96 wrote:
Hi everyone, could anyone help evaluate my profile for a shot at UofT - hoping i have a good shot here since this is on the top of my list.

Profile:
Nationality: Pakistan (Might be an underrepresented nationality)

Undergrad: Bachelors in Science (Honors) - Major (Accounting and Finance) - 3.2 GPA (Lahore University of Management Sciences)

GMAT: 700 (Q48, V38, IR 4) - Online GMAT Hence no AWA

Work Experience: 3 Years
1 Year in a Burgeoning Startup Attempting to Create Livelihood for Local Farmer Population
2 Years in Friesland Campina as Assistant Manager Sales and Operational Planning
-Joined as a Management Trainee, to be promoted to full time at the above role in January 2021.
-Main Charges:
1. Forecasting Sales of Company's Portfolio and Creating Lifting Plans for Primary Sales
2. Analyzing Retail Data to Develop Sales Strategies
3. Creating Trade Strategies to maximize monthly sales.
4. Scheduling Movement of Stocks to ensure Regional Demand is met on a monthly basis.

Awards: Topped Country in Additional Mathematics in IGCSE Exams

Co-Curricular: None - however a documented creative streak (write my own blog and have self published a small novella describing life in University, also delivered a University Level Talk on Video Game Addiction)

Internships: Multiple Local as well as Single International Internship in China at an International Accounting/Tax Firm

Letters of Recommendation: Planning on getting 2 from Directors at Pakistani OPCO's of Multi National Companies who I've worked with previously.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 173
Schools: NTU '22 (S)
Send PM
Hello, please evaluate my profile
I would like to join in ISB
10th 90.5
12th 90.1%
Btech - 74.3%
gmat score - 660
age- 25, male
Workex - 4years
I am working as a mean stack developer.
I had handled 3 projects(e-commerece) and organized events at office.
I got a gold medal from a trust for bringing awareness in rural areas and received certificate of appreciation from district collector for organising medical camp on behalf of indian red cross society.
I have also got a certificate of appreciation as a motivational speaker for motivating people to donate blood and secured 2097 rank out of 125000 students in gate 2015 examination.

Apart from these i organised blood donation camps on behalf of red cross in many areas.

post mba: Technical strategist.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 125
Schools: ISB'22 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Kudos
Hi All
I am evaluating opportunities for pursuing my MBA from Rotman SOM and it would be great if I can get some inputs on my profile and areas for improvement based on the details mentioned below. Also, I'm yet to take my GMAT and so would love to understand what a competitive GMAT score would be for me:

1. Demographics: I am an Indian female (24 years old) with a finance and accounting background.

2. Undergrad Information: B.com Honours at Shaheed Bhagat Singh College, Delhi University (T2 college)

3. GPA: 76% aggregate, passed first division (we do not have a GPA/ percentile system at Delhi University)

4. Work experience and leadership: I will have 3 years of total work experience by September 2020 which will include:

- ~2.5 years as a Senior Analyst at a Big Four in front-end Investment Banking with a focus on the retail and consumer sector. I was promoted last year and received a rating of 1 (scale of 1-5, with 1 being the highest)[/i] and was due for promotion this year as well which unfortunately got deferred to next year in the light of the current pandemic situation.
- I have worked on several buy-side and sell-side M&A/PE transactions in the past two years and have also co-authored few thought leaderships and newsletters published by PwC India in the consumer sector.

- My responsibilities have included deal origination (development of pitch books), financial modeling, preparation of information memos and assisting in due-diligence. I have also significantly contributed to pitches for two large marquee companies for which we got the mandate and are currently working on deal execution.

- 5 months at EY GDS in Assurance

6. Extra Curriculars:

- I was the President of the Finance Cell in my college where we conducted multiple events and fests like strategy games, mock stocks, Bplans etc.,

- I was also a member of the entrepreneurship cell in my college.

7 .Post MBA Goals:

- My POST MBA goal is to get positions at leading management consulting or investment banking firms.

- My limited experience in financial advisory has allowed me to develop a preliminary understanding of the industry and has provided me with technical and interpersonal skills required in the sector.

- While, I enjoy what I currently do, I believe that an MBA from a top business school would allow me to grow faster, enhance my - technical, business and management skills further as well as build my network to advance to the next level in my career.

Upon going through the topics for the application essays for this year, I am a little unsure if I have the desired "spike factor" that the school seems to be looking for.

Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi vmkumar,

You've got a decent profile. Starting with stats, you clearly have exhibited good performance including your rank in GATE. Your gmat score is at par with the Rotman average (considering you come from an over-represented group, you may need a higher gmat but that too depends on your work profile of which you've not provided many details). After that you can only edit it.. About your work-ex, being a mean stack developer have you undertook any leadership roles, or got any promotions or any appreciation at the professional level? Because you need to show some career progression in your work. Your ECs seem good, organizing events, being a motivational speaker, and getting recognition at the district level, just try to add numbers to the impact you have had through your community service. Also, I would suggest you give a concrete, more detailed shape to your post-MBA goals like the industry you want to enter into. For Rotman, try to bring the following in your essays:

Intellect: Strong acads with high curiosity and potential for success

Experience and Impact: rooted in transformative learning, informed by original insight and inspired by the biggest challenges in business and society. -major focus

Spike Factor: The school believes that a rich variety of experiences contribute to shaping an individual. To stand out you need to showcase anything beyond work which demonstrates Passion, Resilience, and Ambition. -major focus

The most important part of an application is knowing yourself and your actions fully and coming up with an amazing, motivating story. You are welcome to hop on a call sometime this week to discuss your chances in detail. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Kashish Garg

On behalf of
Shantanu Sharma,
Schedule a free session
vmkumar wrote:
Hello, please evaluate my profile
I would like to join in ISB
10th 90.5
12th 90.1%
Btech - 74.3%
gmat score - 660
age- 25, male
Workex - 4years
I am working as a mean stack developer.
I had handled 3 projects(e-commerece) and organized events at office.
I got a gold medal from a trust for bringing awareness in rural areas and received certificate of appreciation from district collector for organising medical camp on behalf of indian red cross society.
I have also got a certificate of appreciation as a motivational speaker for motivating people to donate blood and secured 2097 rank out of 125000 students in gate 2015 examination.

Apart from these i organised blood donation camps on behalf of red cross in many areas.

post mba: Technical strategist.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 179
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GRE 1: Q161 V160
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
MBAnBevaluations wrote:
Hi veron90,

Your profile is great and very unique! Starting with stats, your GMAT is lower than the Rotman average but the better part is Rotman's gmat average has dropped which signifies it focuses more on other aspects. Also, your profile is very diverse and with 7 years of work ex, I do not see the lower GMAT a problem. About your work experience, your initial years have been in the sales domain and suddenly you switched your career to an entirely different industry about which you are going to be asked questions. While providing reasonable explanations to this, you may also present the narrative of learnings from your sales job. Your job as a wildlife guide is pretty interesting with significant impacts, leadership, and some international experience as well. Your community experience, too, is aligned with your hobby and job, so that clearly signifies your passion for wildlife. For your post-MBA goals, if you are particular about Canada only, you may also look for Schulich. For Europe, I may also suggest Judge for sustainable practices. So, overall you stand great chances to Rotman and the most important part in your candidacy now is how you present your story. You are welcome to hop on a call sometime this week to discuss your work experience, career goals, and chances to some good schools in detail. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Kashish Garg

On behalf of
Shantanu Sharma,
Schedule a free session
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
veron90 wrote:
Hi Team,

Community and others :

Post MBA goals :

Dear Kashish, thanks so so much for your kind advice. I do understand what you have pointed out and shall delve deeper into what you have suggested.

Shall get in touch for advice once I am further along the line with this!

Thanks,

Varun
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
Schools: ISB'22 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Hi guys!

It would be of great help if some of you can provide me some inputs on my profile.

Gylmitul wrote:
Hi All
I am evaluating opportunities for pursuing my MBA from Rotman SOM and it would be great if I can get some inputs on my profile and areas for improvement based on the details mentioned below. Also, I'm yet to take my GMAT and so would love to understand what a competitive GMAT score would be for me:

1. Demographics: I am an Indian female (24 years old) with a finance and accounting background.

2. Undergrad Information: B.com Honours at Shaheed Bhagat Singh College, Delhi University (T2 college)

3. GPA: 76% aggregate, passed first division (we do not have a GPA/ percentile system at Delhi University)

4. Work experience and leadership: I will have 3 years of total work experience by September 2020 which will include:

- ~2.5 years as a Senior Analyst at a Big Four in front-end Investment Banking with a focus on the retail and consumer sector. I was promoted last year and received a rating of 1 (scale of 1-5, with 1 being the highest)[/i] and was due for promotion this year as well which unfortunately got deferred to next year in the light of the current pandemic situation.
- I have worked on several buy-side and sell-side M&A/PE transactions in the past two years and have also co-authored few thought leaderships and newsletters published by PwC India in the consumer sector.

- My responsibilities have included deal origination (development of pitch books), financial modeling, preparation of information memos and assisting in due-diligence. I have also significantly contributed to pitches for two large marquee companies for which we got the mandate and are currently working on deal execution.

- 5 months at EY GDS in Assurance

6. Extra Curriculars:

- I was the President of the Finance Cell in my college where we conducted multiple events and fests like strategy games, mock stocks, Bplans etc.,

- I was also a member of the entrepreneurship cell in my college.

7 .Post MBA Goals:

- My POST MBA goal is to get positions at leading management consulting or investment banking firms.

- My limited experience in financial advisory has allowed me to develop a preliminary understanding of the industry and has provided me with technical and interpersonal skills required in the sector.

- While, I enjoy what I currently do, I believe that an MBA from a top business school would allow me to grow faster, enhance my - technical, business and management skills further as well as build my network to advance to the next level in my career.

Upon going through the topics for the application essays for this year, I am a little unsure if I have the desired "spike factor" that the school seems to be looking for.

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  17   18   19   20   21   22   23  ...  30   
Moderator:
Stanford and Rotman Moderator
72 posts