Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 07:16 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools: Rotman '21
Send PM
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Great thread guys!

Would helpful if someone could evaluate my profile
Background :- Indian citizen female
Academic :-
GMAT score :- 670
CA 2016 first attempt
CFA 2019 first attempt
XII 90 percent
X 87 percent
Certificates :-
NISM certificates, ICAI training certificates

Work experience :-
Total :- 6 years 3 month experience
After CA :- Have 2 years 2 months experience with KPMG investment banking division. During this period I worked with UK and US geography clients.

Have 1 year 1 month experience with B.R Maheswari co & LLP, top 30 CA firms in statuatory and tax audit department, dealt with limited clients like shree cement Ltd

3 years of CA Internship with a reputed CA Firm

Currently I am doing freelancing of investment banking projects with a reputed firm and managing my NGO

Achievements :-
1) won KPMG super team award
2) won best employee award in B R Maheswari
3) head girl of school
4) majorly my all school fees was on scholarship because of my high academic score

Extra curricular activities :-
1) founder of start from zero ngo
2) active participation in almost all the CSR activity in KPMG
3) Won awards for best drama/ dance performance in annual function of school
4) lead DA team in KPMG fashion show competition and won first award

Hobbies
1) I am an avid reader of financial market and ET/ FT are like my breakfast of the day
2) leading social functions and love to choreograph dance performance.

Post MBA Goals
Since till date I tried to learn as much as I can from consulting firms indulging myself into different divisions like audit, tax, due diligence, valuation and even tested my entrepreneurs skills indulging myself into freelancing projects direct from very stable job at KPMG, I feel like I need more learning or new prospects/ strategy to do a consulting business. By doing MBA and looking on a business with a new approach will help me in achieving my Goals

Appreciate if anyone can provide some insights

Thank you

Posted from my mobile device
Send PM
Re: Rotman Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi @Priyamishthy,

Your profile looks great. You have good stats, you've cleared CA and CFA in first attempts which clearly exhibits your academic rigor. Your GMAT is at par with the Rotman average but if you also look for other good schools, a 20 point increase will help you greatly. Your work-ex, with many achievements, seems really good like dealing with international clients and then being part of different divisions which is a very good indicator of your multi-task personality and multi-departmental knowledge. Your ECs are very interesting, from starting your own NGO to winning fashion show to a dancer gives an idea of an interesting personality. So, overall, you definitely stand a chance to Rotman, according to these details. But I am not clear about your post-MBA goals, you have listed reason for pursuing MBA (which is not enough) but not the goals. So, would like to know this. We are delighted to hop on a call with you to discuss your profile at length. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Kashish Garg,
Community Manager, MBA and Beyond

On behalf of,
Shantanu Sharma,
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
Linkedin

With more than 8 years of experience spanning across entrepreneurship and intrapreneurship, Shantanu has worked across the globe as a Procurement Manager, Product Manager (Marketing, Operations, Payments and Risk/ Fraud), Growth Consultant, eventually unraveling his love for helping candidates with their MBA application as a Coach. Shantanu started coaching applicants, with his team, right after he graduated from INSEAD in 2017. Have a look at his success stories and some real essays of his clients

Priyamisthy wrote:
Great thread guys!

Would helpful if someone could evaluate my profile
Background :- Indian citizen female
Academic :-
GMAT score :- 670
CA 2016 first attempt
CFA 2019 first attempt
XII 90 percent
X 87 percent
Certificates :-
NISM certificates, ICAI training certificates

Work experience :-
Total :- 6 years 3 month experience
After CA :- Have 2 years 2 months experience with KPMG investment banking division. During this period I worked with UK and US geography clients.

Have 1 year 1 month experience with B.R Maheswari co & LLP, top 30 CA firms in statuatory and tax audit department, dealt with limited clients like shree cement Ltd

3 years of CA Internship with a reputed CA Firm

Currently I am doing freelancing of investment banking projects with a reputed firm and managing my NGO

Achievements :-
1) won KPMG super team award
2) won best employee award in B R Maheswari
3) head girl of school
4) majorly my all school fees was on scholarship because of my high academic score

Extra curricular activities :-
1) founder of start from zero ngo
2) active participation in almost all the CSR activity in KPMG
3) Won awards for best drama/ dance performance in annual function of school
4) lead DA team in KPMG fashion show competition and won first award

Hobbies
1) I am an avid reader of financial market and ET/ FT are like my breakfast of the day
2) leading social functions and love to choreograph dance performance.

Post MBA Goals
Since till date I tried to learn as much as I can from consulting firms indulging myself into different divisions like audit, tax, due diligence, valuation and even tested my entrepreneurs skills indulging myself into freelancing projects direct from very stable job at KPMG, I feel like I need more learning or new prospects/ strategy to do a consulting business. By doing MBA and looking on a business with a new approach will help me in achieving my Goals

Appreciate if anyone can provide some insights

Thank you

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
Send PM
Hello, I would be grateful if you could evaluate my profile below and my chances of being accepted into Rotman. Thank you!

Nationality: Singaporean
Undergraduate education: National University of Singapore
Undergraduate Degree: Bachelors of Law, Second Class (Upper Division)
GMAT Score – 750 (Q 48, V 45, IR 6, AWA 5)

Work experience:
I will have about 2.5 years of experience as a lawyer at the time of matriculation. I currently work as a corporate lawyer for a reputable mid-sized law firm in Singapore. In my day to day work, I take the lead on files where I run and manage transactions, liaising with clients and counterparties independently.
I also sit on my firm's pro bono committee where we organise community involvement programmes twice a year promoting legal outreach to those in need and/or the elderly.
Separately, I am also involved in the firm's hiring process where I conduct the first round of interviews for new hires (trainees and associates) to the firm.

Prior to university, I served the military and underwent basic military training for 2 months. Thereafter, I served the police force for about two years and currently hold the rank equivalent to an army Major. I lead a troop of 40 officers to run security operations projecting police presence and ensuring the security of Singapore Changi Airport.

Extra-curricular activities:
I am an avid sportsperson and have played field hockey since I was in secondary school. I was also very active and played soccer and floorball in university, regularly representing my university faculty team in intra-faculty tournaments.
Outside of school, I was president of my alumni hockey team and managed the club to compete across 3 out of 5 divisions in the national hockey leagues. In my time at the helm, we have managed to firmly establish ourselves as a major player in the local hockey scene.
I am currently a member of the Law Society of Singapore's sports committee. A function of our role is to organise the yearly sports tournament which we hold with the Malaysian bench and bar.

Post-MBA Career Goals:
In the short term, I would like to enter into the management consulting industry, as I can leverage my experience in problem solving and advising clients. In the alternative, I aim to enter the general management track.
My medium to long term goal would be to work and lead my own team in a medium/large-sized corporation.

I aim to also apply to the following schools in Round 2:
Harvard, Tuck, Kellogg, Columbia

I would be grateful if you could assess my chances of being admitted into Rotman. Thank you very much for your time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Pakistani, male, 25 years.

GMAT - 600 (Q44, V28, IR 7)

Olevel - 7A*1A
Alevel - 4A*
Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering - 3.50 CGPA - National University of Sciences and Technology. Graduated top 15% of the batch. This is the top ranked engineering school in Pakistan.
Active participation in student clubs and organizations, leading a couple of them and holding major positions in arranging key events.

Work Exp - 03 years (as of August 2020) in product management across 2 organizations and several product portfolios.
1st being Dawlance, a local leader in the consumer electronics industry. I was actively involved in several innovative products' launches and the introduction of an entire portfolio altogether. Collaborated with teams in Turkey, China and Pakistan.
The 2nd, and current, organization is samsung electronics. Currently working as a product manager for LED TVs for the country, having previously been the product manager of refrigerator and washing machine. Not a promotion per say, and more of a role change, but could be taken as one if one considers the appointment at the core division.

Social work:
Worked for StreetStore - a charity organization. Assisted them in fundraising and sat up a street store event where clothes were distributed among underprivileged families.

Worked as a writer for Humans of Pakistan for over an year - helping portray a positive image of the society.

Currently a Green Card holder for WWF - a donation membership that works towards improving atmosphere and the needy people associated with it. I'm part of the Air project, where projects are carried out to improve air quality.

Reasons for MBA - At my current career stage, and the path I've chosen, a management degree (read MBA) makes a lot of sense for further growth and career development, and learning - given that I come from a technical background. An MBA would add on to my current experience and better equip me to take on senior positions in strategy/consulting/management.

Post-MBA goals - Move into management consulting. Also open to staying in project management.

I understand that the GMAT score is extremely low, and to be honest I'd given up on applying for this year's admissions. But I used the profile evaluation tool here and it actually showed I had above average chances for Rotman (and Said, among others). I also found out that Rotman has been accepting in the 500s in the previous years. Hence the silly evaluation post with this GMAT.

Appreciate your feedback on the profile and suggestions towards next steps.

Also, what would be alternate decent schools (UK/Canada)?

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
My video essay part didn't go well. Is there anything I can do now ?

TIA
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
TumharaFaizal wrote:
My video essay part didn't go well. Is there anything I can do now ?

TIA

I wouldn't worry too much about it now... The only thing that you could do is write to your adcom and let him know that, for some reason, you didn't do well. I'm thinking that you might even send a new video response for the same question, but I don't think it would make much difference. I got one of those questions pretty bad as well, if I remember right...
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi hassanT,

Let's first talk about your work-ex. It looks quite great as you have successful experiences in product launches and being the product manager for the country at Samsung. I believe you can bring out some really stellar examples of leadership and impact from your work. Also, your professional life in application shines out better when you have clear, thoughtful career goals. Here are some starter questions for you about your future goals (if you have not given them enough thought). What are your long-term aspirations from your professional life? What path should you take as a career in short-term that can help that long term goal? How an MBA from Rotman will help in bringing you closer to that short-term goal?

You will get a better, clear and more reasonable picture of your goals. Do not worry, we can brainstorm it together if you like :) Your community involvement is great and you have touched upon some real urgent issues. Now about your GMAT. 600 is quite low but your IR is great. You may need to explain your low GMAT or may even be asked by schools for another attempt. I say, if you feel you can do better, you should take another chance otherwise just work for bringing out a strong story and target Canada schools majorly (shortlist them as reach, target and safety schools). If you'd like, we are happy to discuss your profile and goals at length and help you in your decision-making for GMAT. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Kashish Garg,
Community Manager, MBA and Beyond

On behalf of,
Shantanu Sharma,
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Success stories and Real essays
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
Linkedin
hassanT wrote:
Pakistani, male, 25 years.

GMAT - 600 (Q44, V28, IR 7)

Olevel - 7A*1A
Alevel - 4A*
Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering - 3.50 CGPA - National University of Sciences and Technology. Graduated top 15% of the batch. This is the top ranked engineering school in Pakistan.
Active participation in student clubs and organizations, leading a couple of them and holding major positions in arranging key events.

Work Exp - 03 years (as of August 2020) in product management across 2 organizations and several product portfolios.
1st being Dawlance, a local leader in the consumer electronics industry. I was actively involved in several innovative products' launches and the introduction of an entire portfolio altogether. Collaborated with teams in Turkey, China and Pakistan.
The 2nd, and current, organization is samsung electronics. Currently working as a product manager for LED TVs for the country, having previously been the product manager of refrigerator and washing machine. Not a promotion per say, and more of a role change, but could be taken as one if one considers the appointment at the core division.

Social work:
Worked for StreetStore - a charity organization. Assisted them in fundraising and sat up a street store event where clothes were distributed among underprivileged families.

Worked as a writer for Humans of Pakistan for over an year - helping portray a positive image of the society.

Currently a Green Card holder for WWF - a donation membership that works towards improving atmosphere and the needy people associated with it. I'm part of the Air project, where projects are carried out to improve air quality.

Reasons for MBA - At my current career stage, and the path I've chosen, a management degree (read MBA) makes a lot of sense for further growth and career development, and learning - given that I come from a technical background. An MBA would add on to my current experience and better equip me to take on senior positions in strategy/consulting/management.

Post-MBA goals - Move into management consulting. Also open to staying in project management.

I understand that the GMAT score is extremely low, and to be honest I'd given up on applying for this year's admissions. But I used the profile evaluation tool here and it actually showed I had above average chances for Rotman (and Said, among others). I also found out that Rotman has been accepting in the 500s in the previous years. Hence the silly evaluation post with this GMAT.

Appreciate your feedback on the profile and suggestions towards next steps.

Also, what would be alternate decent schools (UK/Canada)?

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 580 Q44 V25
GPA: 4
Send PM
Background and nationality: IT Business Analyst. Indian.
Undergrad Information: Computer Science Engineering
GMAT: 650
Work experience and leadership: 8 years of IT experience. Tried starting a company. Tried and developed products to sell as side hustle.
Community and others: Distribution of food and education to children by government aid.
Post MBA goals: Management Consulting and in 5 years, start a company.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 11
GRE 1: Q156 V167
Send PM
Background: 39 Male, Indian, Transitioning out of uniform (Merchant Marines)

Work ex: 8 years at sea + 3 years of running a start up

UG:(BA in Management) Pursued through a distance learning program (ICFAI) while I was sailing (not sure what the GPA conversion is). Other technical qualifications held but not equivalent to graduation.

No GRE yet but aiming for V165 Q160

Community work: Former fellow of AIPC (All India Professionals Congress), Coached neighborhood youths in boxing

Extra curricular: Lifelong martial artist, writer (contributed to many online publications), podcaster, various awards for writing, sports and debating in high school (including state/national level).

Post MBA goals: Move from operational roles crude oil transportation to strategic roles in the broader energy market (Preferably as a Risk Manager in the Oil/Natural gas sector. My last employer has it's HQ in Toronto and in a perfect world, I'd like to resume my career with them.)

Other info: Proven track record of leadership both on and off the job. Gold medal awarded for same by Naval Academy. Multicultural background, have studied, lived and worked internationally. Former refugee (First gulf war).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
GPA: 3.5
Send PM