It is currently 19 Apr 2018, 21:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rotman (Toronto) or Simon (Rochester)?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Rotman (Toronto) or Simon (Rochester)? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 13:52
Hello. I have been admitted to both Rotman and Simon (still waiting on a couple of other schools).

Financial aid: Rotman offered me 20000 Canadian dollars while Simon offered me a scholarship equal to 50% of the full MBA cost.

About me: I am Brazilian, graduated from an Ivy League undergrad in the US with a Major in Economics, worked in the financial department of small consumer product companies both in the US and in Brazil and I plan on pivoting my career towards marketing with my MBA. Currently living in Brazil.

I have already researched employment data for both schools, as well as starting salaries (accounting for the exchange rate of CADxUSD and living costs of the USA and Canada), class sizes, networking opportunities, etc.

My main issues regarding making this decision are the substantial difference in financial aid and the fact that Canada offers 3 years of work authorization for international MBA graduates vs. the one year of OPT the US offers, and the fact that getting an H1-B visa (the work visa) is still dependant on a lottery, so luck-based, so the process is simpler and more reliable in Canada.

Thank you in advance for any input.
2 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
D
GRE 1: 323 Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Rotman (Toronto) or Simon (Rochester)? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 14:31
This post received
KUDOS
I am an international applicant myself and I absolutely understand the fact that finances are a HUGE part of the deal while finalising any MBA program. I STRONGLY vote for Rotman. The additional money isn't worth giving up Rotman for Simon. Rotman is a very strong brand in Canada. It is very difficult to get into(especial this year). No matter what your Post MBA industry be, you will always find someone from Rotman. Plus, H1b is kind of a mess.

Final Thoughts -> It is absolutely CRIMINAL to compare THE BEST school in Canada(Rotman) to a Tier 2 school in the US(Simon).

Getting into HOLLYWOOD with an MBA

The MOST AFFORDABLE MBA programs!

STONECOLD's BRUTAL Mock Tests for GMAT-Quant(700+)

Average GRE Scores At The Top Business Schools!

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 16:07
This post received
KUDOS
Aech wrote:
Hello. I have been admitted to both Rotman and Simon (still waiting on a couple of other schools).

Financial aid: Rotman offered me 20000 Canadian dollars while Simon offered me a scholarship equal to 50% of the full MBA cost.

About me: I am Brazilian, graduated from an Ivy League undergrad in the US with a Major in Economics, worked in the financial department of small consumer product companies both in the US and in Brazil and I plan on pivoting my career towards marketing with my MBA. Currently living in Brazil.

I have already researched employment data for both schools, as well as starting salaries (accounting for the exchange rate of CADxUSD and living costs of the USA and Canada), class sizes, networking opportunities, etc.

My main issues regarding making this decision are the substantial difference in financial aid and the fact that Canada offers 3 years of work authorization for international MBA graduates vs. the one year of OPT the US offers, and the fact that getting an H1-B visa (the work visa) is still dependant on a lottery, so luck-based, so the process is simpler and more reliable in Canada.

Thank you in advance for any input.

I see the dilemma is either Canada or the US. I would choose Canada with Rotman over Simon. While the starting salaries are less in Canada, it will provide more secure life. I always believe that life doe sot give everything. You can choose more secured life style with less salary over high risk with high payment in Simon. It is all up to you.

Good luck
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
B
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q43 V39
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 17:37
This post received
KUDOS
I am biased (obviously), but I agree with Mo2men about the first question to think about: US x Canada.
If you choose Canada you still can migrate later to the US (I believe it will take you about eight years to do that) and the 3-year visa helps a lot (besides that you can always try to get your PR later - an MBA in Canada will help you to get it). In the US you can work for one year and later try to get the HB1 visa, but remember that the lottery can get smaller in the next few months.

Regarding the scholarship, you got 20% at Rotman and 50% at Rochester, right? I don't know if the difference is that large and you need to calculate your living costs in both cities. Toronto can be expensive, but all the Brazilians here have a good life and don't spend a lot of money to have it. I don't know how it works at Rochester.

About MKT roles, you can find good jobs here. I believe one of the Brazilians got a spot for an internship at P&G this year and the upper batch worked in great companies also.
Re: Rotman (Toronto) or Simon (Rochester)?   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2018, 17:37

Rotman (Toronto) or Simon (Rochester)?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Wilch, teleste, jessepinkman

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap