Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:41 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32951 [22]
Given Kudos: 5780
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2055 [25]
Given Kudos: 174
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [2]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [4]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Re: Scholars often fail to see that music played an important role in the [#permalink]
Kudos
While the text is quite understandable and most people seem to do well on the questions, answer 4 seems to cause some headaches.

You might want to re-word the question to have an easier time understanding what it is hinting at;

"Which of the follow conclusion are wrong (according to the text)?"...

This makes it much easier to identify that we are looking for an answer that isolates statement II.
While statement II claims that African music is similar to other types of traditional music, the article tells us that African music is very distinct in its make up.

Hope this helps to shed some light on a tricky question.

Best regards,
Chris
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Bayes (WL)
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Re: Scholars often fail to see that music played an important role in the [#permalink]
Kudos
SheilyKamra wrote:
Can someone explain why B is correct in ques-2?

Hi (don't know if it's too late to reply),

As per my understanding,

Please note the following sentence -

African music, unlike the music of some other cultures, was based on a total vision of life in which music was not an isolated social domain

This is the reason for B being the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 2.88
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Can anyone help me with the second question, i getting a bit confused
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32951 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
sarthaknash90 wrote:
Can anyone help me with the second question, i getting a bit confused

I assumes you didn't read this response

https://gmatclub.com/forum/scholars-oft ... l#p2220686

Best regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Send PM
Kudos
Overall nice passage , got 3 correct out of 4 , question 2 was bit confusing.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Given Kudos: 1158
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 580 Q47 V22
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V29 (Online)
GMAT 3: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 5: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.29
WE:Architecture (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
@SajjadAhmed

For. q4, is there a more detailed answer ? I see what one of the users responded but i was hoping i could get a better solution.

I believe, for q4, both II and III are correct.

Thanks,
K
Kudos
mehro023 wrote:
@SajjadAhmed

For. q4, is there a more detailed answer ? I see what one of the users responded but i was hoping i could get a better solution.

I believe, for q4, both II and III are correct.

Thanks,
K

Hey,

Let's try and understand the question. "Erred into doing something" would mean that you did do something but unfortunately, it was wrong. Now, look at the second statement. The scholars would have reached this conclusion but as per the passage, this conclusion isn't correct. So, as you also suggested, statement II is correct. Now, let's come to statement III. Is the statement correct as per the info given in the passage? Yes. Did the scholars also think so? No. Was their conclusion wrong if this statement was their conclusion? No, again. So, it's kind of the opposite of the thing in boldface.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Quote:
4. According to the author, scholars would err in drawing which of the following conclusions?

I. Slavery stripped the slaves of their political and economic systems.
II. African music was similar to all other traditions of music in that it originated in a total vision of life.
III. Music was a crucial part of the African cultural legacy.

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

Hi GMATNinja

Could you please help on this question?

For Music was a crucial part of the African cultural legacy.
I think we can infer that scholars draw wrong conclusion from

Quote:
but they underestimate the significance of music in sustaining other African cultural values

Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [1]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Kudos
Foi2Evei2 wrote:
Quote:
4. According to the author, scholars would err in drawing which of the following conclusions?

II. African music was similar to all other traditions of music in that it originated in a total vision of life.

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

Hi GMATNinja

Quote:
but they underestimate the significance of music in sustaining other African cultural values

Hi Foi2Evei2,

In Question 4 we are asked that in drawing which of the following conclusions, scholars would make a mistake, implying that we are looking for options that are present in the passage, but under estimated by scholars.

III is present in the passage: "Music, like art in general, was so inextricably a part of African culture that it became a crucial means of preserving the culture during and after the dislocations of slavery.", but scholars failed to notice this importance of music, as mentioned throughout the passage, so would they draw this conclusion, no.

Thus III is incorrect.

Hope This Helps.
Thanks.
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
DaviFlody wrote:
Can somebody help me with the 2nd queston?

Please read this post in below link, hope it help.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/scholars-oft ... l#p2220686

Thank you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Hi,

Hope all is well.

I have a slight confusion for question no4. I feel no of the option are correct.

This in the passage seems to be the author's view - " African music, unlike the music of some other cultures, was based on a total vision of life in which music was not an isolated social domain". I am unable to make peace with the fact that we can infer that the scholars view would be opposite of this statement.

I agree that until the previous statement the author and the scholars differed. But when the above statement starts, i felt it was just the author's view. Can we infer about the scholars view here? Thanks in advance.
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
rinkuda wrote:
Hi,

Hope all is well.

I have a slight confusion for question no4. I feel no of the option are correct.

This in the passage seems to be the author's view - " African music, unlike the music of some other cultures, was based on a total vision of life in which music was not an isolated social domain". I am unable to make peace with the fact that we can infer that the scholars view would be opposite of this statement.

I agree that until the previous statement the author and the scholars differed. But when the above statement starts, i felt it was just the author's view. Can we infer about the scholars view here? Thanks in advance.

Hi rinkuda

In question number 4 only statement II is correct and hence the answer is B.

According to passage African music is dissimilar is not concluded and hence they must have drawn this as a conclusion. Also, the author says the scholars erred in doing so.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
bM22 wrote:
Foi2Evei2 wrote:
Quote:

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

Hi

Quote:

Hi

In Question 4 we are asked that in drawing which of the following conclusions, scholars would make a mistake, implying that we are looking for options that are present in the passage, but under estimated by scholars.

III is present in the passage: "Music, like art in general, was so inextricably a part of African culture that it became a crucial means of preserving the culture during and after the dislocations of slavery.", but scholars failed to notice this importance of music, as mentioned throughout the passage, so would they draw this conclusion, no.

Thus III is incorrect.

Hope This Helps.
Thanks.

I'm still having trouble grasping this view from your perspective on why III is wrong. Question says 'According to the author'. You said we are "looking for options that are present in the passage but are underestimated by the scholars". Agreed. And then the statement "but scholars failed to notice this importance of music" - so according to the author, scholars would make an incorrect conclusion regarding the importance of music in african culture. So scholars would make an error in drawing the conclusion stated in III. So why III is still not the answer?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Scholars often fail to see that music played an important role in the [#permalink]
Hello! I solved this passage and got Q2 incorrect. I chose option E.
Can someone help me explain why option E in Question 2 is incorrect?

Quote:
2. In the Passage “isolated social domain” refers to

(A) African music in relation to contemporary culture as a whole
(B) music as it may be perceived in non-African cultures
(C) a feature of African music that aided in transmitting African cultural values
(D) an aspect of the African cultural legacy
(E) the influence of music on contemporary culture

I marked E because by "isolated social domain", I inferred that African music plays a key role in influencing and shaping the African culture. I inferred this by reading the first line of the passage and the line after the line mentioning "isolated social domain".

The first line of the passage:
Quote:
Scholars often fail to see that music played an important role in the preservation of African culture in the United States.

The line after the line mentioning "isolated social domain":
Quote:
In African culture music was pervasive, serving not only religion, but all phases of life...
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Explanation

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

The phrase "isolated social domain" is used in the passage to contrast African music with the music of some other cultures. The passage explains that African music was not an isolated social domain; it was deeply intertwined with all aspects of life, such as religion, birth, death, work, and play. In contrast, the passage suggests that the music of some other cultures might be perceived as existing in an isolated social domain.

The passage doesn't go into specific details about what the phrase "isolated social domain" means, but it does provide enough context to understand that it refers to how music might be perceived in non-African cultures. The passage highlights the pervasiveness of African music throughout various aspects of life, implying that in other cultures, music might be more limited in its scope or relevance.

So, the correct answer is (B) music as it may be perceived in non-African cultures, as this option captures the essence of the comparison being made in the passage.

Answer: B

kshikhar94 wrote:
Hello! I solved this passage and got Q2 incorrect. I chose option E.
Can someone help me explain why option E in Question 2 is incorrect?

Quote:

(A) African music in relation to contemporary culture as a whole
(B) music as it may be perceived in non-African cultures
(C) a feature of African music that aided in transmitting African cultural values
(D) an aspect of the African cultural legacy
(E) the influence of music on contemporary culture

I marked E because by "isolated social domain", I inferred that African music plays a key role in influencing and shaping the African culture. I inferred this by reading the first line of the passage and the line after the line mentioning "isolated social domain".

The first line of the passage:
Quote:
Scholars often fail to see that music played an important role in the preservation of African culture in the United States.

The line after the line mentioning "isolated social domain":
Quote:
In African culture music was pervasive, serving not only religion, but all phases of life...
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts