Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 15:09 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 15:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619707 [0]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V28
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.32
WE:Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: Schulich Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Background and nationality - Indian male candidate

Undergrad - B. Com with 57.5% (63.5% in the final year)

Postgrad - Post Graduate Diploma in Forest Management (Majors in Development Management) NOTE: Only the institute's name has Forest in it; I studied nothing related to it!

GMAT - 710 (Q-49 V-38)

Work experience and leadership -
Total of 3.5 years of work experience in lending space. I have worked for two financial institutions during this period, both of which were into impact investment. I assessed companies which had either social or environmental impact, and were from either financial inclusion, food and agri, affordable healthcare, affordable education, or clean energy sector. There were all early-stage companies with little to no access to formal sources of financing before my company lent to them. I individually did credit and operational analysis of the companies. I was assigned a new vertical in the first organization (I was assigned the role over my more senior colleagues) and was assigned as the lead member of one of the sectors in the second company.

The "story" - I was pursuing CA during my graduation, and had successfully cleared the intermediate examination. But something felt amiss and the only reason I was pursuing CA was because everybody around me was doing the same and I knew for a fact that there was good money at the end of the tunnel. But something felt amiss and I quit CA following my level II examination and instead decided to do PG. In PG, my course focused on community development and development management in general. I wanted to combine my PG study to what I did prior to that, and hence I got in the impact investment space.

Community and others -
1. Participated in multiple CSR events during PG
2. Ran numerous campaigns during PG, both for the upliftment of the underprivileged as well as for environmental conservation.
3. Active member of Blue Cross
4. Fitness enthusiast and I do work as a fitness instructor

Recommendations - I am sure I can get pretty strong recommendations

Post MBA goals -
Staying in the impact investment space, first by taking some international exposure with the larger donor organizations and then by eventually setting up my own investment fund.

Additional thoughts - I guess my work-ex is on the lower side, but I can show steady increase in responsibilities during this period. Also, I know that my undergrad score is miserable. Nothing really that I can do about it now, but will asking the AdCom to focus on my better-than-average Quant score in GMAT help?

Thanks for the help! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Re: Schulich Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi there,

I was hoping if someone could help evaluate my profile for the 2 years MBA programme. PFB the details:

- Male, Indian, 25.

- Education:
1. Grade 12: IB Diploma (High Level - Maths, History and English); attended schools across Tunisia, Sri Lanka, Belgium, and India.
2 .Undergrad:
- B.Tech in Computer Science from VIT, Vellore, India (top 15 engineering college in India).
- 4 years degree
- Extra courses: Fundamentals of Financial Management 101, Macroeconomics 101
- CGPA: 7.56/10

- Work Experience:
1. Founder and CEO of a college startup of mine. Ran it for good ~3 years with a team of 25+ folks working across India.
2. Founding Member and Head of Sales of a pre-Series A funded tech company (we are a 60+ member team now with offices in Delhi and SF). 3 years of work experience. I have recently left from here and currently traveling (been 2 months). By the time I go for my MBA, I'll have around ~3.5-4 years of work ex.

- GMAT: I am currently preparing, hoping to give the exam in December.
- Post MBA Goals: Join a venture capital firm and not just add value as an investor but also as a mentor. I believe I have learned a lot from the startup community and would love to give back to it as well.

Major doubt:

Undergrad requirement: An undergraduate degree from a recognized post-secondary institution with a minimum B average in the last two full years (or equivalent) of academic work.
. This has been mentioned on the website. Do I meet the minimum requirement? I am quite confused.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
Schools: Wharton '22
Send PM
Where do you wish to study?

Your background will require you have a strong gmat score but overall profile seems strong.

Best of luck with your gmat,I think you should try to aim for above 700! ☺️

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
What chances do I have to get an admit with a score for 630 ? Indian IT engineer male with 4 years work ex and decent extra curricular profile and a very well written application.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
my question is whay is extra you are bringing in at the expense of your low GMAT... if you can convince the adcom, then please take your chances!

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
26, male, Indian Sikh.
Business economics graduate from Delhi University (first division). I've derived that my GPA is 3.7 (kindly correct if wrong)
GMAT: 740 (Q51, V39, IR8, AWA6)
Work experience:
Full time 2.5 years, freelance 1.5 years.

I freelanced with a production studio as a cinematographer and a video editor for 6 months. They hired me full-time and promoted me to the post of senior producer because I was good at dealing with clients. This lasted for 6 months too.
Then I left for Mumbai to assist in ads and films to learn more. I was freelancing as well. I was the assistant cinematographer in Kapil Sharma's "Firangi". Was part of many short films as well.

Then I joined my family business of medicine exports. It involved handling purchase and negotiating rates and payment terms. Soon I started travelling to Imphal to manage a pharmacy as it's conflict struck area and hiring someone local was tough.
Additionally, I became a mutual fund distributor in Jan last year. I have a sizeable AUM under me. I am also a stock trader. I still freelance as a cinematographer.

In college I used to make short films on social causes. I'd write, shoot, direct and edit myself. The topics ranged from communal differences, eve teasing to organ donation. I screened the organ donation movie in my college and about 50 viewers pledged their organs after the screening.
I also won numerous awards in -
Street theatre
Best photographer
Best cinematography
Best short film (director)

I wish to get into financial consulting post MBA.

What is the deal breaker here? I've been told that my work ex won't count since I've mostly worked for myself or my family (albeit full time).

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: (A)
GMAT 1: 480 Q39 V17
GMAT 2: 580 Q42 V27
WE:Other (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Good day GMAT club members,
Request for evaluation of my profile.

Nationality: indian
Profession: Marine Engineer
Work Exp: 5 years( two promotions in that tenure)
GMAT score:580
Extra curricular: euphonium player, member of college Band,active member of Chennai trekking club,

Have a lot of international experience.Have worked with international crew. Travelled extensively. Well versed in people management and resource management.

Please give me your feedback.
Thanks in advance.

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: MBA and Beyond
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Shantanu: Sharma
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
WE:Other (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Hi harinageshwar,

Happy to evaluate your profile for Schulich. I do understand that you posted this in November, so I'd like to understand if you had a chance to reappear for your GMAT, as 580 is very low considering your profile.
If you did reappear, it'll be good to find out your new score and which other schools are you aiming for?

Shantanu Sharma,
Founder and Admissions Consultant, MBA and Beyond
Schedule a free session
Email: shantanu@mbaandbeyond.com
What s app: +65-97158525
Call: +49-15212121641
Linkedin

harinageshwar wrote:
Good day GMAT club members,

Profession: Marine Engineer
Work Exp: 5 years( two promotions in that tenure)
GMAT score:580
Extra curricular: euphonium player, member of college Band,active member of Chennai trekking club,

Have a lot of international experience.Have worked with international crew. Travelled extensively. Well versed in people management and resource management.

Thanks in advance.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V24
GMAT 2: 440 Q31 V20
GMAT 3: 470 Q38 V17
Send PM
Bookmarks
Greetings for the day GMAT club members,

Profession: Associate Consultant( IT Auditor)
Work Exp: 2.6 years(1 promotion after 1st year)
GMAT score:550
Extra curricular: Chess ; Keyboard; Swimming; Belly Dancing

Having full time experience of working in international environment. Highly tolerant to other nationalities. Working as IT Auditor with multinational company marked amongst Fortune 500.

Thanks in advance.
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi neha gandhi

Thanks for sharing your profile. First, I would want to know your undergrad stats since Schulich asks for a B average student, which means securing a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. So, just check if you qualify that requirement. Also, I want to ask if your GMAT is 550 or 650? Because 550 seems really low for Schulich, or I think for any good b-school.

About your work ex, you have not provided many details about it. So, what I can assess from the given details, your work ex is lower than the average but it’s good that you’ve some evidence of career progressions in your early years and have a robust international exposure, as you have highlighted. Your extracurriculars really caught my eye, they seem very interesting. I would like to know if you have participated in some competitions related to it? Because it will really enhance your chances of making it to any good school.

I would ask you to share a more detailed profile, especially about your work ex, like what roles and the leadership positions you undertook. Alternatively, if you’d like we are happy to hop on a call sometime this week to discuss your chances further. Feel free to book our calendar as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Kashish Garg
Community Manager, MBA and Beyond

On behalf of
Shantanu Sharma,
Schedule a free session
neha gandhi wrote:
Greetings for the day GMAT club members,

Profession: Associate Consultant( IT Auditor)
Work Exp: 2.6 years(1 promotion after 1st year)
GMAT score:550
Extra curricular: Chess ; Keyboard; Swimming; Belly Dancing

Having full time experience of working in international environment. Highly tolerant to other nationalities. Working as IT Auditor with multinational company marked amongst Fortune 500.

Thanks in advance.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V40
Send PM
Hi Everyone,

I am planning to apply for the Schulich Full-Time MBA for Fall 2021. It would be of great help if someone could evaluate my profile and give me some inputs regarding the application.

10th: 10 CGPA
12th: 96.8%
Undergrad GPA : 3.7
GMAT Score: 700(44Q,40V)

Work Experience: I have a total 2 years of work experience to date. I worked as a Risk Management Analyst at Deloitte for about 1.5 years. Then I switched streams as
an Associate QE Engineer at a Software Company. So my current job includes software testing automation and I am solely responsible for the testing
of a microservice.

Extra-Curriculars: 1. Finance Head of IEEE chapter at my University.
2. Been a member of AIESEC Vizag.
3. Volunteered at Teach for Change Hyderabad where I taught English to class 3 children at a government school.
4. I have a poetry blog online at wordpress.com which I have been writing for about 4 years.
5. An NSS volunteer.

Post MBA: Consulting

I am aware that my work experience is towards the lowers end. But I want to know if my profile overall would be good enough. Also I would have more than 2.5 years of work experience by the time i would have to join.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi guys, Schulich is conduction a session on MBA/IMBA Application Tips & FAQ. In this online session, you'll receive tips and learn best practices for putting forward a robust and compelling application. All admission procedures and commonly asked questions will be covered by a member of the Graduate Recruitment and Admissions team.

Also, it is conducting another session on MBA/IMBA Information Session. In this session, you'll learn more about what the Schulich MBA and International MBA programs have to offer, and why they might be right for you. So, it will help you determine if this school is the right fit for you.

All the best guys! :)

Cheers!
Kashish Garg,

On behalf of,
Shantanu Sharma,
Schedule a free session
Linkedin
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
Background and nationality: Indian-Engineer-Male-25years (age)

Undergrad Information:

Institute: Institute of Technology, Nirma University-Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
GPA: 6.62/10 (First Class) 2018 passout

GMAT: Yet to give. Expected Score: 650 to 680

Work experience: 1 year 8 months in an IT Services firm (200+ Employee) as a Content Writer
Currently helping my father to grow his YouTube channel by doing all the post-production work myself starting from video editing to publishing.

No Community or Charity work

Post-MBA goals - Management Consulting

Kindly evaluate my profile and let me know if I am a right fit, and suggest changes, Thanks a lot. :please:

Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi geetmpatel20,

If you are able to get your GMAT score as per your expectations, you’ll be at par with the average GMAT score of the Schulich MBA batch. However, that won’t be enough to land you there.

About your concern of ECs, Schulich looks for a well-rounded profile. Even if you don’t have any past community or charity work, you can still talk about any other life experiences. You can talk about any of your hobbies or just anything that you do beyond work. Your involvement in your father’s Youtube channel is one example of your diverse profile. You can talk in more detail about it, highlighting your learnings from it. Also, to make your work-experience strong, you should talk about the projects you undertook as a content writer and what impact these brought on the company you’ve worked for.

I am keen to know more about you and your goals. We, at MBA and Beyond, has helped many unconventional candidates and can surely help you with getting the best out of you. Together we can craft a beautiful story of your life that highlights how your past has developed leadership qualities in you and how you can be a good fit for the school. Feel free to book a free session with us as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Kashish Garg,

On behalf of,
Shantanu Sharma, Linkedin
Testimonials
geetmpatel20 wrote:
Background and nationality: Indian-Engineer-Male-25years (age)

Undergrad Information:

Institute: Institute of Technology, Nirma University-Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
GPA: 6.62/10 (First Class) 2018 passout

GMAT: Yet to give. Expected Score: 650 to 680

Work experience: 1 year 8 months in an IT Services firm (200+ Employee) as a Content Writer
Currently helping my father to grow his YouTube channel by doing all the post-production work myself starting from video editing to publishing.

No Community or Charity work

Post-MBA goals - Management Consulting

Kindly evaluate my profile and let me know if I am a right fit, and suggest changes, Thanks a lot. :please:

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V26
GMAT 2: 650 Q48 V32
GPA: 3.46
Send PM
Background - Indian - Engineer -29
and nationality
Undergrad Information- engineering in Electronics 2013 passout
GMAT:640
Work experience and leadership- 7 years in Indian Govt Bank as a loan officer
Sanctioning and recommending loans.

Community and others- Part of a local group unregistered for treatment and rescue of Animals specially dogs.
Post MBA goals- would like to work in a organisation for Social work.
Anything else?

Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi varun325,

Your profile looks a bit interesting at first look. Working as a loan officer for sanctioning and recommending loans must have created very strong analytics and strategy background for yourself. You must have come across lots of case-studies during your career which may have honed your business acumen. Apart from that, your ECs covering social work and rescue operations add positive values to your profile.

Your profile definitely looks promising to me. However, I will need more information to make a proper assessment. I will be able to offer a precise evaluation if you can let me know your college/university name with your scores at school and college level. Along with, I also insist you provide me with details of any promotions, your career progression path, and your leadership experiences. The b-schools prefer candidates who have had a distinguished career or have contributed in a progressive way towards their organisations.

Apart from all this, a mention of your hobbies and interests will help me to prepare a well-rounded evaluation of your profile which will include diverse characteristics. At least, it would be great if you can provide me with the reason for your interest in social-work post MBA. This will help me determine your fit for Schulich and to suggest more tips which you can use to showcase your profile in a strong way.

Which other schools are you eyeing? Feel free to reach out to me for any help or support. We will be more than happy to support you in your MBA journey.

Book a free session as per your convenience.

Cheers!
Shantanu Sharma, Linkedin
Testimonials

varun325 wrote:
and nationality

Community and others- Part of a local group unregistered for treatment and rescue of Animals specially dogs.
Anything else?

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
varun325 wrote:
and nationality

Anything else?

Hi varun325,

On the first look itself, your profile seems decent with room for further improvements. Since you are targeting an MBA program, your work experience of 7 years is definitely something that will work in your favour.

However, your GMAT score of 640 is a bit on the lower end.

You also have an upper hand on this aspect of your profile considering the fact that you have worked in a govt run bank which adds a feather to your hat and sets you apart from your competitors. Moreover, to further amplify your profile you can focus on the intensity of your work experience by highlighting the kind of projects you worked on, how you were able to add value to this organization and what unique skills you’ve picked up along the journey. All these would cumulatively aid in presenting a all-round work profile that will surely attract the attention of the adcoms.

Speaking of extracurricular activities, you have mentioned that you were an active member of a local unregistered group that is responsible for the treatment and rescue of local animals and specifically stray dogs. This community work is definitely praise worthy and showcases how you are socially responsible. However, you can take this a notch up by elaborating on how you went above and beyond to excel in the same by highlighting your ability to take initiatives and your empathy towards the innocent animals. Furthermore, you can elaborate on the activities you participated in during your college years such as highlighting the kind of events you organized, duties you performed and your major takeaways from the same. All in all, varied skills can contribute towards you being a great future leader which would automatically impress the adcoms.

Coming on to your GMAT score, a 640 while slightly lower than the average requirement of schulich, sets you comfortable to target most of the canadian schools, including Schulich (50% chance of acceptance).

When it comes to the schools that can be targeted, I would advise you to aim for schools based in Germany and Canada that are flexible with their GMAT scores wherein an average score of 640 is certainly accepted. However if you are on the lookout to broaden your options in other countries then a retake is highly suggested. In Germany, you can look at schools such as WHU, FSFM, MANNHEIM and ESMT, while in Canada, you can be looking at schools such as HEC MONTREAL, IVEY, QUEENS, and ROTTMAN.

All said and done, while you have a unique profile, there will be thousands of applicants out there with equally impressive profiles and this is where your application would play a huge role on your chances of bagging an admit as it carries 30% of an impact on your chances of acceptance.

Thus, if you want to know more in-depth and personalised suggestions regarding the schools that you can target and how to overshadow your average GMAT score, you can Book a FREE 20-minute consulting session with one of our expert consultants who will help chalk out a winning strategy that would boost your chances of acceptance by a minimum of 3x! The link is attached below:

https://www.mim-essay.com/book-an-appointment-form/

Hope this helped!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3