It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 04:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Verbal Focus: Should You Read News Publications?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16970 [0], given: 1961

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Verbal Focus: Should You Read News Publications? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2016, 03:44
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Should You Read News Publications to Improve Your GMAT Reading Skill? No.

By EMPOWERgmat

How do you recommend improving GMAT reading skill? Should I start reading works of literature, Scientific American, or The Wall Street Journal?
Sure. Just wait until you're done with the GMAT.

Ramming through works of literature and mainstream news publications will not help you improve your GMAT Reading Comp performance, and amounts to a gross waste of precious time resources. These are all works and publications designed to sell advertising---they're entertainment, and very different from the reading content you'll be required to work through on the GMAT.

GMAT passages are inspired by academic journals and not mass-published articles.

What Should I Read Instead Then?

GMAT Reading Comp passages

How Can I Use RC Passages to Improve My Reading?
1) You must understand what RC passages are designed to measure:
    • Your ability to rapidly generate interest in a myriad of topics when you have to (as you will be required to do in B-School)
    • Understand the motivation of the author
    • Understand how the information in the passage relates to that motivation
    • Your thoroughness in reading the questions and the options
    • Your ability to distinguish between something that can be properly concluded and something that cannot
    • Your accountability to answer the exact question asked

2) You must read at the proper pace for success: 150 Words Per Minute, which is slower than you speak. Reading at this pace will:
    • Afford you plenty of time to finish the section without skimming or guessing
    • Dramatically improve your comprehension and ownership of the passage
    • Reduce the amount of wasted re-reading time
    • Enable you to more rapidly answer the questions
    • Improve your ability to answer the questions correctly

Forget the urge to be done. Otherwise, you're rushing to get a lower score. Read the right way and improve in every dimension (pacing, accuracy, and confidence).

3) You need to know what to look for:
The author's agenda. The author didn't just pointlessly type this stuff. There is always a reason, a motivation behind the writing. You have to read with an eye to detect that motivation. For example, to discuss three challenges to the way medical research papers are peer-reviewed. To discuss a business model, and to enumerate several reasons why it could introduce too much risk.

4) Post CAT
GMAT performance is measured by the skill you possess. You can't memorize skill---you need to train to possess it. You need to REHEARSE. The best way to train to read RC passages is to re-read them in your post-CAT analysis. Go through the motions: 150 WPM, looking for the agenda, noticing how the parts of the passage relate to the whole. Then, rework the questions. "But I remember the answers." Who cares. You're rehearsing the process through repetition. It's not about the answer. It's about building your skill.

5) Tons of Passages
Every CAT you take will contain 4 passages, and between all of the Official Guide material, and those in the course, you have dozens to train on.

Optional Additional Reading Material?
If you are actively following the above guidance, and are still looking for some additional GMAT style matter to rehearse your reading style on, use GMAT-like matter---academic journals. The website J-STOR contains thousands of academic journal articles highly representative of those on the GMAT. However, you have to keep these items in mind:
    • Check on categories that appear on the GMAT (biology, business, arts, archaeology, etc.)
    • Enter the word "the" search field to return all of the results in that category
    • Avoid overly technical passages, or overly technical sections of passages.
    • The GMAT touches on topics in a more superficial manner. Often the abstract, summary, or conclusion is most like the real thing
    • Ignore the citations. The GMAT doesn't use citation numbers
Conclusion
Use your time wisely. Don't waste time on mass-publications. Train to read at 150 WPM. Your work should be a rehearsal to reinforce success oriented tactics rather than the fools gold of question volume without real growth or introspection. Lastly, be consistent in your approach. Resist the urge to bounce around different resources and different methods. Follow what's proven, and prosper.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 16970 [0], given: 1961

EMPOWERgmat Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codese-GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 866 [0], given: 75

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Verbal Focus: Should You Read News Publications? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2016, 01:38
I have a doubt regarding the WPM i.e., words per minute. Should we count the number of words in each essay we read along with total time taken to go through the essay? Can sound silly but I do have it.

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 866 [0], given: 75

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 39

GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
Re: Verbal Focus: Should You Read News Publications? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2017, 07:21
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
I have a doubt regarding the WPM i.e., words per minute. Should we count the number of words in each essay we read along with total time taken to go through the essay? Can sound silly but I do have it.

I have recently started on this advice
What I usually do is copy & paste in an word file & MS Word will count the number of words.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 39

Re: Verbal Focus: Should You Read News Publications?   [#permalink] 27 Sep 2017, 07:21

Verbal Focus: Should You Read News Publications?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap