Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:34 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 660 [1]
Given Kudos: 162
Daboo: Sonu
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Re: Since City X passed a regulation requiring fast food restaurants to po [#permalink]
I have an doubt regarding option C. What if even after a decrease in the number of restaurants, the average price per restaurant goes up ? In such a case the revenue will not come down ! The reason why I say so is this - number of restaurants come down ; logically the existing ones will increase their price as demand will shoot up. Should not the revenue go up then ?

Please correct me !!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 327 [0]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Re: Since City X passed a regulation requiring fast food restaurants to po [#permalink]
Since City X passed a regulation requiring fast food restaurants to post the caloric content of their food in prominent places, total revenue at the city’s fast food restaurants has decreased 10 percent. Clearly, City X’s regulation has encouraged people to eat healthier food.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most doubt on the conclusion drawn above?

A. The average price of meal at a fast food restaurant in City X has decreased by 5 percent.
Could be, but if so, why the decrease of revenue was 10%, probably because some people began t oeat healthier food ----> it is a strenghener, not a weakener

B. City X passed the regulation in response to a nation wide obesity epidemic.
Irelevant, fives us nothing

C. After the regulations were passed, a number of City X’s fast food restaurants closed down and moved their operations to locations outside the city.
Good. The fewer number of restaraunts ---> the less total revenue

D. The population of City X has remained unchanged since the passing of the regulation.
It is no an explanation

E. Surveys show that many citizens of City X do not approve of the new regulations.
Irelevant, fives us nothing

Source: McGraw-Hill's GMAT
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: HBS '22 HEC '22
GMAT 1: 570 Q39 V28
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V26
GPA: 4
Send PM
Here only option C is giving another reason for lower sales. hence this option weakens the argument.
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1777 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
spetznaz wrote:
I have an doubt regarding option C. What if even after a decrease in the number of restaurants, the average price per restaurant goes up ? In such a case the revenue will not come down ! The reason why I say so is this - number of restaurants come down ; logically the existing ones will increase their price as demand will shoot up. Should not the revenue go up then ?

Please correct me !!

Hey spetznaz, good business logic! while you make a god point, it's not enough to cast serious doubt on C.
Why?
Well, take into account that we are not looking that proves for sure that revenues will go down for another reason, just for something that casts doubt on the reason given - that is, something that makes it likely that something else is the cause.
So, why is this answer likely despite the point you make? well, while it's very likely that the individual revenue of the specific restaurants that stay open will increase (as you point out), the chance that the overall revenue is very small indeed - it would require a huge - and unlikely - rise in the revenue of the specific restaurants.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 211
Send PM
Since City X passed a regulation requiring fast food restaurants to po [#permalink]
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
spetznaz wrote:

Please correct me !!

Hey spetznaz, good business logic! while you make a god point, it's not enough to cast serious doubt on C.
Why?
Well, take into account that we are not looking that proves for sure that revenues will go down for another reason, just for something that casts doubt on the reason given - that is, something that makes it likely that something else is the cause.
So, why is this answer likely despite the point you make? well, while it's very likely that the individual revenue of the specific restaurants that stay open will increase (as you point out), the chance that the overall revenue is very small indeed - it would require a huge - and unlikely - rise in the revenue of the specific restaurants.

Hi, I particularly need clarification about this: 'total revenue at the city's fastfood restaurants'. Does this mean total revenue per restaurant or total revenue of all restaurants. I'm quite confused about this because if it means the former, then those restaurants that left town won't really matter and if it means the latter then the OA is valid. So please help me understand.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT Dhanbad
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
AsadAbu wrote:
Since City X passed a regulation requiring fast food restaurants to post the caloric content of their food in prominent places, total revenue at the city’s fast food restaurants has decreased 10 percent. Clearly, City X’s regulation has encouraged people to eat healthier food.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most doubt on the conclusion drawn above?

A. The average price of meal at a fast food restaurant in City X has decreased by 5 percent.
C. After the regulations were passed, a number of City X’s fast food restaurants closed down and moved their operations to locations outside the city.
D. The population of City X has remained unchanged since the passing of the regulation.
E. Surveys show that many citizens of City X do not approve of the new regulations.

Source: McGraw-Hill's GMAT

Premise : Since City X passed a regulation requiring fast food restaurants to post the caloric content of their food in prominent places, total revenue at the city’s fast food restaurants has decreased 10 percent.
Conclusion : Clearly, City X’s regulation has encouraged people to eat healthier food.

Average price decrease of 5% at a single fast food restaurant can't make a decrease of 10% revenue of total revenue of all fast food restaurant at city. (it is possible only if sale is very high for this particular restaurant.) Also decrease in price might attract more customers which may result in increase in revenue.
Let's keep it, it may weaken the statement.

This is a cause of passing regulation but it doesn't weaken the statement.

Correct

A number of City X's fast food restaurants closed down and moved outside the city. So, this caused the decrease in revenue overall directly. And hence this weaken the conclusion that the regulation has encouraged people to eat healthier food.

Doesn't signify anything. Doesn't weaken the conclusion in any way

Out of scope. This might have led to no decrease in revenue.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts