GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 05:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Since City X passed a regulation requiring fast food restaurants to po

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User
Since City X passed a regulation requiring fast food restaurants to po  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2017, 19:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (01:05) correct 38% (01:16) wrong based on 312 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Since City X passed a regulation requiring fast food restaurants to post the caloric content of their food in prominent places, total revenue at the city’s fast food restaurants has decreased 10 percent. Clearly, City X’s regulation has encouraged people to eat healthier food.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most doubt on the conclusion drawn above?

A. The average price of meal at a fast food restaurant in City X has decreased by 5 percent.
B. City X passed the regulation in response to a nation wide obesity epidemic.
C. After the regulations were passed, a number of City X’s fast food restaurants closed down and moved their operations to locations outside the city.
D. The population of City X has remained unchanged since the passing of the regulation.
E. Surveys show that many citizens of City X do not approve of the new regulations.

Source: McGraw-Hill's GMAT

“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Daboo: Sonu
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Since City X passed a regulation requiring fast food restaurants to po  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2017, 09:10
iMyself wrote:
Since City X passed a regulation requiring fast food restaurants to post the caloric content of their food in prominent places, total revenue at the city’s fast food restaurants has decreased 10 percent. Clearly, City X’s regulation has encouraged people to eat healthier food.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most doubt on the conclusion drawn above?

A. The average price of meal at a fast food restaurant in City X has decreased by 5 percent.
C. After the regulations were passed, a number of City X’s fast food restaurants closed down and moved their operations to locations outside the city.
D. The population of City X has remained unchanged since the passing of the regulation.
E. Surveys show that many citizens of City X do not approve of the new regulations.

This is causal argument and one can find the causality in the conclusion
"Clearly, City X’s regulation has encouraged people to eat healthier food.
"

rgulation (cause) -------> eating healthier food (effect)
so if we show another cause leads to the same effect then the argument is weaken.
c does the same
hence "C. After the regulations were passed, a number of City X’s fast food restaurants closed down and moved their operations to locations outside the city." is our answer

You have to have the darkness for the dawn to come.

Give Kudos if you like my post

Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Since City X passed a regulation requiring fast food restaurants to po  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2017, 09:29
Cause and Effect Argument

Cause: New Regulation
Effect: Decrease in Revenue

Conclusion: Regulations encouraged people to eat healthier food.

A. The average price of meal at a fast food restaurant in City X has decreased by 5 percent. : How does this tells that the revenue could decrease? Incorrect.
B. City X passed the regulation in response to a nation wide obesity epidemic. : We don't care why did they pass it. Incorrect
C. After the regulations were passed, a number of City X’s fast food restaurants closed down and moved their operations to locations outside the city. Ok. So, Now the restaurants have closed and moved outside. So, earlier we had say 100 restaurants and now we have only 90. Obviously total would decrease. So, this could be the reason for the decrease and not what has been stated above. I would say and Alternate Cause to weaken the conclusion. Hence, Correct.
D. The population of City X has remained unchanged since the passing of the regulation. : So, It actually strengthens the argument by saying population was not changed.
E. Surveys show that many citizens of City X do not approve of the new regulations. : Whether they approve it or not. We don't care. Revenue should not be affected in that case.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Check our new About Us Page here.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.33
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 06:47
I have an doubt regarding option C. What if even after a decrease in the number of restaurants, the average price per restaurant goes up ? In such a case the revenue will not come down ! The reason why I say so is this - number of restaurants come down ; logically the existing ones will increase their price as demand will shoot up. Should not the revenue go up then ?

Please correct me !!

" The few , the fearless "

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Other)

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2018, 19:03

Could be, but if so, why the decrease of revenue was 10%, probably because some people began t oeat healthier food ----> it is a strenghener, not a weakener

Irelevant, fives us nothing

Good. The fewer number of restaraunts ---> the less total revenue

It is no an explanation

Irelevant, fives us nothing

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: HBS '22, HEC '22
GMAT 1: 570 Q39 V28
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V26
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 17:35
Here only option C is giving another reason for lower sales. hence this option weakens the argument.

I hope this helped. If this was indeed helpful, then you may say Thank You by giving a Kudos!

examPAL Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 08:40
spetznaz wrote:
I have an doubt regarding option C. What if even after a decrease in the number of restaurants, the average price per restaurant goes up ? In such a case the revenue will not come down ! The reason why I say so is this - number of restaurants come down ; logically the existing ones will increase their price as demand will shoot up. Should not the revenue go up then ?

Please correct me !!

Hey spetznaz, good business logic! while you make a god point, it's not enough to cast serious doubt on C.
Why?
Well, take into account that we are not looking that proves for sure that revenues will go down for another reason, just for something that casts doubt on the reason given - that is, something that makes it likely that something else is the cause.
So, why is this answer likely despite the point you make? well, while it's very likely that the individual revenue of the specific restaurants that stay open will increase (as you point out), the chance that the overall revenue is very small indeed - it would require a huge - and unlikely - rise in the revenue of the specific restaurants.

I am a CR Expert - Ask Me ANYTHING about CR
I am a DS Expert - Ask Me ANYTHING about DS

Watch free GMAT tutorials in Math, Verbal, IR, and AWA.

GMAT test takers: Watch now the GMAC interview with the people who write the GMAT test!
We discussed the chances of improving a GMAT score; how important the first questions on the test are; what to do if you don’t have enough time to complete a whole section; and more.

You can watch all the action from the interview here.

Manager
Manager
B
Since City X passed a regulation requiring fast food restaurants to po  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2018, 04:37
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
spetznaz wrote:

Please correct me !!

Hey spetznaz, good business logic! while you make a god point, it's not enough to cast serious doubt on C.
Why?
Well, take into account that we are not looking that proves for sure that revenues will go down for another reason, just for something that casts doubt on the reason given - that is, something that makes it likely that something else is the cause.
So, why is this answer likely despite the point you make? well, while it's very likely that the individual revenue of the specific restaurants that stay open will increase (as you point out), the chance that the overall revenue is very small indeed - it would require a huge - and unlikely - rise in the revenue of the specific restaurants.

Hi, I particularly need clarification about this: 'total revenue at the city's fastfood restaurants'. Does this mean total revenue per restaurant or total revenue of all restaurants. I'm quite confused about this because if it means the former, then those restaurants that left town won't really matter and if it means the latter then the OA is valid. So please help me understand.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
P
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2018, 05:06
AsadAbu wrote:

Premise : Since City X passed a regulation requiring fast food restaurants to post the caloric content of their food in prominent places, total revenue at the city’s fast food restaurants has decreased 10 percent.
Conclusion : Clearly, City X’s regulation has encouraged people to eat healthier food.

Average price decrease of 5% at a single fast food restaurant can't make a decrease of 10% revenue of total revenue of all fast food restaurant at city. (it is possible only if sale is very high for this particular restaurant.) Also decrease in price might attract more customers which may result in increase in revenue.
Let's keep it, it may weaken the statement.

This is a cause of passing regulation but it doesn't weaken the statement.

Correct

A number of City X's fast food restaurants closed down and moved outside the city. So, this caused the decrease in revenue overall directly. And hence this weaken the conclusion that the regulation has encouraged people to eat healthier food.

Doesn't signify anything. Doesn't weaken the conclusion in any way

Out of scope. This might have led to no decrease in revenue.

CAT 2017 99th percentiler : VA 97.27 | DI-LR 96.84 | QA 98.04 | OA 98.95
UPSC Aspirants : Get my app UPSC Important News Reader from Play store.

MBA Social Network : WebMaggu

Appreciate by Clicking +1 Kudos ( Lets be more generous friends.)

What I believe is : "Nothing is Impossible, Even Impossible says I'm Possible" : "Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish".

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Since City X passed a regulation requiring fast food restaurants to po &nbs [#permalink] 28 Sep 2018, 05:06

Since City X passed a regulation requiring fast food restaurants to po

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap