Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:15 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [4]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GPA: 2.9
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V46
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: SKYPE etiquette [#permalink]
Should the headsets be used for better hearing?
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [1]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Kudos
I knew someonewho dressed appropriately from the waist up during a skype interview. The interviewer, impressed, enquired whether he had the matching pants and dress shoes. Unfortunately, he wore gym shorts.

Make sure that the background is neutral and there isn't any external noise (loud TV in the next room, the lawnmower or barking dog outside, etc.). Inform your family and friends that you have an interview at that time, but lock your door just in case. And turn off your cell-phone!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [9]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Here what I come up with.....

1. Present yourself in professional attire. – Business casual/suit all preferable. Message is “dress for success”. If you are wearing just a jacket and no pants, it’s no good. Your mind needs to think that you are preparing for something important. Also, your grace (i.e. interviewer) could ask you to stand up.
2. Professional setup – Take your interview in a most professional environment. Clean up your desk; Turn your table facing a clear wall; Close your door so no one can interrupt you; Keep a notepad, pencil and a glass of water. Also, check the background light – neither too dark nor to bright.
3. Test your mic and webcam. Call your brother or sister or friends and have casual conversation. At the end of the conversation, ask if they were able to hear properly. If you are experiencing voice-breakup or the call is dropping, better check your internet connectivity. Also, ask your sibling or friend if they can see you properly without delays or frozen screen. If you are not able to fix any of the problems, let you interviewer know before the start of the interview.
4. Check the room temperature – adjust the thermostat accordingly; See you can’t do this in face-to-face interview. I found out that I was able to best perform when it is more chilling. It’s just me.
5. Before the interview, make sure you know who is going to initiate a call. If not, call the admission office and ask clearly.
6. Make yourself available 20 mins before the call; Some colleges do skype testing, which could disrupt your mental state.
7. Make sure no other program is running in your laptop or computer. Close browser/explorer/etc.
8. Prefer to get a call on phone; Even inform your interviewer that you could call them if possible. Some interviewer will allow it. If you are using Skype for voice call, make sure you speak slowly as it is known to have problem.
9. Pass proper pleasantries to your interviewers. Remember their names.
10. Once you get a turn to speak, first let them know about any ensuing system problem/voice drop.
11. Maintain proper eye contact and “SMILE”. Do not forget to smile.
12. Don’t come too close to webcam. Maintain proper distance.
13. Do not make any unusual facial expression. This happened with me. I said something wrong and grimaced. Be confident. Apologize if something went wrong.
14. If you are not able to listen to your interviewer, apologize and ask them to repeat. While apologizing, you can say that you are having problem with your internet. They will understand.
15. If you are unsure about the question, apologize again and clarify it.
16. Show your hand moments only if required.
17. If your legs are shaking, don’t worry. They can’t see you. But try to calm yourself down. And don’t shake your body.
18. While replying, still maintain eye contact. Don’t stare up or down. You can probably do in face interview. But in skype interview, it connotes wrong intention. The interviewer may think you are looking some prepared answers.
19. This goes without saying. The remaining format of the interview is the same. Be clear, confident. Answer with personalized examples. Ask any question if you have.
20. During your interview, sit straight. Your body language is still very visible to everyone else.
21. At the end, finish the interview with the closing arguments. Thanks them for their time and apologize for any inconvenience.
22. Take your time to shut off the webcam and mic before you talk to your family. If mic is on, they can still hear you. :lol:
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GRE 1: Q800 V800
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Awesome pointers!

talk2vj wrote:
5. Before the interview, make sure you know who is going to initiate a call. If not, call the admission office and ask clearly.

I think this is the most overlooked point. Get this cleared up a few days before the call.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
We do a lot of these Skype interviews here at ESADE; I suggest using headphones (someone asked this), as often I can hear myself twice, once when I ask a question and once on the candidat's side. There will always be a time lag, and this is extremely distracting.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools: LBS '14 (D)
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
I have a question regarding a skype interview ?

In case the webcam option is not there, is it still possible to have an interview on skype (I know it tantamounts to a telephonic conversation) ?

Would schools entertain such interview ?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
my interview with ceibs happened without a webcam. I had a webcam but due to slow internet speed, the webcam stopped working.

I dont think any school purposefully does interview without webcam.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I agree with Aviroop - but each school may have its own policy...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V37
Send PM
bmillan01 wrote:
I knew someonewho dressed appropriately from the waist up during a skype interview. The interviewer, impressed, enquired whether he had the matching pants and dress shoes. Unfortunately, he wore gym shorts.

Make sure that the background is neutral and there isn't any external noise (loud TV in the next room, the lawnmower or barking dog outside, etc.). Inform your family and friends that you have an interview at that time, but lock your door just in case. And turn off your cell-phone!

I laughed out loud for the example.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GPA: 2.9
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
Hey the tip sure were awesome.....
Thanks a lot for the help...
Wish I could figure out what I did wrong during all my interviews :)
Hope the others reading this make it thru to their prospective schools :)
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply
bmillan01 wrote:

This be golden
What happened to him btw???
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
He didn't receive an offer from that particular institution. From what I recall, the pants question adversely affected his confidence level during the interview. I'm not sure how big of an influence these issues had on the interviewer's decision, but it most likely hurt his chances.

I suppose that the lesson here is to do everything possible to ensure a successful interview. Half measures leave you vulnerable.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
I had an interview on Skype recently. Luckily there were no drops in call/video quality etc.

It also helped that I used my iPhone earphones (since they have a mic in them), to do the call. I wore a white shirt with my suit so it could be concealed fairly well. Even if you don't/can't conceal them, it should not be a problem as they're not as distracting as a headset.

This tip won't apply to everyone but it sure helped me. Good luck ;)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Instead of complicating the matter further, let me siplify the things.

Treat SKYPE interview same as face to face interviews, so dress properly.

Test connectivity, voice and video quality before you can act.

Test lighting

Ensure you are having the best posture

Can try some test voice and video quality check

Follow common mannerism

Thats all, it is not rocket science.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MAKE SURE YOUR CAMERA AND SCREEN ARE EYE CONTACT SO YOU CAN LOOK AT THE PERSON ON SCREEN AND AT THE CAMERA AT THE SAME TIME, SO IT MAINTAINS EYE CONTACT WITH THE INTERVIEWER AT ALL TIMES. MOST PPL ARE LOOKING DOWN, NOT MAKING EYE CONTACT BECAUSE THEIR LOOKING AT THE INTERVIEWER ON THE SCREEN.

OR JUST BOOK THE FLIGHT TO GO TO THE SCHOOL FOR THE INTERVIEW IF ITS NOT TOO FAR. (EX IF I WAS IN NEW YORK, ID FLY TO USC FOR MY INTERVIEW.)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
dc1234 wrote:
MAKE SURE YOUR CAMERA AND SCREEN ARE EYE CONTACT SO YOU CAN LOOK AT THE PERSON ON SCREEN AND AT THE CAMERA AT THE SAME TIME, SO IT MAINTAINS EYE CONTACT WITH THE INTERVIEWER AT ALL TIMES. MOST PPL ARE LOOKING DOWN, NOT MAKING EYE CONTACT BECAUSE THEIR LOOKING AT THE INTERVIEWER ON THE SCREEN.

OR JUST BOOK THE FLIGHT TO GO TO THE SCHOOL FOR THE INTERVIEW IF ITS NOT TOO FAR. (EX IF I WAS IN NEW YORK, ID FLY TO USC FOR MY INTERVIEW.)

Can you please share your wisdom on writing etiquette?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32863 [0]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
good points to know :)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2