GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Jun 2019, 19:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a strong regener

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
Re: Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a strong regener  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2019, 17:11
(A) one arm is lost it quickly replaces it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating and
The pronoun it needs to refer to the same thing. It refers to both starfish and arm in this situation.

(B) one arm is lost it is quickly replaced, with the animal sometimes overcompensating and
Correct - there are no pronoun issues. Compensating is parallel with growing.

(C) they lose one arm they quickly replace it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating,
Sometimes by the animal is awkward

(D) they lose one arm they are quickly replaced, with the animal sometimes overcompensating,
Pronoun issues with they and they

(E) they lose one arm it is quickly replaced, sometimes with the animal overcompensating,
Adverbial modifier issues here with , growing - eliminate
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a strong regener  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2019, 08:44
Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a strong regenerative ability, and if one arm is lost it quickly replaces it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating and growing an extra one or two.

(A) one arm is lost it quickly replaces it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating and
(B) one arm is lost it is quickly replaced, with the animal sometimes overcompensating and
(C) they lose one arm they quickly replace it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating,
(D) they lose one arm they are quickly replaced, with the animal sometimes overcompensating,
(E) they lose one arm it is quickly replaced, sometimes with the animal overcompensating

I have a question:
Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, 'have' a strong

Does the prepositional phrase have anything to do with the 'have' here... Starfish have a strong... May mean that strfish is being treated plural here

Posted from my mobile device
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2019, 12:05
Panoj wrote:
Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a strong regenerative ability, and if one arm is lost it quickly replaces it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating and growing an extra one or two.

(E) they lose one arm it is quickly replaced, sometimes with the animal overcompensating

I have a question:

Does the prepositional phrase have anything to do with the 'have' here... Starfish have a strong... May mean that strfish is being treated plural here

Posted from my mobile device

Hello Panoj!

You are correct in thinking that "Starfish" is a plural subject here! Whenever we talk about types of animals, we consider them plural - even if the word sounds singular. For animals, some "types" of animals sound plural, while others don't:

a dog / dogs
a slug / slugs
a bear / bears

a deer / deer
a starfish / starfish
a sheep / sheep
a fish / fish

Obviously, there are many, many more examples - but you get the idea! For this sentence, it's referring to starfish as a type of animal, not an individual starfish, so we need to treat it like a plural subject.

I hope that clears things up!
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2019, 20:16
Panoj wrote:
I have a question:

No. The prepositional phrase doesn't affect the choice of verb in this case.

The plural of starfish is starfish itself. Even starfishes is fine. :)

Given that we know that starfish can be plural, it is okay if the sentence uses have with starfish. The sentence could have gone with the singular starfish, but then we'd need an a before starfish.

A starfish has...
Starfish have...

Re: Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a strong regener   [#permalink] 07 May 2019, 20:16

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 44 posts ] 

Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a strong regener

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics