GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 22 Jan 2020, 09:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Statisticians have constructed many complex mathematical models design

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
P
Statisticians have constructed many complex mathematical models design  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2019, 02:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

14% (01:52) correct 86% (01:51) wrong based on 970 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Statisticians have constructed many complex mathematical models designed to predict voter behavior, but since even the best of the models failed to correctly predict the winner in many of last year’s parliamentary races, in the coming years it is going to be improved in order to accurately forecast the results of the next election.

A - in the coming years it is going to be improved in order to more accurately forecast the results of the next election

B - over the coming years they will improve the model by enabling it to more accurately forecast the results of the next election

C - it is going to be improved in order to more accurately forecast the results of the election in the coming years

D - they are going to be improved in order to more accurately forecast the results in the coming years of the next election

E - most of the models are going to be improved in order to more accurately forecast the results of the election in the coming years

Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Statisticians have constructed many complex mathematical models design  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2019, 04:40
Quote:
Statisticians have constructed many complex mathematical models designed to predict voter behavior, but since even the best of the models failed to correctly predict the winner in many of last year’s parliamentary races, in the coming years it is going to be improved in order to accurately forecast the results of the next election.

Definitely did not get this question right. I was fooled & was torn between A & B.

A - in the coming years it is going to be improved in order to more accurately forecast the results of the next election

I eliminated this at first, thinking "it" was wrong but was definitely fooled by the subject "the best of models" which actually takes on a singular. I supposed I really need to not eliminate questionable pronouns out of habit!

B - over the coming years they will improve the model by enabling it to more accurately forecast the results of the next election

I thought that "they" accurately represented "statisticians"....since who else can improve models, but "enabling it to" changes the meaning slightly. "Enable it to" kind of makes it seem like the statisticians need to give permission, which is not what this is trying to say. We're trying to say that we're improving the model for X reason not that we know how to improve the model already, we just have to give it the capability to do something.

C - it is going to be improved in order to more accurately forecast the results of the election in the coming years

Incorrect because "in the coming years" looks like its attached to election when the original meaning intends for the model improvements to be modified by "in the coming years."

D - they are going to be improved in order to more accurately forecast the results in the coming years of the next election

Same issue as above. Also, they should be "it" is since the subject is "the best of models".

E - most of the models are going to be improved in order to more accurately forecast the results of the election in the coming years

Same issue as C.

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Re: Statisticians have constructed many complex mathematical models design  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2019, 06:42
I felt the first option would be incorrect as it is too verbose and 'it' would be incorrect since the subject would be multiple designs(considering that the sentence within commas can be eliminated).
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2019, 18:53
I dont think A is the correct answer nor this is a good quality problem. The part inside the comas is just an additional information and the subject of that part can't be the one that "it" refers to.
Manager
Manager
B
Re: Statisticians have constructed many complex mathematical models design  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2019, 23:21
Skyline393 wrote:

Please share OE. i DONT understand how "going to be " is correct for future action.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2019, 01:04
Mohammad Ali Khan wrote:
Skyline393 wrote:

Please share OE. i DONT understand how "going to be " is correct for future action.

Official Explanation is as follows:

(1) Take a First Glance (5 seconds)

All five answer choices begin differently, but the only topic hinted at by the initial splits is Pronouns (it vs. they). You’ll have to dig deeper to investigate the problems with the other answers.

(2) Read for Meaning

The main subject of this sentence is the best (of the mathematical models). Since of the models is a prepositional phrase, ignore it when you identify the subject. Like fish or species, the word best can be singular or plural (my best friend; the best movies of the year). It’s important to look for another clue to determine whether the appropriate pronoun is it or they; is there a non-underlined verb or pronoun that points to best, indicating whether it is singular or plural? The verb failed goes with best, but failed could be either singular or plural. It turns out that best can be singular or plural in this sentence; either interpretation is consistent with the rest of the sentence, so the it vs. they split is a red herring.

Scan the answers vertically to find another difference that you can use to evaluate the answers.

(3) Find a Starting Point

Start with any difference that seems easiest to you, then move to the next easiest issue, and so on. Stop when you have one answer or you aren’t sure how to address the remaining differences. All errors for each choice are detailed in the next section.

(4) Eliminate (and Repeat)

(A) CORRECT. The modifier in the coming years correctly modifies the clause that follows (it is going to be improved), describing when the model is going to be improved.

(B) This sentence says that the statisticians will improve the model. The word by indicates that what follows is the way in which they will improve the model—perhaps the statisticians will tweak the algorithm or run more simulations. Instead, the sentence continues, by enabling it to accurately forecast the results of the next election. Enabling the model to accurately forecast the election is the consequence, not the cause, of the improved model.

(C) This answer may sound very tempting; the only difference between this choice and the correct answer is the placement of the modifier in the coming years. Here, in the coming years is placed next to the election. But a single election does not take place over a time period lasting years; had the sentence instead said elections, the modifier placement would be acceptable.

(D) The modifier in the coming years is placed next to the results, implying that the model is going to forecast the election results over a period of years. But the forecast will take place at a particular moment. In the coming years should modify it is going to be improved; the process of improving the model is what will take years.

(E) This answer repeats the modifier mistake from answer (C): in the coming years is placed next to the election. But a single election does not take place over a time period lasting years; had the sentence instead said elections, the modifier placement would be acceptable.
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2019, 13:51
Mohammad Ali Khan wrote:
Skyline393 wrote:

John ate bad food in the morning from the market. I think he's going to fall sick.
The sentence I just created has "going to fall sick" construction that is similar to "going to be" construction and as you can see, such constructions can be used to represent future in certain cases.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2019, 06:09
You’re getting it wrong because all the answers are wrong. There are multiple models, but the OA uses the singular “it” to describe them.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V27
GRE 1: Q160 V150
GPA: 2.7

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2019, 09:39
I cancelled A because Mathematical models -Plural , It - singular

Rakesh1987
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 4
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2019, 10:08
prags1989 wrote:
I cancelled A because Mathematical models -Plural , It - singular

Rakesh1987

prags1989
This was a very tough one, and i got it wrong at first. But now I see the reason.

The sentence talks about mathematical models and best of the model both. And the sentence also mentions it is going to be improved. Here as it is singular, best of the models, which is also singular, is the clear antecedent for it; therefore, we need not assume that complex mathematical models, which is plural, is the antecedent. "most of the models" is a new addition, and it changes the meaning of the sentence. Put in a different way "1) What suggests you that Best of the models can't be the antecedent and it referring to best of the models is a mistake and 2) Even if you believe that it was mistake and reference should have been to mathematical models, how do you explain the word "most"." There are your two clear reasons to eliminate E.

Please hit +1 Kudos if you liked the explanation. :cool:
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2019, 05:59
Dear experts,
mikemcgarry IanStewart VeritasKarishma daagh EMPOWERgmatVerbal EMPOWERgmatRichC AjiteshArun GMATNinja walker DmitryFarber

Can you please shed some light on this question?
I could not decide between option A and option B.
Ultimately I chose option B only because of the idiom "over the coming years".
The meaning difference suggested by OE is really subtle.
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2019, 11:05
Top Contributor

I see something awry in the question. The idea of passage is not to improve just one model. It is to improve the entire system of psephology by overhauling all the existing models or at least most of them
The prompt is implying that "since even the best of the models failed last year, all others also failed; therefore all the models need to be improved. Reference to 'even' is to emphasize this aspect. Therefore, we can see the irrelevance of the singular 'it' in the context. We can also see the relevance of "most models" in E. The point is not to improve one model but to improve at least a majority of them.
I beg to differ with the OA and OE.
V

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2019, 22:34
aniket16c wrote:
Dear experts,
mikemcgarry IanStewart VeritasKarishma daagh EMPOWERgmatVerbal EMPOWERgmatRichC AjiteshArun GMATNinja walker DmitryFarber

Can you please shed some light on this question?
I could not decide between option A and option B.
Ultimately I chose option B only because of the idiom "over the coming years".
The meaning difference suggested by OE is really subtle.

None of the options makes sense. Is it a Manhattan GMAT question? Perhaps someone from Manhattan can confirm.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2019, 05:50

The models are going to be improved over the coming years to predict the results in the next election. IN option B,C and D the phrasing has been changed to ‘results of the election in the coming years’ . It gives the wrong impression that the next election is going to happen in the coming years rather than the original intent of modifying the time from in which the models will be modified. Hence option B,C and D are incorrect.

Option A is correct. Here ‘it’ refers to the best of the models. There will be only one best. Hence a singular pronoun can be used. It makes more sense to modify only the best of the models rather than to modify all of the models till date

Here they refers correctly to the statisticians because if the refers to the model, then it would mean models will improve the models…which is absurd. But the issue is when we use ‘they’ to refer back to something, it will mean the same set of people. It doesn’t have to be the same set of statiticins who are going to modify the models in the future.It can be different set.
Hence option B is incorrect.

Option C is incorrect because of the reason stated beginning.

Option D is incorrect because of the reason stated in the beginning. Also the use of they is very vague over here. Will all the models be improved?..why would the. Statisticians improve all of them? It makes more sense to modify just the best of the models

Option E is incorrect because of the reason stated in the in the beginning.
GMAT Club Bot
Statisticians have constructed many complex mathematical models design   [#permalink] 26 Dec 2019, 05:50

Statisticians have constructed many complex mathematical models design

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics