It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 19:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ten years ago, the death rate from Neural Synapse Deficiency

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 64 [2], given: 0

Ten years ago, the death rate from Neural Synapse Deficiency [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2012, 21:13
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

57% (01:33) correct 43% (01:59) wrong based on 631 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Ten years ago, the death rate from Neural Synapse Deficiency – related causes was 5% of all persons infected with the dreaded anti-synapse virus that causes it. Today, the corresponding figure has risen to more than 15%. This is clear evidence that over the past ten years, the rate of propagation and the malignancy of the virus has increased substantially.

Which of the following, if true, most substantially strengthens the argument above?
A. Anti-synapse virus screening and detection methods have been dramatically improved over the past decade.
B. The number of anti-synapse virus infected persons has increased tenfold over the past ten years.
C. The number of persons who are willing to submit the anti-synapse virus screening has increased significantly over the past ten years.
D. The number of recognized Neural Synapse Deficiency related causes of death has remained relatively constant over the past ten years.
E. New drugs have been developed over the past ten years that significantly lessen the debilitating effects of the Neural Synapse Deficiency virus.

That’s a typical example of the “3+2” rule for the “strengthen” question, exemplifying the elimination of a wrong answer that "slightly strengthens, but not enough." “Will there be four answers do not strengthen the argument, and exactly one that does”?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 64 [2], given: 0

G

Kudos [?]: 9096 [0], given: 1155

Re: Ten years ago, the death rate from Neural Synapse Deficiency [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2012, 04:54

Last edited by carcass on 21 Jul 2012, 09:46, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 9096 [0], given: 1155

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 354 [0], given: 75

GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2012, 06:31
Which of the following, if true, most substantially strengthens the argument above?
A. Anti-synapse virus screening and detection methods have been dramatically improved over the past decade.
weakening;incorrect
B. The number of anti-synapse virus infected persons has increased tenfold over the past ten years.
no. of infected persons has increased causing more death percentage reveals that the virus is proliferating drastically;strengthen
C. The number of persons who are willing to submit the anti-synapse virus screening has increased significantly over the past ten years.
usually the willingness of telling the disease develops when the disease becomes lethal, though this AC is not correct, this can be considered as inference.
D. The number of recognized Neural Synapse Deficiency related causes of death has remained relatively constant over the past ten years.
weakening
E. New drugs have been developed over the past ten years that significantly lessen the debilitating effects of the Neural Synapse Deficiency virus.
weakening

IMO (B)

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Kudos [?]: 354 [0], given: 75

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2014, 08:30
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2015, 22:29
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 06:11
A:the number might have been same: before it was not detected. now with better tech detection is there.
B: number has increased therefore the disease has increased.
C:willing to submit: number is same: before no submit. Today submit. increase is because there is submission.
D:COD is cocnstant. but no info abt propagation: may have increased. may have decreased . or may be constant. (if there was no Option B. Then this is what i would have picked.)
E:Effects have been reduced:AC is irrelevant as number of cases is important

I was initially picking A: But then i thgt this might be saying the cases have not changed i.e. number is fixed. so changed my reasoning. and got B. took me some 40 -45 sec extra.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2015, 05:14
Hi everyone,

Here option C is incorrect because the increase in the screening of the virus do not necessarily strengthen the conclusion that the disease has propagated.It could be possible that people who are wiling to attend the screening are not infected by the anti-synapse virus at all.Their willingness for screening cannot be misconstrued here.

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 214

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2017, 01:18
why D is wrong? :roll:
In B it might be possible that total no of people also increased.so the overall figure will be approx. same(5%)

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 214

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 58

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2017, 09:41
jishann wrote:
why D is wrong? :roll:
In B it might be possible that total no of people also increased.so the overall figure will be approx. same(5%)

Hi Jishann,

Ten years ago, the death rate from Neural Synapse Deficiency – related causes was 5% of all persons infected with the dreaded anti-synapse virus that causes it. Today, the corresponding figure has risen to more than 15%. This is clear evidence that over the past ten years, the rate of propagation and the malignancy of the virus has increased substantially. -- Conclusion is in blue. We need to strengthen that the number of cases are going up.

B. The number of anti-synapse virus infected persons has increased tenfold over the past ten years. -- Cases are going up; The virus has infected more people over the years
D. The number of recognized Neural Synapse Deficiency related causes of death has remained relatively constant over the past ten years. -- This talks about the rate of death and not the about the conclusion

Does this help?

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 47

Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2017, 10:40
I feel D is the correct answer.Why D is incorrect over B?

Regards,
Naveen
email: nkmungila@gmail.com
Please press kudos if you like this post

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 47

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 236

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Insead Sept'18
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V23
GPA: 3.25

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2017, 03:42
nkmungila wrote:

In D, "the number of... causes of death"(constant) does not have anything to do with "the rate of propagation and the malignancy of the virus" (increased) --> Because it does not increase or reduce the number of affected cases.

The conclusion: "This is clear evidence that over the past ten years, the rate of propagation and the malignancy of the virus has increased substantially."
--> D is irrelevant

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 236

Manager
Manager
G

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2017, 04:39
nkmungila wrote:

Hi @nkmunglia,

Please see my post above. I think it'll help!

Posted from my mobile device

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 913 [0], given: 54

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2017, 07:52
gjg wrote:
Ten years ago, the death rate from Neural Synapse Deficiency – related causes was 5% of all persons infected with the dreaded anti-synapse virus that causes it. Today, the corresponding figure has risen to more than 15%. This is clear evidence that over the past ten years, the rate of propagation and the malignancy of the virus has increased substantially.

This choice antually weakens the argument. If screening and detection methods have been improved, the increasing figure is due to improved detection system, not by the increasing rate of propagation and the malignancy of the virus

Correct. We could use negative technique.

If we negative this choice, then the number of anti-synapse virus infected persons has decreased. Hence, a figure of 15% at the present is actually lower than a figure of 5% in the past. The argument is destroyed.

Same as A. This choice weakens the argument.

This choice states about the number of death so this choice is irrelevant to the argument.

Same as A, this choice weakens the argument.

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Kudos [?]: 913 [0], given: 54

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 126

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2017, 11:27

A. Anti-synapse virus screening and detection methods have been dramatically improved over the past decade. -This weakens the argument. If the technology has improved, then the number of deaths should have also reduced.
B. The number of anti-synapse virus infected persons has increased tenfold over the past ten years. -Correct. If the number of infected people has increased, then it strengthens the argument that the rate of propagation and the malignancy of the virus has increased substantially.
C. The number of persons who are willing to submit the anti-synapse virus screening has increased significantly over the past ten years. -This weakens the argument. If the people are willing to support the doctors, then the cure must have been developed.
D. The number of recognized Neural Synapse Deficiency related causes of death has remained relatively constant over the past ten years. -This weakens the argument. If the number of deaths remained constant, then with the increase in # of infected people the percentage should have reduced.
E. New drugs have been developed over the past ten years that significantly lessen the debilitating effects of the Neural Synapse Deficiency virus. -This weakens the argument. If vaccine is available then the deaths must have reduced.

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 126

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 08:34
Hi all,

I see this question as a quants problem.

I think the argument is arriving at the conclusion based on the 15% percent number.

Basically ratio is (no of deaths/no of infected)

ten years ago, the ratio , no of deaths/no of infected = 5/100,
ratio now, no of deaths/no of infected = 15/100.

The argument can be strengthened, if no of deaths now > no of deaths 10 years ago, merely show higher ratio does not strengthen the conclusion.

We need to show the actual no of deaths is higher.

Choice B gives, the no of infected increased ten fold.

say no of infected ten years ago is 100, then no of deaths is 5 (5%)
now by choice B, no of infected is ten fold, so 1000, by ratio 15%, number of deaths (15/100)*1000 = 150, which is definitely greater than no of deaths 10 years which is 5. So this strengthens the conclusion " the rate of propagation and the malignancy of the virus has increased substantially. "

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 12

Re: Ten years ago, the death rate from Neural Synapse Deficiency   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2017, 08:34

Ten years ago, the death rate from Neural Synapse Deficiency

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap