Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:24 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
GRE 1: Q157 V168
GPA: 3.62
WE:Account Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Tepper (no money) vs Paul Merage (45% scholarship) [#permalink]
hornet2011 wrote:
Tough call for sure. I would go with Tepper though. I have no idea as to how strong a program Meramge is in your desired industry, but CMU is a tech powerhouse

There's a $100k debt difference over the two years. After reviewing the employment stats and salary it seems to be similar. I just wonder how much the name matters down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Congrats!
Merage would allow you to stay in So Cal and leverage some of your network there. Now, entertainment is very hard to get into, as you probably know. Merage is not going to help you with scoring a job in this industry (you will have to work the alums and even then it is going to be tough to land an internship or a job) - you will definitely have to work for it.

However, consider the outcomes and your classmates. Merage average salary is $100K and Tepper clocks at $140K. Sure it is more expensive but you will get it back within a few years. My main argument against Merage is that you will be attending a top 50 school in SoCal that already has Anderson and Marshall that are not doing all that amazing with their recruiting. You also throw in there Pepperdine and Loyola and you have a lot of MBA's chasing good jobs.

I don't think Tepper is going to be extra helpful in landing you a Media/Entertainment job but it sure will provide some back up alternatives and the caliber of classmates will be much greater - that's a big plus. You will spend a ton of time with them; they will be your network, and you are not just attending a school that has a certain ranking - the ranking mostly applies towards the applicants/students. I would suggest considering Tepper's offer seriously. Some people pay 4-10x more for a business class seat on an 8-hour flight. You have 2 years to go; not that much of a premium for going to a top 20 school.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
Congrats!
Merage would allow you to stay in So Cal and leverage some of your network there. Now, entertainment is very hard to get into, as you probably know. Merage is not going to help you with scoring a job in this industry (you will have to work the alums and even then it is going to be tough to land an internship or a job) - you will definitely have to work for it.

However, consider the outcomes and your classmates. Merage average salary is $100K and Tepper clocks at $140K. Sure it is more expensive but you will get it back within a few years. My main argument against Merage is that you will be attending a top 50 school in SoCal that already has Anderson and Marshall that are not doing all that amazing with their recruiting. You also throw in there Pepperdine and Loyola and you have a lot of MBA's chasing good jobs.

I don't think Tepper is going to be extra helpful in landing you a Media/Entertainment job but it sure will provide some back up alternatives and the caliber of classmates will be much greater - that's a big plus. You will spend a ton of time with them; they will be your network, and you are not just attending a school that has a certain ranking - the ranking mostly applies towards the applicants/students. I would suggest considering Tepper's offer seriously. Some people pay 4-10x more for a business class seat on an 8-hour flight. You have 2 years to go; not that much of a premium for going to a top 20 school.

Thanks for your detailed input. Where do you see the 140k average for tepper? I thought itwas 117k

Founder
Founder
Send PM
Tepper (no money) vs Paul Merage (45% scholarship) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I saw it in the US News rankings but they combine bonus + salary in one figure and it was 140K for Tepper. You are correct that it is $117 without bonus. This represents a 20% bonus, which is typical for a mid-level manager (e.g. Sr. Manager/Director approximately though this position/level may be very different in different orgs)

For Merage the salary alone is $96K and salary+bonus is $102, indicating that Merage has a 5-7% bonus, indicative of a lower-grade positions that tend to carry smaller bonuses or a different type of work that has less performance-based incentives.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
I saw it in the US News rankings but they combine bonus + salary in one figure and it was 140K for Tepper. You are correct that it is $117 without bonus. This represents a 20% bonus, which is typical for a mid-level manager (e.g. Sr. Manager/Director approximately though this position/level may be very different in different orgs)

For Merage the salary alone is $96K and salary+bonus is $102, indicating that Merage has a 5-7% bonus, indicative of a lower-grade positions that tend to carry smaller bonuses or a different type of work that has less performance-based incentives.

Gotcha. That makes sense.

What is your opinion on Tepper vs USC? USC recently increased in rank, but their rank seems to be very volatile and the program has some issues with recruiting and curriculum it seems.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:

Also do you have any insight on Ohio states Fisher MBA program? I just got admitted there as well and thought I would throw that in the mix.

Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
No scholarship?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
No scholarship?

They said they would get back to me about that soon.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
No scholarship?

I got 50% with a small stipend each month