GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 05:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The court concluded that not only in treating adultery as an offence

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
The court concluded that not only in treating adultery as an offence  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2018, 01:15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

21% (01:33) correct 79% (01:30) wrong based on 288 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The court concluded that not only in treating adultery as an offence tantamount to the state entering the private realm, but also Section 497 erred in treating women as chattel.

A) The court concluded that not only in treating adultery as an offence tantamount to the state entering the private realm, but also Section 497 erred in treating women as chattel.

B) The court concluded that not only in treating adultery as an offence tantamount to the state entering the private realm, Section 497 further erred in treating women as chattel.

C) The court concluded that not only is treating adultery as an offence tantamount to the state entering the private realm, but also Section 497 further erred is treating women as chattel.

D) The court concluded that not only is treating adultery as an offence tantamount to the state entering the private realm, but also Section 497 in treating women as chattel.

E) The court concluded that not only is treating adultery as an offence tantamount to the state entering the private realm, Section 497 further erred in treating women as chattel.

It seems Kudos button not working correctly with all my posts...

Please check if it is working with this post......

is it?....

Anyways...Thanks for trying :cool:

Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
The court concluded that not only in treating adultery as an offence  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 19:58
A) The court concluded that not only in treating adultery as an offence tantamount to the state entering the private realm, but also Section 497 erred in treating women as chattel.

B) The court concluded that not only in treating adultery as an offence tantamount to the state entering the private realm, Section 497 further erred in treating women as chattel.

C) The court concluded that not only is treating adultery as an offence tantamount to the state entering the private realm, but also Section 497 further erred is treating women as chattel.

D) The court concluded that not only is treating adultery as an offence tantamount to the state entering the private realm, but also Section 497 in treating women as chattel.

E) The court concluded that not only is treating adultery as an offence tantamount to the state entering the private realm, Section 497 further erred in treating women as chattel.

NOTE -
  • "in treating adultery" is wrong idiom.
  • The correct way to say this would be "something IS treated as an offence" or "the court IS treating this as a murder" or "The court IS treating adultery as an offence".

A,B & D is clearly wrong, now between C & E -
  • In C, "not only is X but also noun is Y" breaks parallelism.
  • In E, the first part of the sentence correctly modifies "Section 497" and no parallelism issues.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re: The court concluded that not only in treating adultery as an offence  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2018, 03:59
I may be wrong but this is my take:

I found the options really awkward. Parallelism between not only.. but also is not being maintained in the options that uses both. Also I think in order to form a correct sentence we might need to shuffle a few things around in the sentence.

I would wait for someone else to provide his/ her opinion on this question.
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: ISB '20, IIMA
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.98
Re: The court concluded that not only in treating adultery as an offence  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2018, 05:26
Imo B

Only B logically sounds correct.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Sailing through rough waters. Stars & few kudos will steer me past.

VP
VP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2018, 10:42
Harshgmat wrote:
The court concluded that not only in treating adultery as an offence tantamount to the state entering the private realm, but also Section 497 erred in treating women as chattel.

IMO A is the correct option.

A and B are very close.

Subject is "Section 497" and the verb is "erred". So we have,

The court concluded that Section 497 erred not only in treating adultery as an offence tantamount to the state entering the private realm, but also in treating women as chattel.

A.

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2018, 06:48
I am confused with the improper usage of idiom not only....but also so kindly correct me where I am going wrong. according to me, the answer should be B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2018, 06:51
I am a little scared by the low hit rate of only 14% on this question.

Could one of the experts maybe give this one a shot? :)

Regards,
Chris

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2018, 07:31
My approach:
Firstly comma subject rule so after comma SUBJECT should come i.e. ,Section 497 is required here.
So we can eliminate ACD
Secondly, BETWEEN B & E..... split is between "IS" and "IN" I found "IN" better so chose B option

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2018, 09:20
I think, I may know the why E is the correct answer,
comma+conjunction should be followed by a complete Independent clause. So none of them follow the rule.
However Only E does comma +IC which is correct.
The court concluded that not only is treating adultery as an offence tantamount to the state entering the private realm, Section 497 further erred in treating women as chattel.

Another correct form could have been:

The court concluded that not only is treating adultery as an offence tantamount to the state entering the private realm, but Section 497 also further erred in treating women as chattel.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Booth '21
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 21:35
My answer was D, which apparently is incorrect!

My approach was: Error identified- "In treating adultery"

Maintain comparison through the the idiom "not only..but also"

Also, in treating women is correct grammar.

i am quite confused why the correct answer will be E. What have i missed?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Oct 2018, 22:38
nupur1980 wrote:
My answer was D, which apparently is incorrect!

My approach was: Error identified- "In treating adultery"

Maintain comparison through the the idiom "not only..but also"

Also, in treating women is correct grammar.

i am quite confused why the correct answer will be E. What have i missed?

Hi nupur1980,

You are right, the idiom is correct "not only...but also.." but we need to make sure that its use is parallel.

• In this case we have "not only is X but also noun is Y".
  • The correct way to use this idiom would be "noun not only is X but also is Y.
  • If we wish to use this idiom correctly, we would have to change the tenses of the verbs - and write it as "The court concluded that Section 497 not only X but also Y".
  • But that option doesn't exist hence we need to look for the next best option.

Comparing D & E -
  • In D, again what you said is right "in treating women as chattel" is correct, but read the second part clearly - "...but also Section 497 in treating women as chattel". That sounds incomplete and is incomplete. Its missing a verb - "Section 497 something in treating women as chattel".
  • "Section 497 is wrong in treating women as chattel." The verb is "erred" in this case and the word "further" tells us that this particular part of the sentence has extra information on Section 497 and there must have been more info given earlier about Section 497.
  • Hence E is correct as the structure is "Information, Section 497 further information" - inspecting more closely we have "The court concluded that not only is treating X, Section 497 further erred in Y

Originally posted by bandook on 03 Oct 2018, 22:24.
Last edited by bandook on 03 Oct 2018, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Booth '21
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 22:37
Thanks bandook for explaining. All is crystal clear now!!
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 07:29
bandook wrote:

NOTE -
  • "in treating adultery" is wrong idiom.
  • The correct way to say this would be "something IS treated as an offence" or "the court IS treating this as a murder" or "The court IS treating adultery as an offence".

A,B & D is clearly wrong, now between C & E -
  • In C, "not only is X but also noun is Y" breaks parallelism.
  • In E, the first part of the sentence correctly modifies "Section 497" and no parallelism issues.

why is it so that we follow certain rules in few questions and we can neglect those in other. not only.... but also idiom is always followed but the option E clearly neglects that.
I am confused now :? :? :( :(
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 08:20
kanthaliya

I know what you mean. It is confusing. The way to think about it is - that option is not given, now choose the next best one that doesn't have errors.

Another thing to keep in mind - test makers purposely do this to trap you. Its not just about the correct idioms or whether a certain rule is "neglected" (not provided as an option with no errors, rather provided with other errors), it is about attention to detail. They will exploit this.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 23:14
GMATNinja can you please provide your insight why E over B in this question? Doesn't B convey the correct meaning and retain parallelism?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 07:12
Just a friendly reminder to please please include the source whenever you post questions in the verbal forum!

This one doesn't look like an official question to me, so unless somebody can verify the source, I would advise everybody not to spend too much of your time and energy on this one.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The court concluded that not only in treating adultery as an offence &nbs [#permalink] 05 Oct 2018, 07:12

The court concluded that not only in treating adultery as an offence

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap