It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 00:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be the world’s

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 604 [2], given: 0

The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be the world’s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2008, 07:51
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (00:56) correct 34% (01:01) wrong based on 405 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, and it weighs less than 11 ounces.

(A) to be the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, and it weighs
(B) to be the smallest network digital camcorder in the world, which is as long as a handheld computer, weighing
(C) is the smallest network digital camcorder in the world, which is as long as a handheld computer, and it weighs
(D) is the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, which is as long as a handheld computer and weighs
(E) is the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, weighing
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

Last edited by hazelnut on 26 Aug 2017, 00:59, edited 3 times in total.
Added OA ; Corrected the Q.

Kudos [?]: 604 [2], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 339 [1], given: 0

Re: The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be the world’s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2008, 14:14
This post received
KUDOS
A. to be the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a hand held computer, and it weighs
"It" is referring to computer rather than camcorder so this option is incorrect. Moreover "to be" makes this option passive.

B. to be the smallest network digital camcorder in the world, which is as long as a hand held computer, weighing
This sentence makes "which is as long as a hand held computer" as non essential clause and means that camcorder is weighing only 11 ounce. But logically speaking Camcorder length and weight both as its attribute. Moreover "to be" makes this option passive. Moreover "Which" is referring to "world".

C. is the smallest network digital camcorder in the world, which is as long as a hand held computer, and it weighs
"It" is referring to computer rather than camcorder and "Which" is referring to "world", so this option is incorrect.

D. is the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, which is as long as a hand held computer and weighs.
"Which" is clearly referring to "camcorder".

E. is the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a hand held computer, weighing
"the length of which is that of a hand held computer" is an awkward construction. "which is as long as a hand held computer" is much better.

Kudos [?]: 339 [1], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

Re: The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be the world’s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2008, 16:01
claims and 'to be' go well together.
I dont see anything wrong (gramatically) with A or D.

I would go with A (original) in that case.

A. The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, and it weighs less than 11 ounces.

D. The electronics company has unveiled what it is the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, which is as long as a handheld computer and weighs less than 11 ounces.

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 834 [2], given: 10

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2008, 08:50
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Here "claims to be" is a trap.
Most of us will blindly eliminate C,D,E for incorrect idiom usage.

In A , "it" does not have a clear referrant.

On the "Manhattan" Sc forum I found this explanation

They are claiming that it IS something - not that it "to be" something - so, no, we wouldn't use "to be" here. We'd say "the company has unveiled what it claims is the world's smallest..."

I could say, though, "she claims to be a violinist, but I've heard her play and she's terrible." So there are circumstances in which you could use "claim to be" - but this isn't one of them.

And, yes, answer is D.

Kudos [?]: 834 [2], given: 10

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 232 [0], given: 8

Schools: Oxford'10

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2008, 04:24
mbawaters wrote:
claims and 'to be' go well together.
I dont see anything wrong (gramatically) with A or D.

I would go with A (original) in that case.

A. The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, and it weighs less than 11 ounces.

D. The electronics company has unveiled what it is the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, which is as long as a handheld computer and weighs less than 11 ounces.

Hi mbawater,

A is incorrect because if u cut out the modifying phrase, the sentence reads "The electronics company has unveilded what it claims to be the world's smallest network digital camcorder and it weighs less than 11 ounces."

In this sentence, "it" doesn't have a clear referrent, since it could refer to either company or the digital camcorder, which makes A incorrect.

D and E are both gramatically correct, but D is clear and concise

Kudos [?]: 232 [0], given: 8

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2008, 05:12
claims "to be" is the correct usage as per grammar rules. But since, without the modifying phrase, the sentence seems incorrect, I had to rule out A.

@goalsnr: What is the source of the question? I do not think actual GMAT will go against its own rules.

JackOfAllTrades
http://pulyanithinks.blogspot.com

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1062 [1], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2008, 18:53
This post received
KUDOS
goalsnr wrote:
The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, and it weighs less than 11 ounces.
A. to be the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, and it weighs
B. to be the smallest network digital camcorder in the world, which is as long as a handheld computer, weighing
C. is the smallest network digital camcorder in the world, which is as long as a handheld computer, and it weighs
D. is the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, which is as long as a handheld computer and weighs
E. is the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, weighing

I dont seem to agree with the OA on this one as well. Iknow why the OA is wrong. Lets discuss and later I'll share my thoughts.

B,C-- out becuase which modifies the world instead of camcorder.
E -- it talks about weighing handled computer not digital camcorder
A -- its not clear whether it repsents handled computer or digital camcorder

I will chose D.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Kudos [?]: 1062 [1], given: 5

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 834 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2008, 07:25
Ok...everybody gets a cookie

The OA is D

Kudos [?]: 834 [0], given: 10

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2008, 19:56
The answer should be D ............A is wrong as it has it .......
E has awkard construction ........

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2008, 06:35
goalsnr wrote:
A. to be the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, and it weighs
B. to be the smallest network digital camcorder in the world, which is as long as a handheld computer, weighing
C. is the smallest network digital camcorder in the world, which is as long as a handheld computer, and it weighs
D. is the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, which is as long as a handheld computer and weighs
E. is the world’s smallest network digital camcorder, the length of which is that of a handheld computer, weighing

I dont seem to agree with the OA on this one as well. Iknow why the OA is wrong. Lets discuss and later I'll share my thoughts.

D for me as well.

I honestly looked at the ending part of each option to narrow down my choice. In the end, only D has consistency.

A. "the length of which.... , and it weighs" is wrong. Should be "the length of which...., and the weight of which...."
B. "which is as long as...., weighing..." nope, not it.
C. "which is as long as...., and it weighs..." again, not consistent. The "it" throws it off
D. "which is as long as....and weighs...." that's consistent.
E. "the length of which is ..., weighing..." again, not consistent.

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2008, 17:49
goalsnr wrote:

A

claims to be is an idiom so C,D, and E are out.

WHICH in B illogically modifies WORLD rather than CAMCORDER

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

3 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1008 [3], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2008, 03:39
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Please explain your answer!
Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 1008 [3], given: 1

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1008 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2008, 05:38
OA is D. However, what's wrong with "weighing" in option E?

Kudos [?]: 1008 [0], given: 1

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2008, 05:47
tarek99 wrote:
OA is D. However, what's wrong with "weighing" in option E?

I think it makes the sentence sound like, "handheld computer, weighing...."
Rather than the camcorder weighing

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2008, 07:34
Ahh.. I would have selected A if I saw this in the exam..

thought claims to be is the correct idiom...

didnt realise that "it" is ambiguous in A..thanks x2suresh..

Tricky question +1 to u...

D is the correct answer now by POE

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 834 [1], given: 10

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2008, 21:07
This post received
KUDOS
tarek99 wrote:

Please explain your answer!
Thanks!

D.

A - it has no clear refernt
B,C-which incorrectly modifies world
E-the length of which is that of a handheld computer -wordy

Kudos [?]: 834 [1], given: 10

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 80 [2], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2008, 23:52
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

I got the answer in about 30 seconds. D.

So, scan the ends, and go through the choices shortest to longest.

Start with D:

the which properly refers to camcorder, and if you ellipse which with is and weighs, it is correct. D has no grammatical flaws, and is short and concise, let's hold onto it.

E: correct-- but 'length of which' is a bit wordy. D does the same thing but is shorter and more concise.

WRONG-- which refers to WORLD. Completely wrong.

WRONG-- same thing, WHICH refers to WORLD.

It works, but D is more concise.

Hence the answer is D.

Kudos [?]: 80 [2], given: 0

Director
Director

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2008, 01:05
Great method Startup addict..

Have been trying to PM you but it isnt possible, as youve blocked PM's..

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2008, 02:49
Wrong - Use of 'to be'. Seems to say that the weight of the handeld computer is less than 11 ounces.
Wrong - Use of 'to be'. Seems to say that the world is as long as a handeld computer. Use of 'ing' in weighing is a BIG no no.
Wrong - Seems to say that the world is as long as a handeld computer.
Correct - camcorder, which is X and Y
Wrong - Use of 'ing' in weighing is a BIG no no.

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2008, 04:51
the answer is D....length is correctly compared with that of a handheld.

Re: The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be the world’s   [#permalink] 03 Jul 2008, 04:51

Go to page    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 89 posts ] 

The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be the world’s

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap