Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:41 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30797 [1]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: The English physician Edward Jenner found that if experimental subject [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
EducationAisle
Can you throw some light on options B and D.
Why is ,causing wrong here?
Not able to understand the solutions above.

Thanks

Hello krndatta,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can resolve your doubt.

The use of "causing" slightly alters the meaning of the sentence, due to the use of the "comma + present participle ("verb+ing" - "causing" in this case)" construction; please remember, the introduction of the present participle ("verb+ing"- “causing” in this case) after comma generally leads to a cause-effect relationship.

The intended core meaning is that if experimental subjects were deliberately infected with cowpox, they would become immune to smallpox, and as extra information, it is also mentioned that cowpox causes only a mild illness.

The use of the "comma + present participle", however, implies that if experimental subjects were deliberately infected with cowpox, and doing so caused only a mild illness, they would become immune to smallpox.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Send PM
Re: The English physician Edward Jenner found that if experimental subject [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
waytowharton wrote:
KarishmaB MartyTargetTestPrep and other experts

In option D, Can't we consider, "causing only a mild illness" in between 2 commas and as a non-essential modifier modifying cowpox? In such a case the error that it modifies preceding clause will not hold true. What is the flaw in my undertstanding?

Hello waytowharton,

To answer your query, in Option D, the phrase "causing only a mild illness" follows the "Comma + Present Participle ("verb+ing" - "causing" in this sentence)" construction, so it modifies not the preceding noun, but the entire preceding clause, typically conveying a cause-effect meaning.

Thus, even if we take it as extra information, this phrase changes the sentence's intended meaning.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
PranayJha wrote:
Hi,

I rejected the choice E because it uses "which caused" which I thought is incorrect because Cowpox causes mild illness should be the correct as it is stating a fact and general information here, hence, shouldn't it be using present tense to state facts or general information which is always true. In that sense, how is the use of past tense correct here? Also, if the use of past tense is correct, then in what all scenarios is the use of past tense is correct for facts or general information?

Thanks

The sentence is talking about some research or experimentation that happened in the past -- and the cowpox mentioned in the sentence is the specific cowpox that was injected in subjects during that experimentation in the past. And when did that specific cowpox cause mild illness in those subjects? In the past. So the past tense ("caused") is completely reasonable here.

Unfortunately there aren't any clear-cut "rules" for this sort of thing. You just have to do your best to think about meaning and decide whether the meaning is logical -- if you aren't sure, look for other decision points.

For more on verb tenses, check out this old video or this newer one.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
In C and D, is "causing" a problem? Since the subject of the main sentence should be responsible for "comma+ing", "subjects were.., causing..." implies that instead of "cowpox", "subjects" should be responsible for the action of "causing", and thus the intended meaning is altered.

Could someone please help explain?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Given Kudos: 359
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Dear experts,

In option E and also as per OA, cowpox causes mild illness. But isn't mild illness the result of getting infected by cowpox?
Can someone please explain?

Regards,
Arup

Posted from my mobile device
Quote:
The English physician Edward Jenner found that if experimental subjects were deliberately infected with cowpox, which caused only a mild illness, they are immune from smallpox.

(A) which caused only a mild illness, they are immune from
(B) causing only a mild illness, they become immune from
(C) which causes only a mild illness, they are immune to
(D) causing only a mild illness, they became immune from
(E) which caused only a mild illness, they would become immune to

Request Expert Reply:
Hello Experts,
MartyTargetTestPrep, GMATNinja, GMATGuruNY, AjiteshArun, AndrewN
How do we know that 'the mild illness' has been occurred in the past (caused)? I mean: Why not it is 'causes'?
Thanks in Advance..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
Send PM
Respected moderators
I have a different doubt in this , According to OG explanation an issue with using 'ing' modifier in option B and D has been pointed out . To quote
"The participle causing suggests that infecting subjects with cowpox caused a mild illness only in some of the cases - but this is not intended"

I am not able to understand the issue with using -ing modifier as it is a case where a participial modifier comes in the middle of sentence separated by commas, it should modify the noun ahead of it and it does so just fine

Looking forward to your help

PS - i have understood the other decision point and solved the problem correctly. It is just this point in OG ans key that is hurting me[/quote]

Dear Experts,

I am facing the same issue. Can you please clear the concern?

Thanks in advance.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V36
Send PM
So we can use if and would together in a conditional statement?
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V36
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
linuschoudhury wrote:
So we can use if and would together in a conditional statement?

Oh yes, in fact, very regularly.

Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Conditional statements, their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

I have a hardcopy of your book, can you please tell me the page numbers?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
linuschoudhury wrote:
I have a hardcopy of your book, can you please tell me the page numbers?

Thanks for trusting our book, for your GMAT Prep.

Conditional Constructs are covered in Chapter 7 (Tense and Subjunctive) in the sub-section titled "Conditional Constructs".
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
ShantanuKejriwal wrote:
GMATNinja

Why is which caused correct in option E- Shouldnt it be, causes. My thought process is: It is a fact, and for facts simple present is used. Thanks

Interesting question!

I'd say either tense is fine. You could write that cowpox causes a mild illness, in general. And you could also write that when certain people were infected with cowpox, the infection caused a mild illness, since the infections occurred in the past.

The upshot: if either construction could be justified, move on the other decision points! Fortunately, there are four nice concrete errors in this one, so there's no reason to agonize over the present vs. past tense decision.

I hope that clears things up!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 4
Send PM
adkikani wrote:
Easy one.

If (simple past) , then (either simple past if event is fact / habit)
OR
If (simple past) , then (would +verb) in case of uncertainty.

Also causing in incorrectly used verb-ing modifier.
We need relative pronoun which to refer to
noun cowpox.

if experimental subjects were deliberately infected with cowpox... here the verb is not in simple past tense. So how can we deduce to use If..Then here?
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
AbhiR3 wrote:
adkikani wrote:
Easy one.

If (simple past) , then (either simple past if event is fact / habit)
OR
If (simple past) , then (would +verb) in case of uncertainty.

Also causing in incorrectly used verb-ing modifier.
We need relative pronoun which to refer to
noun cowpox.

if experimental subjects were deliberately infected with cowpox... here the verb is not in simple past tense. So how can we deduce to use If..Then here?

Hello AbhiR3,

To resolve your query, we would like to point out that "were...infected" is indeed a simple past tense verb.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
EducationAisle
Can you throw some light on options B and D.
Why is ,causing wrong here?
Not able to understand the solutions above.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 409
Send PM
KarishmaB MartyTargetTestPrep and other experts

In option D, Can't we consider, "causing only a mild illness" in between 2 commas and as a non-essential modifier modifying cowpox? In such a case the error that it modifies preceding clause will not hold true. What is the flaw in my undertstanding?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,

I rejected the choice E because it uses "which caused" which I thought is incorrect because Cowpox causes mild illness should be the correct as it is stating a fact and general information here, hence, shouldn't it be using present tense to state facts or general information which is always true. In that sense, how is the use of past tense correct here? Also, if the use of past tense is correct, then in what all scenarios is the use of past tense is correct for facts or general information?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
The English physician Edward Jenner found that if experimental subjects were deliberately infected with cowpox, which caused only a mild illness, they are immune from smallpox.

(A) which caused only a mild illness, they are immune from
(B) causing only a mild illness, they become immune from
(C) which causes only a mild illness, they are immune to
(D) causing only a mild illness, they became immune from
(E) which caused only a mild illness, they would become immune to

If are, then will
if were, then would. Select E
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts