It is currently 17 Jan 2018, 22:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Environment Protection Agency (EPA) is rigorously working on

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: Greatness begins beyond your comfort zone
Joined: 08 Dec 2013
Posts: 1890

Kudos [?]: 1128 [1], given: 93

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
The Environment Protection Agency (EPA) is rigorously working on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2017, 06:46
1
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (01:26) correct 33% (01:43) wrong based on 127 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Environment Protection Agency (EPA) is rigorously working on eradicating the Hemlock Woolly Adelgid (HWA) fungi that has damaged hemlock trees on the east coast of the country. In addition to other steps to eradicate the fungi, the EPA has conducted awareness sessions for hemlock growers on the extent of damage that HWA can cause and given the growers detailed instructions on how to identify and destroy the fungi.

Which of the following, if true, would provide the most support for the prediction that the EPA’s action will have its intended effect?

A. Some fungal infestations on pine trees closely resemble the HWA fungi.
B. Reports have shown that the HWA also affects another plant species known as the bleeding hearts, a species that is commercially cultivated by hemlock growers in the same area as hemlocks.
C. The eradication of HWA is likely to cause a serious imbalance in the ecosystem of the east coast area.
D. Hemlock trees have also been considerably damaged by the fungus E. Coli, which is native to the east coast area and attacks trees through their roots.
E. Some sub-species of hemlock trees can resist fungal infestations without human intervention.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 1128 [1], given: 93

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Sep 2017
Posts: 52

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 128

Re: The Environment Protection Agency (EPA) is rigorously working on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2017, 07:06
Quote:
The Environment Protection Agency (EPA) is rigorously working on eradicating the Hemlock Woolly Adelgid (HWA) fungi that has damaged hemlock trees on the east coast of the country. In addition to other steps to eradicate the fungi, the EPA has conducted awareness sessions for hemlock growers on the extent of damage that HWA can cause and given the growers detailed instructions on how to identify and destroy the fungi.

Which of the following, if true, would provide the most support for the prediction that the EPA’s action will have its intended effect?

A. Some fungal infestations on pine trees closely resemble the HWA fungi.
B. Reports have shown that the HWA also affects another plant species known as the bleeding hearts, a species that is commercially cultivated by hemlock growers in the same area as hemlocks.
C. The eradication of HWA is likely to cause a serious imbalance in the ecosystem of the east coast area.
D. Hemlock trees have also been considerably damaged by the fungus E. Coli, which is native to the east coast area and attacks trees through their roots.
E. Some sub-species of hemlock trees can resist fungal infestations without human intervention.


Conclusion: EPA's action will help to eradicate fungi that has damaged hemlock trees

E. Some sub-species of hemlock trees can resist fungale infestations w/out human intervention => Now, with the human intervention (in order to eradicate fungi on hemlock trees) => the intention to eradicate fungi is even much more achievable.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 128

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 09 Mar 2017
Posts: 310

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 504

Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: The Environment Protection Agency (EPA) is rigorously working on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2017, 07:33
Good one.+1.
Imo B. If hwa is also infesting a commercially cultivated species by hemlock growers in the same area as hemlocks, the growers are more likely to identify the fungi with the help of awareness session and will more likely to act to kill them due to the greater damage caused by them to the commercially cultivated specie.
Awaiting OA
_________________

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 504

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Sep 2017
Posts: 52

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 128

Re: The Environment Protection Agency (EPA) is rigorously working on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2017, 07:48
TaN1213 wrote:
Good one.+1.
Imo B. If hwa is also infesting a commercially cultivated species by hemlock growers in the same area as hemlocks, the growers are more likely to identify the fungi with the help of awareness session and will more likely to act to kill them due to the greater damage caused by them to the commercially cultivated specie.
Awaiting OA


I kinda get confused between B and E :(

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 128

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 09 Mar 2017
Posts: 310

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 504

Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: The Environment Protection Agency (EPA) is rigorously working on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2017, 07:55
lichting wrote:
TaN1213 wrote:
Good one.+1.
Imo B. If hwa is also infesting a commercially cultivated species by hemlock growers in the same area as hemlocks, the growers are more likely to identify the fungi with the help of awareness session and will more likely to act to kill them due to the greater damage caused by them to the commercially cultivated specie.
Awaiting OA


I kinda get confused between B and E :(

The reason I eliminated E is that E talks about the species that have intrinsic property of resisting hwa. This means these species were not affected by hwa at the first place. The EPA is worried about protecting the species that are affected by hwa, and thus EPA has taken action to call human intervention (by growers).
This is again just my opinion. Let's see what the OA is.
_________________

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 504

Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 28 Mar 2017
Posts: 816

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 143

CAT Tests
Re: The Environment Protection Agency (EPA) is rigorously working on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2017, 10:17
Skywalker18 wrote:
The Environment Protection Agency (EPA) is rigorously working on eradicating the Hemlock Woolly Adelgid (HWA) fungi that has damaged hemlock trees on the east coast of the country. In addition to other steps to eradicate the fungi, the EPA has conducted awareness sessions for hemlock growers on the extent of damage that HWA can cause and given the growers detailed instructions on how to identify and destroy the fungi.

Which of the following, if true, would provide the most support for the prediction that the EPA’s action will have its intended effect?

A. Some fungal infestations on pine trees closely resemble the HWA fungi.
B. Reports have shown that the HWA also affects another plant species known as the bleeding hearts, a species that is commercially cultivated by hemlock growers in the same area as hemlocks.
C. The eradication of HWA is likely to cause a serious imbalance in the ecosystem of the east coast area.
D. Hemlock trees have also been considerably damaged by the fungus E. Coli, which is native to the east coast area and attacks trees through their roots.
E. Some sub-species of hemlock trees can resist fungal infestations without human intervention.


Hello broall,

Could you please throw some light on this one. None of the option seems to be correct.
Also, How likely are we to see such a question on real exam?

Regards
_________________

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 143

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 23 Jun 2012
Posts: 329

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 274

Location: Pakistan
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The Environment Protection Agency (EPA) is rigorously working on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2017, 10:26
what will bring growers if they learn how to protect hemlock trees? because the same fungi infected their commercially grown plant n obviously they dont want to see their revenue going down as hemlock will attack commercial species that they grow to sale in market. so growers will listen instructions n will destroy fungi

gmatexam439 wrote:
Skywalker18 wrote:
The Environment Protection Agency (EPA) is rigorously working on eradicating the Hemlock Woolly Adelgid (HWA) fungi that has damaged hemlock trees on the east coast of the country. In addition to other steps to eradicate the fungi, the EPA has conducted awareness sessions for hemlock growers on the extent of damage that HWA can cause and given the growers detailed instructions on how to identify and destroy the fungi.

Which of the following, if true, would provide the most support for the prediction that the EPA’s action will have its intended effect?

A. Some fungal infestations on pine trees closely resemble the HWA fungi.
B. Reports have shown that the HWA also affects another plant species known as the bleeding hearts, a species that is commercially cultivated by hemlock growers in the same area as hemlocks.
C. The eradication of HWA is likely to cause a serious imbalance in the ecosystem of the east coast area.
D. Hemlock trees have also been considerably damaged by the fungus E. Coli, which is native to the east coast area and attacks trees through their roots.
E. Some sub-species of hemlock trees can resist fungal infestations without human intervention.


Hello broall,

Could you please throw some light on this one. None of the option seems to be correct.
Also, How likely are we to see such a question on real exam?

Regards

_________________

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 274

Senior CR Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: Long way to go!
Joined: 10 Oct 2016
Posts: 1317

Kudos [?]: 1183 [0], given: 62

Location: Viet Nam
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The Environment Protection Agency (EPA) is rigorously working on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2017, 17:23
gmatexam439 wrote:
Skywalker18 wrote:
The Environment Protection Agency (EPA) is rigorously working on eradicating the Hemlock Woolly Adelgid (HWA) fungi that has damaged hemlock trees on the east coast of the country. In addition to other steps to eradicate the fungi, the EPA has conducted awareness sessions for hemlock growers on the extent of damage that HWA can cause and given the growers detailed instructions on how to identify and destroy the fungi.

Which of the following, if true, would provide the most support for the prediction that the EPA’s action will have its intended effect?

A. Some fungal infestations on pine trees closely resemble the HWA fungi.
B. Reports have shown that the HWA also affects another plant species known as the bleeding hearts, a species that is commercially cultivated by hemlock growers in the same area as hemlocks.
C. The eradication of HWA is likely to cause a serious imbalance in the ecosystem of the east coast area.
D. Hemlock trees have also been considerably damaged by the fungus E. Coli, which is native to the east coast area and attacks trees through their roots.
E. Some sub-species of hemlock trees can resist fungal infestations without human intervention.


Hello broall,

Could you please throw some light on this one. None of the option seems to be correct.
Also, How likely are we to see such a question on real exam?

Regards


I see no problem with this question. I think that this question tries to copy the logic from OG question (I dont remember that question).
_________________

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Kudos [?]: 1183 [0], given: 62

Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 28 Mar 2017
Posts: 816

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 143

CAT Tests
Re: The Environment Protection Agency (EPA) is rigorously working on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2017, 01:28
broall wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
Skywalker18 wrote:
The Environment Protection Agency (EPA) is rigorously working on eradicating the Hemlock Woolly Adelgid (HWA) fungi that has damaged hemlock trees on the east coast of the country. In addition to other steps to eradicate the fungi, the EPA has conducted awareness sessions for hemlock growers on the extent of damage that HWA can cause and given the growers detailed instructions on how to identify and destroy the fungi.

Which of the following, if true, would provide the most support for the prediction that the EPA’s action will have its intended effect?

A. Some fungal infestations on pine trees closely resemble the HWA fungi.
B. Reports have shown that the HWA also affects another plant species known as the bleeding hearts, a species that is commercially cultivated by hemlock growers in the same area as hemlocks.
C. The eradication of HWA is likely to cause a serious imbalance in the ecosystem of the east coast area.
D. Hemlock trees have also been considerably damaged by the fungus E. Coli, which is native to the east coast area and attacks trees through their roots.
E. Some sub-species of hemlock trees can resist fungal infestations without human intervention.


Hello broall,

Could you please throw some light on this one. None of the option seems to be correct.
Also, How likely are we to see such a question on real exam?

Regards


I see no problem with this question. I think that this question tries to copy the logic from OG question (I dont remember that question).


Hello broall,
The argument is that the steps will have their desired outcome. But, none of the choice here talks about the IMPLEMENTATION of the plan. Just stating that hamlock growers also grow bleeding hearts that is also effected by the virus doesn't mean that the plan will be a success.

Could you please point out OG question that you are talking about. It would be of great help.

Thank you for the quick reply as always. :)
Regards
_________________

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 143

Senior CR Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: Long way to go!
Joined: 10 Oct 2016
Posts: 1317

Kudos [?]: 1183 [0], given: 62

Location: Viet Nam
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The Environment Protection Agency (EPA) is rigorously working on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2017, 02:32
gmatexam439 wrote:
Hello broall,
The argument is that the steps will have their desired outcome. But, none of the choice here talks about the IMPLEMENTATION of the plan. Just stating that hamlock growers also grow bleeding hearts that is also effected by the virus doesn't mean that the plan will be a success.

Could you please point out OG question that you are talking about. It would be of great help.

Thank you for the quick reply as always. :)
Regards


The correct answer does attack indirectly the argument by pointing out a reason that hemlock growers would appreciate and support destroying HWA: HWA effects the benefit of them.

There is an OG question like this one: An non-native species that eats other native species in a lake, so scientists try to keep track of this non-native species. Because this species also eats a fish species that is beneficial to the local people, local people will help scientists to keep track of that non-native species.

My bad memory, I can't remember exactly what that OG question is!
_________________

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Kudos [?]: 1183 [0], given: 62

Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 28 Mar 2017
Posts: 816

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 143

CAT Tests
Re: The Environment Protection Agency (EPA) is rigorously working on [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2017, 06:24
broall wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
Hello broall,
The argument is that the steps will have their desired outcome. But, none of the choice here talks about the IMPLEMENTATION of the plan. Just stating that hamlock growers also grow bleeding hearts that is also effected by the virus doesn't mean that the plan will be a success.

Could you please point out OG question that you are talking about. It would be of great help.

Thank you for the quick reply as always. :)
Regards


The correct answer does attack indirectly the argument by pointing out a reason that hemlock growers would appreciate and support destroying HWA: HWA effects the benefit of them.

There is an OG question like this one: An non-native species that eats other native species in a lake, so scientists try to keep track of this non-native species. Because this species also eats a fish species that is beneficial to the local people, local people will help scientists to keep track of that non-native species.

My bad memory, I can't remember exactly what that OG question is!


Thank you broall for the quick reply.

I hadn't seen such an argument till now, so was taken a back. I guess I will just have to move on.

Regards
_________________

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 143

Re: The Environment Protection Agency (EPA) is rigorously working on   [#permalink] 14 Dec 2017, 06:24
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The Environment Protection Agency (EPA) is rigorously working on

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.