Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3793 [254]
Given Kudos: 412
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [73]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 912 [56]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: LBS '14 (A$)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3793 [11]
Given Kudos: 412
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: The Federal Reserve announcement said that growth had accelerated afte [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The Federal Reserve announcement said that growth had accelerated after slowing in the
second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation,
even though there are few
signs of higher energy prices driving up the cost of other goods so

The answer choice is A, But im not clear with 2 things.

1) Usage of Had..
as per my understanding the growth accelerated after the after slowing. (meaning that growth is not the first action)

2) Parallelism: Are had accelerated & remain concerned parallel.
i mean shouldn't they be had accelerated & remained concerned
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [14]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: The Federal Reserve announcement said that growth had accelerated afte [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
RaviChandra wrote:
The Federal Reserve announcement said that growth had accelerated after slowing in the
second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation,
even though there are few
signs of higher energy prices driving up the cost of other goods so

The answer choice is A, But im not clear with 2 things.

1) Usage of Had..
as per my understanding the growth accelerated after the after slowing. (meaning that growth is not the first action)

2) Parallelism: Are had accelerated & remain concerned parallel.
i mean shouldn't they be had accelerated & remained concerned

Here's my reasoning:
1) The accelerated already occurred before the Federal Reserve announcement, so that's why you use "had accelerated." I'm not sure you compare the time frame to the slowing.

2) Policy makers continue to be concerned (it's present tense because they are still concerned) so you can't have "had remained"
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [12]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
"That" is required ==> only A, C, E remain.
Because the Fed said that <== past tense. Thus, the past perfect tense - "had accelerated" - is correct

The Federal Reserve announcement said that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few signs of higher energy prices driving up the cost of other goods so far.

that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few
Correct.

• growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few
Wrong. Parallelism problem.

• that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are little
Wrong. Parallelism problem.

• growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are little
Wrong. Need "that".

• that growth accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few
Wrong. Tense problem.

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Status:Birds fly because they have wings, not because they have sky.
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [10]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.65
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
A. that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few

B. growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few
->Missing that in the beginning which is required to maintain parallalism with second that(highlighted)

C. that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are little
->I would not consider "signs" as uncountable noun and hence would reject "little"

D. growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are little
->I would not consider "signs" as uncountable noun and hence would reject "little"

E. that growth accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few
->"had" is required as "said" indicates one instance in past and any situation before that should be referred with a "had"
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31932 [6]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
souvik101990 wrote:
The Federal Reserve announcement said that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few signs of higher energy prices driving up the cost of other goods so far.

A. that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few

B. growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few

C. that growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are little

D. growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are little

E. that growth accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation, even though there are few

ans A..
that is required with announcement so b and d out..
signs shuold have few and not little, so c also out..
the growth is being talked over two periods so 'had' is required.. e is also out..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
Send PM
My question is:If we change the "little" to "few" in answer choice C,will it be considered correct?
I think that option C will stand as correct then cause either the author or the fed reserve can say that the policy makers remain silent.So we don't need to follow the parallelism X said that...and that ....
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
techiesam wrote:
My question is:If we change the "little" to "few" in answer choice C,will it be considered correct?
I think that option C will stand as correct then cause either the author or the fed reserve can say that the policy makers remain silent.So we don't need to follow the parallelism X said that...and that ....

In that case you would have a comma before "and" - for joining two independent clauses, comma + conjunction is required.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1603 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
RaviChandra wrote:

My concern is option E. Is "accelerated" working as a Verb-ED modifier or it is a VERB here. Most of the times such verbs must be preceded by helping verbs. I am not clear about this rule. If "accelerated" is a modifier then can we consider the sentence as a phrase, and if "accelerated" is a verb then then sentence is a clause. Please see the highlighted portion.

MartyTargetTestPrep, AjiteshArun

Please help. Hope the query is clear.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AkshdeepS wrote:
My concern is option E. Is "accelerated" working as a Verb-ED modifier or it is a VERB here. Most of the times such verbs must be preceded by helping verbs. I am not clear about this rule. If "accelerated" is a modifier then can we consider the sentence as a phrase, and if "accelerated" is a verb then then sentence is a clause. Please see the highlighted portion.

MartyTargetTestPrep, AjiteshArun

Accelerated is a verb in the following construction:

The Federal Reserve announcement said that growth accelerated...

You can actually see two subject-verb pairs here: (a) announcement and said and (b) growth and accelerated. Accelerated is in the simple past tense (active), which is why you don't see any helping verbs.

1. Growth had accelerated...
Past perfect, and therefore there is a helping had here.

2. The process of climate change is accelerated by...
Passive voice, and therefore there is a helping is here.

3. A process accelerated by human activity is known as...
Here accelerated is a modifier.

The sentence you are looking at has multiple subject-verb pairs. If we focus on the portion before the even though, we see this "sentence":

The Federal Reserve announcement said that that growth accelerated after slowing in the second quarter and that the policy makers remain concerned about the prospects of inflation.
The main clause is formed by announcement and said, and then we see two dependent clauses introduced by that, with the following subject-verb pairs: (a) growth + accelerated and (b) makers + remain.

The dependent clauses introduced by that can be replaced by X and Y, so we get
The Federal Reserve announcement said X and Y.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
AkshdeepS wrote:

In (E) "accelerated" is the main verb of the noun clause "that growth accelerated ..."

If "accelerated" were a modifier, then what follows "accelerated" would be a phrase, and the sentence would be quite flawed. That "accelerated" is not a modifier is made clear by the context in which it appears.

In some cases, "accelerated" has to be preceded by a helping verb, such as "had" in order for a sentence to make sense. In other cases, using a construction such as "growth accelerated," which does not include a helping verb, would be better. Which to use depends on the context and the meaning to be conveyed.

In this case, the use of the helping verb "had" is necessary, as, in order for the sentence to clearly indicate the sequence of events, we need the past perfect form of "to accelerate," which is "had accelerated."

To more clearly understand when "had" must be used, you could learn about the past perfect tense.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Still a bit confused about the use of past perfect here. usually when two actions occur in the past we use past perfect to describe the first event. In this case 'growth accelerated after slowing' implying that the first action is the slowing and the second action is the acceleration.

Not sure where I'm wrong
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
sinkingbot wrote:
when two actions occur in the past we use past perfect to describe the first event.

Correct. These two actions are:
(i) The Federal Reserve announcement
(ii) Growth had accelerated after slowing in the second quarter

Since (ii) obviously happened first, it is expressed as past perfect (had accelerated)

Originally posted by EducationAisle on 29 Aug 2019, 07:36.
Last edited by EducationAisle on 29 Aug 2019, 10:08, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Hello

I am new to GMAT and studying SC from Manhattan Prep SC guide. On the page 217 in Chapter 11 (GM/S-V/Parallelism: Extra) the book reads
The main exception to this pattern seems to be the verb say. Somewhat oddly, the GMAT does not
require you to put that after the verb say.
Right: The water was so cold that people SAID polar bears would shiver.
The GMAT does not explain why this omission is acceptable, but the reason is probably that there is
very little chance of confusion:

Unquote

Please help me understand this paradox, Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 112
Send PM
Dear Expert,

I'd like to get some clarifications with this question. Yes, it's about the past perfect tense again.

1. How can we be certain that the action of acceleration happens before the announcement? Couldn't it happen at the same time?

2. If the answer to the above question is that something has to happen before you say it happens, then what about examples of sentences we say all the time, "He knew he was right" "He said he saw the car coming in" etc. Shouldn't they be "He knew he had been right" and "He said he had seen the car coming in" etc.?

3. From a few creditable resources (Manhattan and Magoosh), we've acknowledged that we wouldn't have to use past perfect if that tense is understood from the context. If by using "said" to describe an action, we should immediately know that that action must have happened before saying. That means the past perfect tense is understood. Then wouldn't "had accelerated" be redundant?

4. If reported speech in the past requires past perfect tense for the thing described, then is it the general rule that there's not EVER any question that uses perfect tense in both, and something like "The authority said that the economy slowed down" or "The officials reported that people liked the recent data" would always be wrong?

Thank you!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [4]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos