Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 20 Jul 2019, 02:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The first personal computers had severe hardware and software limitati

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Veritas Prep Representative
S
Re: The first personal computers had severe hardware and software limitati  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2018, 22:25
Top Contributor
The verb "had" on its own is a past-tense synonym for "possessed" (e.g. "Leslie had salmon for dinner last night" or "I had a great time at the party"). It's when "had" is attached to another verb that it indicates the past perfect (like you're example "I had just put the clothes" --> here "had" attaches to "put").

So recognize that "had" can stand alone as a past-tense verb. If you suspect that past-perfect is in play, make sure you identify the other verb that's attached to it.

Curriculum Developer, Instructor, and Host of Veritas Prep On Demand

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GPA: 2.61
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
CAT Tests
Re: The first personal computers had severe hardware and software limitati  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2019, 20:00
The first personal computers had severe hardware and software limitations similar to that of a modern wristwatch and so were unable to perform the complex operations necessary for today's processor-intensive applications.

Split 1 - Incorrect pronoun "that" is used instead of "those"
A) The first personal computers had severe hardware and software limitations similar to that of a modern wristwatch
E) The severe hardware and software limitations of the first personal computers were similar to that of a modern wristwatch

The antecedent of "that" is "software limitations, a plural subject, so we require "those".

Split 2 - Nonsensical meaning
C) The severe hardware and software limitations of the first personal computers were similar to those of a modern wristwatch and so were unable to perform the complex operations necessary for today's processor-intensive applications.
D) The first personal computers' severe hardware and software limitations were similar to those of a modern wristwatch and so were unable to perform the complex operations necessary for today's processor-intensive applications.

(C) and (D) literally state that the "limitations", which is the subject of each sentence, "were unable to perform the complex operations". This is nonsensical. The personal computers were unable to perform the operations because of the limitations.

This leave's (B)
B) The first personal computers had severe hardware and software limitations similar to a modern wristwatch's

+1 Kudos if you like my post pls!
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2019, 22:38
nelz007 wrote:
The first personal computers had severe hardware and software limitations similar to that of a modern wristwatch and so were unable to perform the complex operations necessary for today's processor-intensive applications.

(A) The first personal computers had severe hardware and software limitations similar to that of a modern wristwatch

(B) The first personal computers had severe hardware and software limitations similar to a modern wristwatch's

(C) The severe hardware and software limitations of the first personal computers were similar to those of a modern wristwatch

(D) The first personal computers' severe hardware and software limitations were similar to those of a modern wristwatch

(E) The severe hardware and software limitations of the first personal computers were similar to that of a modern wristwatch

This question is not OG material. I find B, which is the closest to correct, very inadequate; the comparison is incomplete. I will stick with OG problems going forward.
P
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GPA: 2.61
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2019, 22:43
zvazviri wrote:
nelz007 wrote:

(A) The first personal computers had severe hardware and software limitations similar to that of a modern wristwatch

(B) The first personal computers had severe hardware and software limitations similar to a modern wristwatch's

(C) The severe hardware and software limitations of the first personal computers were similar to those of a modern wristwatch

(D) The first personal computers' severe hardware and software limitations were similar to those of a modern wristwatch

(E) The severe hardware and software limitations of the first personal computers were similar to that of a modern wristwatch

This question is not OG material. I find B, which is the closest to correct, very inadequate; the comparison is incomplete. I will stick with OG problems going forward.

The comparison isn't incomplete.

It's clearing referring to the limitations of a wristwatch. The possessive is used to do this in written english.

+1 Kudos if you like my post pls!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The first personal computers had severe hardware and software limitati   [#permalink] 18 Jun 2019, 22:43

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 24 posts ] 

The first personal computers had severe hardware and software limitati

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics