GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Jun 2018, 07:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The military governors and samurai warriors who ruled Japan

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
The military governors and samurai warriors who ruled Japan [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2014, 06:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

83% (00:37) correct 17% (00:54) wrong based on 357 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The military governors and samurai warriors who ruled Japan were trained to respect simplicity, be austere, and ritualized code of observed behavior.

(A) to respect simplicity, be austere, and ritualized code of observed behavior
(B) to respect simplicity, be austere, and observe a ritualized code of behavior
(C) that they should respect simplicity, be austere, and observe a ritualized code of behavior
(D) that they should respect simplicity, austerity, and a code of behavior that was ritualized and observed
(E) in order to respect simplicity, austerity, and a code of behavior that was ritualized and observed

Hi, I want to know how do we know about the main verb and object noun, please.
I put my question in spoiler as it will expose the answer choice.

How can we know that the main verb is "observe" and the object is "a ritualized code of behaviour", please.
For the object " a ritualised code", I presume that we do not change it from the original sentence, and this leaves us "ritualised code of" as one word.
Director
Director
Re: The military governors and samurai warriors who ruled Japan [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2014, 11:17
Respect is main verb. Why will be trained? and to do what? to respect ritualized code of behavior. Ritualized code of behavior is object.

Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2014, 12:51
Hi Baten80,
Thank you of that.

How can we know that the main verb is "observe" and the object is "a ritualized code of behaviour", please.
For the object " a ritualised code", I presume that we do not change it from the original sentence, and this leaves us "ritualised code of" as one word.
6 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2014, 04:36
I believe the main verb in this sentence is “were”. “to respect”, “to be austere” and “to observe” are “infinitives”; and infinitives are not verbs.

Clearly there are a lot of “logically similar” elements here (three to be precise). So, the intent of the sentence is to convey that the military governors and samurai warriors who ruled Japan were trained to do 3 things:
i) respect simplicity
ii) be austere
iii) observe ritualized code of behavior

Hence, these 3 elements should be structurally similar. Let’s look at A. Suppose we “deconstruct” this as: The military governors and samurai warriors who ruled Japan were trained to X,Y, and Z. Then:
i) X=respect simplicity
ii) Y=be austere
iii) Z=ritualized code of observed behavior

The issue is that the “common portion” of the sentence (outside the XYZ structure) makes sense with X and Y, but does not make sense with Z.
i) … were trained to respect simplicity - Correct
ii) … were trained to be austere - Correct
iii) … were trained to ritualized code of observed behavior - Incorrect

However, with B, everything falls in place. The military governors and samurai warriors who ruled Japan were trained to X,Y, and Z. Then:
i) X= respect simplicity
ii) Y= be austere
iii) Z= observe a ritualized code of behavior

The “common portion” of the sentence (outside the XYZ structure) now makes sense with X, Y and Z:
i) … were trained to respect simplicity - Correct
ii) … were trained to be austere - Correct
iii) … were trained to observe a ritualized code of behavior - Correct

This is the simple technique I have learnt from the book I am currently referring to, and seems to work quite well in these kind of questions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2014, 12:12
Hi ayushman,

Thanks for going through this question!
If you don't mind, can I ask which book you are referring to, please?
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2014, 19:41
This is a classic problem that tests parallelism. The "to" is distributed among each of the terms so that an infinitive is made.

The verb is not "respect" but "were trained." This is a passive construction, so "military governors and samurai warriors" are the objects. The objects receive the action, or have something done to them, as did the governors and warriors. If you can answer - Is the object in the subject position? Can I add "by someone"? - then it is passive. Thus, there is no subject.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2014, 11:54
The military governors and samurai warriors who ruled Japan were trained to respect simplicity, be austere, and ritualized code of observed behavior.

the list is
1) to respect simplicity
2) to be austere
3) to observer a ritualized code of behavior

(B) to respect simplicity, be austere, and observe a ritualized code of behavior -> Correct
(C) that they should respect simplicity, be austere, and observe a ritualized code of behavior
(D) that they should respect simplicity, austerity, and a code of behavior that was ritualized and observed
(E) in order to respect simplicity, austerity, and a code of behavior that was ritualized and observed

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2014, 20:51
goodyear2013 wrote:
Hi ayushman,

Thanks for going through this question!
If you don't mind, can I ask which book you are referring to, please?

Sorry looks like I forgot to answer. I am reading "EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana".

You can PM me if you want any more details.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V39

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2016, 23:58

(B) to respect simplicity, be austere, and observe a ritualized code of behavior

Mike Mc Garry Sir,

This is GMAT Prep Question Pack 1 SC question.
OA: B

I have no issue in arriving at the correct answer, but I still do not have a grammatical reasoning to understand why C and D are wrong, specially, why the usage of that is wrong here in terms of grammatical reasoning.

I also clearly do not understand the official explanation. http://screencast.com/t/8wkzuWiALkx

Thanks!

Richa Champion | My GMAT Journey - 470 720 740

Target 760+

Not Improving after Multiple attempts. I can guide You.
Contact me richacrunch2@gmail.com

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2016, 17:02
crunchboss wrote:

Mike Mc Garry Sir,

This is GMAT Prep Question Pack 1 SC question.
OA: B

I have no issue in arriving at the correct answer, but I still do not have a grammatical reasoning to understand why C and D are wrong, specially, why the usage of that is wrong here in terms of grammatical reasoning.

I also clearly do not understand the official explanation. http://screencast.com/t/8wkzuWiALkx

Thanks!

Dear crunchboss,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

As always, the official questions are of exceptionally high quality, but the official explanations leave a lot to be desired.

One thing I'll say is that the clearest way to demonstrate purpose in a variety of context is to use the infinitive of purpose. The OA, (B), uses this quite effectively. It's also quite idiomatic to say, "to train [someone] to do X." That is an extremely naturally phrasing. The verb "to train" very naturally takes an infinitive and doesn't take a "that" close.

The tricky thing about (C) & (D) is that they are 100% grammatically correct. It's closer to say that they are idiomatically incorrect. They are awkward in a way that is hard for me to explain. I believe it's just an idiom. The verb "to train" idiomatically takes an infinitive of purpose to show the object of the training, and never takes a "that" clause. It's idiom. I think that's the best explanation I can give.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2016, 20:43
respect, be, observe are parallel only in option B

I go with B
Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 02:53

GMATNinjaTwo Why we need "be" before the adjective "austere"?

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 07:16
hazelnut wrote:

This sentence is saying they were trained
1. to respect simplicity.
2. to be austere.
3. to observe some code.

"be austere" signifies the behavior/nature that they should have.

Consider it like this:

I want to be happy.

I want to happy.

Which one do you think is correct?

So, in a similar way, "they were trained to be austere" has been used.

In short, "they were trained to be austere" means they were trained how to be strict in their attitude.

I hope that makes sense.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
NEW VISA FORUM - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

How to use an Error Log? Check out my tips!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Expert Post
Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 07:43
Top Contributor
Apart from the reasons of poor style and flow that Mike has pointed out, C and D are structurally delinquent, in that they are using the suggestive or recommendatory 'should' in a subjunctive mood.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2017, 09:19
hazelnut wrote:

daagh wrote:
Apart from the reasons of poor style and flow that Mike has pointed out, C and D are structurally delinquent, in that they are using the suggestive or recommendatory 'should' in a subjunctive mood.

Thanks daagh and abhimahna!

hazelnut, if we eliminate the "be" before "austere" in choice (B), we'll have a parallelism issue: "trained to {verb}, {adjective}, and {verb}". As is, the parallel structure in choice (B) is correct: "trained to {verb}, {verb}, and {verb}".

www.gmatninja.com

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2017, 21:54
hazelnut wrote:
Why we need "be" before the adjective "austere"?

Hi hazelnut, let us remove the be in option B. So, the sentence would be:

The military governors and samurai warriors who ruled Japan were trained to respect simplicity, austere, and observe a ritualized code of behavior.

Since this sentence obviously uses parallelism (the presence of and is an indication), we need to figure out which parts of a sentence are logically similar. A handy technique is the XYZ deconstruct. Clearly, from the intended meaning of the sentence, you would deconstruct the sentence as:

The military governors and samurai warriors who ruled Japan were trained to X, Y, and Z.

Where:

X: respect simplicity
Y: austere
Z: observe a ritualized code of behavior.

The common portion (the portion of the sentence outside the XYZ deconstruct) of the sentence is:

The military governors and samurai warriors who ruled Japan were trained to

Rule: After doing the XYZ deconstruct, the common portion should make sense individually with X, with Y, and with Z.

Let's see if this is the case:

i) Common portion with X: The military governors and samurai warriors who ruled Japan were trained to respect simplicity (makes sense)

ii) Common portion with Y: The military governors and samurai warriors who ruled Japan were trained to austere (does not make sense; as you can see, the sentence should be: were trained to be austere)

iii) Common portion with Z: The military governors and samurai warriors who ruled Japan were trained to observe a ritualized code of behavior (makes sense)

In fact, this simple XYZ deconstruct is a very handy tool to analyze most of the parallelism related questions.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses the XYZ deconstruct, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2018, 18:41
Hello

Can anyone shed some light why E is wrong?

1. Well Begun is Half done
2. He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.
3. The night is darkest just before the dawn

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2018, 20:06
Rocket7 wrote:
Can anyone shed some light why E is wrong?

Hi Rocket7, in my mail above, I have discussed the XYZ deconstruct.

If you apply that XYZ deconstruct to option E, you can easily figure out why E is not correct.

If something is still not clear, let me know.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses XYZ deconstruct, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Re: The military governors and samurai warriors who ruled Japan   [#permalink] 10 May 2018, 20:06

The military governors and samurai warriors who ruled Japan

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap