Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:24 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Parallelismx   Pronounsx   Subject Verb Agreementx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Schools: Erasmus (S)
GMAT 1: 470 Q32 V23
GMAT 2: 550 Q32 V32
GPA: 3
WE:Analyst (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 218 [1]
Given Kudos: 191
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT 4: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
WE:Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to process them [#permalink]
Dear TGC, GMAT Ninja

In option E - 'to have it quickly processed...' - what does the pronoun "it" refers to? I understand that 'it' is plural and meaning wise it should modify frozen citrus (singular).

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to process them [#permalink]
(A) to process them quickly into juice concentrate before they rot when warmer weather returns: frozen citrus is singular, 'they' & 'them' are wrong here

(B) if they are quickly processed into juice concentrate before warmer weather returns to rot them: same error as in option A combined with unnecessary use of 'if'

(C) for them to be processed quickly into juice concentrate before the fruit rots when warmer weather returns: same error as in option A

(D) if the fruit is quickly processed into juice concentrate before they rot when warmer weather returns: unnecessary usage of 'if'

(E) to have it quickly processed into juice concentrate before warmer weather returns and rots the fruit: looks good

Option E it is
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Wharton '23
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
egmat, EducationAisle I rejected E because it refers to the frozen citrus why would GMAT rewrite the fruit later in the sentence and not use it? Isnt it redundant
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Deeptanshu02 wrote:
I rejected E because it refers to the frozen citrus why would GMAT rewrite the fruit later in the sentence and not use it? Isnt it redundant

Hi Deeptanshu02, instead of rots the fruit, if the sentence had used rots it, there would at least be some ambiguity whether it is referring to frozen citrus or juice concentrate.

While pronoun ambiguity is often not a deal-breaker in GMAT, here, the sentence, by mentioning the fruit, is just elegantly avoiding any ambiguity.
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Expert Reply
parthgohel wrote:
Dear TGC, GMAT Ninja

In option E - 'to have it quickly processed...' - what does the pronoun "it" refers to? I understand that 'it' is plural and meaning wise it should modify frozen citrus (singular).

Thanks

Hi

Let me try to address your query.

"It" is a singular pronoun, and is typically used to address nouns which are not persons. Therefore, both from a logic and tense perspective, "it" in option (E) can only refer to "frozen citrus", which is the correct reference to be made for the following clause since it talks about processing into "juice concentrate". The pronoun at that place cannot talk about growers.

Hence option (E) is the correct answer. Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
The plural of citrus is citrus itself. How can we reject ABCD based on this...?
Also in E, have it processed is passive...I feel A is better.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
St123Kt wrote:
The plural of citrus is citrus itself. How can we reject ABCD based on this...?
Also in E, have it processed is passive...I feel A is better.

Hi

If we were to consider "citrus" to be plural, then in answer options (A), (B), (C) and (D), the pronouns "they" and "them" can be considered ambiguous since we have another plural noun "growers" in the sentence, leading to logical inconsistencies.

Passive voice by itself is not wrong, grammatically speaking. It is simply that GMAT prefers active voice to passive voice, all else being equal. In order to rule out an answer option for using passive voice, we need a correct answer option in active voice, without any errors. That is not the case in this question. We can therefore select option (E) since there are errors in all the other options.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Send PM
EducationAisle CrackVerbalGMAT

The OA for this states that "Before" is a better choice here than "When" because it shows the cause and effect better, could you please elaborate on that a bit more?

P.S Here: https://prnt.sc/vo8y77
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
TargetMBA007 wrote:

The OA for this states that "Before" is a better choice here than "When" because it shows the cause and effect better, could you please elaborate on that a bit more?

Thanks for tagging me TargetMBA007.

The only thing that I can think of, is that when may just denote a correlation (and not necessarily causation).

Tagging other esteemed experts on this, for their opinions: GMATGuruNY, AndrewN.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [4]
Given Kudos: 500
The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to process them [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
EducationAisle wrote:
TargetMBA007 wrote:

Thanks for tagging me TargetMBA007.

The only thing that I can think of, is that when may just denote a correlation (and not necessarily causation).

Tagging other esteemed experts on this, for their opinions: GMATGuruNY, AndrewN.

Apologies for the delayed response, but I had some last-minute food shopping to do ahead of Thanksgiving (when grocery stores are closed, and when, coincidentally, I happen to do my weekly grocery run—on Thursdays). Thank you, TargetMBA007, for sharing that screenshot of the OE; it is a shining example of a poor-quality official explanation, unclear and generally none too useful. Although the explanation singles out a specific word, before versus when, to make a point, that point should have been built instead on comparing causality between the clauses that start with those words in the incorrect answer choices, and then putting on the finishing touches by breaking down the correct answer. Take a look at the sentence and answer choices again. I will draw attention to the clauses in question.

Quote:
The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to process them quickly into juice concentrate before they rot when warmer weather returns.

(A) to process them quickly into juice concentrate before they rot when warmer weather returns

(B) if they are quickly processed into juice concentrate before warmer weather returns to rot them

(C) for them to be processed quickly into juice concentrate before the fruit rots when warmer weather returns

(D) if the fruit is quickly processed into juice concentrate before they rot when warmer weather returns

(E) to have it quickly processed into juice concentrate before warmer weather returns and rots the fruit

Notice how the arrow of time is backwards in choices (A), (C), and (D). I mean, we encounter rotting fruit before we know its cause, the return of warm weather. It is jarring to seesaw back and forth in time like this for no good reason. Choice (B) dodges this temporal bullet well enough, but then matters get murky with to rot, which can be interpreted as a sign of intent (i.e. in order to rot). (What malicious weather if so!) Indeed, the only option that presents a straightforward timeline with no ambiguity of meaning is (E), presenting concurrent actions in returns and rots instead. Now, getting back to that OE, it is true that before, rather than when, should be used in the context of the sentence to indicate a clear timeline that citrus growers must operate within to salvage their frozen fruit. Compare the correct answer with a dummy answer that swaps out before for when:

Correct: The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to have it quickly processed into juice concentrate before warmer weather returns and rots the fruit.

Incorrect: The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to have it quickly processed into juice concentrate when warmer weather returns and rots the fruit.

The correct sentence allows us to appreciate the impending deadline; the incorrect variation conveys that growers quickly process rotting fruit. So yes, before is preferable to when, as stated in the OE, but such a threadbare explanation is a disservice to GMAT™ aspirants.

I hope that helps clarify the matter. Thank you, EducationAisle, for bringing me into the dialogue. It is always an honor to be called upon by a fellow Expert to offer a second opinion.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Send PM
EducationAisle - Thanks for that and for tagging other Experts.

AndrewN

Thanks Andrew. That's as comprehensive as it gets. That was really well explained.
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
dipeshsalvi wrote:
The OG answer suggest : Parallelism requires that the same word forms perform the same functions in the sentence. Here, the linking verb is requires two infi nitives: to salvage … to process (or to have … processed).

I don't understand this explanation as why both 'to salvage' and 'to process' needs to be parallel. How to identify such entities?

Thanks,
Dipesh

Notice that the truth is that all of the answer choices other than E contain clear errors that involve well known, basic concepts and meaning issues, and so actually you don't have to know how to identify the type of parallelism that appears in E.

In A, B, and C, the plural pronoun "they" incorrectly refers to the singular noun "citrus". D pairs "a way" with "if" to create "The only way is if ...", which conveys a nonsensical meaning, and D also has plural pronoun "they" referring to "fruit", which is apparently singular, as "fruit" uses singular verb "is".

That you don't have to identify the parallelism in order to find the correct answer is likely no accident, and the need for that type parallelism is not the point of the question.

GMAT Sentence Correction is not meant to be a test of knowledge of grammar rules. So, in most cases, getting the right answers to GMAT SC questions does not require knowledge of little known concepts. As is the case in this situation, using basic rules and concepts and seeing what makes sense and what does not make sense are much more important.

MartyTargetTestPrep
Hello sir,
How do someone know that 'citrus' is singular? The word 'citrus' carries the plural sign 's/es'. People may mistakenly count the 'citrus' as plural because of its plural sign.
I read few SC problems where GMAC tried to introduce the word (if it carries s/es form) either it is singular or plural. The following is an official SC where GMAC introduced the word 'Diabetes' whether it is singular or plural using 'its serious complications'.
Quote:
Diabetes, together with its serious complications, ranks as the nation's third leading cause of death, surpassed only by heart disease and cancer

(a) ranks as the nation's third leading cause of death, surpassed only
(b) rank as the nation's third leading cause of death, only surpassed
(c) has the rank of the nation's third leading cause of death, only surpassed
(d) are the nation's third leading causes of death, surpassed only
(e) have been ranked as the nation's third leading causes of death, only surpassed

https://gmatclub.com/forum/diabetes-tog ... ml#p138969
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to process them [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep
Hello sir,
How do someone know that 'citrus' is singular? The word 'citrus' carries the plural sign 's/es'. People may mistakenly count the 'citrus' as plural because of its plural sign.
I read few SC problems where GMAC tried to introduce the word (if it carries s/es form) either it is singular or plural. The following is an official SC where GMAC introduced the word 'Diabetes' whether it is singular or plural using 'its serious complications'.
Quote:
Diabetes, together with its serious complications, ranks as the nation's third leading cause of death, surpassed only by heart disease and cancer

(e) have been ranked as the nation's third leading causes of death, only surpassed

You really just have to know the words.

Notice that, according to the GMAT Club tags, the citrus question is originally from OG 9. I think OG 9 came out around the year 2000. Similarly, the diabetes question is originally from OG 11. In the past, the test was likely not as well tuned to test the skills of non-native speakers of English as it is now. So, it may be the case that the GMAT would no longer use in such a way a singular word that could be perceived as plural by non-native speakers.

In any case, the only way to know that the words are singular is to know the words.

Originally posted by MartyTargetTestPrep on 04 Feb 2021, 05:43.
Last edited by MartyTargetTestPrep on 04 Feb 2021, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep
Hello sir,
Quote:

You really just have to know the words.

Notice that, according to the GMAT Club tags, the citrus question is originally from OG 9. I think OG 9 came out around the year 2000. Similarly, the diabetes question is originally from OG 11. In the past, the test was likely not as well tuned to test the skills of non-native speakers of English as it is now. So, it may be the case that the GMAT would no longer use in such a way a singular word that could be perceived as plural by non-native speaker.

In any case, the only way to know that the words are singular is to know the words.

Thank you so much sir. Yes, it makes sense!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Schools: Wharton
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.46
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja MartyTargetTestPrep Have one doubt

The sentence means to say that the fruit rots because of the warm weather or when the warm weather returns. We are asked to be literal with GMAT SC but saying that
- weather returns to rot the fruit - Isn't that weird literally?

Is this a case where because of definite errors in other choices, we accept this error or is it not even an error to being with
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63672 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
NA08 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja MartyTargetTestPrep Have one doubt

The sentence means to say that the fruit rots because of the warm weather or when the warm weather returns. We are asked to be literal with GMAT SC but saying that

weather returns to rot the fruit - Isn't that weird literally?

Is this a case where because of definite errors in other choices, we accept this error or is it not even an error to being with

Suggesting that warm weather "goes away" or "returns" isn't much of a stretch, so this is perfectly fine.

But your concern is a common one! Check out this post, which explains how the GMAT (and writers in general) can take a little bit of license with what performs an action.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts