Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:47 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [66]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [43]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [14]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 783 [1]
Send PM
Re: The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market [#permalink]
Bookmarks
B for me

Reasons are plural, so we need "those"

E IMO has a concision problem... you can put "those" and make it crisp and clear with 1 word
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [1]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Kudos
foolbox wrote:
The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market were much the same as that behind last week's rally: a surge in the economy to a 5.6% annual growth rate and improved corporate earnings balanced by the lack of signs of inflationary pressure.
A. that
B. those
C. what was
D. for that
E. they wre

the same has two meaning, to refer to the same thing or to refer to like thing. each meaning has different usage. look at the dictionary to see
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V21
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
While comparing using "As", don't we need a clause followed by "as"? Here, according to OA, it doesn't seem like a clause preceded with "As".

Can you please help me understand whether there is a gap in my understanding of the concept as a whole or of the problem at hand?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
Send PM
Cannot understand why E is wrong. Plz explain..
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1322 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
foolbox wrote:
The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market were much the same as that behind last week's rally: a surge in the economy to a 5.6% annual growth rate and improved corporate earnings balanced by the lack of signs of inflationary pressure.
A. that
B. those
C. what was
D. for that
E. they wre

sayantanc2k wrote:
AnotherGmater wrote:
While comparing using "As", don't we need a clause followed by "as"? Here, according to OA, it doesn't seem like a clause preceded with "As".

Can you please help me understand whether there is a gap in my understanding of the concept as a whole or of the problem at hand?

You seem to be confused between two different usages of "as".

For comparing, "as" can be used either as a conjunction or as a preposition.

"As" as a conjunction: In this case the comparison is made between two clauses.
I am sick as you are.

"As" as a preposition: In this case two nouns are compared (generally in the idiomatic form X same as Y)
The reasons that.... are same as those.... option B - "reasons" compared with "those" ("reasons").

egmat GMATNinja
VeritasKarishma

Could some expert please explain why B is correct even though it's missing a clause after "as"? I believe that "as" is always followed by a clause when we're doing a comparison, as mentioned in egmat 's article (https://gmatclub.com/forum/as-vs-like-c ... 33950.html). B just has a noun (i.e. those) and doesn't have a verb. I believe that when AS is used for comparison, verb is not allowed to be omitted (i.e. ellipsis), so AS should always be followed by a Noun + Verb. Is that correct?

From sayantanc2k 's post, I see that there's an idiom usage here: "X same as Y". I believe we're allowed ellipsis in Y only for that idiom but we can't have ellipsis whenever "as" is being used for comparison in other cases?

pqhai wrote:
B. those
Correct. The reasons || those ("those" refers to "the reasons")

E. they were
Wrong.
- Pronoun problem: if you use "they", you repeat the same subject "the reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market" <== That's wrong, because "the reasons for X" and "the reasons behind Y" are different. (You only use "they" if you repeat the same subject)
- Parallelism problem: "The reasons for X" and "they were" are not parallel. Technically, the noun phrases before and after "were much the same" - comparative phrase - must parallel.

Hope it helps.

When we use pronouns, do they refer to just the noun or "noun+noun modifier" if the noun is followed by a modifier? For example, in E, would "they" be referring to "reasons" or "reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market"?

I know we use "those" for a new copy. Since the original sentence says "much the same", would the usage of "they" (i.e. used to refer to same copy) be incorrect?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
GMATNinja egmat broall
Please explain why is E wrong?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [3]
Given Kudos: 171
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V24
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 2.5
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
saurabhbhargava wrote:
GMATNinja egmat broall
Please explain why is E wrong?

Just providing my ideas,
there are some idiomatic usage of AS which I think we should memorize.
I just copy them from MGMAT SC book.
1- X Acts As Y
2- X is the Same As Y
3- As X,So Y
4- Such As Y (example)
5- Think Of X As Y
6- View X As Y
7- Regard X As Y
In all of the above structures, X and Y should be parallel (logically & grammatically). In this specific question, structure number 2 has been used.
In this question, X is "The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market" which is a noun phrase.
and Y should be another noun to be parallel with it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
"As" as a preposition: In this case two nouns are compared (generally in the idiomatic form X same as Y)
“The reasons that.... are same as those....” option B - "reasons" compared with "those" ("reasons").
Hence, B is the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
“The reasons that.... are same as those....” option B - "reasons" compared with "those" ("reasons").
Hence, B is the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 285
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
its a GMAT Prep question. please tag it
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
I thought just "This, These, Those" are not to be used in place of nouns.
They can be used as adjectives, such as Those reasons, these cars...

Can someone clarify?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
jkbk1732 wrote:
I thought just "This, These, Those" are not to be used in place of nouns.
They can be used as adjectives, such as Those reasons, these cars...

Hi jkbk1732, that/those can be used as as in place of nouns. In fact, this is a very common usage in GMAT, especially in comparison sentences.

Peter's car is more expensive than that of his brother.
- that correctly refers to car.

Michael's houses are dearer than those of his sister.
- those correctly refers to houses.

Note that in such a usage, that can only refer to singular nouns, while those can only refer to plural nouns.

Also note that this usage of that is different from the usage of that as a relative pronoun, wherein that can refer to both singular and plural nouns.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses the avatars of “that”. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.
Attachments

Downloaded 97 times

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Quote:
A. that
B. those
C. what was
D. for that
E. they were

Hi AndrewN sir

I was confused between A and E. Why can't the reasons be same for 2 different actions ( yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market and behind last week's rally)

Why i replace they with the subject, I should replace whole subject with the pronoun to decide whether it makes a sense or not, right? as:

The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market were much the same as reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock marketbehind last week's rally: a surge in the economy to a 5.6% annual growth rate and improved corporate earnings balanced by the lack of signs of inflationary pressure.- reject because it doesn't make sense with whole subject.
OR
The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market were much the same as reasons behind last week's rally: a surge in the economy to a 5.6% annual growth rate and improved corporate earnings balanced by the lack of signs of inflationary pressure.- need to replace with whole subject

2. In what scenarios the reasons could be same for 2 actions? What if the reasons were same ( please assume) then how the sentence could be grammatically correct?

The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market were much the same as those reasons behind last week's rally: a surge in the economy to a 5.6% annual growth rate and improved corporate earnings balanced by the lack of signs of inflationary pressure. How can i correct this sentence, if i want to emphasize that reasons were same. Please suggest
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [5]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
imSKR wrote:
Quote:
A. that
B. those
C. what was
D. for that
E. they were

Hi AndrewN sir

I was confused between A and E. Why can't the reasons be same for 2 different actions ( yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market and behind last week's rally)

Why i replace they with the subject, I should replace whole subject with the pronoun to decide whether it makes a sense or not, right? as:

The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market were much the same as reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock marketbehind last week's rally: a surge in the economy to a 5.6% annual growth rate and improved corporate earnings balanced by the lack of signs of inflationary pressure.- reject because it doesn't make sense with whole subject.
OR
The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market were much the same as reasons behind last week's rally: a surge in the economy to a 5.6% annual growth rate and improved corporate earnings balanced by the lack of signs of inflationary pressure.- need to replace with whole subject

2. In what scenarios the reasons could be same for 2 actions? What if the reasons were same ( please assume) then how the sentence could be grammatically correct?

The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market were much the same as those reasons behind last week's rally: a surge in the economy to a 5.6% annual growth rate and improved corporate earnings balanced by the lack of signs of inflationary pressure. How can i correct this sentence, if i want to emphasize that reasons were same. Please suggest

Hello, imSKR. If you follow the logic of the comparison, that between reasons for/behind one outcome and reasons for/behind another, it will lead straight to (B). In choice (A), that does not stand in for anything that logically fits in the comparison: rise? stock market? Test them:

(A.1)The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market were much the same as the sharp rise behind last week's rally

(A.2)The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market were much the same as the stock market behind last week's rally

Neither sentence is satisfactory. As for (E), it can look alluring if you do not insert it into the sentence, but once you do, you can see that they were behind is nonsensical. The verb were adds one word too many if you replace they with the reasons:

(E.1) The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market were much the same as they were behind last week's rally

(E.2) The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market were much the same as the reasons were behind last week's rally

You need a plural pronoun by itself to convey a logical meaning, and those fits the bill nicely. I hope that helps. Thank you for bringing the question to my attention.

- Andrew
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
imSKR wrote:
Quote:
A. that
B. those
C. what was
D. for that
E. they were

Hi AndrewN sir

OR

Hello, imSKR. If you follow the logic of the comparison, that between reasons for/behind one outcome and reasons for/behind another, it will lead straight to (B). In choice (A), that does not stand in for anything that logically fits in the comparison: rise? stock market? Test them:

(A.1)The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market were much the same as the sharp rise behind last week's rally

(A.2)The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market were much the same as the stock market behind last week's rally

Neither sentence is satisfactory. As for (E), it can look alluring if you do not insert it into the sentence, but once you do, you can see that they were behind is nonsensical. The verb were adds one word too many if you replace they with the reasons:

(E.1) The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market were much the same as they were behind last week's rally

(E.2) The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market were much the same as the reasons were behind last week's rally

You need a plural pronoun by itself to convey a logical meaning, and those fits the bill nicely. I hope that helps. Thank you for bringing the question to my attention.

- Andrew

Apologies for the blunder. I meant B ( those) ; not A .

My question was : To check pronoun ambiguity, when I need to replace pronoun ( those) with preceding noun . DO I need to understand replacing with entire subject (The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market ), or part of Subject (The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market ) is also OK?

As per my initial understanding, we should replace GENDER pronouns ( THEY/HE /etc. ) with entire subject, but not part of it ?
The girls wearing pink dresses were doing shopping. They bought expensive watches and clothes.
( Scope of "they" refer to girls wearing pink dresses ) . If i use replace they with subject, i should understand as : The girls wearing pink dresses were doing shopping. The girls wearing pink dresses bought expensive watches and clothes.
( please forgive me for asking a low level)

but for Demonstrative Pronouns ( THOSE/THAT) , only partial is OK
So keeping same concept,
The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market were much the same asTHOSE behind last week's rally
So , i can understand B as :
The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market were much the same as REASONS for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market behind last week's rally

2. Clarification:
Quote:

Why do we need "WERE" ? Why the sentence is right without using were with " those" but wrong for not using were with " they " or " the reasons"?
(E.1) The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market were much the same as they were behind last week's rally- CORRECT
(E.3) The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market were much the same as they behind last week's rally- WRONG
(B) The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market were much the same as THOSE behind last week's rally- CORRECT
please confirm.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
imSKR wrote:
Apologies for the blunder. I meant B ( those) ; not A .

My question was : To check pronoun ambiguity, when I need to replace pronoun ( those) with preceding noun . DO I need to understand replacing with entire subject (The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market ), or part of Subject (The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market ) is also OK?

As per my initial understanding, we should replace GENDER pronouns ( THEY/HE /etc. ) with entire subject, but not part of it ?
The girls wearing pink dresses were doing shopping. They bought expensive watches and clothes.
( Scope of "they" refer to girls wearing pink dresses ) . If i use replace they with subject, i should understand as : The girls wearing pink dresses were doing shopping. The girls wearing pink dresses bought expensive watches and clothes.
( please forgive me for asking a low level)

but for Demonstrative Pronouns ( THOSE/THAT) , only partial is OK
So keeping same concept,
The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market were much the same asTHOSE behind last week's rally
So , i can understand B as :
The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market were much the same as REASONS for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market behind last week's rally

2. Clarification:
Quote:

Why do we need "WERE" ? Why the sentence is right without using were with " those" but wrong for not using were with " they " or " the reasons"?
(E.1) The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market were much the same as they were behind last week's rally- CORRECT
(E.3) The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market were much the same as they behind last week's rally- WRONG
(B) The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market were much the same as THOSE behind last week's rally- CORRECT
please confirm.

Hello, imSKR. I think that once again, you may be seeking to create absolute rules when a simple check against the given answer choices will do. Option (E.1) above is incorrect. You cannot say, the same as the reasons were behind last week's rally—the were is an ungrammatical, extraneous element—so likewise, you cannot say, the same as they were behind last week's rally. In your earlier example about the girls in pink dresses shopping, the pronoun they could be understood to refer to simply the girls, since no other group of girls has been mentioned, and thus no confusion enters the picture about which girls were shopping. Creating absolute grammar rules will lead to more trouble than it is worth. I have seen certain grammar mavens on this site back themselves into a corner by following must-be-true conditions and eliminating answer choices left and right, and ultimately, you have to select something. Just look for the answer that is hardest to argue against. Here, those can stand in for reasons, so it fits the context of the sentence. Each other choice fails for one reason or another, as discussed above, both by myself and others.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7629 [3]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
foolbox wrote:
A. that
B. those
C. what was
D. for that
E. they wre

This question is based on Comparison and Pronoun Usage.

The sentence compares “the reasons for yesterday’s sharp rise in the stock market” with “the reasons behind last week’s rally”. The underlined word replaces the noun ‘reasons’.

The singular demonstrative pronoun ‘that’ cannot refer to the plural antecedent ‘reasons’. So, Option A can be eliminated.

In Option B, the plural demonstrative pronoun ‘those’ can appropriately replace the noun ‘reasons’. So, B is the best of all the options.

In such a construction, a demonstrative pronoun is more appropriate than a relative pronoun. Besides, the singular verb ‘was’ does not agree with the plural noun ‘reasons’. So, Option C can also be eliminated.

Option D is grammatically and structurally incorrect. The comparison as implied by this option would be - The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market were much the same as for that (the reasons)….. Furthermore, the singular pronoun ‘that’ cannot refer to ‘reasons’. So, Option D can be eliminated.

The verb ‘were’ is redundant in this sentence. The sentence implied by this option would be - The reasons for yesterday's sharp rise in the stock market were much the same as they (the reasons) were behind last week’s rally. When the verb ‘were’ is placed between the pronoun and the modifying phrase (behind last week’s rally), the comparison is no longer parallel. So, Option E can also be eliminated.

Therefore, B is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts