GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 19:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

The three women, liberal activists who strongly support legislation in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
The three women, liberal activists who strongly support legislation in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 02 Nov 2018, 03:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (00:49) correct 45% (01:05) wrong based on 2389 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The three women, liberal activists who strongly support legislation in favor of civil rights and environmental protection, have consistently received labor’s unqualifying support.

(A) have consistently received labor’s unqualifying support

(B) are consistently receiving the unqualifying support of labor

(C) have consistently received the unqualified support of labor

(D) receive consistent and unqualified support by labor

(E) are receiving consistent and unqualified support by labor

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 78: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Originally posted by singh_amit19 on 14 Oct 2007, 04:20.
Last edited by Bunuel on 02 Nov 2018, 03:00, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
e-GMAT Representative
G
Re: The three women, liberal activists who strongly support legislation in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2012, 08:32
Hi,
The three women, liberal activists who strongly support legislation in favor of civil rights and environmental protection, have consistently received labor's unqualifying support.

1. Generally, apostrophe “s” is used with living beings. It is better to avoid them if they are used with a non-living thing. However, this should not be followed as a rule. This is the matter of preference. For example:
i. “the lion’s mane” is better than “the mane of the lion”
ii. “the color of the shirt” is better than “the shirt’s color”
Hence, “labor’s unqualifying support” is a very preferable expression.
2. “unqualifying” is no word at all. (Type it in the word document and you will see the red line appearing below it.)
3. Well, both the verb tenses “have received” and “are receiving” are correct. Per the original sentence, the women “have received” consistent support, meaning that they have been receiving the support for quite some time now. There are no solid reasons why it should be changed to “are receiving”.

POE:
Let us eliminate the answer choices based on more obvious errors in the sentence.

(A) have consistently received labor’s unqualifying support: Wrong as discussed.

(B) are consistently receiving the unqualifying support of labor: Wrong. “unqualifying” is ungrammatical.

(C) have consistently received the unqualified support of labor: Correct answer. Per the context of the sentence, the word “unqualified” means “not modified, limited, or restricted in any way”.

(D) receive consistent and unqualified support by labor: This choice distorts the meaning of the sentence. Also use of “by” is incorrect here.

(E) are receiving consistent and unqualified support by labor: Same errors as in D.
Notice that other answer choices can be eliminated for more obvious errors rather than the verb tense issue.

1. Avoid ungrammatical expressions.
2. Avoid answer choices that distort the meaning of the sentence.
3. Look for obvious errors in an answer choice to eliminate it.

Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
QOTD: The three women, liberal activists  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 11:20
I really don’t like this question very much, to be honest. But it’s a good “inside the mind of the GMAT” sort of example. Basically, the question is entirely about picking up on the details that slightly tweak the meaning of the sentence. And meaning is easily half the battle on SC.

Quote:

I wish that there were some nice, clean grammatical errors here, but unfortunately, we have to think about the meaning of the sentence right off the bat. “Unqualifying” basically means “fails to meet a standard or threshold”, and that doesn’t make sense here. We’re not saying that labor’s support is “unqualifying” or inadequate in some way; the sentence is clearly trying to say that labor’s support is not limited.

So we’re much better off with the word “unqualified”, which means “without reservation or limitation” in this case. (A) is out.

Quote:

“Unqualifying” is wrong for the same reasons as in (A). I'm not convinced by the verb tense, either: it seems much more reasonable to use present perfect (“have received”), since that tense is used for an action that starts in the past and continues into the present. The support MUST have started in the past for this sentence to make sense, so the use of present tense is inappropriate. Eliminate (B).

Quote:

This fixes the verb tense issue, and “unqualified” makes much more sense than “unqualifying.” Keep (C).

Quote:

As discussed in (B), the verb tense doesn’t really work here: how could that support be “consistent and unqualified” if it didn’t start in the past? I also think it makes more sense to say “of labor” than “by labor,” but that’s not nearly as important. Either way, (D) is out.

Quote:

Same issue as in (B) and (D): the use of present tense doesn’t make a whole lot of sense here. (E) is gone, and (C) is the correct answer.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Most Helpful Community Reply
SVP
SVP
Re: The three women, liberal activists who strongly support legislation in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2009, 18:56
singh_amit19 wrote:
The three women, liberal activists who strongly support legislation in favor of civil rights and environmental protection, have consistently received labor’s unqualifying support.

A. have consistently received labor’s unqualifying support
B. are consistently receiving the unqualifying support of labor
C. have consistently received the unqualified support of labor
D. receive consistent and unqualified support by labor
E. are receiving consistent and unqualified support by labor

I will go with C.

In A:
labor's unqualifying support --> labor's <unqualifying support > --> which may mean that .. labor has "qualifying support" and "unqualifying support" and we are referring to labor's <unqualifying support>

this doesn't make sense.

it should be unqualifying/unqualified labor's support --> unqualified <support of labor>

C is far better than A.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

General Discussion
Director
Director
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2015, 21:08

Solution:

There is a issue in the meaning.
The support is modified by Labor. That is labor's suppport
And also the support is unqualified.
That means "unqualified" and "labor's" should be modifying support.
But in this option "labor’s unqualifying support" -> Support is modified by unqualified and qualified is modified by labor's -> which is illogical as labor's cannot modify unqualified.
Besides, "unqualifying" is not a word.

The above issue is rectified but we have another issue.
Now the meaning is "liberal activists who strongly support legislation in favor of civil rights and environmental protection" this is modifying "The three women" and the sentence talks about why they are "liberal activists". They have become "liberal activists" because they received support (I have stripped support of all the adjectives).
That means they received the support sometime back and the support is still continuing -> So present perfect is applicable.
This option uses the present continuous -> it means that support is still continuing and it is for a very short duration, and that doesn't provide the require understanding.

For example: I am cycling now -> The actions started some time back and it is continuing for a "short" duration. The cycling cannot be for a day or a month or a whole year. In this question, we require a duration for at least a month or a year.

Besides, "unqualifying" is not a word.

(C) have consistently received the unqualified support of labor -> Correct

In this option, the adverb "consistently" is converted into consistent which is a performing a role of an adjective and is modifying the support. This changes the meaning drastically as we require the adverb "consistently" to modify receive (verb).

This is also a tense issue -> Simple present which suggests that it is always true -> which is illogical.

In this option, the adverb "consistently" is converted into consistent which is a performing a role of an adjective and is modifying the support. This changes the meaning drastically as we require the adverb "consistently" to modify receive (verb).

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
The three women, liberal activists who strongly support legislation in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2015, 02:09
‘Unqualifying’ means undeserving or without qualifications; ‘unqualified’ means absolute and full. Both are usable in their own contexts. But here ‘unqualifying’ doesn’t fit in. So A and B are out.

By labor’ is unidiomatic; the correct idiom is either ‘from labor’ or ‘of labor’ D and E are out. C is left.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2016, 04:22
daagh wrote:
‘Unqualifying’ means undeserving or without qualifications; ‘unqualified’ means absolute and full. Both are usable in their own contexts. But here ‘unqualifying’ doesn’t fit in. So A and B are out.

By labor’ is unidiomatic; the correct idiom is either ‘from labor’ or ‘of labor’ D and E are out. C is left.

Hallo Daagh,

There is no doubt that the right answer is C in this case but tell me whether the following sentence is wrong?

"Express Entry candidates who have a job offer supported by a Labor Market Assessment."

We read "supported by" on too many news paper articles.Are you saying they are wrong in most of the occasions??
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2016, 13:47
techiesam wrote:
daagh wrote:

Hallo Daagh,

There is no doubt that the right answer is C in this case but tell me whether the following sentence is wrong?

"Express Entry candidates who have a job offer supported by a Labor Market Assessment."

We read "supported by" on too many news paper articles.Are you saying they are wrong in most of the occasions??

"Labour" is not the point here. "Support" is the point.

"Support" as a noun takes "of" or "from", whereas "support" as a passive verb (or a participle) takes "by" (any transitive passive verb takes "by").

Correct: I have the support of / from Labour Union.
Correct: I am supported by Labour Union.
Wrong: I have the support by Labour Union.
Wrong: I am supported of / from Labour Union.
Director
Director
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Jul 2016, 02:26
singh_amit19 wrote:

Please stop all the fancy explanations. RIGHT NOW !!

There is no such word as "UNQUALIFYING" . THE CORRECT WORD IS "NON-QUALIFYING" which means "NOT ELIGIBLE or NOT WORTHY"

On the other hand "UNQUALIFIED" is a correct word which means "TOTAL, COMPLETE, WITHOUT RESTRICTION"

Since we are talking about something that has happened to three woman in the past, therefore "have received" is correct. ("have" plural for 3 women, "received" for past action)

This combination of UNQUALIFIED + HAVE RECEIVED is found in OPTION C

C IS THE CORRECT ANSWER.

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Originally posted by LogicGuru1 on 19 Jul 2016, 00:10.
Last edited by LogicGuru1 on 19 Jul 2016, 02:26, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
B
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2016, 01:59
Top Contributor
singh_amit19 wrote:

This question could be solved easily by using the intended meaning of the sentence on the first place,below:

(A) have consistently received labor’s unqualifying support .........>unqualifying=not meeting some sort of standard for qualification.This is not the intended meaning
(B) are consistently receiving the unqualifying support of labor .......>Changed the time-frame to very short-term by using present continuous(Started almost recently) here
(C) have consistently received the unqualified support of labor ............>unqualified =without any sort of restriction or reservation,or simply not qualified,Correct
(D) receive consistent and unqualified support by labor ........>present -"universal truth" kind of sentence.No specific time frame
(E) are receiving consistent and unqualified support by labor .......>Incorrect as answer Choice B

Correct Answer C

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
Re: QOTD: The three women, liberal activists  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 13:43
"C" for me.

(A) have consistently received labor’s unqualifying support -unqualify is a modifier modifying support. And the support is given by labor. So, better way to write is unqualified support of labor.
(B) are consistently receiving the unqualifying support of labor -Change of tense. We need to show continuity so present perfect is required. Present continuous changes the intended meaning.
(C) have consistently received the unqualified support of labor -CORRECT
(D) receive consistent and unqualified support by labor -support by? We need support of
(E) are receiving consistent and unqualified support by labor -support by? We need support of

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!
Preparing for RC my way
RC Summary Activity - New Project to imporve RC Skills
Bloomberg's US Bschool Ranking

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant | 2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation | 3. LSAT RC compilation | 4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal | 5. QOTD RC (Carcass) | 6. Challange OG RC | 7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GRE 1: Q166 V147
GPA: 3.3
WE: Other (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 03:52
souvik101990 wrote:

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 74: Sentence Correction

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

A. Labour's is wrong.
B. We need present perfect
C. Bingo
D. Changes meaning (consistently is used as adverb in the original sentence). This option considered it as a diff action
E. same as D

23 Kudos left to unlock next level. Help me by Contributing one for cause :) .. Please

My failed GMAT experience ... https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-bad-experience-640-need-suggestions-on-verbal-improvement-251308.html

My review on EmpowerGMAT : https://gmatclub.com/reviews/comments/empowergmat-online-course-345355767

VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 08:21
souvik101990 wrote:

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 74: Sentence Correction

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

The answer is C

'Unqualified" should modify support
The women were not supported by the labor rather they were given support .

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 09:41
Top Contributor

'Unqualified means without reservation or hesitation, unconditional; unqualifying means undue, undeserving

You might see why A and B are out for meaning absurdly. C is the best because of the idiom as well as the use of the present perfect rather than the out of context present tense and present progressive.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 09:29

(A) have consistently received labor’s unqualifying support - unqualifying is incorrect
(B) are consistently receiving the unqualifying support of labor - Present continuous tense,
(C) have consistently received the unqualified support of labor - Correct
(D) receive consistent and unqualified support by labor - usage of and changes the meaning
(E) are receiving consistent and unqualified support by labor - Present continuous tense, usage of and changes the meaning

Answer C

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Director
Director
G
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 14:31
Unqualifying = The opposite of qualifying.

Qualifying = training, serving to make fit or competent; limiting, restricting; attributing particular characteristics or qualities; moderating, modifying.

One definition of to qualify is "to limit".
In the SC above, to have "unqualified support" means to have "unlimited support".

In A and B, "unqualifying support" means that the support is not limiting something else. The intended meaning of the sentence is that the activists have the "unqualified support" (meaning the unlimited support) of labor. Eliminate A and B.

In D and E, "by labor" is not the correct idiom. X is "supported by" Y, but X receives the "support of" Y. Eliminate D and E.

The correct answer is C.

Unqualified = Giving support without any reservation/condition.

==> A and B are out.

D and E do not convey the meaning consistent with "consistently".

Answer is C.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Director
Director
G
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 14:42
Unqualifying = The opposite of qualifying.

Qualifying = training, serving to make fit or competent; limiting, restricting; attributing particular characteristics or qualities; moderating, modifying.

One definition of to qualify is "to limit".
In the SC above, to have "unqualified support" means to have "unlimited support".

In A and B, "unqualifying support" means that the support is not limiting something else. The intended meaning of the sentence is that the activists have the "unqualified support" (meaning the unlimited support) of labor. Eliminate A and B.

In D and E, "by labor" is not the correct idiom. X is "supported by" Y, but X receives the "support of" Y. Eliminate D and E.
The correct answer is C.
Unqualified = Giving support without any reservation/condition.
==> A and B are out.
D and E do not convey the meaning consistent with "consistently".
Answer is C.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2018, 05:51
(A) have consistently received labor’s unqualifying support - incorrect
(B) are consistently receiving the unqualifying support of labor - Incorrect
C) have consistently received the unqualified support of labor - correct option
(D) receive consistent and unqualified support by labor - not the intended meaning
(E) are receiving consistent and unqualified support by labor - not the intended meaning
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2018, 05:51
(A) have consistently received labor’s unqualifying support - incorrect
(B) are consistently receiving the unqualifying support of labor - Incorrect
C) have consistently received the unqualified support of labor - correct option
(D) receive consistent and unqualified support by labor - not the intended meaning
(E) are receiving consistent and unqualified support by labor - not the intended meaning
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The three women, liberal activists who strongly support legislation in &nbs [#permalink] 09 Nov 2018, 05:51

The three women, liberal activists who strongly support legislation in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap