GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 12:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The type of behavior exhibited when an animal recognizes itself in a m

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
e-GMAT Representative
P
Re: The type of behavior exhibited when an animal recognizes itself in a m  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2018, 14:38
teaserbae wrote:
Dear egmat mikemcgarry

I have a doubt.
Here exhibited is in the past tense and comes is in the present tense. Does it make sense to have past and present in the same sentence, I am unable to understand it

Hello teaserbae,

Thank you for your query. :-)

In this official sentence, exhibited is not a verb because it is not an action done by the subject The type of behavior.

The word exhibited is a verb-ed modifier that modifies The type of behavior because the said behavior gets exhibited.

Please review our popular article to learn how to distinguish between a simple past tense verb and a verb-ed modifier in the following link:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ed-forms-verbs-or-modifiers-134691.html

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
P
Re: The type of behavior exhibited when an animal recognizes itself in a m  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2018, 04:41
look at choice D and B
choice D means
in the best way, it is studied as....
this is correct meaning
choice b means

it is best so that it is studied as...
this book is best so that this book is studied as part of the program
this meaning is absurd, and no-sense.
so, choice B is gone
VP
VP
P
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: LBS '22
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
The type of behavior exhibited when an animal recognizes itself in a m  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2018, 21:03
Didn't realise we could join two independent clauses and a conjunctive adverb together like this.

Upon review, I note that a coordinating conjunction can be used to intro a second clause, which can contain "thus" or other conjunctive adverbs.
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2019, 21:17
Hi,

I'm having difficulty understanding this sentence.

As I understand, a conjunctive adverb must be preceded by a semicolon and followed by a comma when it is used to join two independent clauses, but conjunctive adverbs can be used without the semi-colon - comma requirement if they are joining parts of the same independent clause.

This would allow us to eliminate (C) as (C) contains comma, conjunctive adverb, subject + verb (another independent clause)

For example: The CEO agreed with the board. The Board, however, disagrees with him.

I don't understand WHAT the subject is after "theory of mind" across (A), and (D)

Is (D) correct because "comes within the domain... AND...thus is best studied..." are parallel?

Bit confused
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2019, 13:12
dcummins wrote:
Hi,

I'm having difficulty understanding this sentence.

As I understand, a conjunctive adverb must be preceded by a semicolon and followed by a comma when it is used to join two independent clauses, but conjunctive adverbs can be used without the semi-colon - comma requirement if they are joining parts of the same independent clause.

This would allow us to eliminate (C) as (C) contains comma, conjunctive adverb, subject + verb (another independent clause)

For example: The CEO agreed with the board. The Board, however, disagrees with him.

I don't understand WHAT the subject is after "theory of mind" across (A), and (D)

Is (D) correct because "comes within the domain... AND...thus is best studied..." are parallel?

Bit confused

dcummins wrote:

dcummins, I think you have it!

This sentence boils down to, "The type of behavior exhibited when [...] comes within the domain of [...] and thus is best studied..." In this case, "thus" is just an adverb modifying the verb "is". So, stripping out the modifiers, we are left with a perfectly parallel list of verbs: "The type 1) comes within the domain... and 2) is best studied..." The subject of both verbs ("comes" and "is") is "type" (or, more specifically, "type of behavior").

I hope that helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2019, 23:28
Hi mikemcgarry,

I think I am confused to understand how to classify whether something is used as a list or as two independent clauses. Let me explain with an example

The book explains X, and covers Y - Here we understand them as two independent clauses. 1) The book explains X 2) the book covers Y. However, if we consider them as a list of verbs for the subject The book, we then can join both the verbs just with And without the use of a comma.

So my question is whether they are interchangeable in usage or whether there are any specific rules on when to classify as list only and when to classify as Independent clauses only
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2019, 01:20
teaserbae Two points here:

1) "exhibited" isn't a verb here. It's a past participle modifying "behavior." Since it is working like an adjective, it isn't a verb and doesn't have a tense. Notice that the behavior didn't do anything. In a similar vein, we might say "This is the kind of stove used in the best restaurants." This doesn't mean the stove was used in the past--it is currently being used.

2) Even if we did have a past tense verb, that wouldn't stop us from using a present tense verb elsewhere, since the two parts of the sentence are not parallel. (Even then, we can shift from past to present if the meaning requires it.) For instance, we might say "The guitar that Jimi Hendrix played at Woodstock is now on display in a museum."

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
VP
VP
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
The type of behavior exhibited when an animal recognizes itself in a m  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2019, 02:37
The type of behavior exhibited when an animal recognizes itself in a mirror comes within the domain of “theory of mind,” thus is best studied as part of the field of animal cognition.

highlighted the subjects and verbs

(A) of “theory of mind, thus is (verb) best
Error joins two independent clauses with a conjunctive adverb that is not preceded by a semicolon and followed by a comma.

Thus and other conjunctive adverbs do not take the place of coordinating conjunctions, which are used to join two independent clauses together.

(B) “theory of mind,” and so is best to be

Duplicate coordinating conjunctions ; "to be" infinitive doesn't adds layers without anything in return.

(C) of a “theory of mind,” thus it is best

Thus is used to connect two independent clauses. Thus must be preceded by a semicolon and followed by a comma if it is to be used to connect two independent clauses.

As mentioned by GMATNinja, In this case, "thus" is just an adverb modifying the verb "is". So, stripping out the modifiers, we are left with a perfectly parallel list of verbs.

(D) of “theory of mind” and thus is best
Although I got this wrong, I understand now that "thus" is correct here because it logically refers to the same subject - "the type of behaviour"

(E) of the “theory of mind,” and so it is best to be
duplicate coordinating conjunction; "best to be" adds layers also.
G

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2019, 22:51
The type of behavior exhibited when an animal recognizes itself in a mirror comes within the domain of “theory of mind,” thus is best studied as part of the field of animal cognition.
(C) of a “theory of mind,” thus it is best

IF exhibited is not be verb

first I think it is DC+IC because of the existence of "when " and ignore "and " because of "DC" but I get wrong answer. WHAT a tricky question

could explain why "when" is not making dependent clause ?

......when.....,thus ..... =DC-IC HENCE WE DO NOT NEED CONJUNCTION THAT I GO FOR ANSWER C
......when .....,and thus =DC,AND IC WHY ?

The type of behavior exhibited when an animal recognizes itself in a m   [#permalink] 14 Sep 2019, 22:51

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

The type of behavior exhibited when an animal recognizes itself in a m

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics