It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 01:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The U.S. hockey team won the Olympic gold medal

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Tutor
B

Kudos [?]: 159 [2], given: 0

The U.S. hockey team won the Olympic gold medal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 04:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (01:11) correct 41% (01:08) wrong based on 261 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

New problem for everyone!

__

The U.S. hockey team won the Olympic gold medal in 1980, against which the odds had been a thousand to one, providing inspiration to Americans in a time of economic difficulty and geopolitical tension.

(A) team won the Olympic gold medal in 1980, against which the odds had been a thousand to one, providing inspiration to Americans in

(B) team’s 1980 Olympic gold-medal victory, against odds of a thousand to one, served to inspire Americans in

(C) team’s win of the 1980 Olympic gold medal was against odds of a thousand to one, which served to inspire Americans during

(D) team’s victory of the 1980 Olympic gold medal, against thousand-to-one odds, serving to provide inspiration to Americans during

(E) team won the 1980 Olympic gold-medal victory against thousand-to-one odds, providing inspiration to Americans in

__

OA is deferred for 24 hours.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Please visit my corners of the web:
http://www.RonPurewal.com
http://www.facebook.com/RonPurewalGMAT
__

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete fare domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi
__

Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.
—Yves Saint-Laurent

Kudos [?]: 159 [2], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 484

Premium Member
Re: The U.S. hockey team won the Olympic gold medal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 05:12
RonPurewal wrote:

__

The U.S. hockey team won the Olympic gold medal in 1980, against which the odds had been a thousand to one, providing inspiration to Americans in a time of economic difficulty and geopolitical tension.

(A) team won the Olympic gold medal in 1980, against which the odds had been a thousand to one, providing inspiration to Americans in

(B) team’s 1980 Olympic gold-medal victory, against odds of a thousand to one, served to inspire Americans in

(C) team’s win of the 1980 Olympic gold medal was against odds of a thousand to one, which served to inspire Americans during

(D) team’s victory of the 1980 Olympic gold medal, against thousand-to-one odds, serving to provide inspiration to Americans during

(E) team won the 1980 Olympic gold-medal victory against thousand-to-one odds, providing inspiration to Americans in

__

Thanks for the question Ron!

Would like to go with B.

- Stne

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 484

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 132

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 05:19
Hello RonPurewal, A tough question again. It's definitely between A and B (I don't know if I am over thinking on this one)(Awaiting the OA).

1. However, could you please throw some light on the usage of "during" in options C and D. I think the usage is wrong.
2. Can you also throw some light on "in time of" vs "during time of".
I am a non-native speaker so pardon me if I have asked a foolish question.

--Correct. "which" correctly refers back to the US Hockey team.
--"had been" is correctly used, since the odds are presented at the starting of the match. So basically we have 2 things happening in past so we need to specify the order of events.

--1.We can directly say that the victory inspired the Americans in dire times.
--2. "1980 Olympic gold medal" doesn't mean that the medal was son in 1980. It is possible that the medal was won at some other event, in which that medal was given to the team.

--1. This option doesn't state the year in which medal was won. "1980 Olympic gold medal" doesn't mean that the medal was won in 1980.
--2. "which" highlighted in red incorrectly refers back to "odds" because the odds didn't inspire the Americans.

--1. This is not a sentence.
--2. "1980 Olympic gold medal "repeats the same mistake like the one in option C.

--1. Redundant "won" and "victory".

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 92

Concentration: Leadership, Finance
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 01:03
I think its B

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 92

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 9

GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 02:00
RonPurewal wrote:

__

__

I will go with B
A) Which modifies the medal instead of team
c) win, which
d)serving to provide
e) won victory

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 9

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 8

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 2.79
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 02:38
[quote="RonPurewal"]New problem for everyone!

__

(A) team won the Olympic gold medal in 1980, against which the odds had been a thousand to one, providing inspiration to Americans in- which refers team or winning the gold?? not clear

(B) team’s 1980 Olympic gold-medal victory, against odds of a thousand to one, served to inspire Americans in-correct answer

(C) team’s win of the 1980 Olympic gold medal was against odds of a thousand to one, which served to inspire Americans during- Which modifies odd-wrong ref

(D) team’s victory of the 1980 Olympic gold medal, against thousand-to-one odds, serving to provide inspiration to Americans during- verb missing for Am. teams victory-wrong

(E) team won
the 1980 Olympic gold-medal victory against thousand-to-one odds, providing inspiration to Americans in- changes meaning victory against thousand odd. original victory inspired people- wrong

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 8

Top Contributor
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8171 [2], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 10:37
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The critical factor is that a team may or may not inspire after all. However, a team's performance can certainly. Teams with their participants may come and go but their momentous performances sometimes remain evergreen, boosting or burying spirits. That said, wherever the team appears to be inspiring is not as correct as a team's win inspiring. We should rather leave choices A and E for this reason alone.

Among B, C, and D: Fortunately D is a fragment to make things easy.
Between B and C: In C, the reference of 'which', referring to the 'win', jumping over several nouns such as one, odds, and then a gold medal and interestingly a verb 'was', is indeed far-fetched.

Another fact of difference between ' in' as in B and 'during' as in C is that, 'during' is a range of period with a start and an 'end' that is fairly larger than a shorter stint of 'in'. Considering that the economic recession of 1980 lasted longer than the spell of the Olympics, during as in C seems to be inappropriate vis-a-vis 'in' as in B.

B seems to be a decisive winner.

The takeaways:
1. Understand the difference between the use of 'in' and 'during'
2. The reference of the relative pronoun 'which'
3. The logic of the adverbial comma+verbing modification.

Great learning

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8171 [2], given: 364

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 145 [1], given: 132

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 10:52
This post received
KUDOS
daagh wrote:
The critical factor is that a team may or may not inspire after all. However, a team's performance can certainly. Teams with their participants may come and go but their momentous performances sometimes remain evergreen, boosting or burying spirits. That said, wherever the team appears to be inspiring is not as correct as a team's win inspiring. We should rather leave choices A and E for this reason alone.

Among B, C, and D: Fortunately D is a fragment to make things easy.
Between B and C: In C, the reference of 'which', referring to the 'win', jumping over several nouns such as one, odds, and then a gold medal and interestingly a verb 'was', is indeed far-fetched.

Another fact of difference between ' in' as in B and 'during' as in C is that, 'during' is a range of period with a start and an 'end' that is fairly larger than a shorter stint of 'in'. Considering that the economic recession of 1980 lasted longer than the spell of the Olympics, during as in C seems to be inappropriate vis-a-vis 'in' as in B.

B seems to be a decisive winner.

The takeaways:
1. Understand the difference between the use of 'in' and 'during'
2. The reference of the relative pronoun 'which'
3. The logic of the adverbial comma+verbing modification.

Great learning

Hi daagh,

Thank you for the wonderful insight. But, I have a few doubts after going through aforesaid explanation.

1. comma+verb+ing modifier modifies the action of the preceding clause and not the subject. So as per the option A given below, providing is modifying "win". So as per your explanation shouldn't A be the correct option as far as meaning is concerned?
2. Does "which" correctly refer back to the team?
3. I think that "had been" is correctly used, since the odds are decided before any match begins, and that we need a perfect tense here since 2 events are happening in the past.

Please throw some light on my above doubts. (I understand that B is crispier and less wordier than A, but my above doubts are just to get a better understanding of the language)

Regards

Quote:

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:

Kudos [?]: 145 [1], given: 132

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 8171 [0], given: 364

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 19:08
Top Contributor
gmatexam

True, the adverbial modifier does modify the team's win. However, the more serious fault of A is that the modifier relegates the inspiration to an auxiliary status while unduly considering the win itself as the core; On the contrary, the verb 'served to inspire' is more forthright and therefore is crispier as you have rightly made out. One can see the V-A-N rule in full swing.

Thanks for the nice point.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8171 [0], given: 364

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 20:39
RonPurewal wrote:

__

__

I would go with B

Explanation-
A seems almost right but the main part from the sentence is to talk about the economic tension .

B . Option describes more about the main issue that is of inspiration to the American in hard times.

Sent from my XT1562 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 23:09
daagh wrote:
gmatexam

True, the adverbial modifier does modify the team's win. However, the more serious fault of A is that the modifier relegates the inspiration to an auxiliary status while unduly considering the win itself as the core; On the contrary, the verb 'served to inspire' is more forthright and therefore is crispier as you have rightly made out. One can see the V-A-N rule in full swing.

Thanks for the nice point.

Thank you daagh. Such words coming from you motivates me a lot and help me to concentrate better. :)

Also, can you please throw some light on point number 2 and 3 below with respect to option A.

3. I think that "had been" is correctly used, since the odds are decided before any match begins, and that we need a perfect tense here since 2 events are happening in the past.

Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 8171 [1], given: 364

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 01:56
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
gmatexam

Quote:

IMO, 'in A, 'which' rightly or wrongly can only refer to the team since there is no other noun for the pronoun to refer to. Therefore, there is no issue about it and logically too, 'which' can refer to the team without a hitch as the odds are fixed against a team and not on its attributes. However, in the case of C, the same pronoun refers to the 'win' (a noun here) as there is no other noun that the relative pronoun can fall back on. Therefore, the reference of 'which' is a non-issue, I suppose.
With reference to the use of the perfect tense, it does not matter much whether the said odds were there before the tournament started or during the tournament since it does not critically affect the intent.
Although the two events occurred in the past, the odds were also there simultaneously during the course of the tourney. Probably a simple past would have been ample enough in such a case. You may see that the supposedly correct choice does not use a past perfect.

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8171 [1], given: 364

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
GMAT Tutor
B

Kudos [?]: 159 [3], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 01:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hello all,

I've written up an exhaustive key for this problem. I'm uploading it in graphical form — please check it out.

If there are further questions from anyone who's gone through this key, please ask away!

--R
Attachments

Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 01.48'07.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 01.48'07.png [ 503.9 KiB | Viewed 775 times ]

__

__

—Yves Saint-Laurent

Kudos [?]: 159 [3], given: 0

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 02:15
Hi RonPurewal,

Thanks for the analysis of the question. However I have 2 doubts after going through the explanation.

1. In choice A, isn't "providing" modifying "The U.S. hockey team won the Olympic gold medal in 1980". The "against which the odds had been a thousand to one" part of the sentence is just an additional information that can be removed while reading the sentence. Doesn't verb+ing modifier jump past such "additional information"?

For example: Cristiano Ronaldo, who is considered the god of football, passing the mid-field at a lightening pace scored the first goal in under 10 minutes.
Here, "passing" doesn't modify "considered the god of football", instead it modifies "Ronaldo" - doesn't it?

2. Why isn't there any noun for "victory" in option A. Isn't "hockey team" the subject and noun of "victory"? If it is not the noun then I am seriously confused as to how to approach such a question?

Awaiting your reply on both the doubts.

Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Tutor
B

Kudos [?]: 159 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 09:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi, thanks for your responses.

gmatexam439 wrote:
1. In choice A, isn't "providing" modifying "The U.S. hockey team won the Olympic gold medal in 1980". The "against which the odds had been a thousand to one" part of the sentence is just an additional information that can be removed while reading the sentence. Doesn't verb+ing modifier jump past such "additional information"?

^^ Comma + __ing modifiers should describe the NEAREST action.
A sentence that requires comma + __ing to "jump over" an entire action, in order to modify an action that's farther away, is a BADLY WRITTEN SENTENCE — and the correct answers will NOT be badly written.

YOU don't need to think about "good writing" versus "bad writing" here — you can just remember that comma + __ing will modify the NEAREST preceding action, if the sentence is correctly written.

(If you have any OFFICIAL counterexamples — from materials created by GMAC — that contradict what I'm saying here, then please post citations of those examples!
That sentence about Cristiano Ronaldo is VERY badly written. If that's the (supposedly) correct answer from a GMAT-related source, then, you should regard that source with extreme skepticism from now on.

Quote:
2. Why isn't there any noun for "victory" in option A. Isn't "hockey team" the subject and noun of "victory"? If it is not the noun then I am seriously confused as to how to approach such a question?

^^ Unnecessary because "win" is there.
If the sentence contained BOTH "win" AND "victory", it'd be redundant.

__

__

—Yves Saint-Laurent

Kudos [?]: 159 [1], given: 0

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 10:15
RonPurewal wrote:
Hi, thanks for your responses.

gmatexam439 wrote:

^^ Comma + __ing modifiers should describe the NEAREST action.
A sentence that requires comma + __ing to "jump over" an entire action, in order to modify an action that's farther away, is a BADLY WRITTEN SENTENCE — and the correct answers will NOT be badly written.

YOU don't need to think about "good writing" versus "bad writing" here — you can just remember that comma + __ing will modify the NEAREST preceding action, if the sentence is correctly written.

(If you have any OFFICIAL counterexamples — from materials created by GMAC — that contradict what I'm saying here, then please post citations of those examples!
That sentence about Cristiano Ronaldo is VERY badly written. If that's the (supposedly) correct answer from a GMAT-related source, then, you should regard that source with extreme skepticism from now on.

Quote:

^^ Unnecessary because "win" is there.
If the sentence contained BOTH "win" AND "victory", it'd be redundant.

Thank you Ron. I think I had studied the kind of structure I mentioned in my first point somewhere long time back. Maybe the source wasn't genuine. But thanks a lot for pointing that out. I went through a couple of OG 12 questions targeted at verb+ing modifiers and as pointed by you the verb+ing modifiers modify the nearest action.

Thanks again for the quick and generous reply - I am trying to learn the SC rules from your "Thursdays with Ron" videos. I have made considerable progress after going through them, since I am able to pin pint the errors with greater confidence now. I am hoping to improve even more once I revisit your videos again.

Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:

Expert Post
GMAT Tutor
B

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 06:58
You're welcome ... but ... OG 12 is four editions ago! It's almost 9 years old...

Do you mind if I ask why you aren't using a more recent edition of the book?
(The problems that are purged from the OG — especially from the sentence correction section, which is the only section that's really evolved much over the last 10-15 years — have been purged for very specific reasons.)

__

__

—Yves Saint-Laurent

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 10:51
RonPurewal wrote:
You're welcome ... but ... OG 12 is four editions ago! It's almost 9 years old...

Do you mind if I ask why you aren't using a more recent edition of the book?
(The problems that are purged from the OG — especially from the sentence correction section, which is the only section that's really evolved much over the last 10-15 years — have been purged for very specific reasons.)

I have already finished reading OG17, so I am going through old OGs - just in case. I hope it's not a bad thing to do? If yes, I will refrain myself from using the same in future.

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1056

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2017, 23:30
this is a self-made question, I always welcome, but the question definitely never appears in the actual test.

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1056

Re: The U.S. hockey team won the Olympic gold medal   [#permalink] 12 Nov 2017, 23:30

The U.S. hockey team won the Olympic gold medal

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap