GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 00:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Thieves steal Hondas and Toyotas from the 1990s more than other models

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
P
GMAT ToolKit User
Thieves steal Hondas and Toyotas from the 1990s more than other models  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 09:49
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (01:18) correct 47% (01:16) wrong based on 372 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Thieves steal Hondas and Toyotas from the 1990s more than other models because they can chop them up and sell them for parts that are worth more than the car.

A. more than other models because they can chop them up and sell them for parts that are worth more than the car

B. more than they steal other models because they can chop them up and sell them for parts that are worth more than the car

C. more than they do other models because they can dismantle the cars and sell the parts that are worth more than the car

D. more than other models because they can chop the cars up and sell them for parts that are worth more than the car

E. more than other models because they can dismantle them up and sell them for parts that are worth more than the car

Hasan Mahmud

Retired Moderator
P
GMAT ToolKit User
Thieves steal Hondas and Toyotas from the 1990s more than other models  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 09:51
OE

A. Step 1: Identifying What Is Tested

o Looking for differences in the options, we can see that some of the options use the verb “dismantle” while others use the verb “chop”.

o Also, the initial part of the answer options following the construction “more than…” varies across the options. Finally, some options use the construction “sell the parts” and some use “sell them for parts”.

B. Step 2: Understanding the Sentence

o The sentence is comparing the propensity of the thieves to steal Hondas and Toyotas. The correct construction should therefore compare the action of stealing Hondas and Toyotas with the action of stealing other models. The sentence should compare verbs (and use the verbs on both sides of the comparison). The correct construction would be “more than they steal other models” or “more than they do other models”.

o In the construction “sell them for parts”, the pronoun “them” is ambiguous. It is not clear whether the pronoun refers to the “Hondas and Toyotas”or to “other models”.

o The verb “chop” would mean to “cut something into pieces using a blunt instrument”. Therefore, the verb “dismantle”, which simply means to “take something apart” would be more appropriate in this context.

C. Step 3: Eliminating Options

o Choices (A) and (D) can be eliminated for any and all of the reasons discussed. The comparison is incomplete, the pronoun is ambiguous, and the verb “chop” is inappropriate.

o Choice (B) corrects the comparison error. However, the pronoun usage is still ambiguous.

o Similarly, choice (E) corrects only the pronoun error. The comparison construction is incorrect as it compares a verb to a noun.

Choice C is the correct answer.

https://practice-questions.wizako.com/g ... on-3.shtml

Hasan Mahmud

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.44
Re: Thieves steal Hondas and Toyotas from the 1990s more than other models  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 21:05
Mahmud6 wrote:
Thieves steal Hondas and Toyotas from the 1990s more than other models because they can chop them up and sell them for parts that are worth more than the car.

A. more than other models because they can chop them up and sell them for parts that are worth more than the car

B. more than they steal other models because they can chop them up and sell them for parts that are worth more than the car

C. more than they do other models because they can dismantle the cars and sell the parts that are worth more than the car

D. more than other models because they can chop the cars up and sell them for parts that are worth more than the car

E. more than other models because they can dismantle them up and sell them for parts that are worth more than the car

A, D and E are incorrect comparison as it sounds like other models steal more than the thieves

B and C remain. B is incorrect as they dont sell "them" (cars) , they have dismantled the car so they are selling the parts.

C is the correct option
Director
Director
S
Reviews Badge
Re: Thieves steal Hondas and Toyotas from the 1990s more than other models  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 22:48
Proper comparision should be done..

theives steal hondas... shud be compared with act of stealing,,,,

+ 1 for C...

what the OA
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 01:30

A. more than other models because they can chop them up and sell them for parts that are worth more than the car.

C. more than they do other models because they can dismantle the cars and sell the parts that are worth more than the car.

D. more than other models because they can chop the cars up and sell them for parts that are worth more than the car.

E. more than other models because they can dismantle them up and sell them for parts that are worth more than the car.

My first reasoning is use of word chop....i think use of this word does not logically convey the exact meaning of the sentence..so i will use Dismantle any day....also in option A,D and E...comparison more than other models seems incorrect...the act of stealing has to be compared rather than the models...

So, only B and C remain.....Thus "C" is the clear winner..

Please hit kudos button below if you found my post helpful..TIA

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q43 V28
GPA: 3.52
WE: Operations (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 08:28
I Will go with C. It is the correct option.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 08:47
Hi Experts,

I agree C is correct choice, but need some clarification regaring choice A, D and E marked as incorrect comparisons

more than [they steal] other models because they can chop them up and sell them for parts that are worth more than the car - is n't the redunduncy removed?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 07:46

ambiguous
ambiguous

ambiguous
ambiguous
Director
Director
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 10:17
Top Contributor
I have a confusion for option C:

more than they (This they referring thieves) do other models because they (but I am confused about this "they" whether it is referring thieves or models) can dismantle the cars and sell the parts that are worth more than the car?

Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT Date: 06-26-2015
GPA: 3.45
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 14:36
Mahmud6 wrote:

It is a good question. This is how I solved this question,

Intended meaning: Thieves steal 1990s cars more than they steal other model cars. The reason for this preference is that the parts of these 1990s cars are worth more than the worth of the whole car

Error Analysis:

1. Comparision Error: There are two meaning that this sentence can convey.
A. More cars are stolen by thieves than cars stolen by other models. In this case, Thieves are compared with Other models, which is ridiculous
B. Thieves steal two models of cars, one is 1990s models and other models, out of which 1990s cars are stolen more.
As you can see that the sentence B is logical and correct, we need this meaning in the correct choice

2. Wrong vocab: You can not Chop a car, it is not an Onion ;) . So We dismantle a car.
3. Pronoun Error: there is a proper referent for 'them'. Both Thieves and Models can be the referent. From the meaning analysis, we can see that THEM = Models

Answer choice Analysis:

A. Wrong for the reasons mentioned above
B. Though this choice corrects the Comparision error, it still uses CHOP instead of DISMANTLE. Besides that, the pronouns used in this sentence are so messed up. Half of the pronouns refer to THIEVES and Half of the pronouns refer to Models.
C. Correct- Comparision error corrected. Pronoun consistency maintained throughout the sentence. Perfect use of Vocab, DISMANTLE.
D. This choice posses all the error mentioned in the error analysis.
E. Though it corrects the Vocab error, it still retains the pronoun and comparison error.

Hope this Helps :thumbup:

--------------------
Shravan
GMATPrep--430, Q30,V20

++ 150Hrs ++

VeritasPrep--610, Q45,V29

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 07:17
Can somebody explain why "they do(steal)" is needed after than? I thought "~than other cars" is just fine because cars themselves cannot steal sth, so it is clear enough.

Posted from my mobile device
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 07:59
megakee9 wrote:
Can somebody explain why "they do(steal)" is needed after than? I thought "~than other cars" is just fine because cars themselves cannot steal sth, so it is clear enough.

Hey megakee9 ,

You need to understand what are we comparing.

The rule is if we have X more than Y , then X and Y must be ||.

Now, if as per you Y is other cars, our X would be Hondas and Toyotas.

But as per the meaning of the sentence, we are comparing the action of stealing rather than the cars themselves. Hence, we would need "do" after more than to show our X is also an action.

Does that make sense?

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 08:59
abhimahna wrote:
megakee9 wrote:

Hey megakee9 ,

You need to understand what are we comparing.

The rule is if we have X more than Y , then X and Y must be ||.

Now, if as per you Y is other cars, our X would be Hondas and Toyotas.

But as per the meaning of the sentence, we are comparing the action of stealing rather than the cars themselves. Hence, we would need "do" after more than to show our X is also an action.

Does that make sense?

Thank you abhimahna
I think I kind of understood. However, I am still confused.

I learned about unnecessary wordy cases of comparison

Example (from Manhattan SC Chp8):
Vishal eats more carrots than donuts => clear enough
Vishal eats more carrots than he does donuts => wordy (because donuts must be the object (donut itself cannot eat sth)

Why is this question different from above case?
Thieves steal Hondas and Toyotas ~ more than other models
Thieves steal Hondas and Toyotas ~ more than they do other models

I thought this is the same case because Hondas and Toyotas cannot steal sth.

Can you clarify more on this? I think I am messed up between these two cases.
Thank you :)
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 09:20
megakee9 wrote:
Thank you abhimahna

Vishal eats more carrots than he does donuts => wordy (because donuts must be the object (donut itself cannot eat sth)

Hey megakee9 ,

The construction you have used is of the form more X than Y, where X and Y must be ||

Since in your example X is carrots, therefore Y is donuts. ( X and Y are two nouns)

Whereas in the question above, we have X more than Y where X and Y are two actions.

Does that make sense?

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 09:32
abhimahna wrote:
megakee9 wrote:
Thank you abhimahna

Hey megakee9 ,

The construction you have used is of the form more X than Y, where X and Y must be ||

Since in your example X is carrots, therefore Y is donuts. ( X and Y are two nouns)

Whereas in the question above, we have X more than Y where X and Y are two actions.

Does that make sense?

Oh, thanks abhimahna
The location of "more" is different.
That's why this question is comparing two actions whereas my example is comparing two nouns. I got it.
Re: Thieves steal Hondas and Toyotas from the 1990s more than other models &nbs [#permalink] 21 Mar 2018, 09:32

Thieves steal Hondas and Toyotas from the 1990s more than other models

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap