Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6255 [22]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [8]
Given Kudos: 49
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6255 [1]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [4]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Those who opine lose their impunity when the circumstances in which th [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi, I have got all the answers correct and here is my version of explanation:-

1.) As the question here writes "author most likely NOT disagree", we may consider it as "author would agree to some extent". So, we need to find the answer which is implicit in the passage and author agrees. If we analyze the first para, it explains a scenarios where someone's opinion can incur punishment and also explains that if someone makes judgement that only concerns himself, then he should be allowed to, i.e. should not be punished. So, these two explanation shows that opinion can be harmless or dangerous in different scenarios, hence option B.

2.) This is explained in the second paragraph. Author explains "The traditions and customs of other people are, to a certain extent, evidence of what their experience has taught them" and then says "their interpretation of experience may be correct, but unsuited to him". This means, the author wants to convey the message that tradition and customs may be unsuited to someone and can stifle individual's development. Hence option B i.e. III argument is correct. Other two are nowhere mentioned in the passage.

3.) If we read the whole line containing "conforming to custom merely as custom", the author here tries to explain that the "conform to custom merely as custom does not educate him or develop in him any of the qualities". So, to answer the question, we need to find an option which indicates that customs help in development of some qualities. Option C says that a certain culture allows children to make their own decision, and hence we can derive that that culture contribute to the development of certain qualities. So, option C challenges the author argument and hence C is the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V32
Send PM
Re: Those who opine lose their impunity when the circumstances in which th [#permalink]
Anu26

Question says what is that with which author is MOST likely to agree?

Evaluation option a ) Since passage says 'while mankind are imperfect there should be different opinions' whereas option confirms the fact.
Author states obligation and not fact.
So a) is not 100% correct.

Evaluation option C ) Too extreme. Author asks for human intervention which does not mean punishment.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
:arrow: This is why option A & C is incorrect in Q:1

A. Different opinions exist because people are imperfect.
B. An opinion can be relatively harmless in one context and dangerous in another.
C. Opinions directed specifically against fellow human beings should be punished.

for A: read this part of passage
carry his opinions into practice at his own cost. As it is useful that while mankind are imperfect there should be different opinions, so it is that there should be different experiments of living, that free scope should be given to varieties of character..

Author is using "people are imperfect" phrase as one of the reason that they should explore, experiment and make their own opinions, yes new opinions exist because of that , but author never says that its the only reason for Different opinions. too Extreme

for C: read this part of passage
An opinion that corn dealers are starvers of the poor, or that owning private property is robbery, ought to be unmolested when simply circulated through the press, but may justly incur punishment when delivered orally to an excited mob assembled before the house of a corn dealer

As highlighted above in one case opinions against fellow be left unmolested in other case punished. too Extreme
Manager
Manager
Status:I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul!!
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [4]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
An excellent passage for practice and getting those RC shoes on, but I highly doubt (and its my personal opinion) if such passages actually help in GMAT prep. First of all, per my prep experience, GMAT almost never confuses readers with so many hard-to-make-sense words. And secondly, RC tests just what the name suggest, Reading comprehension. It almost never tests vocabulary. Yeah, questions pertaining to words in the context of the passage are certainly asked, but in a manner used in this passage.

I was excited about this project and had assumed that it was definitely going to help me in my GMAT prep, but from the very first passage, and I am sorry to say this, I feel the passage deviates slightly from what the GMAT tests.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts