GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Sep 2018, 10:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2006
Posts: 573
Location: Kuwait
Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 25 May 2018, 22:42
1
11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

94% (00:46) correct 6% (00:57) wrong based on 2451 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 10th Edition, 2003

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 168
Page: 678

The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 11th Edition, 2005

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 128
Page: 659

Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same amount of acreage produces double the apples that it has in 1910.

(A) double the apples that it has

(B) twice as many apples as it did

(C) as much as twice the apples it has

(D) two times as many apples as there were

(E) a doubling of the apples that it did

Originally posted by Mishari on 10 Jun 2007, 12:41.
Last edited by hazelnut on 25 May 2018, 22:42, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
G
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2686
Re: Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2014, 07:43
4
3
purnima wrote:
Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same amount of acreage produces double the apples that it has in 1910.

(A) double the apples that it has

(B) twice as many apples as it did

(C) as much as twice the apples it has

(D) two times as many apples as there were

(E) a doubling of the apples that it did


I have a doubt , I studied in e-gmat session on sentence structure that each sentence must have at least one independent clause. But In this sentence , because- dependent clause marker and that-dependent clause marker,so where is the independent clause ? Is there something wrong in my understanding.


Hi Purnima,

Thanks for posting you doubt here. :-)

Let's break this sentence into clause to see if it has an Independent clause or not.

Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same amount of acreage produces double the apples that it has in 1910.

Cl 1: Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same amount of acreage produces double the apples (IC)
Cl 2: that it has
in 1910. (DC)

(blue = subjects, green = verbs)

The thing that you missed here is that the word "because" is not immediately followed by a Subject-Verb (SV) pair. It is actually followed by a phrase which has neither a Subject nor a Verb. Hence we don't have a clause there. The Subject of the main clause is "the same amount of acreage" and the Verb is produces".

Consider these two sentences:

Because of you, I could finish my project on time.
Because Mary came late, we were late for the show.

As you can see, the first sentence has just one IC as "because" is followed by a phrase "of you". In the second sentence, we have two clauses - the first is a DC and the second an IC - as "because" is followed by an SV pair "Mary came".

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2007
Posts: 23
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.71
Re: Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2007, 13:39
4
1
Welp, my first post (and SC is my worst area), but I'll give it a shot:

(A) double the apples that it has

--- I imagine that you can't produce double the apples. You can produce double the number of apples. "has in 1910" also doesn't appear to agree.

(B) twice as many apples as it did

--- This looks pretty good to me. Twice as many -apples- as -it did in 1910-

(C) as much as twice the apples it has

--- This changes the meaning. It produces twice the number of apples, not as much as twice the apples (this may be wrong). Has doesn't agree here again.

(D) two times as many apples as there were

--- "As there were" does not make sense. The comparison isn't how many apples there were in 1910, but how many an acreage produced.

(E) a doubling of the apples that it did

-- "produces a doubling of the apples" ... where to begin? This doesn't make logical sense to me. Doubling of what?

B is the choice for me.
General Discussion
Current Student
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 5001
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2012, 02:21
2
2
souvik101990 wrote:
Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same amount of acreage produces double the apples that it has in 1910.

(A) double the apples that it has
(B) twice as many apples as it did
(C) as much as twice the apples it has
(D) two times as many apples as there were
(E) a doubling of the apples that it did


A. Too many wrong stuffs going on. Double could be associated with a number or a figure but not apples. Also "has" is incorrect. the verb needs to be parallel with the past tense of produced. So "has" doesnt do it. we need "did" This is often tested on the GMAT. An analogy could be:
I scored less than I had in the last exam. NOT CORRECT
I scored less than I did in the last exam. CORRECT
C. as much as cannot denote quantity. "much" denotes items that are not quantifiable.
D. Same problem as A. we need "did" not "were". Also two times as many is wordy.
E. Acreage cannot produce a doubling. It can produce double the number of apples.

B. CORRECT
_________________

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Affiliations: SAE
Joined: 11 Jul 2012
Posts: 497
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2012, 04:25
1
On hindsight the answer seems to be B.

The concept to learn here is the difference between Twice and Double

Searched all over the net, but found contradicting answers. Can someone throw some light on the same. :roll:
_________________

First Attempt 710 - http://gmatclub.com/forum/first-attempt-141273.html

Current Student
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 5001
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2012, 05:27
3
1
souvik101990 wrote:
Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same amount of acreage produces double the apples that it has in 1910.

(A) double the apples that it has
(B) twice as many apples as it did
(C) as much as twice the apples it has
(D) two times as many apples as there were
(E) a doubling of the apples that it did


A. Too many wrong stuffs going on. Double could be associated with a number or a figure but not apples. Also "has" is incorrect. the verb needs to be parallel with the past tense of produced. So "has" doesnt do it. we need "did" This is often tested on the GMAT. An analogy could be:
I scored less than I had in the last exam. NOT CORRECT
I scored less than I did in the last exam. CORRECT
C. as much as cannot denote quantity. "much" denotes items that are not quantifiable. Also we need "did"
D. Same problem as A. we need "did" not "were". Also two times as many is wordy.
E. Acreage cannot produce a doubling. It can produce double the number of apples.

B. CORRECT
_________________

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2011
Posts: 57
GRE 1: Q800 V800

GRE 2: Q800 V800

Re: Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2012, 12:41
5
No, contrary to much of the discussion here, this is not a question about the use of word "double."

Start with the split among has/did/were, that is, the choice between simple past and present perfect.

Use simple past here, because (1) all the action described by the verb has/did/were took place in 1910, (2) we use present perfect--has/have+past participle--only for an action or event that began in the past and continues (or whose effects continue) into the present. Eliminate A and C.

Use the pro-verb "did" to represent the verb "produced." Eliminate D.

The acreage produces apples ("twice as many apples") not an event ("a doubling of the apples"). Apart from this meaning issue, the GMAT generally prefers nice, concrete noun phrases to vague action nouns. Eliminate E.

That leaves B.

I would be very surprised to see a GMAT question settled by a choice between "double the number" and "twice as many."
_________________


Manhattan GMAT Instructor


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Oct 2012
Posts: 19
Re: Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2013, 01:14
1
2
Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same amount of acreage produces double the apples that it has in 1910.

(A) double the apples that it has

(B) twice as many apples as it did

(C) as much as twice the apples it has

(D) two times as many apples as there were

(E) a doubling of the apples that it did


OG13 Q125. I have a query regarding 1 of the OG explanations. For Option A, the oG says "the comparative construction as many as is needed." Doe sthis mean that if the tense was correct (had/did), double the apples would still be wrong? To change it to include as many as, would it be double as many apples as it had/ did?

Thanks :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2012
Posts: 387
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: Haas EWMBA '17
Re: Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2013, 01:41
tcsing wrote:
Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same amount of acreage produces double the apples that it has in 1910.

(A) double the apples that it has

(B) twice as many apples as it did

(C) as much as twice the apples it has

(D) two times as many apples as there were

(E) a doubling of the apples that it did


OG13 Q125. I have a query regarding 1 of the OG explanations. For Option A, the oG says "the comparative construction as many as is needed." Doe this mean that if the tense was correct (had/did), double the apples would still be wrong? To change it to include as many as, would it be double as many apples as it had/ did?

Thanks :)


Construction with "double as many apples as" or "double the apples" is incorrect here, but "double the number of apples" is appropriate. If you want to use double in the choice, then following construction could be grammatically correct (but wordier than choice-B):
--The same amount of acreage produces double the the number of apples that it did in 1910

Also, use "twice as MANY <noun> as" -> for countable nouns
Use "twice as MUCH <noun> as" -> for un-countable nouns

_________________

Thanks,
Prashant Ponde

Tough 700+ Level RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7
Reading Comprehension notes: Click here
VOTE GMAT Practice Tests: Vote Here
PowerScore CR Bible - Official Guide 13 Questions Set Mapped: Click here
Finance your Student loan through SoFi and get $100 referral bonus : Click here

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Oct 2012
Posts: 19
Re: Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2013, 01:45
PraPon wrote:
tcsing wrote:
Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same amount of acreage produces double the apples that it has in 1910.

(A) double the apples that it has

(B) twice as many apples as it did

(C) as much as twice the apples it has

(D) two times as many apples as there were

(E) a doubling of the apples that it did


OG13 Q125. I have a query regarding 1 of the OG explanations. For Option A, the oG says "the comparative construction as many as is needed." Doe this mean that if the tense was correct (had/did), double the apples would still be wrong? To change it to include as many as, would it be double as many apples as it had/ did?

Thanks :)


Construction with "double as many apples as" or "double the apples" is incorrect here, but "double the number of apples" is appropriate. If you want to use double in the choice, then following construction could be grammatically correct (but wordier than choice-B):
--The same amount of acreage produces double the the number of apples that it did in 1910

Also, use "twice as MANY <noun> as" -> for countable nouns
Use "twice as MUCH <noun> as" -> for un-countable nouns


Thanks! :) So to confirm, we can only double a number of x, not double x (x=noun) right?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2012
Posts: 387
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: Haas EWMBA '17
Re: Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2013, 01:53
1
tcsing wrote:
PraPon wrote:
tcsing wrote:
Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same amount of acreage produces double the apples that it has in 1910.

(A) double the apples that it has

(B) twice as many apples as it did

(C) as much as twice the apples it has

(D) two times as many apples as there were

(E) a doubling of the apples that it did


OG13 Q125. I have a query regarding 1 of the OG explanations. For Option A, the oG says "the comparative construction as many as is needed." Doe this mean that if the tense was correct (had/did), double the apples would still be wrong? To change it to include as many as, would it be double as many apples as it had/ did?

Thanks :)


Construction with "double as many apples as" or "double the apples" is incorrect here, but "double the number of apples" is appropriate. If you want to use double in the choice, then following construction could be grammatically correct (but wordier than choice-B):
--The same amount of acreage produces double the the number of apples that it did in 1910

Also, use "twice as MANY <noun> as" -> for countable nouns
Use "twice as MUCH <noun> as" -> for un-countable nouns


Thanks! :) So to confirm, we can only double a number of x, not double x (x=noun) right?


Yes as its also ambiguous in meaning. Double the apple could also mean double the apple's size.
_________________

Thanks,
Prashant Ponde

Tough 700+ Level RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7
Reading Comprehension notes: Click here
VOTE GMAT Practice Tests: Vote Here
PowerScore CR Bible - Official Guide 13 Questions Set Mapped: Click here
Finance your Student loan through SoFi and get $100 referral bonus : Click here

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2009
Posts: 18
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2014, 23:25
[quote="Mishari"]Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same amount of acreage produces double the apples that it has in 1910.

(A) double the apples that it has

(B) twice as many apples as it did

(C) as much as twice the apples it has

(D) two times as many apples as there were

(E) a doubling of the apples that it did


I have a doubt , I studied in e-gmat session on sentence structure that each sentence must have at least one independent clause. But In this sentence , because- dependent clause marker and that-dependent clause marker,so where is the independent clause ? Is there something wrong in my understanding.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 1302
Re: Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2014, 16:53
3
1
The idea here is that "were" and "did" can stand in for a previous verb, just like pronouns can stand in for a previous noun. "Were" typically stands in for another use of "was" or "were," or, if there has been a shift in time, for another form of "to be":

My parents were not as excited about the trip as my sister and I were. ("Were" stands for "were excited.")
The current generation of entrepreneurs will not be as successful as their predecessors were. ("Were" stands for "were successful," referring back to the earlier "will . . . be . . . successful.")

Do/does/did is more all-purpose. It can stand in for any other verb that represents something you would do:

I like pie more than my wife does. (does=likes pie)
He scoffed at the idea, as did most of the other investors. (did=scoffed at the idea)

With all this in mind, let's look at B and D:

B) Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same amount of acreage produces twice as many apples as it did in 1910.

Did = produce. A certain acreage produces twice as many apples as that same acreage did (produce) in 1910. This works fine.

D) Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same amount of acreage produces two times as many apples as there were in 1910.

Here, "were" stands in for what? There is no previous use of "were," or any other form of "to be," for that matter. That might be okay, as we are actually using a common comparison expression. The real meaning is that there are twice as many apples now as there were in 1910. The problem is that we aren't comparing the same things. We are comparing what a certain acreage produces now to how many apples existed in 1910. This doesn't make sense. It would be like saying "The average bond trader today earns twice as much as there was in 1940." Unless we mean that the average bond trader makes more money than there was in the whole world in 1940, this doesn't work. And if that is what we mean, I think I'll retire from gmatclub and take up bond trading. :)
_________________


Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2013
Posts: 9
Location: United States
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 09-01-2015
GPA: 3.4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2015, 10:08
2
Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same amount of acreage produces double the apples that it has in 1910.

(A) double the apples that it has
'double the apples' is awkward.

(B) twice as many apples as it did- correct

(C) as much as twice the apples it has
much- used for uncountable

(D) two times as many apples as there were
two times- wordy

(E) a doubling of the apples that it did
'a doubling of the apples' is awkward.
-----------------
More about the correct usage of twice, many, much:

If you say "twice as many", then this construction should be paired with a countable noun.
e.g., twice as many dogs --> "dogs" is a countable noun

If you said "twice as much", then this construction should be paired with an uncountable noun.
e.g., twice as much water --> "water" is an uncountable noun

If the noun in question is already an explicitly numerical quantity, then you should use neither "much" nor "many". Instead, you should just use "twice" or "double" by itself.
e.g., twice the increase --> "increase" is an explicitly numerical quantity

These rules are followed pretty closely.
For instance:
Twice as much water --> correct, since "water" is an uncountable noun (but is not an explicitly numerical quantity)
Twice the increase... --> correct
Twice the water... --> incorrect, since water is not a numerical quantity
Twice as much as the increase... --> incorrect; redundant

Cheers,
Rajan
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 May 2017
Posts: 18
Reviews Badge
Re: Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2018, 21:22
easy way to eliminate just check last part of the sentence as the past year is given so definitely past tense is required now :

So two options are eliminated now we have to select between were and did.

Now as the " acreage produces" is used so it means acreage did something and were can't be used as it implies static value . Eg- You were a good person .
hence we are left with option C .
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same &nbs [#permalink] 11 Sep 2018, 21:22
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.