Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 630 Q49 V26
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Took GMAT twice......score not improving...need help [#permalink]
AjiteshArun wrote:
ManishKM1 wrote:
Hi Wonderful folks,

This is Manish, 31 an engineer turned filmmaker striving to learn about creative business. I recently took my GMAT & got 620(Q46,V30). Started preparing again & took the test again after 20 days. Got 610( Q48,V26). Disheartened again. I simply don't know where am I going wrong? I have been getting >700 in test preps but all hell break lose in actual GMAT. I am using egmat, Power score for CR & OG13.
Need your kind help. AjiteshArun Request your kind suggestion.

Regards
Manish
1. For your tests: (a) were the questions in your GMATPreps "fresh", or had you already done/seen them before and (b) were you under any time pressure during the actual exams? Time management is critical, so ensure that you set time targets for the next attempt if you haven't already done so. List down your GMATPrep scores with the sectional and total scores.

2. Check your ESRs to see whether there are any obvious weaknesses (SC, CR, RC).

3. Have you set a (tentative) date for the next attempt yet? What are your program deadlines?

4. Start getting more practice material. I'd suggest that you switch over to official material before the exam, so that would mean OG questions, Question Pack 1, and most importantly, Exam Packs 1 & 2. You don't have to do everything, but get at least some additional practice questions and all the exam pack tests if you haven't taken them yet. Get a good set of adaptive tests from a test prep company if you're running out of official material.

5. Also, make sure that you put a lot of effort into analysis. Solving questions is good, but it's the analysis that really helps you get better.

Thanks AjiteshArun & ydmuley for your kind suggestion. Ordering ESR asap.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ManishKM1,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Your 2 Official Score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (+/- a few points). This implies that you handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. To score at a significantly higher level, you will have to make some fundamental changes to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Current Student
Send PM
Took GMAT twice......score not improving...need help [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi ManishKM1,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Your 2 Official Score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (+/- a few points). This implies that you handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. To score at a significantly higher level, you will have to make some fundamental changes to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections.

Rich

Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC,
Sorry for the delayed response. Below are my responses.

1) Majority of the time I took ENTIRE CAT. Few tests were Q & V only.
2) I took them at home but with almost real test environment.
3) Yes, I took all the tests in the noon (Actual GMAT 1 PM)
4) Some interruptions were there but negligible. I did skip IR & AWA in a few tests as mentioned above.
5) 3 GMAT prep tests repeated, score improvement of around 30 points.

Pls let me know if anything else is required.

Regards
Manish
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Manish,

From your prior post, there were some 'red flags' in terms of how you took your CATs, but before we discuss any of those issue, I have a few additional questions about the lead-up to Test Day and Test Day itself:

1) What did you do in the 3 days before your GMAT?
2) How did you sleep the night before your Test?
3) How long was the ride to the Test Center from your home?
4) Were there any distractions at the facility or during the Test?
5) What did you do during the two 8-minute breaks?
6) Did you finish any sections early?
7) Did you have to rush to finish any sections (and guess on questions just to finish on time)?

Rich
GMAT Club Bot