Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16833 [115]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16833 [31]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1751 [8]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Re: P and Q are prime numbers less than 70. What is the units digit of P*Q [#permalink]
Bookmarks
St 1- Units’ digit of (P4k+2−Q) is equal to 7, where k is a positive integer.
Diff of P&Q is odd. So either of them should be even. So only prime which is even is 2. So Q-2 and To get the diff. 7, P should be 3 as power of 3 in the form of (4k+2) results the unit digit into 9 and 9-2=7.
So P=3 and Q=2. Ans-Sufficient.

St-2-Units digit of the expression [PQ+Q∗(Q+1)−Q2] is a perfect cube.
Expression modified to (PQ+Q)...
The only unit digit which is perfect cube is 8.
Could not solve hereafter, please help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: P and Q are prime numbers less than 70. What is the units digit of P*Q [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Hi nilboy

For condition 2, as you already got that the units digit has to be 8.
So, we have Q(P+1)=x8, where x be any number before units digit.
try just 2 -3 prime numbers.
Consider, P=3 Q=2 Q(P+1)=8
PQ=6
Consider, P=3 Q=7 Q(P+1)=28
PQ=21
So, we cannot find the units digit with this condition.
Insufficient
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1751 [3]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
Detailed Solution

Step-I: Given Info

We are given two prime numbers P, Q < 70. We are asked to find the units digit of P*Q.

Step-II: Interpreting the Question Statement

The unit’s digit of the product of P & Q would depend on the units digit of P & Q. Hence, our endeavour would be to find the units digit of P & Q.

Step-III: Statement-I

Statement-I tells us that the difference between two numbers is odd which would imply opposite even/odd natures of the numbers i.e. one is even and the other is odd. Since, there is only on even number (i.e. 2), there are two possible scenarios:

• P=2, so P ^(4k+2) will have the units digit as 4. As a result the units digit of Q would be 7. Hence units digit of product of P & Q would be 4
• Q=2, in such a case units digit of P^(4k+2) will be 9, which implies that units digit of P is either 7 or 3. Hence, units digit of product of P & Q would be either 4 or 6.

Since, we do not have a unique answer, Statement-I is not sufficient to answer the question.

Step-IV: Statement-II

The expression in statement-II can be simplified to Q(P+1), since its unit digit is a perfect cube, the possible values are 1 and 8.

If unit digit is 1,
• Units digit of P= 2 and units digit of Q =7, so the units digit of product of P & Q would be 4

If unit digit is 8,two cases are possible:

• Units digit of Q= 2 and units digit of P =3, so the units digit of product of P & Q would be 6
• Units digit of Q= 1 and units digit of P= 7, so the units digit of product of P & Q would be 7

Since, we do not have a unique answer, Statement-II is not sufficient to answer the question

Step-V: Combining Statements I & II

Statement-I tells us that the units digit of P & Q can be 4 or 6. Statement-II tells us that the units digit of P & Q can be 4 or 6 or 7.
By Combining statements- I & II, we still do not have a unique answer.

Thus combination of St-I & II is also insufficient to answer the question.
Hence, the correct answer is Option E

Key Takeaways

1. Know the properties of Even-Odd combinations to save the time spent deriving them in the test
2. In even-odd questions, simplify complex expressions into simpler expressions using the properties of even-odd combinations
3. Know the cyclicality of the numbers to arrive at their units digit

Regards
Harsh

hi harsh

is 0 not a perfect cube ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
on the 2nd stmt, why dont we could use P=2 and Q=3 so that Q(P+1)=9... The unit digit is a perfect cube again..

Also please let me know on how to deploy and find values for finding the unit digits... as we solve these kind..

I mean on your take away "Know the cyclicality of the numbers to arrive at their units digit".. Could you please give a short note on how to work out? It would be helpful..

Thanks..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi Harsh,

One point regarding statement 1; we all know either of P/Q has to be 2.

If Q=2 then P^4k+2=9 which is possible only if k=0 and P=3, but since 0 is not a positive integer so I would assume K to be at least 1, so in this case P^6=9. Well I don't think any prime number raised to the power 6 can be 9 hence this scenario is not possible so the answer must be A.

Please clarify if I am wrong.

Thanks
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16833 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Everyone,

Lucky2783- 0 is indeed one of the possibilities :) even in such a case the answer would be 'E' because for units digit of Q (P+1) to be 0, P's units digit has to be 9 and Q can be any other possible prime number < 70. So, it further increases the no. of possibilities of the units digit of product of P and Q.

sheolokesh- 9 is not a perfect cube, it's a perfect square of 3, so it's not a valid case.

atom- we are dealing with the unit's digit of a number, so when we say that \(P^ {4k+2}\) will have the units digit as 9, the number \(P^{4k+2}\) is not equal to 9, but its units digit is.
For example: assuming P as 3, if we take k=1, then \(3^6\) would be 729. We see that the units digit is 9 and not the number itself. So, \(3^{4k+2}\) will always its units digit as 9. Similarly \(7^{4k+2}\) will also have its units digit as 9.

To know more about the cyclicity of the digits, you can register for our free trial where we have a separate chapter (Units Digit) on the concept. You can register here: https://e-gmat.com/registration/

Hope it helps!

Regards
Harsh
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 357
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

Wanted to know are these questions expected in GMAT? Because these are not really doable in 2 minutes :(
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16833 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
natashakumar91 wrote:
Hi,

Wanted to know are these questions expected in GMAT? Because these are not really doable in 2 minutes :(

Hi natashakumar91- the questions are slightly on the difficult side but with clarity of concepts and process, they are indeed doable in the given time frame. The first priority should be learning the right approach to the problems without considering the time taken. You would realize that once you have the right approach, time will take care of itself :)

Regards
Harsh

Originally posted by EgmatQuantExpert on 19 Apr 2015, 22:39.
Last edited by EgmatQuantExpert on 07 Aug 2018, 03:08, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GPA: 2.4
WE:General Management (Insurance)
Send PM
Hi Harsh,

after simplification of statement II we reach at Q(P+1)= perfect cube

Prime numbers P & Q are smaller than 70 so P+1 can't be more than 68 as well.

I see it like Q*(Q*Q) = Perfect cube so (P+1) = (Q*Q) and there is only one case (P = 3) below 70 where (P + 1) is a perfect square.

Q (3+1) = Q*Q*Q = 8 = 2*2*2

Hence Q = 2 and P = 3 and we have Unit Digit as 6.

answer is B

I am eager to know if I have missed some basic concept.

EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
Detailed Solution

Step-I: Given Info

We are given two prime numbers \(P, Q < 70\). We are asked to find the units digit of \(P*Q\).

Step-II: Interpreting the Question Statement

The unit’s digit of the product of \(P\) & \(Q\) would depend on the units digit of \(P\) & \(Q\). Hence, our endeavour would be to find the units digit of \(P\) & \(Q\).

Step-III: Statement-I

Statement-I tells us that the difference between two numbers is odd which would imply opposite even/odd natures of the numbers i.e. one is even and the other is odd. Since, there is only on even number (i.e. \(2\)), there are two possible scenarios:

• \(P=2\), so \(P ^{4k+2}\) will have the units digit as \(4\). As a result the units digit of \(Q\) would be \(7\). Hence units digit of product of \(P\) & \(Q\) would be \(4\)

• \(Q=2\), in such a case units digit of \(P^{4k+2}\) will be \(9\), which implies that units digit of \(P\) is either \(7\) or \(3\). Hence, units digit of product of \(P\) & \(Q\) would be either \(4\) or \(6\).

Since we do not have a unique answer, Statement-I is not sufficient to answer the question.

Step-IV: Statement-II

The expression in statement-II can be simplified to \(Q(P+1)\), since its unit digit is a perfect cube, the possible values are \(1\) and \(8\).

If unit digit is \(1\),
• Units digit of \(P\)= \(2\) and units digit of \(Q\) =\(7\), so the units digit of product of \(P\) & \(Q\) would be \(4\)

If unit digit is \(8\),two cases are possible:

• Units digit of \(Q= 2\) and units digit of \(P =3\), so the units digit of product of \(P\) & \(Q\) would be \(6\)

• Units digit of \(Q= 1\) and units digit of \(P= 7\), so the units digit of product of \(P\) & \(Q\) would be \(7\)

Since we do not have a unique answer, Statement-II is not sufficient to answer the question

Step-V: Combining Statements I & II

Statement-I tells us that the units digit of \(P\) & \(Q\) can be \(4\) or \(6\). Statement-II tells us that the units digit of \(P\) & \(Q\) can be \(4\) or \(6\) or \(7\).
By Combining statements- I & II, we still do not have a unique answer.

Thus combination of St-I & II is also insufficient to answer the question.
Hence, the correct answer is Option E

Key Takeaways

1. Know the properties of Even-Odd combinations to save the time spent deriving them in the test
2. In even-odd questions, simplify complex expressions into simpler expressions using the properties of even-odd combinations
3. Know the cyclicity of the numbers to arrive at their units digit

Regards
Harsh
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16833 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
annusngh wrote:
Hi Harsh,

after simplification of statement II we reach at Q(P+1)= perfect cube

Prime numbers P & Q are smaller than 70 so P+1 can't be more than 68 as well.

I see it like Q*(Q*Q) = Perfect cube so (P+1) = (Q*Q) and there is only one case (P = 3) below 70 where (P + 1) is a perfect square.

Q (3+1) = Q*Q*Q = 8 = 2*2*2

Hence Q = 2 and P = 3 and we have Unit Digit as 6.

answer is B

I am eager to know if I have missed some basic concept.

Hey Annu,

I think you did not read the Second statement correctly.

It clearly states that the Units digit of the expression \([PQ+Q∗(Q+1)−Q^2]\) is a perfect cube"

After simplification once you got \(Q*(P+1)\), you assumed this expression to be a perfect cube, which is incorrect!

What you needed to do was assume the units digit of expression to be a perfect cube and the possible values would have been 1 and 8.

I would request you to try the question again and even go through the solution once. In case you still have any doubts, do post it here. :)

Thanks,
Saquib
Quant Expert
e-GMAT

Register for our Free Session on Number Properties (held every 3rd week) to solve exciting 700+ Level Questions in a classroom environment under the real-time guidance of our Experts :)

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
is there any way to solve any high-level problems in less than 3 minutes?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Excuse me, but I don't think this question is properly designed.
Statement 1, is
"1) Units’ digit of (P^4k+2)−Q is equal to 7, where k is a positive integer."
If P and Q are prime numbers less than 70, they both have to be positive, and one of them has to be equal to 2. You can derive from Statement 1, if the result is odd having a 7 as a units digit, either P or Q is even. And, if P and Q are prime, either of them can be number 2.
If you plug in the 2 in that expression, :
a. If Q is 2, Then P must be 3 to the power of 2., and yields k equal to zero, which CAN NOT be, since k is positive according to St1. So Q can never be number 2.
b. Hence, P is equal to 2. If you plug in the 2 as P in the expression, you can subtract a prime number Q, from any number ending in 4 in the units digit place (64,1024, etc), which leaves Q as being possibly 7,17,37, 47 or 67. In either case, u are able to answer the main question, "What is the units digit of P*Q?", so it's sufficient A.
The units digit of P*Q is 4., since P=2, and Q ends in 7, no matter the other digits in it.

If you analyze separately St2, "Units digit of the expression [Q(P+1)] is a perfect cube", it's insufficient. At this moment, you this should be over, but If you analyze it in light of St1, you arrive to: Q(P+1)=Q*3=XXX8, which means Q can be either 6,16, 26, but you know it ends with 6, and since P is 2, you know The units digit of P*Q is 2, which contradicts info gathered from St1.
Both Statements should always share TRUE information, no matter if it's sufficient or not.
This is just mind blowing for me. I 've read that the GMAT statements ARE ALWAYS TRUE, and in this question they do not complement each other.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Hi Harsh!

In statment two you offer Q=1 P=7 as a solution yielding a units number 8 since 1(7+1)=8. The information given in the prompt states that both P and Q are prime and 1 is not a prime number, thus 8 expressed in the form 8*1 or 1*8 is not possible altogether in this question.

On a second note, I think there is also the case where 0 is a perfect cube, even though considering would only increase the number of possibilities.

Regards!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Statement 1 : Let k=1 then P^6-Q unit digit to be 7 we have two values of P and applying Q same in both the cases
So P=13 and Q=2 gives the unit digit 7 and P=23 and Q=2 will also give 7 as a unit digit
Not sufficient

Statement 2 : P*Q-Q unit digit is a perfect cube so the possible value for the perfect cube are 1,8
Insufficient as there will be two possible values of P and Q

Combining 1 and 2
P=23 and Q=2 will satisfy both the statements so it will be a possible value hence P*Q=46

Ans: C

Sent from my HTC Desire 816G dual sim using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hi Harsh,

I think you should eliminate one possibility in the first statement, p can't be 2, since it says k is a positive integer.

Am I right?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Hi Bunuel,

Please provide a quickest method to solve the problem. It tool 10 minutes to solve the problem.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
nilboy wrote:
St 1- Units’ digit of (P4k+2−Q) is equal to 7, where k is a positive integer.
Diff of P&Q is odd. So either of them should be even. So only prime which is even is 2. So Q-2 and To get the diff. 7, P should be 3 as power of 3 in the form of (4k+2) results the unit digit into 9 and 9-2=7.
So P=3 and Q=2. Ans-Sufficient.

St-2-Units digit of the expression [PQ+Q∗(Q+1)−Q2] is a perfect cube.
Expression modified to (PQ+Q)...
The only unit digit which is perfect cube is 8.
Could not solve hereafter, please help.

You missed 1 mate! Always think of the edge cases in such questions.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Math Expert
92912 posts