Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:04 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1622 [402]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618649 [211]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64887 [50]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [37]
Given Kudos: 20
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: A bus from city M is traveling to city N at a constant speed while ano [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hmmm I did this question a while ago and got it wrong so trying again :)

Rate x time = distance.
For the initial trip lets the distance to the midpoint be represented by P.
EQN1: R x 2 = P

For the second trip we know one bus left late and one left early. Together this is just a tricky way of saying one bus left an hour after the other. We know the total trip takes 4 hours (since getting to P is 2 hours). The second trip can be represented by:

Since the trip takes 4 hours if a bus leaves one hour early, the reminaining 3 hours are split between the two buses, ie. 1 + 3/2 = 2.5
EQN2: R x 2.5 = P + 24

EQN2-EQN1 : 0.5R=24
R=48

So the distance is rate x time = 48 x 4 = 192.
ANS = E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4074 [24]
Given Kudos: 18
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Re: A bus from city M is traveling to city N at a constant speed while ano [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Normally I goof up with distance-speed probs, but got this one right.

here, B1 and B2 are coming towards each other at the same speed, so when they meet they MUST have traveled the same distance.
in 2 hours B1 has traveled 2S miles ( let S be the speed )
so, B2 has also traveled 2S miles

So we have a line segment MN having a distance 4S and PM=MN = 2S. Divide this line segment into four parts with each having distance S.

Okay, for the second trip the total time delay is 60 mins=1 hour. Suppose B2(at N) starts early. In this one hour B2 has traveled S miles. At this time B1 will start and both buses will meet at a point which is halfway of the remaining distance(3S) = 3S/2.

Now, 2S (which represents PM) - 3S/2 (second trip's halfway meeting point) = 12 => S=48.
So, total distance = 4S = 4*48 = 192.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1622 [21]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
kalpeshchopada7 wrote:
I am not sure if I am right, but my ans differs from the 2 posted earlier. I think the distance between M and N should be 96.

Facts given: Both buses travel at the same speed. When they leave at exactly same time from M and N respectively, they meet at P in 2 hours. This means the total journey should be taking 4 hours for both of them individually.

Now, one bus leaves 36 min earlier and other one is delayed by 24 min, there is a total gap of 60 min or 1 hour between the two buses. If their meeting point is now shifted by 24 miles, it means their respective speeds are 24 miles an hour. This drives me to a conclusion that the totla distance between M and N should be 4 * 24 = 96 miles.

Please correct me if i'm wrong!!

Dear Economist and yangsta8, thanks for the new approaches... i still am spinning though ;)
kalpesh, following is the official explanation which I spent some time to understand (24miles in 30mins):

(I didn't know that these questions have their own thread, sorry for repost)
gmat-diagnostic-test-question-79354.html
The buses travel at the same constant speed. It would take one bus to travel 4 hours to cover the distance between the cities M and N (two buses drove for 2 hours each). We need to find the speed of the bus. If the first bus was delayed by 24 minutes and the second one left 36 minutes earlier, it makes the second bus \(24+36=60\) minutes ahead of the first bus.

The meeting point was 24 miles away on this second day. We know the distance difference between the two meeting points, but we also need to find difference in time those 24 miles were covered. If the second bus drove for 1 hour before the first one departed, each of them had to go for another 1.5 hour to meet (1.5 hour + 1.5 hour + 1 hour). The second bus traveled for 2.5 hours and the first one for 1.5 hour. Therefore the meeting point on the second day was 30 minutes away from that of the previous day.

So the second bus covered 24 miles in 30 minutes, which gives us the speed of the bus, 48 mph. We can calculate the distance as we already know the speed:

\(4*48=192\) miles.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 508 [21]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Supply Chain, Logistics
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Fro those of you who are dependent on MGMAT RTD chart (as i am) can try the following:
From the attached chart#2
P=R(T+3/5)-24
P=R(T-2/5)+24
Therefore, R(T+3/5)-24=R(T-2/5)+24
Solving for R, we get Rate=48 m/h
Plug in value in Chart#1: p=96
So, D=192
Attachments

RTD.gif
RTD.gif [ 3.18 KiB | Viewed 96565 times ]

General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CA - India
Own Kudos [?]: 1305 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
Schools:ISB - Hyderabad, NSU - Singapore
Send PM
Kudos
I am not sure if I am right, but my ans differs from the 2 posted earlier. I think the distance between M and N should be 96.

Facts given: Both buses travel at the same speed. When they leave at exactly same time from M and N respectively, they meet at P in 2 hours. This means the total journey should be taking 4 hours for both of them individually.

Now, one bus leaves 36 min earlier and other one is delayed by 24 min, there is a total gap of 60 min or 1 hour between the two buses. If their meeting point is now shifted by 24 miles, it means their respective speeds are 24 miles an hour. This drives me to a conclusion that the totla distance between M and N should be 4 * 24 = 96 miles.

Please correct me if i'm wrong!!
Own Kudos [?]: [7]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Distance between the cities \(d\).

First meeting point \(\frac{d}{2}\), as both buses travel at the same constant speed and leave the cities same time they meet at the halfway.

Total time to cover the \(d\) 4 hours, as the buses meet in 2 hours.

On the second day first bus traveled alone 1 hour (36min +24min), hence covered \(0.25d\), and \(0.75d\) is left cover.

They meet again at the halfway of \(0.75d\), which is 24 miles from \(\frac{d}{2}\):

\(\frac{d}{2}-24=\frac{0.75d}{2}\)

\(d=192\)

This is the only explanation that made sense to me! Thanks!! +1
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1172 [5]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
M----------x------ P-----(d-x)--------N

2v + 2v = d

x = 2v (they meet at halfway)

Next day they meet at x - 24 miles from city M

d/2v = 2 -> On day 1

Next day, in 1 hr, B2 travels v distance = d/4 miles, and then it travels (24 miles + d/4) from there for t hrs at speed v where it meets B1 (B1 has also traveled for t hrs by then)

(24+ d/4)/v = (d/2-24)/v

=> 48 = d/2 - d/4

=> d = 4 * 48 = 192

Answer - E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Thanks Bunuel.

Your explanation is very clear ... I also has trouble undersatnding the official answer..
Kudos to you!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [2]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
Kudos
@Bunuel - Very neat explanation. Kudos to you..!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
quite confusing question but very good explained by bynnel and karishma
thanks to both of you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT Date: 04-23-2012
Send PM
good explanation bunuel.......... thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

why do you assume -24 instead of +24?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618649 [0]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Expert Reply
T740qc wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

why do you assume -24 instead of +24?

You can derive this either my reasoning or simply by noticing that d/2>0.75d/2, so it should be d/2-24=0.75d/2 (greater value minus 24 equals to smaller value).

Hope it's clear,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [4]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GRE 1: Q800 V680
Send PM
Kudos