Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [67]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [21]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [2]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [3]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
Re: Targeted toward the crucial 18-49 demographic, each of the television [#permalink]
Kudos
Targeted toward the crucial 18-49 demographic, each of the television network’s new scripted dramas feature attractive, bankable stars both from the music and modeling industries, known more for their good looks than for their acting abilities.

A. Targeted toward the crucial 18-49 demographic, each of the television network’s new scripted dramas feature attractive, bankable stars both from the music and modeling industries, known more for their good looks than for their acting abilities. ---each of the is singular so verb should be features. Eliminate this option
B. Targeted at the crucial 18-49 demographic, each of the television network’s new scripted dramas features attractive, bankable stars from both the music and modeling industries, known more for their good looks than for their acting abilities.--S-V are in agreement. Idiom Both-And is correct.
C. Targeted at the crucial 18-49 demographic, each of the television network’s new scripted dramas features attractive, bankable stars both from the music and modeling industries, known more for their good looks than for their abilities as actors. --Sentence uses Both from X and Y. Idiom should be Both from X and from Y.
D. Targeted to the crucial 18-49 demographic, each of the television network’s new scripted dramas feature attractive, bankable stars from both the music and modeling industries, known more for their good looks than for their abilities as actors. --- Same as A. Eliminate this option.
E. Targeted to the crucial 18-49 demographic, each of the television network’s new scripted dramas features attractive, bankable stars both from the music and modeling industries, known more for their good looks than for their acting abilities.--- wrong usage of idiom. Sentence uses Both from X and Y. Idiom should be Both from X and from Y

I go for option B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 620
Send PM
Re: Targeted toward the crucial 18-49 demographic, each of the television [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
I don’t think this is a particularly difficult question, and if you’re doing it the right way, it’s a really quick and painless question. But there are some speedbumps here if you’re not focused on the right issues.

The semi-trap in this question: if you’re distracted by the idiom, you’re missing the point. In real life, I don’t know anybody – including any of my friends who are native English speakers and/or professional editors – who knows or cares whether the correct idiom is “targeted toward”, “targeted to”, “targeted at”, or “targeted on.” It’s a dumb thing for the GMAT to test, in my opinion. But the GMAT doesn't care what I think. :)

More importantly: if you see an idiom split and you’re not 100% sure what the right idiom is, look for other stuff. Sure, sometimes there’s no way to escape the idiom. But if they give you an opportunity to “work around” the idiom, please take it. (More on idioms -- and why they might not be worth studying -- in this article.)

And there’s another potential distraction here: the word “their” looks ambiguous, since it could refer to “industries” or “stars” – and since “industries” is the most recent plural noun, the pronoun doesn’t look ideal. But pronoun ambiguity isn’t ALWAYS wrong on the GMAT: click here for an old thread on this topic, click here for an official example of acceptable pronoun ambiguity -- and we also covered this issue in a YouTube video.

And in this situation, the pronoun is irrelevant, anyway: “their” appears in all five answer choices, in exactly the same place.

Bottom line: if you didn’t get sidetracked by the pronouns or idiom, you win.
Quote:
A. Targeted toward the crucial 18-49 demographic, each of the television network’s new scripted dramas feature attractive, bankable stars both from the music and modeling industries, known more for their good looks than for their acting abilities.

“Each” is singular, so “each… feature” is wrong. Plus, “both from… and modeling” is not parallel. We don’t even need to think about the idiom or the pronouns. Eliminate (A).

Quote:
B. Targeted at the crucial 18-49 demographic, each of the television network’s new scripted dramas features attractive, bankable stars from both the music and modeling industries, known more for their good looks than for their acting abilities.

Both the parallelism and subject-verb agreement look good here. Let’s keep (B).

Quote:
C. Targeted at the crucial 18-49 demographic, each of the television network’s new scripted dramas features attractive, bankable stars both from the music and modeling industries, known more for their good looks than for their abilities as actors.

Subject-verb is fine here, but the parallelism error is the same as in (A). We can still ignore the idiom and the pronouns. Eliminate (C).

Quote:
D. Targeted to the crucial 18-49 demographic, each of the television network’s new scripted dramas feature attractive, bankable stars from both the music and modeling industries, known more for their good looks than for their abilities as actors.

The parallelism is acceptable here, but “each… feature” doesn’t work. And we still have no reason to worry about the idiom. (D) is gone.

Quote:
E. Targeted to the crucial 18-49 demographic, each of the television network’s new scripted dramas features attractive, bankable stars both from the music and modeling industries, known more for their good looks than for their acting abilities.

Parallelism error again, so (E) is gone, and (B) is our winner.

Hi GMATNinja

I have one small query.
Can you please enlightened me that -> what is their in the line "known more for their good looks than for their acting abilities" is pointing to?
although every option is same in this aspect, but just for my clarity i would like to know why we don't have an ambiguity as their can point to starts as well as industries........
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
pratik521992 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja

I have one small query.
Can you please enlightened me that -> what is their in the line "known more for their good looks than for their acting abilities" is pointing to?
although every option is same in this aspect, but just for my clarity i would like to know why we don't have an ambiguity as their can point to starts as well as industries........

The important thing to keep in mind is that pronoun ambiguity isn't an absolute rule on the GMAT. (More on that in this video.) Sure, if the ONLY difference between two answer choices is that one has an ambiguous pronoun and the other does not, then you'd obviously prefer the answer choice without pronoun ambiguity. But in plenty of official questions, the correct answer might technically have some pronoun ambiguity -- it's just that the other answer choices would have WORSE errors in that scenario.

In this particular question, the pronouns are the same in all answer choices, so they're an absolute non-issue.

I hope this helps!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
'Their' is no issue at all about ambiguity between the stars and industries since we expect neither good looks nor acting abilities from the industries.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 543 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
Targeted toward the crucial 18-49 demographic, each of the television network’s new scripted dramas feature attractive, bankable stars both from the music and modeling industries, known more for their good looks than for their acting abilities.

A. Targeted toward the crucial 18-49 demographic, each of the television network’s new scripted dramas feature attractive, bankable stars both from the music and modeling industries, known more for their good looks than for their acting abilities.
B. Targeted at the crucial 18-49 demographic, each of the television network’s new scripted dramas features attractive, bankable stars from both the music and modeling industries, known more for their good looks than for their acting abilities. --> correct
C. Targeted at the crucial 18-49 demographic, each of the television network’s new scripted dramas features attractive, bankable stars both from the music and modeling industries, known more for their good looks than for their abilities as actors.
D. Targeted to the crucial 18-49 demographic, each of the television network’s new scripted dramas feature attractive, bankable stars from both the music and modeling industries, known more for their good looks than for their abilities as actors.
E. Targeted to the crucial 18-49 demographic, each of the television network’s new scripted dramas features attractive, bankable stars both from the music and modeling industries, known more for their good looks than for their acting abilities.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 212
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Health Care)
Send PM
Targeted toward the crucial 18-49 demographic, each of the television [#permalink]
first understanding the meaning of the sentence..while going through found the SV flaw..

finding out the SV agreement flaw..
options A and D are gone..

looking into B,C and E.

the major difference we found is parallelism error.
should be "from both A and B" or "both from A and from B"
so C and E are ruled out..

B is the choice
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja daagh souvik101990

Meaning wise - keeping aside the parallelism error

"..stars both from the music and modeling industries.."

doesn't it mean that -> both the stars are from the mentioned industries?
(also implying that we are talking about two stars)

whereas,
"stars from both the music and modeling industries"
is more clear in terms of saying that the drama features stars from both the industries.

Is this interpretation correct? Isn't there a slight difference in the meaning?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
akshay88 wrote:
GMATNinja daagh souvik101990

Meaning wise - keeping aside the parallelism error

"..stars both from the music and modeling industries.."

doesn't it mean that -> both the stars are from the mentioned industries?
(also implying that we are talking about two stars)

whereas,
"stars from both the music and modeling industries"
is more clear in terms of saying that the drama features stars from both the industries.

Is this interpretation correct? Isn't there a slight difference in the meaning?

Yes, the phrase "stars both from the music and modeling industries" could imply that we are talking about two stars, both of whom are from the music and modeling industries (though you'd probably want to put a comma before the "both" to make that interpretation more clear).

As you said, "stars from both the music and modeling industries" makes more sense in this case, because it clearly implies that the drama features stars from both industries.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
GMATNinja

Between attractive and bankable "and" should be used right as both are representing stars

Kindly explain

Regards,
Sai Teja

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GPA: 3
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM

A. Targeted toward the crucial 18-49 demographic, each of the television network’s new scripted dramas feature attractive, bankable stars both from the music and modeling industries, known more for their good looks than for their acting abilities. - each conveys singular noun, so feature must be features

B. Targeted at the crucial 18-49 demographic, each of the television network’s new scripted dramas features attractive, bankable stars from both the music and modeling industries, known more for their good looks than for their acting abilities.

C. Targeted at the crucial 18-49 demographic, each of the television network’s new scripted dramas features attractive, bankable stars both from the music and modeling industries, known more for their good looks than for their abilities as actors. - Parallelism issue: both from X and from Y

D. Targeted to the crucial 18-49 demographic, each of the television network’s new scripted dramas feature attractive, bankable stars from both the music and modeling industries, known more for their good looks than for their abilities as actors. - each conveys singular noun, so feature must be features

E. Targeted to the crucial 18-49 demographic, each of the television network’s new scripted dramas features attractive, bankable stars both from the music and modeling industries, known more for their good looks than for their acting abilities. - Parallelism issue: both from X and from Y

IMO B
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Saitejanukala wrote:
GMATNinja

Between attractive and bankable "and" should be used right as both are representing stars

Kindly explain

Regards,
Sai Teja

Posted from my mobile device

The "and" is not strictly required, and it's perfectly fine to separate the two adjectives with only a comma in this case.

When "and" IS used, you of course want to carefully check the parallelism. But the GMAT is fairly lenient when it comes to comma usage, so it's best to be conservative and look for better decision points.

For an example of an OA that omits the "and" in a parallel list, check out this question (and our ensuing explanation).

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 336
Schools: ISB '23 (S)
GMAT 1: 560 Q43 V23
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
GMATNinja

Greetings!

In this question, I want to know what is the role of "known more for their good looks than for their acting abilities"

Is this acting as a modifier? What part of a sentence is this? What is the role of the comma before known? Here clearly it looks like "known more for their good looks than for their acting abilities" is providing more information about the actors. But I want to know if this Is working in a similar way as the ", + ing" modifier which modifies the entire clause. How do I make sure that the modifier is modifying just the object and not the entire clause?

Also, another thing I want to know is how to train myself to spot just the right things to solve the sentence correction questions. When I read your explanations it looks like these are most of the things I have already learned but that's not what is my default way of solving? How do I train myself to spot just the right things
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
sonalchhajed2019 wrote:
GMATNinja

Greetings!

In this question, I want to know what is the role of "known more for their good looks than for their acting abilities"

Is this acting as a modifier? What part of a sentence is this? What is the role of the comma before known? Here clearly it looks like "known more for their good looks than for their acting abilities" is providing more information about the actors. But I want to know if this Is working in a similar way as the ", + ing" modifier which modifies the entire clause. How do I make sure that the modifier is modifying just the object and not the entire clause?

You understood this perfectly. "Known more for their good looks..." is describing the "stars." The comma is simply telling the reader that this information isn't crucial to the meaning of the sentence. It's more of an aside.

The more challenging question is: how do we know this? First, while you're right that "-ing" modifiers tend to describe the entire clause when they follow a comma and a clause, other modifiers don't have to operate that way. After all, a person is more likely to be "known" than an action.

Also, if you catch the possessive pronoun "their" you'll see that this modifier pretty much has to be describing the referent for that pronoun. So context tells us what the modifier is doing.

Last, all of the answer choices have "known for..." in the same place in the sentence, so even if you had doubts about the modifier, you know it can't possibly be wrong!

Quote:
Also, another thing I want to know is how to train myself to spot just the right things to solve the sentence correction questions. When I read your explanations it looks like these are most of the things I have already learned but that's not what is my default way of solving? How do I train myself to spot just the right things

This is a big question. First, know that there aren't necessarily "right" things to spot in a sentence. Any given sentence could have multiple elements that are incorrect or worth analyzing. The "right" one is sometimes simply the one you notice and feel confident about.

But as you probably know by now, there are classic triggers you should recognize whenever you see them, since they appear frequently on SC questions. It might be worth checking out our SC for beginners and our video series to see how we tend to think about setting priorities on SC.

I hope that helps a bit!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:

Toward would have been more accurate usage of idiom therefore out

The idiomatic usage and meaning is perfect therefore let us hang on to it

as actors in the end isn't required since the comparison is perfect without it

Similar reasoning as C

idiomatic usage of at is far better therefore out

Therefore IMO B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
"A missile might be targeted at the enemy, but marketing campaigns are generally targeted to certain groups of consumers."

Here the group is identified as single demographic point (possibly on a graph). Looks like only B and C remains with this logic.

correct me if I am wrong.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts