It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 20:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Traditionally, public school instructors

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 57

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Traditionally, public school instructors [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2015, 21:57
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (01:25) correct 21% (01:33) wrong based on 226 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Traditionally, public school instructors have been compensated according to
seniority. Recently, educational experts have criticized the system as one that
rewards lackadaisical teaching and reduces motivation to excel. Instead, these
experts argue that, to retain exceptional teachers and maintain quality instruction,
teachers should receive salaries or bonuses based on performance rather
than seniority.

Which of the following, if true, most weakens the argument of the educational
experts?

(A) Some teachers express that financial compensation is not the only factor
contributing to job satisfaction and teaching performance.

(B) School districts will develop their own unique compensation structures that
may differ greatly from those of other school districts.

(C) Upon leaving the teaching profession, many young, effective teachers cite a
lack of opportunity for more rapid financial advancement as a primary factor
in the decision to change careers.

(D) In school districts that have implemented pay for performance compensation
structures, standardized test scores have dramatically increased.

(E) A merit-based system that bases compensation on teacher performance
reduces collaboration, which is an integral component of quality instruction.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Apoorv

I realize that i cannot change the world....But i can play a part :)

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 278 [4], given: 9

Re: Traditionally, public school instructors [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2015, 14:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
In weaken critical reasoning questions, it is helpful to predict what a correct answer will look like if possible. This is not always easy in strengthen/weaken critical reasoning questions, but doing so can help you avoid tricky trap answers so you should always try.

Here the educational experts are arguing that, in order to retain exception teachers and therefore maintain quality instruction, teachers should receive compensation based on performance and not seniority. According to them, paying teachers based on seniority encourages lackadaisical teaching and reduces motivation.

My prediction going into these answer choices was pretty vague, but essentially I was looking for a reason why changing this metric would not change, or would even hurt, the instruction. I also thought it may somehow involve the idea that low-performing teachers are weeded out early in their careers, and only the best teachers become more tenured. This didn't end up being a correct answer choice, but it is one of the thoughts that I had prior to reviewing the answer choices.

Answer choice A is irrelevant. Of course there are probably other motivations, but if financial compensation is one of the motivations then this argument is still as solid as when we started. The argument never claimed that it has to be the only motivation.

Answer choice B is out of scope. The exact structures of the different school districts don't matter. We are discussing the overarching principle, not the details.

Answer choice C strengthens, not weakens, the argument (common opposite trap answer to weaken questions).

Answer choice D also strengthens the argument by showing positive results in school districts that have taken this action, and therefore this is another trap.

Answer choice E nicely weakens the argument, and is the correct answer. It shows something that would occur that would reduce the quality of instruction if teachers were paid based on performance, and therefore weakens the argument that doing this would result in improved instruction.

I hope this helps!

Brandon
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

If you found this post helpful, please give me kudos!!! :)

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 278 [4], given: 9

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2015, 23:17
VeritasPrepBrandon wrote:
In weaken critical reasoning questions, it is helpful to predict what a correct answer will look like if possible. This is not always easy in strengthen/weaken critical reasoning questions, but doing so can help you avoid tricky trap answers so you should always try.

Here the educational experts are arguing that, in order to retain exception teachers and therefore maintain quality instruction, teachers should receive compensation based on performance and not seniority. According to them, paying teachers based on seniority encourages lackadaisical teaching and reduces motivation.

My prediction going into these answer choices was pretty vague, but essentially I was looking for a reason why changing this metric would not change, or would even hurt, the instruction. I also thought it may somehow involve the idea that low-performing teachers are weeded out early in their careers, and only the best teachers become more tenured. This didn't end up being a correct answer choice, but it is one of the thoughts that I had prior to reviewing the answer choices.

Answer choice A is irrelevant. Of course there are probably other motivations, but if financial compensation is one of the motivations then this argument is still as solid as when we started. The argument never claimed that it has to be the only motivation.

Answer choice B is out of scope. The exact structures of the different school districts don't matter. We are discussing the overarching principle, not the details.

Answer choice C strengthens, not weakens, the argument (common opposite trap answer to weaken questions).

Answer choice D also strengthens the argument by showing positive results in school districts that have taken this action, and therefore this is another trap.

Answer choice E nicely weakens the argument, and is the correct answer. It shows something that would occur that would reduce the quality of instruction if teachers were paid based on performance, and therefore weakens the argument that doing this would result in improved instruction.

I hope this helps!

Great!! Thanks for the explanation

Apoorv

I realize that i cannot change the world....But i can play a part :)

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2017, 09:44
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [1], given: 21

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2017, 20:55
This post received
KUDOS
My answer is E because collaboration relates directly to quality instruction but performance reduces collaboration ===> E is a weaken one

1 Kudo if you agree

Kudos [?]: 3 [1], given: 21

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 263

Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 02:34
Hi, I need to understand that why C is incorrect and How, as per veritas, C strengthens?

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 263

Re: Traditionally, public school instructors   [#permalink] 02 Oct 2017, 02:34

Traditionally, public school instructors

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap