GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 29 May 2020, 09:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2018 - Calling All Applicants!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 690 Q37 V48
GMAT 2: 720 Q39 V49
GPA: 3.3
Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2018 - Calling All Applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2016, 08:40
daredevil123 wrote:
I applied in the November round and haven't heard back yet.
Is it safe to assume that I have been dinged. Any insights from EA round applicants

Hello,

Since you applied in the November round, you will know your admissions decision on 2/12.

Source: Tuck website
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Differentiating Yourself as an (Indian) Applicant  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2016, 14:00
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Differentiating Yourself as an (Indian) Applicant
Much of Suds’ MBA application advice is universal, but it is perhaps most applicable to those from India. After all, Sudershan Tirumala T’10 is Associate Director of Admissions, Regional Director of India and South East Asia, and a proud Tuck alumnus, so he knows a thing or two about Indian applicants! As MBA Crystal Ball puts it, his experiences have “given him rich & unique insights about international & Indian applicants that very few (admissions officers) have.” This post was originally published there – on MBA Crystal Ball – earlier this month, January 2016. Below we’ve included an excerpt, but to read the whole post (it’s worth it!) follow this link.

By Suds Tirumala T'10 on MBA Crystal Ball

During the hundreds of conversations I’ve had with MBA applicants across the length and breadth of India, a few constants have unfailingly stood out for me:

• It’s obvious applicants want to get admitted to a brand name school. What that brand will do for them, whether it’s the right place for them, whether they will be a good fit in the program – these critical questions mostly come up by accident, if at all they do.
  • Indian applicants tend to think they’ve achieved it all, if they get a good GMAT score – which is far from the truth, by the way.
  • Consulting is, by far, the one career path Indians talk about the most. A vast majority of the applicants I’ve talked to want to be associated with consulting one way or another!

Over the next few – or however many – posts, I’ll try to debunk or reinforce the seemingly infallible logic that’s held in high esteem by the applicant community. Over time, we’ll even explore the rationale for some of these observations or maybe get into answering other questions posed by the discerning readers of this blog, but first, let’s start with the applicant story.

• The typical MBA aspirant from India who is targeting a business school, articulates a line of thought that almost uniformly sounds somewhat like this.
  • I’ve got my degree in engineering from so and so university and I’ve been an integral part of the college “tech fest” as an organizer
  • After undergrad, I’ve been working in XYZ industry in such and such capacity and have been very involved with extracurricular activities through the company’s CSR initiatives
  • I’ve set my sights on an MBA to advance my career further in the industry I’ve been a part of
  • After the MBA, I want to get into consulting in order to be exposed to best practices that are being followed across industries and projects
  • After a few years of this kind of experience, I’ll come back to India and apply these best practices to make a difference in the country and to the sector of my interest
  • And I want to make it all happen through this MBA program because of its strong alumni network, collaborative community, learning in the classroom as well as experiential learning – the works. You can basically plug and play any MBA program in the world and hope to sound somewhat authentic.

Does the above story sound familiar?

So, how do YOU differentiate YOURSELF and show us the unique person YOU are? Keep reading at MBA Crystal Ball.  
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE: Analyst (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2016, 19:06
Hi. Non-us applicant. I just received interview invite last night (my last night). Good luck guys.
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2016, 08:57
Chat will start in couple minutes. If you are around join the chat room to participate http://gmatclub.com/gchat/

Narenn wrote:
Happy 2016 to all!! Next Tuck live Q&A session is on January 20 in which Patricia Harrison - Senior Associate Director of Admissions at Tuck - will chat with prospective applicants and answer their questions about Tuck's MBA program.

TO JOIN CHAT, PLEASE GO HERE: http://gmatclub.com/chat/

Brief intro of Patricia Harrison: Pat Harrison is Senior Associate Director of Admissions, Recruiting and Enrollment at the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth. She oversees Tuck’s reading and interviewing process and focuses on the recruitment of women. She has been with Tuck since 2003. Prior to coming to Tuck, Pat was a practicing attorney in Charlotte, North Carolina. She is a graduate of Bowdoin College and the University of North Carolina School of Law.

Date: January 20, 2016
Time: 9 AM Pacific Time
Place: GMAT Club Chat Room

Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2016, 09:29
I applied for R2 and can't wait to know the final decision! How do you manage the stress of the waiting?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2016, 09:29
I applied for R2 and can't wait to know the final decision! How do you manage the stress of the waiting?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Whirlwind: Fall Term at Tuck  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2016, 10:00
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Whirlwind: Fall Term at Tuck
By Megan Farrell T'17

After finishing up my pre-term canoeing trip and orientation, I was ready to begin the school year. Meeting my study group for the first time was something I had been anxiously anticipating. Our first assignment was to act as consultants for a local nature magazine. The company was asking for a plan as to how to get its print content online. Each person in my study group was able to Image
bring a unique perspective to the project, given our diverse backgrounds and experiences. After that first “warm up” assignment, we continued to work together through Fall A on all our group assignments and case readings. The group dynamic was more than I could have hoped for and we continued to gain efficiencies and cultivate our group learning throughout Fall A, into Fall B. It was nice to have a core group of people to bounce ideas off of and to ask questions to in my first term back in school, after over five years of not being in school.

During Fall B, recruiting began to pick up and you could feel the excitement buzzing around campus. As an aspiring investment banker, I attended company briefings hosted by banks, a wine tasting event hosted by a bank and also various office hours and happy hours hosted by banks. I also attended company briefings in other industries, such as sports, tech and consulting, just to get a feel for other types of career paths. There are so many students with such a diversity of career aspirations here that the number of industries represented on campus on any given day in the fall, was astounding. It was amazing to see how excited company executives were to be at Tuck (many of which were alumni!) and how available they made themselves to Tuck students. 

There were also many exciting activities, outside of the classrooms, that I participated in during my fall term. Tripod hockey is a blast! I was a little bit nervous to play at first, because I had not skated since I was a kid, but after struggling with my classmates through “try-outs” (everyone makes it), I was hooked. I also joined the Women in Business Club and helped plan the WIB conference in October, became a member of the Tuck Asset Management Club and learned how to pitch stocks, taught lectures to the Smart Women Securities Club at the undergrad campus, participated in spin classes with the Triathlon Club, and led tours and hosted coffee chats for prospective students.

On top of academics, recruiting and extracurricular, there were also so many social events that I really felt made the fall term a great chance to bond with my classmates and the T’16s. In the fall, we had Fall Formal, a Halloween party, Wine Night, a 90s party, and more! In addition, I had the opportunity to have some smaller group dinners with my study group, hockey teammates, and WIB, which enabled me to build strong relationships with classmates.

The fall term was such an amazing experience and I was so anxious to get back this January to start the winter term (after a five-day trip to Mexico with 34 classmates)! Recruiting has really picked up and my classmates and I are looking forward to securing summer internships and then enjoying all that the winter term has to offer. From Winter Formal at Killington, to Tuck Winter Carnival, to traveling on international GIX trips in March, I can already tell that the winter term is going to rival the fall! 

Megan Farrell is from Hopkinton, MA. She graduated from the University of Notre dame in 2010 with a major in finance and a minor in theology. At Notre Dame, she was a member of the Women’s Varsity Swim Team for four years and captain of the team her senior year. During her time swimming for Notre Dame, she won four Big East Championship titles and she competed at the 2008 U.S. Olympic Team Trials. After college, she spent five years working in Boston in finance, most recently at Bain Capital for three and a half years. After Tuck, she hopes to get back into a finance role on the east coast. 
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2016, 18:54
Hi Guys, anybody have any idea about the general timelines of tuck for interview invites. The decission date for jan round is 11-mar,the earliest compared to others, and was expecting the news soon. The confusion is killing me.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GRE 1: Q170 V155
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2016, 08:42
My GMAT/GRE score is still showing 'awaiting materials, dont worry once we start processing, the status will change' ... I am a Round 2 applicant...is this unusual?!!
Should I mail Adcom? Though they specifically mentioned not to! Confused, panic stricken and plain'ol sad.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.51
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2018 - Calling All Applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2016, 10:09
Hi Guys,

Does anyone who applied in Nov round receive interview invite or final decision? Since I didn't hear anything from Tuck adcom, I am assuming a ding.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
Schools: Darden '18 (A$)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2016, 23:33
any updates guys?? about interviews?
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
WE: Business Development (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2016, 23:49
mukul0611 wrote:
Hi Guys,

Does anyone who applied in Nov round receive interview invite or final decision? Since I didn't hear anything from Tuck adcom, I am assuming a ding.

Hi, I applied in R1 too in November, When I didn't get any reply, I mailed them that If I am dinged already, They told me that the deadline is upto 12th Feb and you can be interviewed before that.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.35
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge
Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2018 - Calling All Applicants!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2016, 00:56
I believe tuck is one of the rare schools that does not necessarily require an interview for admission.
Attachments

image.png
image.png [ 149.83 KiB | Viewed 2481 times ]

MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2016, 04:14
Hi Everyone, Take a look at summary and transcript of recent live chat Tuck's Admissions Director, Patricia Harrison.

I checked on school website that teamwork and leadership are important behaviors regarded by Tuck. How these attributes evaluated by school during the application process?

Tuck_Patricia: We are able to assess your leadership and teamwork based on the roles you have held at work and in your community/extracurricular involvement, as well as from your answers to the essays and in the interview. Perhaps it would be helpful to give you an overview of how we evaluate candidates; We use a very holistic process and look at academics, work experience, leadership, involvement, interpersonal skills and diversity of experiences. No one factor is more important than another.

Do the essay questions change from year to year? When will the application for the class of 2019 be available?

Tuck_Patricia: Our essay questions have remained relatively the same over the past few years. I do not know what we will be asking next year. I would expect the new application to go live sometime this summer.

Even though Tuck does not have a specific major in marketing and adheres to a general management approach, what type of focus is put on marketing at Tuck and what response have you noticed from marketing focused students that go to Tuck?

Tuck_Patricia: We have a lot of marketing electives in the program, and students will be able to get quite a bit of exposure in the industry. Students can also do independent study to tailor the curriculum even more specifically if they like. Students interested in marketing careers do well in job placement. One of our career counselors came from a CPG background. You also have some marketing industry experts like Kevin Keller.

How many applicants does Tuck typically waitlist every year? Could you share the number for the number of applicants on the waitlist this year? Also, what is the acceptance rate off of the waitlist?

Tuck_Patricia: The number of applicants on the waitlist varies every year. I do not know how many we have on the waitlist from our Early Action round. The number admitted from the waitlist varies every year and depends on how much space we have available in the late spring/summer. It is very tied to how many admitted students enroll.

How diversity influence on candidate choice? Does any nationality have advantage of others?

Tuck_Patricia: We are looking for a diverse student body in terms of work experience, educational background, gender, ethnicity, nationality, etc. Having a wide variety of perspectives in the classroom provides a richer learning environment.

After submission of an application, lets say in R2, are there still aspects of the the application that can be updated after? for example, the GMAT score? and if so, how does that affect the application?

Tuck_Patricia: If you have a new GMAT score, promotion, or other change in your profile, please send us the update. We will do everything we can to make sure it is included in our evaluation.

As applicants, what can we do with our applications to make life in the admissions office easier for staff?

Tuck_Patricia: I am thrilled to hear you want to make our life easier! Thank you! Things like double spacing your answers, sticking with the word limits, answering all of the questions are easy ones. It is also really helpful if you are sure to address things we might have a question about, like a job gap or unusual career moves.

Do you consider the applicant-initiated interviews a significant indicator of interest to the program? Does it reflect negatively on an applicant if he/she is unable to go to an applicant initiated interview if he/she lives in the US/ in the East Coast?

Tuck_Patricia: We recognize that not everyone is able to make it to campus to interview, and that is why we still invite applicants to interview if they haven't initiated one in advance. Applicants can show their interest in Tuck in other ways too. Such as attending events hosted around the world, connecting with students and alums, doing their research on the web, etc.

Suggested length of the resume?

Tuck_Patricia: It should be one page.

Objective information such as GPA and GMAT scores provide easy comparative material from one applicant to another. What are some concrete elements that separate applicants in the more subjective essay and letters of recommendation?

Tuck_Patricia: It's hard to give concrete examples of the subjective elements that separate applicants because those are going to be different for every applicant. We want to see people who are self aware, who have a good sense of their future plans and how an MBA from Tuck fits into them. We like to see people who have made an impact at work, school and/or their community. We are looking for people who are excited about Tuck and looking forward to engaging with the community, getting involved, learning from others and sharing their own experiences.

how many veterans on average are in a typical MBA class? Do you see many challenges with veterans transitioning from the military to the business world through an MBA program like Tuck? Are there any special recommendations you would make to a veteran looking to apply to Tuck's MBA program?

Tuck_Patricia: We tend to have around 15 veterans per class. We find that our veteran students do extremely well at Tuck, and the supportive close-knit community really helps with the transition to civilian life. Tuck is very supportive through the Yellow Ribbon program, and an active veterans club. We also host a Veterans visit day each spring.

What is the deadline for interviews by invitation?

Tuck_Patricia: We do not have an invitational interview deadline. Invites can go out at any time up to the decision date.

Current MBB looking to go into a start-up, what types of resources (faculty, centers, etc.) does tuck have as it relates to entrepreneurship?

Tuck_Patricia: Tuck's Entrepreneurship Initiative and the Dartmouth Entrepreneurial Network provide lots of resources for students including electives, mentorship, speakers series, a business incubator. Students can get an early start on starting a business during the First Year Project which can be either a consulting project for an existing company, or an e'ship project.

What is the grading policy like? Is there a grade non-disclosure policy?

Tuck_Patricia: We have a non-disclosure policy. Grading is honors, pass, low-pass and fail. We do not calculate GPA or rank.

I plan to pursue a Healthcare pathway and was wondering if and how the Tuck program partners with the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center?

Tuck_Patricia: If you are looking at healthcare, please explore Tuck's Healthcare Initiative. Tuck partners with DHMC, as well as the medical school, the Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and the engineering school. In the past, students have done first year projects and independent study with the hospital.

Does Tuck's location make it difficult for on-campus recruiting or getting to interviews?

Tuck_Patricia: The location does not negatively impact recruiting. Our placement stats clearly show that Tuck students are in demand and recruiters make the effort to get up here. Once they are here, they are a captive audience. They stay longer on campus and don't have other distractions while they are in town. So a trip to Hanover will also include taking small groups of students to lunch or dinner, networking over office hours. You get much more personal access to recruiters and execs when they come up. We also facilitate opportunities for students to network with recruiters off-campus with treks for particular industries or to particular locations.

As someone who is going to be interviewing on-campus in a couple of days...any advice for the campus interview?

Tuck_Patricia: Be yourself. It is not meant to be a high pressure interview. We want to have a conversation to learn more about you and vice-versa. Be sure to prepare by thinking about the kinds of questions you are likely going to get and have an answer with an illustrative anecdote ready for each.

I'm a non-us applicant and couldn't find a interview slot in India. Will tuck invite for Skype interview?

Tuck_Patricia: We do not offer applicant-initiated interviews in any locations other than on-campus. If you are not able to come to Hanover, we switch to an invitational policy. Invitational interviews are on campus, with a remote admissions representative or via Skype.

Does round of application affect chances of success? Is it better apply for the school on first round than last one?

Tuck_Patricia: You should apply when you are ready and have the strongest application possible. Rushing to get it in an earlier round won't help if it isn't the best you can put forward. That said, once you are good to go, the earlier the better. I have 280 seats available in October, and each round I have fewer available to offer. We do not have a set number of offers to make in each round. We are looking for the strongest applicants and if we see them early, we are going to admit them then. The last round tends to be the most competitive, but if you are a strong applicant, you are still able to get in.

Patricia, what would you say you have observed in your time at Tuck as the number one thing that sets the type of student at Tuck apart that draws them into the smaller tight-knit atmosphere versus say a Harvard or Kellogg size program?

Tuck_Patricia: I think what sets Tuck apart is the supportive community. That community is the result of a lot of factors: the small student body where you will get to know everyone in your class; the residential program where everyone lives on campus or very nearby, meaning people are together all day and into the evening.

Do we need to use the optional essay to explain the reason/motivation for applying in round 3 and could you please share some insight on the acceptance rate for the last round applicants?

Tuck_Patricia: If you want to provide an optional essay on why you have applied in the April round, that can sometimes be helpful. I don't have an acceptance rate to share because it differs every year.

I have read quite a few good things about the TuckGO program. However, I found the experience specific to business/geography. Do the students get a chance to learn in and interact with the various cultures, essentially more than one, while studying at Tuck?

Tuck_Patricia: You absolutely get the opportunity to interact with a variety of cultures. The student body is 1/3 international, and the living and learning environment at Tuck facilitates the opportunity to really get to know your fellow classmates from around the world quite well. Classes include international cases and topics. There are multiple opportunities for travel. You are not limited to just one GO experience.

Do most graduates end up in a certain area/region, or is there a wide geographic dispersion post-graduation?

Tuck_Patricia: Our graduates are not limited to a particular geographic area. A large number do go to New York and Boston, but we sent 20% or more to the west coast last year and others go elsewhere in the US and the world.

Are the applicant initiated interviews weighed or evaluated differently than the invitational interviews?

Tuck_Patricia: Applicant-initiated and invitational interviews are evaluated equally.

I am waitlisted for an interview next week. Should I go to New Hampshire regardless of whether I am notified that I am scheduled?

Tuck_Patricia: Please do not come up to campus if you are only on the waitlist for an interview. We have a limited number of people we can accommodate each day.

It is wellknown that Tuck attracts a lot of Indian applicants with engineering backgrounds and IT professionals... what are the differentiating elements Tuck is looking for in such a cliched profile?

Tuck_Patricia: Applicants are much more than just their job title. Several applicants may have similar jobs but the experiences in them and other life experiences are different. Every applicant should talk about what makes them unique, what they will contribute to Tuck.

Patricia, you told about strong profile. Could you say in few words what makes a strong candidate for Tuck?

Tuck_Patricia: A strong candidate is different for every student. People shine for different reasons and strengths in one area(s) can balance out weaknesses in another. As I mentioned above, we want people who are self-aware, know where they are going. We are looking for people who are going to be team oriented, and looking to learn from their classmates and share their own experiences.

Chat Transcript
Attachment:
Tuck Admissions Chat 20th Jan 16.pdf [835.69 KiB]
Downloaded 28 times
To download please login or register as a user

Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2016, 05:43
This is strange of Tuck

November round - decission deadline: 12-Feb
January round - decission deadline: 11-Mar

I wonder if they are evaluating the applicants from 2 rounds together.!!
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Darden '18 (M$)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2016, 06:10
rakshithbabu wrote:
This is strange of Tuck

November round - decission deadline: 12-Feb
January round - decission deadline: 11-Mar

I wonder if they are evaluating the applicants from 2 rounds together.!!

Has it always been Feb 12th?? I thougth it was Feb 2nd all the way. It says Feb 2nd on ths first page of this thread as well!?
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2016, 06:19
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Darden '18 (M$)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2016, 06:22
rakshithbabu wrote:
http://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/admissions/important-dates

Tuck's site says 2/12/16

I know, I checked that too but I've thought it was 2nd..
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2016, 07:29
optimusTR wrote:
rakshithbabu wrote:
http://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/admissions/important-dates

Tuck's site says 2/12/16

I know, I checked that too but I've thought it was 2nd..

Back in August/September, I wrote down the decision release dates of all the rounds for all the schools I applied to. I have Feb. 12th for te Nov. round (R1) applicants. It must be a mistake on the front page of this thread, and you might be remembering the date from here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
CDO Weighs In: Entrepreneurship in Action at Tuck & Dartmouth  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2016, 09:00
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: CDO Weighs In: Entrepreneurship in Action at Tuck & Dartmouth
ImageImage
Joaquin Villarreal T’08 is executive director of the Entrepreneurship Initiative at Tuck. Mathias Machado T’09 is an associate director of the Career Development Office.

Q: What entrepreneurial resources are available at Tuck?

JV: The support we provide to entrepreneurs really mimics the support provided to any other career path here.

MM: We support entrepreneurs in different ways—for example, there’s a difference between wanting to work at a startup and wanting to work on your own startup. If you want to go work at a startup, there’s funding we provide for summer internships. Every year, we partially fund approximately six summer interns who want the experience of working at a startup.

JV: Also, we want aspiring entrepreneurs to know that if they can’t find a resource, knock on our door and ask us. We probably already have something for your needs but if we don’t, we can most likely come up with it.

MM: Do you have a good example of that happening?

JV: Social entrepreneurship has been particularly popular in the last few months. It kind of falls between the Entrepreneurship Initiative and the Center for Business & Society. When someone comes to us and wants help, we get together with the folks at the other centers and talk about how we can specifically support them.

MM: There’s also the helpfulness of alumni, right? The Tuck network—from people here now to those who have already graduated—wants to help. It’s just a matter of getting pointed in the right direction.

JV: If you remember one thing, it’s this: a good place to start is with the Entrepreneurship Initiative. We’ll do our best to lead you to a tree of possibilities.

MM: I hear that there’s a new program, too, right?

JV: We are piloting a mentorship program that involves alumni from Tuck, Thayer, and Dartmouth in general. It’s called Dartmouth Entrepreneurial Network Access (DENA). We’ve created this whole online system where people can access advice on specific items on entrepreneurship and related skills. 

MM: That’s exciting.

JV: It’s really a new paradigm of providing mentorship. Until we launched, students were limited geographically—you knock on someone’s door and that’s your mentor. Students can still do that but they also have a new option to access resources across the country or world. It’s all about leveraging the relatively small but very effective global Dartmouth network.

Q: Do you have examples of entrepreneurs in action at Tuck and Dartmouth?

JV: There are a ton of cool ventures that students have used to experiment, which is great, because you learn as much in failing as in succeeding. Two recent successfully launched ventures that come to mind are Latitude six-six, which is a very cool adventure travel company started by two T’14s, Sam Alexander and Jordan Melcon, with an important social impact side to it. The second one is The Box Food Truck. Eric Winn D’04, T’14 and Mike Parshley T’14 crafted their business model around including undergraduates to work with them. They’re able to teach undergrads some of the management skills they learned here at Tuck.

MM: That’s great that undergrads can get a feel for what it’s like to work at a startup.

JV: That’s so important: to really know what it’s like, you have to be in one or start one. That’s the core of entrepreneurship learning.

MM: The Career Development Office actually provides the chance to work at a startup with the Maynard Entrepreneurial Internship Program. That’s a great excuse for students to devote their summers to working at a startup.

JV: Definitely. Without the risk of being a founder, students can learn what the startup environment is like while receiving a salary.

MM: Plus, students who have their own ideas have a little time to work on their own startup as well. The entrepreneurial path is set up in such a way that if you come in with an idea, you can really solidify the business plan behind it during your first year.

JV: It starts with a course called "Entrepreneurial Thinking" and then goes into the First-Year Project. Then, there’s a whole path of courses.

MM: You can basically iterate on your idea working with other team members that are part of the MBA curriculum. Plus, there are the incubators.

JV: The summer incubator is called the Summer Startup Award and then there’s the campus-wide incubator, which is year-round. It started just being Tuck and Thayer, but now we’re integrating with the Dartmouth Entrepreneurial Network (DEN) for a truly cross-school program. It will be really cool to see the first test run of our campus-wide incubator.

Main photo: The Box Food Truck on its opening day. Photo taken by Laura DeCapua.
GMAT Club Bot
CDO Weighs In: Entrepreneurship in Action at Tuck & Dartmouth   [#permalink] 25 Jan 2016, 09:00

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  24   25   26   27   28   29   30  ...  41    Next  [ 819 posts ] 

Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2018 - Calling All Applicants!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: texas101, BingingOnNetflix