Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:19 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

UNC ($66K) vs Cornell ($ WL) - for Investment Banking

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: UNC ($66K) vs Cornell ($ WL) -- for Investment Banking [#permalink]
Thank you, Regenerate

So, per the Financial Aid Consideration Curve, I need a full ride at UNC to forego Cornell?

Regenerate wrote:
ar07 wrote:
I am an Indian with ~5 years of Indian investment banking experience. Looking for US investment banking roles post-MBA.

UNC pros and IB stats:
- Scholarship (~50% of tuition)
- Less competition for IB roles
- # IB offers: ~30/Class of 280-300 (success rate: ~90%, that is, 30 out of 33-35 seeking got the offer)

UNC cons:
- Regional brand
- Not a target school for certain banks

Cornell pros and IB stats:
- T15 + Ivy + bigger brand
- Gets more looks on the Street
- # IB offers: ~60/Class of ~300 (success rate: ~80%, 55-60 out of 70 seeking got the offer)

Cornell cons:
- Positioned as a banking school, thus stiff competition
- No scholarship as yet
- Cost $90K extra

So as I see, apart from the brand advantage, no additional benefit from Cornell. So, is it really wise to spend $90K extra just to get the brand name?

1) As a future banker, you've got to consider your ROI ... denominators vs. numerators ... and when the smaller number is on the bottom, it's easier to end up with a higher % return. Now, maybe the total $$ return is lower ... I'm not convinced that this is the case ... ESPECIALLY if you live in the mid-atlantic / southeast US. Now, if you want to end up in the NE somewhere, yes, Cornell could be a great idea. I live in the midwest, and I cannot imagine too many people out here would really make a HUGE difference between the two. In fact, a 13-20 ranking for Johnson in most every ranking system and a 18-25 ranking for KF in most every ranking system really isn't THAT big of a deal (imho).

2) The two links in my signature block below might help. :)
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
UNC ($66K) vs Cornell ($ WL) -- for Investment Banking [#permalink]
Kudos
Short answer ... yes.

Longer answer ... we're hopefully rolling out an update to the GMATClub MBA ranking (which might impact the tiers and the curve). So, if you need an immediate answer, go with what is available. If you can wait a bit, we might have new info.

Nuanced answer ... your personal situation could easily skew the matrix ... maybe you're very debt conscious ... maybe you only get the promotion you want with an IVY MBA ... maybe you get the promotion you want with any MBA regardless of where it's from ... etc ...

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Kudos
It's a no-brainer in favor of UNC if you ask me; UNC with $$$ > Cornell without $$$;

IMO - only the Cornell brand is better. Is it worth the extra cost? I don't think so. Try to negotiate for $$$ at Cornell. If you get it, then it is an easy call.

Also, I'm hearing that your prospective peers at UNC KF this year, especially your fellow countrymen recruiting for finance, are superb people. So take the $$$! And let's rock it at Baity Hill. Lol!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [2]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V53
GRE 1: Q160 V160
Kudos
IB is actually one of UNC's major strengths alongside Healthcare and Real Estate. I would not underestimate UNC's ability to place you in IB even in the North East. Look at their employment report and see where grads go. Sure it is "regional" (I disagree) but they place grads all over and it is not as regional as people think it is. Charlotte is also a major finance hub in the US. UNC also has a student managed fund that is unique among the T20's. Cornell is fantastic, don't get me wrong here, but with scholarship money at UNC, and the ranking gap not being that off, I don't think Cornell is worth 65K more at all. Plus Chapel Hill > Ithaca! Goodluck on your decision, both terrific schools anyways.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72869 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sorry for missing in action. 😂
Congrats on your admits!!

I voted for UNC. UNC does perform pretty well in investment banking. Investment banking is often recruited off-campus and I don’t think Johnson is going to be pulling that much weight. Compounding with that is the fact that you are international and require a work authorization which further potential limits your opportunities and that is another reason for choosing UNC since money in hand is more certain.

Current Student
Send PM
Thanks, woody93. V helpful!
woody93 wrote:
IB is actually one of UNC's major strengths alongside Healthcare and Real Estate. I would not underestimate UNC's ability to place you in IB even in the North East. Look at their employment report and see where grads go. Sure it is "regional" (I disagree) but they place grads all over and it is not as regional as people think it is. Charlotte is also a major finance hub in the US. UNC also has a student managed fund that is unique among the T20's. Cornell is fantastic, don't get me wrong here, but with scholarship money at UNC, and the ranking gap not being that off, I don't think Cornell is worth 65K more at all. Plus Chapel Hill > Ithaca! Goodluck on your decision, both terrific schools anyways.

Current Student
Send PM
Thanks, bb. Very helpful and matches with what I have been thinking.
bb wrote:
Sorry for missing in action. 😂
Congrats on your admits!!

I voted for UNC. UNC does perform pretty well in investment banking. Investment banking is often recruited off-campus and I don’t think Johnson is going to be pulling that much weight. Compounding with that is the fact that you are international and require a work authorization which further potential limits your opportunities and that is another reason for choosing UNC since money in hand is more certain.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
woody93

You seem to know a lot about UNC KF. Would you be interested in hosting a call with 2-3 admitted students about the recruiting opportunities available for internationals?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts