Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

UNC KF (No $) vs Georgetown (No $) vs Carlson /$$ vs Maryland Smith /$$$

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.86
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Statistics, Economics
Schools: Booth - Class of 2014
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Technology
GMAT Date: 04-25-2015
GPA: 3.15
WE:Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Re: UNC (No $) vs Georgetown (No $) vs Carlson /$$ vs Maryland Smith /$$$ [#permalink]
jeeva37 wrote:
Hi Experts,

I am in a dilemma. I have to make a selection from the above choices very soon.

I am a 27 year old international applicant ( Indian IT Male to be precise ) with 5.5 years of work experience in a reputed IT firm. My post MBA goal is to transition to consulting (Management/Strategy/Operations).

I would be funding the entire tuition fee through loans. Also, I do not have a work permit in the US so the risk is higher. I have got 50% scholarship at Carlson and 80% scholarship at Maryland Smith. No scholarships from Georgetown or UNC KF.

Is paying up full tuition at Georgetown or UNC KF better than taking the scholarship at Carlson or Maryland Smith ?

Requesting fellow GMAT clubbers and admission consultants to help !

Congrats for acceptance :-D

UNC has strong reputation in Management consulting. You can even find offices for big consulting companies such as Bain and BCG in the campus, which allow you to socialize and network. have a look to the new article about MBA salaries for class of 2014

https://poetsandquants.com/2015/02/20/wh ... ay-year/2/

If the cost is a concern, so you need to choose between Smith and Georgetown.

Wish you success
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.65
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Re: UNC (No $) vs Georgetown (No $) vs Carlson /$$ vs Maryland Smith /$$$ [#permalink]
jeeva37 wrote:
Hi Experts,

I am a 27 year old international applicant ( Indian IT Male to be precise ) with 5.5 years of work experience in a reputed IT firm. My post MBA goal is to transition to consulting (Management/Strategy/Operations).

I would be funding the entire tuition fee through loans. Also, I do not have a work permit in the US so the risk is higher. I have got 50% scholarship at Carlson and 80% scholarship at Maryland Smith. No scholarships from Georgetown or UNC KF.

Is paying up full tuition at Georgetown or UNC KF better than taking the scholarship at Carlson or Maryland Smith ?

Not sure if this is a factor for you but UNC is the only target school for MBB in that list. Of course if you don't have the GMAT to get an interview with MBB that may not matter; but I would think if they recruit there, that other firms do too.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Not paying full-tuition is great, having said that, I'm not sure what your financial situation is like so I would think about if graduating with less debt is a high priority for you. I'd also consider geography on this. Carlson has consulting opportunities but they are probably in different cities than UNC/G-Town/Maryland which seem to be more located near each other. I would also look into G-Town/Maryland/UNC/Carlson's consulting numbers from their employment reports and compare how many people in their class go into consulting versus the overall number of students. Sometimes, going to a smaller school with less people may mean you have a better shot, other times, there might not be enough opportunities if its too small. On the flipside, sometimes going to a bigger school that sends more students into consulting means that you have more opportunities and shots. Other times, if there isn't enough coverage, it means you are going to be competing with alot of students for not as many spots.

bostonbp wrote:
jeeva37 wrote:
Hi Experts,

Not sure if this is a factor for you but UNC is the only target school for MBB in that list. Of course if you don't have the GMAT to get an interview with MBB that may not matter; but I would think if they recruit there, that other firms do too.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Narrow down your choices to two. I would say pick between UNC and Maryland.

Speak to current students at both schools an decide your fit. The extra debt you will be taking at UNC is not worth it if your target firms recruit at both schools. If cost is too much of a concern, then pick Maryland and network intensively. But do have good backup employment targets in that case.

Good luck !
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts