GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2019, 09:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Under high pressure and intense heat, graphite, the most stable form

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Under high pressure and intense heat, graphite, the most stable form  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2013, 14:04
skamal7 wrote:
vercules,
Can you please explain why the use of although is wrong in this sentence...

Hi skamal7,

Putting into simple words, you use "although" when you are stating facts that happened or happening. "even when" is usually used when you want to express a hypothetical condition or a habit.

I go to school although it is raining.-->

Incorrect, "I go to school" expresses a habit, where as "although" is expressing a fact, i.e. "it is raining". The question under discussion presents the quality of graphite/ diamond. This is a general truth and in its use of although in (D) the sentence incorrectly means that this one time "heat and pressure are removed" and diamond remains in its current state. However, this does not expresses a general quality properly. The sentence's actual meaning is that diamond will retain its state while and even after removing heat and pressure. The removal of heat and pressure has not happened, it may or may not happen thus it is hypothetical. The use of "even if" would also be correct in this case.

I am going to school, although it is raining. -->

Correct, two facts are being expressed "going to school" and "it is raining".

I go to school even when it is raining. -->

Better, the sentence means that "I will go to school whether it rains or not" is it raining right not? may be or may not be (hypothetical).

I go to school even when it rains. -->

Best, now the sentence expresses a habit, using simple present verbs "go" and "rains".

Hope this helps,

Vercules
Schools: ISB '16, NUS '15
Reviews Badge
Re: Under high pressure and intense heat, graphite, the most stable form  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2014, 08:03
Hi E-Gmat,

Under high pressure and intense heat, graphite, the most stable form of pure carbon, changes into the substance commonly referred to as diamond and remaining this way whether or not the heat and pressure are removed.

(A) remaining this way whether or not-out
(B) remaining like that even as-out
(C) remaining as such whether or not-out
(D) remains in this way although
(E) remains thus even when

Im able to eliminate Choices A,B,&C as and is the parallel marker First Verb is "Changes" and Second should be "Remains"
But not able to eliminate Choice D & E. Please explain ?

Thanks in advance
e-GMAT Representative
P

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2014, 12:37
Hi Nitin,

As the above poster has pointed out "although" is unnecessarily bringing in a contrast. There is no contrast in the intended meaning of the sentence. The sentence wants to say that even when certain conditions are changed, the diamond doesn't change. So, no contrast is required here.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Meghna
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2015, 21:30
Two reasons for option E over D :

- D introduces unnecessary contrast by using Although. (Although changes the intended meaning of the sentence)

- In D (X, although Y) - the subject of X & Y are not related.
Manager

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2015, 10:06
AryamaDuttaSaikia wrote:
- In D (X, although Y) - the subject of X & Y are not related.

Can you explain this further. It is not clear to me.
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2015, 23:14
X, Although Y

- Although introduces "Contrast".

Typical structure of "although" - depedent clause marker - Although X,Y

2 things:

1. X & Y needs to be parallel

2. The subject of X and the subject of Y needs to be related. (Since we are starting a sentence in X with "although" , we need to complete the sentence by referring to a related subject in Y)

Hope it helps!
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
GPA: 3
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2017, 11:58
I am not sure why E is correct?Can somebody explain this?
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2017, 05:47
Gomze wrote:
I am not sure why E is correct?Can somebody explain this?

Options A, B and C can be eliminated on the same ground:
The use of conjunction "and" calls for another verb (to be parallel with "changes"): "changes and remains" is the correct parallel structure. Therefore options A, B and C can be eliminated because they use present participle "remaining", which cannot be parallel to the verb "changes".

Between options D and E, E is better due to concision (using one word "thus" instead of three "in this way" to indicate the same meaning).
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2017, 08:49
Under high pressure and intense heat, graphite, the most stable form of pure carbon, changes into the substance commonly referred to as diamond and remaining this way whether or not the heat and pressure are removed.

Issues: Parallelism | Meaning

Analysis:
1. In this sentence, we need to make sure that we maintain parallelism between verbs i.e. between "changes" and "remains" ("remaining" in original sentence)

(A) remaining this way whether or not
- not parallel

(B) remaining like that even as
- not parallel

(C) remaining as such whether or not
- not parallel

- "in this way" is ambiguous
- "although" is used for demonstrating contract and distorts the meaning here

Answer: (E)
Current Student
P
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 00:18
Hi Can anyone explain why D is wrong and E is correct

Thanks
Luckisnoexcuse
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 06:08
Top Contributor
Logically speaking, 'this way' can be said only in face-to-face conversations colloquially when you can show someone something pointing with your index or fore- finger.
S
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2017, 03:25
az780 wrote:

Source: OG verbal review 2: Q45.

PRESENCE OF "and" and that too just before the underlined part (is a gift from the Lords of GMAT :cool: ) -- shows a MARKER for parallelism.

Parallelism issue + whether or not is redundant. INCORRECT.

(B) remaining like that even as (USAGE OF EVEN AFTER WOULD HAVE BEEN CORRECT)
Parallelism issue. INCORRECT.

Parallelism issue + whether or not is redundant. INCORRECT.

usage of ALTHOUGH is wrong here! Although is used to show a contrast but here a contrast is not intended. Therefore, incorrect.

Here, the usage of remains in this way and remains thus is almost equivalent. CORRECT.
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 07:39
Top Contributor
"changes into the substance commonly referred to as diamond and remaining this way"

The one takeaway from this question is that whenever one sees the construction " and +verbing", it should flash a red signal that that it is a precursor to a potential parallelism error. Immediately look for a similar participle construction on the left of 'and', very often it has been seen that there is a verbed clause rather than a present participle. We can remove a good chunk of faulty choices, as the at least three choices that we can dump in one stone in this given case.
B
Schools: ISB '20 (A)
GPA: 4
Re: QOTD: Under high pressure and intense heat, graphite, the most stable  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2018, 01:18
In D, "although" is not correct as suggested above. I am not sure "this way" is acceptable as it is vague usage.
In E, "thus" can be replaced with "so" and vice versa.

I had a car, thus, I drove.
I had a car, so I drove. (No change in meaning)

Thus, (So,) E is much better choice than D.
Please correct me if wrong.
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2018, 10:19
[quote="az780"]Under high pressure and intense heat, graphite, the most stable form of pure carbon, changes into the substance commonly referred to as diamond and remaining this way whether or not the heat and pressure are removed.

look at choice D and E.

the intended meaning is graphite exist in this state. the intended meaning is not graphite exist in this way. what way is "this way"? it is unclear about "this way". the meaning that "graphit exist in this state " is clear and logic.
there is not any "way" in the previous phrase for us to say " in this way" in the ending phrase.

although say about a contrast. the fact after although must exist before the fact in the main clause. this is not applicable in here.
although he study well before, he fail on the test

here the becoming diamond dose not exist before remain, so, although here is wrong
Intern
Intern
B
Under high pressure and intense heat, graphite, the most stable form  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2018, 22:13
nitishkr wrote:
In D, "although" is not correct as suggested above. I am not sure "this way" is acceptable as it is vague usage.
In E, "thus" can be replaced with "so" and vice versa.

I had a car, so I drove. (No change in meaning)

Thus, (So,) E is much better choice than D.
Please correct me if wrong.

Hi nitishkr

In this particular question, the word "thus" in choice E does not perform the role of "therefore/so". It actually is another way to say "in this way/as described before". Please check out the second meaning in the list at this link https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti ... glish/thus to understand the usage of "thus" in this fashion. :)

Also, your example sentence (referred to below) is not correct as "thus" cannot join two independent clauses - I know you wanted to equate the meaning of "thus" with "so", but the two are not interchangeable, grammatically speaking. You need a FANBOY conjunction to do so:

IC1 = I had a car.
IC2 = I drove.

Hope the above explanation and reference help!

Cheers!

NS
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2019, 10:22
I thought (D) was an attractive answer; however, it is wrong for one major reason.

It's important to first point out that "in this way" and "thus" mean pretty much exactly the same thing. Both Cambridge and Oxford define "thus" as meaning "in this way".

The primary difference is in the split between "although" and "even when". "although" is pretty close, but it means that the heat and pressure are currently removed. In other words, this directly contradicts the first part of the sentence that mentions "under high pressure and intense heat". "under high pressure and intense heat" is in the present tense because of the verb "changes", and "although the heat and pressure are removed" is also in the present tense. "although" would be correct if the sentence had instead been written like this:
Under high pressure and intense heat, graphite, the most stable form of pure carbon, has changed into the substance commonly referred to as diamond and has remained in this way although the heat and pressure are removed.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2019, 05:04
Waht would be the time marker to be associated with "when" in choice E? Is it the word "remains"?
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2019, 23:26
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

For starters, the parallelism doesn’t make any sense. The parallelism trigger “and” is followed by “remaining”, and there’s no “-ing” modifier that could possibly be parallel to “remaining.”

Also, “whether or not” is apparently considered redundant on the GMAT. “Whether” is enough, and the “or not” is just a waste of words.

For whatever it’s worth, I’m also not crazy about the phrase “in this way.” But I’ll say more about that at the end of the explanation.

In any case, the parallelism alone is enough to eliminate (A).

Quote:

(B) has the same parallelism problem as (A). See above for more on that issue.

Plus, the phrase “like that” is a little bit suspect here. I think “that” is trying to act as a singular pronoun (more on “that” in this article and in this video), and it presumably refers to “diamond.” So we have: “graphite… (remains) like a diamond even as the heat and pressure are removed.” Nope, the graphite IS a diamond – it’s not “like a diamond” or “like diamond.”

So (B) is gone.

Quote:

(C) has the same two problems as (A): the parallelism is wrong, and “whether or not” isn’t really the GMAT’s favorite phrase. See the explanation for (A) for more on these issues.

I’m not sure that the phrase “as such” is completely wrong, for whatever it’s worth. I think it’s awkward and clunky and a little bit antiquated, but I wouldn’t eliminate (C) based solely on that phrase. Fortunately, we have plenty of completely concrete reasons to get rid of (C).

And now things get nasty.

Quote:

The parallelism is fine now! We have “graphite… changes into… diamond and remains…” That’s cool.

So what’s the difference between (D) and (E)? There are only two things, and both are pretty subtle.

First, “in this way” in (D) is pretty goofy. I guess the phrase “this way” is trying to refer to the fact that the substance is now a diamond? I can’t be certain that it’s WRONG, but it’s awfully weird to say “graphite remains in this way” when we’re trying to say “graphite remains a diamond.” How is being a diamond “a way”? That doesn’t make much sense. In (E), “thus” sounds pretentious, but it can reasonably refer back to “as a diamond.”

The other problem is a little bit clearer. The underlined portion in (D) ends with “although”, which basically means “despite the fact that” – so (D) is saying that the substance remains a diamond “despite the fact that the heat and pressure are removed.” (E) says that the substance remains a diamond “even when the heat and pressure are removed.”

That might seem like a really tiny difference, but (E) makes more sense. The point is that the substance remains a diamond even after the heat and pressure are removed – after all, you wouldn’t wear a hot, pressurized diamond in a ring, right? There’s no reason to emphasize the idea that it remains a diamond despite being removed from the heat.

So it’s probably a little bit unsatisfying, but (E) is our answer.

I think there is a slight meaning difference in D and E. "Although" implies that the heat and pressure are definitely removed, but that is not what the original sentence meant. E solves the parallelism while retaining the original meaning of the sentence: the graphite remains a diamond whether the heat and pressure are removed (or not).
Re: Under high pressure and intense heat, graphite, the most  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2019, 23:02
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Under high pressure and intense heat, graphite, the most   [#permalink] 20 Sep 2019, 23:02

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 40 posts ] 

Under high pressure and intense heat, graphite, the most stable form

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics