GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Sep 2018, 02:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Unlike the virginal, whose single set of strings runs parallel to the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
B
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
Unlike the virginal, whose single set of strings runs parallel to the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 14:01
Top Contributor
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

85% (00:55) correct 15% (01:24) wrong based on 1745 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2018

Practice Question
Sentence Correction
Question No.: 680

Unlike the virginal, whose single set of strings runs parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord’s several sets of strings are placed at right angles to its front edge.

(A) whose single set of strings runs parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord’s several sets of strings are

(B) with a single set of strings running parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the several sets of strings of the harpsichord are

(C) which has a single set of strings that runs parallel to the front edge of the instrument, in the case of the harpsichord, several sets of strings are

(D) which has a single set of strings that run parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord has several sets of strings

(E) in which a single set of strings run parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord’s several sets of strings are

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Unlike the virginal, whose single set of strings runs parallel to the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 20:51
Topic tested: Comparison

Unlike the virginal, whose single set of strings runs parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord’s several sets of strings are placed at right angles to its front edge.

A. whose single set of strings runs parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord’s several sets of strings are - Incorrect.

B. with a single set of strings running parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the several sets of strings of the harpsichord are - Incorrect.

C. which has a single set of strings that runs parallel to the front edge of the instrument, in the case of the harpsichord, several sets of strings are - Incorrect.

D. which has a single set of strings that run parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord has several sets of strings - Correct.

E. in which a single set of strings run parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord’s several sets of strings are - Incorrect.

Answer: D
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Unlike the virginal, whose single set of strings runs parallel to the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 21:03
I understand that D is correct since we are comparing virginal to the harpsichord..

but for the SV agreement for "single set of strings that run parallel" is it incorrect to reduce it down to "single set that runs parallel"?
i'm gonna guess that it's the "strings that run parallel" and not the "single set runs parallel"
SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 22:40
dengdatsgood wrote:
I understand that D is correct since we are comparing virginal to the harpsichord..

but for the SV agreement for "single set of strings that run parallel" is it incorrect to reduce it down to "single set that runs parallel"?
i'm gonna guess that it's the "strings that run parallel" and not the "single set runs parallel"

Here 'that' refers to the 'strings'.

IMO we have to check whether the 'set of strings' or 'strings' can run parallel to the front edge of the instrument. The set of strings as well as the strings can run parallel. So we can use the verb depending on the noun we want to refer. If 'that' refers to 'the set' we have to use 'runs'. Here its referring to strings and so we use run.

GMATNinja, your comments?
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Jun 2017, 21:21
Top Contributor
A set running parallel to the front edge does not convey the proper meaning since in both cases, it is the strings (plural) that run either along the front edge or perpendicular to the edge. Hence, ' strings that run' is the correct diction

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Originally posted by daagh on 12 Jun 2017, 03:43.
Last edited by daagh on 12 Jun 2017, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 04:41

(A) whose single set of strings runs parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord’s several sets of strings are – Illogical comparison virginal and harpsichord’s several sets
(B) with a single set of strings running parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the several sets of strings of the harpsichord are – Illogical comparison virginal and sets of strings
(C) which has a single set of strings that runs parallel to the front edge of the instrument, in the case of the harpsichord, several sets of strings are – Subject verb agreement – set doesn’t run to front edge but the strings do
(D) which has a single set of strings that run parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord has several sets of strings – Correct
(E) in which a single set of strings run parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord’s several sets of strings are – Illogical comparison virginal and harpsichord’s several sets
Answer D

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 04:55
Top Contributor
There isn't much to think about in this comparison topic. An instrument by name Virginal has to be parallelly compared with another similar such instrument, namely Harpsichord and only choice D does that. The comparison is faulty in all the other choices. Dump them all wholesale

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 18:04
Hi Experts,
My query is regarding option (C)
Here that as a subject refers to - single set of strings.
I think we need a singular verb- runs - instead of plural verb - run after that.
WR,
Arpit

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 09:42
adkikani wrote:
Hi Experts,
I think we need a singular verb- runs - instead of plural verb - run after that.
WR,
Arpit

Hi adkikani ,

'that' in option C is referring to strings. As per the rule of that and which, they should refer to the nearest noun. So, here the nearest noun is strings. Hence, that is referring to it.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 10:15
adkikani wrote:
Hi Experts,
WR,
Arpit

Hello adkikani /Arpit,

I would be glad to help you out with this one. :)

From the context of the sentence, it is absolutely clear that two kinds of string instruments have been compared. Logically, the strings run on the instruments in a certain way. A set does not run. Hence, whenever a set of strings is mentioned, we need a modifier to modify the strings and not a set. So apart from the comparison error, we can use this point also to arrive at the correct answer choice.

A) whose single set of strings runs parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord’s several sets of strings are: Incorrect
(B) with a single set of strings running parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the several sets of strings of the harpsichord are: Incorrect
(C) which has a single set of strings that runs parallel to the front edge of the instrument, in the case of the harpsichord, several sets of strings are: Incorrect
(D) which has a single set of strings that run parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord has several sets of strings: Correct
(E) in which a single set of strings run parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord’s several sets of strings are: Incorrect

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 17:05
Hi Shraddha,
Yes, your explanation once again proved importance of meaning over grammar.
I was laying much stress on prepositional phrase of strings earlier.
Thanks for your help. :)
WR,Arpit

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2017, 08:43
without knowing new words, we can infer which is compared with what. we need to compare two things which have springs. so, we know the two thing compared.
BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2017, 12:05

The non underlined part "Unlike the Virginal" suggest that the comparison is between the virginal and some other musical instrument..so this should be our first split.

Straight away, option A, B and E are out ..
Lets see the balance options now :

(A) whose single set of strings runs parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord’s several sets of strings are
Illogical comparison between the virginal and the "set of strings of harpsichord"..

(B) with a single set of strings running parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the several sets of strings of the harpsichord are
Again same as A

(C) which has a single set of strings that runs parallel to the front edge of the instrument, in the case of the harpsichord, several sets of strings are
When we are already given one comparison marker "Unlike" why do we need a separate phrase "in the case of .."
Incorrect again.

(D) which has a single set of strings that run parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord has several sets of strings
Correct.
This clearly says "Unlike X, which has bla bla, U has cla cla". Perfect comparison and no redundancy like that in option C.

(E) in which a single set of strings run parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord’s several sets of strings are
Again the comparison is between the virginal and the "set of strings of harpsichord"

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: ISB '20 (S), IIMA (S)
GMAT 1: 500 Q47 V15
GPA: 3.4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 20:08
Hi Experts,
Please find my analysis below:-

=> Illogical comparison between the virginal and the harpsichord’s several sets.

=>Illogical comparison between the virginal and the several sets of strings

=> two comparisons are used "Unlike" and "in the case of ". It is redundant.

=> The comparison between the virginal and the harpsichord is absolutely correct. Use of "Which" is absolutely correct.

=> Illogical comparison the virginal and the harpsichord’s several sets. And also use of "in which" is strange.

ANS :- D

Please review and let me know if I am going wrong anywhere

If it helps you please press Kudos!

Thank You
Sudhanshu

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 10:56
AbdurRakib wrote:

Practice Question
Sentence Correction

Unlike the Virginal ( Musical instrument) , the Harpsichord ( another instrument )
Clearly D is the answer.

Give Kudos for correct answer and/or if you like the solution.

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2017, 20:40

A) whose single set of strings runs parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord’s several sets of strings are
A is wrong for two reasons. People are who and things are that or which, so the use of "whose" when referring to the virginal is incorrect. Also, in this case, the prepositional phrase is the subject of the sentence, "single set" its modifier. Thus the verb "run" must be plural instead of singular.

B) with a single set of strings running parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the several sets of strings of the harpsichord are
B is wrong because the phrase between the commas begins with the preposition "with," which in this usage is meant to distinguish between one virginal and another.

C) which has a single set of strings that runs parallel to the front edge of the instrument, in the case of the harpsichord, several sets of strings are
C is wrong because if you remove the clause between the commas, the phrase "several sets of strings are" suggests the virginal also has several sets of strings. Plus, the sentence structure is awkward.

D) which has a single set of strings that run parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord has several sets of strings
D is the best choice because it states the case with clarity, but the word "that" is required between
"strings" and the verb "are."

E) in which a single set of strings run parallel to the front edge of the instrument, the harpsichord’s several sets of strings are
E is incorrect because it suggests the set of strings are in the virginal, making it an awkward sentence.

"Students study. GMAT assassins train."

★★★★★ GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

GMAT Club Verbal Advantage EMPOWERgmat Critical Reasoning Question Pack

CEO
CEO
D

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 16:13
Top Contributor
AbdurRakib wrote:

Practice Question
Sentence Correction

ASIDE: A virginal is a stringed instrument)

The opening phrase "Unlike the virginal..." sets up a COMPARISON.
So, after the modifying phrase "whose single set of strings runs parallel to the front edge of the instrument," the part IMMEDIATELY AFTER the comma should be the thing we are COMPARING with a virginal.
IMPORTANT: the two things we're comparing must be logically comparable. So, in this case, we are likely comparing the virginal with some other instrument.

A) Unlike the virginal . . . , the harpsichord’s several sets of strings...
So, we're comparing an instrument (the virginal) with some instrument's set of strings.
This comparison makes no sense.
ELIMINATE A

B) Unlike the virginal . . . , the several sets of strings...
So, we're comparing an instrument (the virginal) with some instrument's set of strings.
ELIMINATE B

C) Unlike the virginal . . . , in the case of the harpsichord...
Pure awfulness!
ELIMINATE C

D) Unlike the virginal . . . , the harpsichord...
Great! We're comparing two instruments. This comparison makes sense.
KEEP D

E) Unlike the virginal . . . , the harpsichord’s several sets of strings...
So, we're comparing an instrument (the virginal) with some instrument's sets of strings.
ELIMINATE E

Answer: C

Cheers,
Brent

Brent Hanneson – GMATPrepNow.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 09:16
new words is used to cover the meaning points. dont be scared by new words. instead, focus on the meaning of old words and find the meaning problem.
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 10:40
SudhanshuSingh wrote:
Hi Experts,

=> Illogical comparison between the virginal and the harpsichord’s several sets.

=> The comparison between the virginal and the harpsichord is absolutely correct. Use of "Which" is absolutely correct.

=> Illogical comparison the virginal and the harpsichord’s several sets. And also use of "in which" is strange.

Hello SudhanshuSingh,

Although a little late, your reply did catch our attention and for the right reason. :-)

Your approach to this official sentence is absolutely correct. This one tests the knowledge of comparison, and your analysis suggests that you understand the concept of Comparison well.

I would just like to correct your understanding of the incorrect Choice C.

Quote:

There is no redundancy error because of the usage of Unlike and in the case of.

See, redundancy error when two words expressing the meaning are used together to present the same idea. For example:

Although a little late, but your reply did catch our attention.

In the above-mentioned example sentence, both although and but express contrast. Hence, using them together leads to redundancy error.

However, such is not the case with unlike and in the case of because these two expressions do NOT mean the same.

Choice C is incorrect because it again presents illogical comparison between virginal and several sets of strings because this entity is the subject of the independent to which virginal is supposed to be compared.

Choice C: Unlike the virginal, which has a single set of strings that runs parallel to the front edge of the instrument, in the case of the harpsichord, several sets of strings are placed at right angles to its front edge.

Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: ISB '20 (S), IIMA (S)
GMAT 1: 500 Q47 V15
GPA: 3.4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 13:18
egmat wrote:
SudhanshuSingh wrote:
Hi Experts,

Hello SudhanshuSingh,

Although a little late, your reply did catch our attention and for the right reason. :-)

Your approach to this official sentence is absolutely correct. This one tests the knowledge of comparison, and your analysis suggests that you understand the concept of Comparison well.

I would just like to correct your understanding of the incorrect Choice C.

Quote:

There is no redundancy error because of the usage of Unlike and in the case of.

See, redundancy error when two words expressing the meaning are used together to present the same idea. For example:

Although a little late, but your reply did catch our attention.

In the above-mentioned example sentence, both although and but express contrast. Hence, using them together leads to redundancy error.

However, such is not the case with unlike and in the case of because these two expressions do NOT mean the same.

Choice C is incorrect because it again presents illogical comparison between virginal and several sets of strings because this entity is the subject of the independent to which virginal is supposed to be compared.

Choice C: Unlike the virginal, which has a single set of strings that runs parallel to the front edge of the instrument, in the case of the harpsichord, several sets of strings are placed at right angles to its front edge.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Thanks Shraddha! I can catch the mistake that I made earlier.
It was helpful for me.

If it helps you please press Kudos!

Thank You
Sudhanshu

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Unlike the virginal, whose single set of strings runs parallel to the &nbs [#permalink] 28 Nov 2017, 13:18

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 35 posts ] 

Unlike the virginal, whose single set of strings runs parallel to the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap