Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:34 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [5]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Technology
GMAT Date: 04-25-2015
GPA: 3.15
WE:Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V46
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Statistics, Economics
Schools: Booth - Class of 2014
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: USA vs EU MBA: Tuck vs INSEAD. Which one? [#permalink]
I was facing a similar dilemma in 2012 and chose Booth over INSEAD (and was also above 30 and successfully recruited for MBB).
I think the higher cost at Tuck is offset by:
1) better recruiting opportunities: Tuck opens more doors in the US and for EU recruiting, it'll be easier to get an interview slot at MBB from Tuck
2) better education: Tuck faculty is a notch above and you won't be rushed through 6 weeks of accounting followed by 6 weeks of corp fin etc.
3) better overall experience: INSEAD is not as polished a program as the US schools

In addition, INSEAD lifestyle can get pretty pricey when you start adding the weekly getaways to European or Asian destinations + cost of living in Paris / Singapore.

That being said, fit with student culture and school culture is very important and probably trumps everything else. You wouldn't want to spend 2 years in New Hampshire if you didn't like your classmates. So talking with a bunch of people is really important to get a sense of the culture at both places.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,

Italian here as well, working in London for the last 2y.
I don't agree with the others as in my opinion you have to consider:
- INSEAD has a brand you can spend in EU, ASIA and US vs Tuck is just US (where it wins, but are you sure you want to stay in US?)
- Duration/Cost 10m vs 2y and the attached costs.. if you already know "I want to work in consultancy" then is not a biggie any GOOD MBA (and these are both REALLY GOOD) will "enable" you to be a consultant. I have been a consultant since forever there is no secret.. 10m at INSEAD will granted you a perfect occasion to join McKinsey, Bain, BCG etc... no need to spend 2y and a huge amount of money!

Having said so.. INSEAD is my N1 choice, but I did 660 on GMAT so I need to consider back up choices.
In the end MBA is a way to get where you want to go: point of start, not point of arrival :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Well, thank you all for your comments, I found myself in all the comments and these are very useful. I want to share further consideration I did by phone with a couple of BS alumni.

According to them, it's nearly impossible the switch INSEAD --> US. On the other hand, they had tons of opportunities for coming back to Europe.
What they say is that this not come easy. They mean, you have on-campus interview with great companies but for positions in the US offices. If you want to come to Europe you just have to attend companies international recruiting events and get in touch with the HR.

For example, a former Booth student (now BCG) told me that he had offers from Italy but he decided to remain in USA. He also told me that, according to him, if you knock to BCG door in Europe, both INSEAD and Tuck are well known and considered MBAs.

Another important thing is the post MBA goal. With INSEAD you have to have clear ideas on what you want to do. On the other hand, Tuck and any 2 year MBA, give you the opportunity to explore lots of fields letting you decide, through the internship, where you want to spend you future.

Clearly INSEAD has a better ROI, the cost is the half compared to Tuck and the placement is very good.

No wrong choice here, but Tuck seems to have a bit of edge.

Thanks dontquixote for your long debrief, very ineresting.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.5
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Did you have the opportunity to visit the schools?
I am sure that meeting current students and faculty would help you decide. Do you see yourself spending the next year/two years at those schools?
I have been already admitted to INSEAD and am waiting for Tuck's decision. Hence, I might be in a very similar situation.
I visited both schools, so feel free to send me a PM if you want to discuss.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I visited Tuck and I have to say that it has been a great experience. I can see myself spending two years there.
Even though some alumni told me that giving a bit of attention to international recruitment events I could be able to have good opportunities in Europe, I can't stop thinking aboit the fact that INSEAD is among the best in Europe.

You can hear lots of things in this forum,maybe I'd better hear guys that did this experience.

I don't know. I really hope that Tuck will be a good choice but actually I'm struggling deciding which is better.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V46
Send PM
@EmaSira.........how are you doing? you made your decision yet? Wasn't Tuck due date to respond to their R1 admit few weeks ago?
I think folks on this forum have provided some great feedback. I think eventually it comes down to you listing out your most critical criteria and then deciding which schools meet or exceed in those criteria. I think Tuck and INSEAD offer different things, but they both have a brand prestige, you can't go wrong with either.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Shakandbake wrote:
@EmaSira.........how are you doing? you made your decision yet? Wasn't Tuck due date to respond to their R1 admit few weeks ago?
I think folks on this forum have provided some great feedback. I think eventually it comes down to you listing out your most critical criteria and then deciding which schools meet or exceed in those criteria. I think Tuck and INSEAD offer different things, but they both have a brand prestige, you can't go wrong with either.

I haven't made a decision yet but in the meantime I paid tuck deposit in order to let that door open.

I'm getting in touch with Italian tuck alumni to have confirmation about how they were able to spend the brand in Europe. I think that their real experience will help me to figure out whether I could use tuck in Europe in case I'll decide to come back.

I agree with you. They offer different things and for this reason he contact with alumni is very Important. Also folks in this thread are helping me a lot with their perspective.

BTW in the end, there is no bad choice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Hey, what did you finally choose?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ankuragarwal1301 wrote:

Hi, I ended up choosing Tuck! :)
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
EmaSira wrote:
ankuragarwal1301 wrote:

Hi, I ended up choosing Tuck! :)

Congratulations. I enjoyed reading this thread. The fact is MBB recruits from all top 20 schools. I have a client right now who is in conversations with McKinsey who has an admit at Georgia Tech. I helped him get his verbal up so that he's recruitable there. One of my most brilliant admissions clients, who graduated from Harvard in three years with a 4 point pi did not make it in his interview with Bain at Booth because he did not prepare. I think your best bet would be to pick up a copy of Case in Point, and start preparing. And hire someone who will coach you in that process.
Shakandbake wrote:
I agree with most things dontquixote said. Just my two cents, however, is that don't underestimate the value of getting an INSEAD MBA and saying yourself significant debt and an extra year of school. Since you said in your post that you are indifferent to working in USA vs Europe, you also have to consider the visa situation for international students. I am also an international student and I know of several folks who had to go back to their home country because they couldn't secure work visas. I am not saying that will happen to you, but that is one point you have to take into account as economy is cyclical and visa quotas can change on the fly.

As for the INSEAD consulting number being overblown in terms of consulting, i think it is a bit of a misnomer. INSEAD folks do great on the consulting front despite some folks being sponsored.

As dontquixote pointed out, European schools are truly much more diverse than american schools. Most american schools have at most 35% class that is internationl, but INSEAD's class is international to as much as 80%.

All in all, I think with your goals / age / citizenship, I would say INSEAD sounds like a better value proposition.

manunez wrote:
Did you have the opportunity to visit the schools?
I am sure that meeting current students and faculty would help you decide. Do you see yourself spending the next year/two years at those schools?
I have been already admitted to INSEAD and am waiting for Tuck's decision. Hence, I might be in a very similar situation.
I visited both schools, so feel free to send me a PM if you want to discuss.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Tutor MBAPrepCoach.com
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
One quick question, when you visited the school did you do so in January? I probably don't have to tell you to take with you or stock up on long underwear and mittens and a very hearty overcoat.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Tutor MBAPrepCoach.com
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts