It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 13:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V03-25

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 41891

Kudos [?]: 128901 [0], given: 12183

V03-25 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 01:59
Expert's post
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (01:11) correct 49% (01:33) wrong based on 88 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The author of a book tracing the relationship of work-related stress to productivity loss in small business argues that most workers underestimate the harmful physical effects of unprocessed anxiety. Powerful hormones such as cortisol and epinephrine, which are released in stressful situations, raise heartbeat and blood pressure, priming the body for physical activity. However, since most business is conducted in a relatively restrained environment, workers find few opportunities to respond to stressful situations as their hormones seem to demand.

If all of the above statements are true, it can be most directly inferred from the passage that


A. Most productivity loss in small business is due to unprocessed stress hormones.
B. Increased physical activity would be helpful in processing stressful situations.
C. Hormones such as cortisol and epinephrine stimulate critical thinking as well as raising blood pressure.
D. The restraint of business environments contributes to the stress experienced by workers.
E. Workers in more physically demanding jobs have fewer problems with work-related stress.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 128901 [0], given: 12183

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 41891

Kudos [?]: 128901 [1], given: 12183

Re V03-25 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 01:59
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Official Solution:


The author of a book tracing the relationship of work-related stress to productivity loss in small business argues that most workers underestimate the harmful physical effects of unprocessed anxiety. Powerful hormones such as cortisol and epinephrine, which are released in stressful situations, raise heartbeat and blood pressure, priming the body for physical activity. However, since most business is conducted in a relatively restrained environment, workers find few opportunities to respond to stressful situations as their hormones seem to demand.

If all of the above statements are true, it can be most directly inferred from the passage that


A. Most productivity loss in small business is due to unprocessed stress hormones.
B. Increased physical activity would be helpful in processing stressful situations.
C. Hormones such as cortisol and epinephrine stimulate critical thinking as well as raising blood pressure.
D. The restraint of business environments contributes to the stress experienced by workers.
E. Workers in more physically demanding jobs have fewer problems with work-related stress.


Situation:A book argues that there is a strong connection between work-related stress and productivity loss because of the harmful physical effects of stress.

Reasoning: Which of the following can be most directly inferred from the passage?The first sentence introduces the idea that work-related stress can have harmful physical effects, and the second sentence discusses the functioning of stress hormones such as cortisol and epinephrine. The third sentence points to the fact that restraint in business environments may prevent workers from reacting physically to stressful situations, in which case the harmful physical effects of stress would lead to productivity loss.
  1. Choice A : The passage does not make this claim.
  2. Choice B : Since the author is concerned with productivity loss as a side-effect of harmful physical effects that result from lack of physical activity, the author would view increased physical activity as a solution.
  3. Choice C : The effect of these hormones on critical thinking is not discussed in the passage.
  4. Choice D : In the passage, restraint does not contribute directly to stress, but rather to a barrier in processing it.
  5. Choice E : The passage does not discuss workers in more physically demanding jobs.

Answer: B
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 128901 [1], given: 12183

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 11 Oct 2013
Posts: 121

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 137

Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q41 V31
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: V03-25 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 05:10
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation.
_________________

Its not over..

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 137

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 08 Jun 2015
Posts: 286

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 95

Location: India
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
Re: V03-25 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2016, 05:22
I have a question regarding option D - The explanation says that restraint does not contribute directly to stress, but rather to a barrier in processing it. In other words, it contributes indirectly. Since it is an infer type question, should we not pick something which is implied and not directly stated ? Experts please correct my thought process.
_________________

" The few , the fearless "

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 95

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3157

Kudos [?]: 3298 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: V03-25 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2016, 12:42
spetznaz wrote:
I have a question regarding option D - The explanation says that restraint does not contribute directly to stress, but rather to a barrier in processing it. In other words, it contributes indirectly. Since it is an infer type question, should we not pick something which is implied and not directly stated ? Experts please correct my thought process.


Premise: Restraint does not help.
Conclusion: Removing restraint would help. Removing restraints = physical activity

This is not something directly stated, but inferred from something given in the passage.

Kudos [?]: 3298 [0], given: 22

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2015
Posts: 6

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
Reviews Badge
Re: V03-25 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2016, 21:36
Quote:
The author of a book tracing the relationship of work-related stress to productivity loss



Based on this information alone, there is no indication whether a correlation between work-related stress and productivity loss exists. Given that there is no way to establish a correlation, how can choice B, which depends on work related stress leading productivity loss be correct?!

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3157

Kudos [?]: 3298 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: V03-25 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2016, 15:30
RohanJ5 wrote:
Quote:
The author of a book tracing the relationship of work-related stress to productivity loss



Based on this information alone, there is no indication whether a correlation between work-related stress and productivity loss exists. Given that there is no way to establish a correlation, how can choice B, which depends on work related stress leading productivity loss be correct?!


Yes, your point is valid. We have modified option B accordingly.

Kudos [?]: 3298 [0], given: 22

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2016
Posts: 12

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: V03-25 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2016, 03:09
Since when an "infer" kind of question actually asks you to “infer” from the passage? Doesn't infer in gmat always means "it must be true“?Answer choice B is clearly a leap of faith kind of "conclusion" one could draw, but aren't we all trained to understand gmat never asks you to infer/guess when you face a "must be true" kind of question? could anyone please clarify this point?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3157

Kudos [?]: 3298 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: V03-25 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2016, 07:21
14razy wrote:
Since when an "infer" kind of question actually asks you to “infer” from the passage? Doesn't infer in gmat always means "it must be true“?Answer choice B is clearly a leap of faith kind of "conclusion" one could draw, but aren't we all trained to understand gmat never asks you to infer/guess when you face a "must be true" kind of question? could anyone please clarify this point?


First the passage states that most workers underestimate the harmful physical effects of unprocessed anxiety and powerful hormones prime the body for physical activity . Then it states that HOWEVER workers find few opportunities to respond to hormones ( i.e. react to the created anxiety) because of restrained Environment.

From this link ("however") it is not unjustified to conclude that increased physical activity would be helpful in processing stressful situations.

Kudos [?]: 3298 [0], given: 22

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 31 Aug 2016
Posts: 13

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 14

Premium Member
Re: V03-25 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2017, 20:31
"Powerful hormones such as cortisol and epinephrine, which are released in stressful situations, raise heartbeat and blood pressure, priming the body for physical activity." --> This sentence means the hormones trigger physical activity, it does not mean that physical activity processes stress as stated in answer B.
"since most business is conducted in a relatively restrained environment, workers find few opportunities to respond to stressful situations as their hormones seem to demand." --> This sentence means restraint of office environment affects the stress experiences of workers as stated in answer D.
Therefore, I think that answer D is correct. Could anyone please correct my understanding?
Thanks,

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 14

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3157

Kudos [?]: 3298 [1], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: V03-25 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2017, 05:28
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
nathalie1107 wrote:
"Powerful hormones such as cortisol and epinephrine, which are released in stressful situations, raise heartbeat and blood pressure, priming the body for physical activity." --> This sentence means the hormones trigger physical activity, it does not mean that physical activity processes stress as stated in answer B.
"since most business is conducted in a relatively restrained environment, workers find few opportunities to respond to stressful situations as their hormones seem to demand." --> This sentence means restraint of office environment affects the stress experiences of workers as stated in answer D.
Therefore, I think that answer D is correct. Could anyone please correct my understanding?
Thanks,


Option B:
The first sentence discusses unprocessed anxiety. The second sentence states that stressful situation makes the body ready for physical activity. The third sentence states that because of restrained environment the workers cannot respond to ( i.e. cannot perform physical activity in response to) stressful situations.

From these three sentences (specifically the underlined parts), it can be derived that physical activity helps process stress.

Option D:
It is implied by the passage that the restrained environment is related to the processing of stress, not the stress experience itself. Stress experience would be the same irrespective of whether the environment is restrained or not. As per the passage, restrained environment does not help release (process) the stress, but the stress experienced is independent of the environment.

Kudos [?]: 3298 [1], given: 22

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Mar 2015
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: V03-25 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 11:33
Hi,

I don't agree with the explanation for why option (E) is wrong. Since it says that "since most business is conducted in a relatively restrained environment, workers find few opportunities to respond to stressful situations as their hormones seem to demand", in my opinion I can infer that more physical activity will bring more opportunities to respond to stressful situations and therefore , as stated in option (E), "physically demanding jobs have fewer problems with work-related stress".

Can anyone bring light on this, please?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 9

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3157

Kudos [?]: 3298 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: V03-25 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 08:10
rsabino wrote:
Hi,

I don't agree with the explanation for why option (E) is wrong. Since it says that "since most business is conducted in a relatively restrained environment, workers find few opportunities to respond to stressful situations as their hormones seem to demand", in my opinion I can infer that more physical activity will bring more opportunities to respond to stressful situations and therefore , as stated in option (E), "physically demanding jobs have fewer problems with work-related stress".

Can anyone bring light on this, please?


It is not mentioned in the passage that the stress level in more physically demanding jobs and that in normal jobs are equivalent. It is possible that physically demanding jobs cause so much more stress than normal jobs do that even with the opportunity to deal with the stress with physical movement, the stress levels are still higher in physically demanding jobs than those in normal jobs.

Kudos [?]: 3298 [0], given: 22

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Dec 2013
Posts: 4

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 6

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: V03-25 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 05:51
I think B is incorrect because it gives a very general view that physical activity would be helpful in stressful (all?) situations whereas the passage clearly states work related stress. I think D is a better answer!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 6

Re: V03-25   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2017, 05:51
Display posts from previous: Sort by

V03-25

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, Vyshak



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.