Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:53 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [24]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 728 [12]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 307 [1]
Given Kudos: 127
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.73
WE:Design (Real Estate)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [3]
Given Kudos: 25
GPA: 4
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Walter Mondale had a long difficult struggle leading up to the 1984 De [#permalink]
Kudos
Sasindran

Answer C.

Possible explanation Why Answer A is incorrect- 'After' expresses that something has already happened in the past and also first clause contains a time period (1984) which is again in past, so therefore usage of 'Had' creates ambiguity.

This is why I chose answer C.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 307 [1]
Given Kudos: 127
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.73
WE:Design (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: Walter Mondale had a long difficult struggle leading up to the 1984 De [#permalink]
Kudos
Fighter28

Thanks fr the explanation. Kudos to u
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [2]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Sasindran wrote:
Can you explain why C is correct?

IMO the answer should be A.

Also though and but uses in the same way make it ambigous...

Sent from my BND-AL10 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [1]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Walter Mondale had a long difficult struggle leading up to the 1984 De [#permalink]
Kudos

MAGOOSH OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

A question about presidential hopeful Walter Mondale.

Split #1: position of the word "only." What should "only" modify? The quantity notable for its low number is the number of electoral votes, only 13. The word "only" should come at the end of the underlined section, immediately before this number. The choices (B) & (E) have "only winning" and "only won," as if winning were an activity less acceptable than something else. These are incorrect.

Beyond this split, the answers are different enough that each needs its own analysis.

(A) The double contrast in this one is awkward: [clause] though [clause] but [clause]. The events in the sentence do not warrant two major changes in logical direction such as this, so this choice is incorrect.

(B) In some ways, this is the opposite of (A) in that there's no logical contrast at all, as if all the facts of the sentence belong harmoniously together with no problem. This problem and the placement of the word "only" make this choice wrong.

(C) This choice is logically and grammatically correct. It is clear and direct. This is a promising choice.

(D) In the first half of this sentence, everything before the last comma, this sentence commits the famous missing verb mistake. The sentence has a long absolute phrase, then the noun "Walter Mondale," then a participial modifier, but this noun has no bonafide verb before the word "but" starts the second independent clause. This is incorrect.

(E) This choice commits the mistake of false parallelism, simply putting every verb willy-nilly into parallel regardless of their logical relationships. It also misplaces the word "only." This is incorrect.

The only possible answer is (C).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Other, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q36 V33
GMAT 2: 620 Q44 V32
GMAT 3: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Meaning: Walter Mondale (WM), after having a long difficult struggle leading upto the 1984 Democratic Presidential Primary, consolidated his lead for the nomination, but he won only 13 electoral votes in general election

Errors:
1) modifier error: WM needs to be modified correctly
2) redundancy error: only one of but or though should be used

Answer: C. This choice rectifies both errors and conveys the intended meaning.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Hi everyone,

I want to clarify something with answer C.

"After a long difficult struggle leading up to the 1984 Democratic Presidential Primary."

Mike in the video mentioned that this was a subordinate clause, but I believe he made a mistake as I do not see a verb. If not a clause, what type of modifier is this?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7773 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
shen0150 You're right. It's an adverbial modifier applying to the main clause.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts