Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:35 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Ask Avanti Prep [#permalink]
Hi,
My name is Hardik, a 45 yr old Indian, who has spent 16 years in pharmaceutical exports from India out of total experience of 19 years. Is it too late for me pursue MBA - preferably 1 year ones ?
Can you please suggest ?

Rgds
Hardik
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi hardiksv,

It looks like you've posted your questions as a reply under the Welcome post of this sub-forum. For a profile review, please submit a new topic within the "Ask Avanti Prep" forum. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Bio: Age 27, Male, USA.

GMAT: 710 (Q46, V41, IR 8, AWA 6) ,

Education: [/b]Bachelor of Science in Finance with a 3.5 GPA from a top 30 US School with a minor in Entrepreneurship.
Education # 2: Master in Information Systems and Operations Management from Top 30 school with 3.33 GPA

Research: Performed portfolio construction research during undergrad for a professor in the finance dept. (1 year)
Research #2: Performed benchmarking analysis during graduate school for the head of the information systems dept. (1 year)

Work Experience: 3 years full-time work experience at a mid-sized Management Consulting firm in NYC. Promoted once. Lead a small team.

Extracurriculars: I was a Teaching Assistant during my undergraduate and graduate years for the International Business dept. (3 years). Also I was a member of the club baseball team at my school and helped organize our school's homecoming parade. After University I have been involved in the intern process at my company by helping coordinate events and mentoring prospective employees.

Volunteer Experience: During my university years I volunteered at the boys and girls club of America. After university I volunteered in NYC as a little league coach and also continued to volunteer at the Boys and Girls club.

Letters of Recommendation: Will have no problem getting letters of rec from either superiors at consulting firm or professors in the Finance and Information Systems Dept. at my University

Post MBA Goals: After my MBA I plan to either go back to management consulting or open up my own consulting firm. I also have a passion for sports and would love to work in the front office of a major US sports team. I hope to leverage the connections that I make during my MBA as a way to advance my career and also I really value the experience of being around like-minded peers.

Target Schools: Harvard, Penn, Stanford, Yale, Dartmouth, Columbia Cornell, Duke.

Thank you for your support and I am looking forward to hearing your advice.

Best regards,
Michael
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi delmoneyy, it appears that this request was posted several times within the forum.

I have responded to it here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/please-evalu ... 00432.html

Thanks!
Greg
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
Background and nationality - Indian (male), age at application - 26, Business education (Undergrad and post-grad from top tier institutes in India)
GMAT: 730 -740 (Realistic target)
Undergrad Gpa- 7.48(equivalent to 4.0 acc to gmac)- top 30%

Post grad Gpa - 2.93/4.33 from IIM (top 30% of class)
Common Admission Test 2015 (GMAT equivalent for Indian bschools, 200,000 test takers in a year) - 98.5 percentile

Work experience and leadership - 3.5 years (during application) CPG firm in India, led a team of 10+ management graduates for all these 3.5 yrs, youngest and fastest to get promoted, youngest state head, highest growth and achievement nos. in first 2 years

Recommendations from Pan India Heads

Community and others -

Volunteering at a school for special needs children - mostly kids who don't have resources for correct diagnosis - tried to teach them nuances of human interaction and to make them independent in their daily tasks

Hosted a tedx event and achieved a blackbelt in martial arts, opportunity to represent country and state in international and national competitions

Post MBA goals - transition to consulting in CPG/manufacturing and then start an entrepreneurial venture

zero international experience, but experienced many cultures in India

Ideal GMAt score considering my background?
Which schools shall I target - Stretch, Realistic, Safety? (open to european schools, and only stem in usa)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi doublewhammy,

Thank you for your post. In order to provide you with a helpful response, I have some follow-up questions regarding your goals and the specific tier(s) schools you are interested in -- the latter of which will have a meaningful impact on what sort of GMAT you need (e.g., if you want to have a realistic chance in the U.S. Top 20, you should really be targeting a 740+, and ideally higher to further improve your chances, especially at higher-ranked schools... two good blog posts for you to check out regarding admissions chances for Indian applicants at T20+ programs are this and this). So rather than write a static post that doesn't offer much nuance, I think it would be a more efficient use of time for both of us to connect for a Free Consultation. You can sign up for a Free Consultation via this link: https://www.avantiprep.com/free-consultation.html. I hope we have the opportunity to connect!

Best Regards,
Greg
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Hi, can you please review my profile?

*Background*

Overview:
I’m looking to bring a strong sense of purpose in my career by transitioning fully to social impact. I’ve always wanted to go into social impact full-time, but I needed to build a niche and valuable skillset before doing so. Regarding marketable skills, I feel ready now, but I need an MBA to help me transition.

Work experience:
I'm currently a Product Manager in Internet Business in a Multinational Telecommunications company. I have 5.5 years of full-time experience, all in Telecommunications product management. The firm I work for is one of the top ones in my country, Bangladesh, and is a part of the 10th largest mobile network operator in the world. I've gotten regular, formal awards (Marketing Award for six quarters out of the twelve quarters of my employment till date + Employee of the month multiple times) at work, and my portfolio has increased with time. I can back my achievements with solid numbers.

Some career highlights
- Successful completion of 1-month international assignment & placement in HQ
- Former Management Trainee with fast track progression to Managerial role, within only 2.5 years of my career
- Project Manager for the first telecom merger in Bangladesh
- Product Manager for Facebook's Freebasics program in Bangladesh, which focuses on giving internet connectivity to the bottom of the pyramid, launching it for the first time in my country

On the side, I'm a director at my family business which focuses on government and non-profit sector consulting. I do business advisory for non-profits, and one of these non-profits was founded by an Oxford Said MBA alum. My area of expertise is "mobile tech & communications for development".

Extracurriculars:
During my undergrad I won multiple international & national awards in social entrepreneurship competitions. One of that was GSEC organized by the University of Washington's Foster School of Business. My team had beat out MIT in that competition. I was also awarded by Nobel Peace Laureate Professor Muhammad Yunus, for winning Yunus Centre's social entrepreneurship idea competition. I've coordinated nationwide charity drives back in my undergrad, 100+ people reporting to me.

Other coursework:
I finished MBA Math and I scored 100% in all of the MBA Math courses.

Nationality: Bangladeshi

Sex: Male

*Stats*

GRE Score:
My GRE total is 328, with a breakdown of 169 in Verbal, 159 in Quant, 4.5 in AW. I'm also done with my TOEFL with a 113/120.

Undergrad GPA:
I graduated from the best business school in my country. My alma mater has alums in top business schools all over the world, including the business schools that I plan to apply to.

My 3.13/4 CGPA (Major- Finance) is measly though. I dived into ECAs during my first two years, achieving great success at the expense of my academics. Reprioritized and did very well in academics during my third year. During my fourth year I contracted Hepatitis E just before my final exams, and my CGPA took a nosedive. My last year’s GPA was 3/4 versus my third year’s GPA of 3.7/4. I had the choice of postponing my studies for a year or taking a bad hit to my CGPA, & I chose the latter due to financial reasons. Anyways, even after taking my horrible fourth year in account, my last two years' CGPA is 3.35/4, so there is an upward trend there.

*MBA Info*

Goal of MBA:
Working in social impact on the side has actually inspired me to enter social impact full-time post-MBA, perhaps joining my family's business on a full-time basis, and/or starting a sister organization to the family business focused on my area of expertise. My area of expertise, Telecommunications, is very important for social impact in my country, Bangladesh. Our internet connectivity is almost entirely mobile communications dependant.

Working in a large private organization has not given me the training I need to embark on an entrepreneurial venture or engage full-time in expanding a family business. I need an MBA to make me ready.

Target schools:
I plan to apply for the 2021 intake. My top favorites are- Said, Judge, Yale, Haas, Kellogg, Tuck, Johnson (P.S. Regarding Said and Judge, I made sure that I am eligible despite my CGPA, even though their websites give off a different impression)

My next favorites are- Stern, Fuqua, Ross, UCLA, LBS, INSEAD, Darden, Tepper, UNC, Foster, Goizueta, McDonough, Owen, Mendoza, Scheller, Rotman

I'll winnow down this list with further research.

However, I want a reality check so that I can focus on the schools which I actually stand a realistic chance at. For example, I don't think I'll be able to make it to Haas, Kellogg, Stern. I plan to resit the GRE to raise my Quant, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to make the time for it.

I'll also welcome suggestions on schools that I may be missing out on, which are good fits for me.

Posted from my mobile device
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Naseef,

Thank you for your post. You've shared a ton of information here, which is great. That said, it does make it difficult to cover everything in a brief written response. So I think it would be easiest for us to connect by phone, which would allow for a direct conversation where you can ask follow-up questions and I can offer more depth and nuance. It would be much more efficient and helpful to you. If you're interested in that, please sign up for a Free Consultation via this link: https://www.avantiprep.com/free-consultation.html. I hope we have the opportunity to connect!

Best Regards,
Greg
GMAT Club Bot