Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Affiliations: MBAkarma
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Wharton MBA waitlisted - how to improve profile for reapplication [#permalink]
Expert Reply
G842 wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for advice on how to go about strengthening my profile for the coming MBA application cycle.

For context, I applied to Wharton this year, was waitlisted after R2, and ultimately rejected.

Couple key datapoints that could be helpful background:
- Gmat: 720
- Undergrad GPA: 3.5 in mechanical engineering
- Current job: Consultant at Bain in Philly for 2.5 years; promoted at 2 year mark
- Goal post-MBA: transition from consulting into automotive sector focused VC
- Extracurricular: pro bono consulting for mobility start-up in China for 2 weeks
- Additional: dance enthusiast

Thank you!

Hello G842,

Thanks for your query.

While we do not have access to your essays, as well as other details pertaining to your previous application, there are two things that we would recommend.

- Lifting your GMAT score by at least 20-30 points. This will help differentiate you from others (with a similar background) in the applicant pool.
- Keep performing at work; a greater number of achievements will enable you to add more talking points in your essays and showcase how you have grown at work and as a person since your last application.

Hope this helps!

Good luck!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Re: Wharton MBA waitlisted - how to improve profile for reapplication [#permalink]
Expert Reply
G842 wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for advice on how to go about strengthening my profile for the coming MBA application cycle.

For context, I applied to Wharton this year, was waitlisted after R2, and ultimately rejected.

Couple key datapoints that could be helpful background:
- Gmat: 720
- Undergrad GPA: 3.5 in mechanical engineering
- Current job: Consultant at Bain in Philly for 2.5 years; promoted at 2 year mark
- Goal post-MBA: transition from consulting into automotive sector focused VC
- Extracurricular: pro bono consulting for mobility start-up in China for 2 weeks
- Additional: dance enthusiast

Thank you!

Being an MBB consultant has helped for sure. However, I felt your focus on "automotive sector focused VC" is too narrow. Wharton's latest employment report shows only 1.7% students join VC. Narrowing it down to automotive-focused is being too specific in my opinion.
Consider either getting back into consulting after MBA, with the goal of becoming a venture partner at a VC fund a few years down the lane. Or get into banking to get structuring experience, with the idea of joining the investment team of a fund a few years down the lane. With your current experience,its gonna be difficult getting into automotive-focused VC, even if there were a few funds in that space.

Also as a reapplicant or first-time applicant to similar programs, bump up the GMAT score to make it more wow!
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi G842,

Thank you for your post. The 720 GMAT and 3.5 GPA are both a little behind the curve for Wharton, but they can be good enough to get you in, especially with your Bain experience. (Granted every extra bit does help on the GMAT side, especially when you're right on the cusp.)

I can't say for sure without seeing your essays and applications, but like others have noted, I am curious about your execution. That career goal is very niche, which can be fine, but only when the path there is extremely well articulated and credible. Were you returning to Bain for two years then going to try to transition into automotive VC? Why automotive VC? What about your medium- and long-term goals? What's the passion and purpose behind those?

I'd also be curious about how much of a "school specific" case you made. How well did you get to know Wharton, its people, and its culture? Did you attend events, visit, and chat with current students and alumni? How specific were you in your applications with respect to courses, clubs, extracurriculars, community, culture, and the unique contributions you'd make? And I am curious about your recommendations. How does your performance stack up at Bain? Were you sponsored? Also, a two-week pro bono gig is nice, but is that all you showed in the way of extracurriculars? What do you have in the way of "extras" -- within work and outside of work -- that separate you from the pack? What's your personal story? What makes you unique?

You might check out this blog post about the "Most Overlooked Elements of the MBA Application Process," which touches on some of the points I've made above and details some of the common missteps I see when I do ding reviews and profiles reviews (especially for candidates with strong profiles who can't figure out why exactly they came up short). If you feel like you have another 20+ points in you on the GMAT, that would certainly help, but overall I suspect it might have come down to some combination of the factors above. Happy to chat more about it if helpful: https://www.avantiprep.com/free-consultation.html

Best Regards,
Greg
GMAT Club Bot