It is currently 18 Dec 2017, 10:53

Final Week of R1 Decisions:

CHAT Rooms | MIT Sloan | McCombs 

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What is the maximum percentage by which the company could decrease its

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 136066 [0], given: 12724

What is the maximum percentage by which the company could decrease its [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2015, 06:35
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (01:43) correct 54% (02:12) wrong based on 220 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A trail mix company keeps costs down by employing the peanuts:cashews:almonds ratio of 10:4:1 in each bag of up to 75 total nuts. What is the maximum percentage by which the company could decrease its number of peanuts per bag and still have peanuts constitute more than half the total amount of nuts?

(A) 40%
(B) 48%
(C) 49%
(D) 50%
(E) 58%

Kudos for a correct solution.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 74 [4], given: 4

Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.8
WE: General Management (Consulting)
Re: What is the maximum percentage by which the company could decrease its [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2015, 11:56
This post received
KUDOS
Let's first calculate the total number of peanuts:
The bag contains max. 75 nuts of which the ratio peanuts:cashews:almonds is 10:4:1. So of every 15 nuts, 10 are peanuts, or max 50 in one bag.

Now we can start decreasing the number of peanuts:

\(\frac{50-x}{75-x}>50%\)

x must be a positive integer, as it represents the number of peanuts taken out. Therefore, we can solve for x without flipping the greater than-symbol.

\(50-x>\frac{75-x}{2}\)

\(x<25\)

So we can take out 24 peanuts max. 24 out of 50 peanuts are 48%. Answer B.

\(\sqrt{-1}\) \(2^3\) \(\Sigma\) \(\pi\) ... and it was delicious!

Please consider giving +1 Kudos if deserved!

Kudos [?]: 74 [4], given: 4

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Re: What is the maximum percentage by which the company could decrease its [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2015, 02:05
Bunuel wrote:
A trail mix company keeps costs down by employing the peanuts:cashews:almonds ratio of 10:4:1 in each bag of up to 75 total nuts. What is the maximum percentage by which the company could decrease its number of peanuts per bag and still have peanuts constitute more than half the total amount of nuts?

(A) 40%
(B) 48%
(C) 49%
(D) 50%
(E) 58%

The correct answer is B.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 2794 [0], given: 193

Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
What is the maximum percentage by which the company could decrease its [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2015, 02:29
peanuts ................. cashews ................ almonds ................... Total

10x ............................ 4x ........................... 1x .......................... 15x = 75 ; x = 5(Let x be the multiplication factor)

50 ............................. 20 ............................. 5 ............................ 75

50-a ............................. 20 ............................ 5 .............................. 75-a (Let "a" is the quantity of peanuts removed)

For exact 50% peanuts, equation setup would be

\(\frac{1}{2}(75-a) = 25\)

a = 25

For more than 50% peanuts, removal should be less than 25. Say 24. New setup would be as follows

26 ................................ 20 .............................. 5 .............................. 51 (Here 26 is more than 50% of 51)

Decrease per cent \(= \frac{24}{50} * 100 = 48%\)

Answer = B

Kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :)

Kudos [?]: 2794 [0], given: 193

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3702 [1], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2015, 13:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi All,

This is ultimately a question about percentages. The key element to solving this question is to remember that when you remove a peanut, you CHANGE the total number of nuts in the mixture...

To maximize the percentage decrease, I want to maximize the number of nuts that I'm working with. In this way, I'm TESTing VALUES, so I'll use the numbers that would occur if the total number of nuts was 75...

Peanuts = 50
Cashews = 20
Almonds = 5

We want to remove as many peanuts as possible while still having peanuts represent MORE than half of the mixture...

The number of cashews and almonds will stay the same though, so we have 20 + 5 = 25 of those non-peanuts in total.

If we had 25 peanuts and 25 non-peanuts, then that would be 50% EXACTLY. We want MORE than 50% though, so we need to add in 1 more peanut. This gives us...

Peanuts = 26
Cashews = 20
Almonds = 5

The question asked for the decrease in the number of peanuts as a percentage. We started with 50 peanuts and removed 24 = 24/50 = 48%

Final Answer:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2015, 22:26
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 40%
(B) 48%
(C) 49%
(D) 50%
(E) 58%

Hi Bunuel

Although I do get the logic in this question, the stem says upto 75 nuts. So why dont I get the answer when I use 15 nuts total when I have 10 peanuts, 4 cashews and 1 almond? I get stuck between 5 and 6 range and then dont know how to proceed.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2015, 22:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi sinhap07,

The question asks for the MAXIMUM percentage decrease, so you have to focus on whatever example would maximize the percentage.

If you work with 15 total nuts, you have....

Peanuts = 10
Cashews = 4
Almonds = 1

So you would need to have 6 peanuts (to go along with the 4 cashews and 1 almond) to make sure that peanuts represented MORE than half of the nuts.

In this example, you end up removing 4 of the 10 peanuts, which is a 40% reduction in the number of peanuts. Unfortunately, that is NOT the MAXIMUM PERCENTAGE - that only occurs when you MAXIMIZE the number of starting nuts (75 total).

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 288 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2016, 19:34
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Kudos [?]: 288 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 862

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2016, 05:31
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi All,

This is ultimately a question about percentages. The key element to solving this question is to remember that when you remove a peanut, you CHANGE the total number of nuts in the mixture...

To maximize the percentage decrease, I want to maximize the number of nuts that I'm working with. In this way, I'm TESTing VALUES, so I'll use the numbers that would occur if the total number of nuts was 75...

Peanuts = 50
Cashews = 20
Almonds = 5

We want to remove as many peanuts as possible while still having peanuts represent MORE than half of the mixture...

The number of cashews and almonds will stay the same though, so we have 20 + 5 = 25 of those non-peanuts in total.

If we had 25 peanuts and 25 non-peanuts, then that would be 50% EXACTLY. We want MORE than 50% though, so we need to add in 1 more peanut. This gives us...

Peanuts = 26
Cashews = 20
Almonds = 5

The question asked for the decrease in the number of peanuts as a percentage. We started with 50 peanuts and removed 24 = 24/50 = 48%

Final Answer:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

Rich

I had to try each option to see which one gave the possibility of the maximum percentage decrease. I have a question regarding your statement "To maximize the percentage decrease, I want to maximize the number of nuts that I'm working with."
A larger number does not necessarily generate a larger percentage in my opinion. Although, your logic works here, please explain in detail so I can really understand what's going on.

Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 862

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P

Kudos [?]: 3702 [0], given: 173

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2017, 11:53
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi ShashankDave,

There's a 'high-concept' Number Property rule built into this question - and most people won't even realize that it's there. The idea is all about how numerators and denominators relate to one another (especially when you increase or decrease both by the same absolute number.

For example....

4/5 = 80%

If we subtract 1 from both the numerator and denominator, we get a DIFFERENT NUMBER....

3/4 = 75%

The percentage drop in the numerator was greater than the percentage drop in the denominator, which is why the fraction decreased in value relative to 4/5. When we add 1 to both the numerator and denominator, the opposite occurs....

5/6 = 83 1/3%

In this question, the number of peanuts - relative to the TOTAL number of nuts- is important, since each individual peanut represents a smaller PERCENTAGE of the total when we have more and more total nuts to work with.

For example....
When there are 10 peanuts and 15 total nuts, each peanut represents 6 2/3% of the nuts
When there are 20 peanuts and 30 total nuts, each peanut represents 3 1/3% of the nuts

We're asked to remove the maximum percentage of peanuts so that the number of peanuts is as close to 50% as possible (while still being GREATER than 50%). As the each peanut becomes a smaller and smaller percent of the total, we can get closer and closer to the 50% threshold (while still being GREATER than it). The question limits us to up to 75 total nuts, so we have to try to maximize the number of nuts to minimize the relative percent that each peanut represents - and to maximize the possible percent that we can reduce the number of peanuts.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Kudos [?]: 3702 [0], given: 173

Senior SC Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1376 [0], given: 440

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2017, 19:52
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 40%
(B) 48%
(C) 49%
(D) 50%
(E) 58%

Official solution from Veritas Prep.

B—if your goal is to maximize the percentage decrease in peanuts, you should check the minimum and maximum situations given the ratio to see which one gives you the largest possible percentage decrease. Because the initial ratio means that the total number of pieces is a multiple of 15, you can try 15, and because the maximum number allowable is 75, you should also try 75.

If there are 15 nuts, then there are 10 peanuts, 4 cashews, and 1 almond. That means that you can remove 4 peanuts (40%) and still have more than 50% peanuts.

On the higher side, if there are 75 nuts, that means 50 peanuts, 20 cashews, and 5 almonds. Here, with 25 other nuts, you can remove 24 peanuts (48%) and still have more than 50% peanuts. Accordingly, the correct answer is B.

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Kudos [?]: 1376 [0], given: 440

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 17

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2017, 20:39
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 40%
(B) 48%
(C) 49%
(D) 50%
(E) 58%

multiplying 10:4:1 by 5,
each bag of 75 nuts has
50 peanuts and
25 non-peanuts (20 cashews+5 almonds)
25+1=minimum of 26 peanuts needed to maintain majority
50-26=24 maximum number of peanuts decreased
24/50=48% maximum percentage of peanuts decreased

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 17

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2017, 13:23
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi ShashankDave,

There's a 'high-concept' Number Property rule built into this question - and most people won't even realize that it's there. The idea is all about how numerators and denominators relate to one another (especially when you increase or decrease both by the same absolute number.

For example....

4/5 = 80%

If we subtract 1 from both the numerator and denominator, we get a DIFFERENT NUMBER....

3/4 = 75%

The percentage drop in the numerator was greater than the percentage drop in the denominator, which is why the fraction decreased in value relative to 4/5. When we add 1 to both the numerator and denominator, the opposite occurs....

5/6 = 83 1/3%

In this question, the number of peanuts - relative to the TOTAL number of nuts- is important, since each individual peanut represents a smaller PERCENTAGE of the total when we have more and more total nuts to work with.

For example....
When there are 10 peanuts and 15 total nuts, each peanut represents 6 2/3% of the nuts
When there are 20 peanuts and 30 total nuts, each peanut represents 3 1/3% of the nuts

We're asked to remove the maximum percentage of peanuts so that the number of peanuts is as close to 50% as possible (while still being GREATER than 50%). As the each peanut becomes a smaller and smaller percent of the total, we can get closer and closer to the 50% threshold (while still being GREATER than it). The question limits us to up to 75 total nuts, so we have to try to maximize the number of nuts to minimize the relative percent that each peanut represents - and to maximize the possible percent that we can reduce the number of peanuts.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Quick clarification if you don't mind.

In both the "high" and "low" cases, peanuts are 66.7% of the total. We need to decrease the nuts in each case so that they represent slightly MORE than 50%. I can clearly see why we know that we will need to decrease the NUMBER of nuts more in the "high" case to achieve that decrease in the proportion of peanuts from 66.7% to 50%, but I am having a little bit of trouble understanding why that means that the percentage decrease in the number of nuts is also higher in the "high" case?

I can convince myself by doing the calculations, but intuitively how do you know that the percentage decrease is going to be greater in the "high" case.

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

Re: What is the maximum percentage by which the company could decrease its   [#permalink] 01 Sep 2017, 13:23

What is the maximum percentage by which the company could decrease its

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap