Last visit was: 22 Jul 2024, 22:04 It is currently 22 Jul 2024, 22:04
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 23 Nov 2010
Posts: 4
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [75]
Given Kudos: 14
Location: India
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 94517
Own Kudos [?]: 643135 [37]
Given Kudos: 86719
Send PM
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 94517
Own Kudos [?]: 643135 [10]
Given Kudos: 86719
Send PM
General Discussion
avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 23 Nov 2010
Posts: 4
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Location: India
Send PM
Re: Value of X [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
shan123 wrote:
What is the value of x?
(1) X3 is a 2-digit positive odd integer. (2) X4 is a 2-digit positive odd integer.

I don't know whether the answer is correct. I got a different one.


What is the value of x?

Note that we are not told that x is an integer

(1) x^3 is a 2-digit positive odd integer --> now, if \(x\) is an integer then \(x=3\) as \(x^3=27\) is the only odd 2-digit positive cube of an integer (1^3=1 and 5^3=125) but if \(x\) is not an integer then it can be cube root of any 2-digit positive odd integer, for example if \(x=\sqrt[3]{11}\) then \(x^3=11\). Not sufficient.

(2) x^4 is a 2-digit positive odd integer --> basically the same here: if \(x\) is an integer then \(x=3\) or \(x=-3\) as \(x^4=81\) is the only odd 2-digit positive integer which is in fourth power of an integer (1^4=1 and 5^4=625) (so even if \(x\) is an integer this statement is still insufficient as it gives two values for \(x\): 3 and -3). \(x\) also can be non-integer as above: it can be fourth root from any 2-digit positive odd integer, for example if \(x=\sqrt[4]{11}\) then \(x^4=11\). Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) \(x\) can not be an irrational number (so that both x^3 and x^4 to be integers), so \(x\) must be 3. Sufficient.

Answer: C.


Thanks for the answer and detailed explanation.
User avatar
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 31 Oct 2010
Status:Up again.
Posts: 415
Own Kudos [?]: 2274 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Re: Value of X [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Carelessly, I overlooked the possibility that x could be negative. Thanks Bunuel!
User avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 17 Feb 2011
Posts: 131
Own Kudos [?]: 1311 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
Re: Value of X [#permalink]
Tricky one, I considered the integer constraint that didn't exist. Must take care with this.

Bunuel wrote:
shan123 wrote:
What is the value of x?
(1) X3 is a 2-digit positive odd integer. (2) X4 is a 2-digit positive odd integer.

I don't know whether the answer is correct. I got a different one.


What is the value of x?

Note that we are not told that x is an integer

(1) x^3 is a 2-digit positive odd integer --> now, if \(x\) is an integer then \(x=3\) as \(x^3=27\) is the only odd 2-digit positive cube of an integer (1^3=1 and 5^3=125) but if \(x\) is not an integer then it can be cube root of any 2-digit positive odd integer, for example if \(x=\sqrt[3]{11}\) then \(x^3=11\). Not sufficient.

(2) x^4 is a 2-digit positive odd integer --> basically the same here: if \(x\) is an integer then \(x=3\) or \(x=-3\) as \(x^4=81\) is the only odd 2-digit positive integer which is in fourth power of an integer (1^4=1 and 5^4=625) (so even if \(x\) is an integer this statement is still insufficient as it gives two values for \(x\): 3 and -3). \(x\) also can be non-integer as above: it can be fourth root from any 2-digit positive odd integer, for example if \(x=\sqrt[4]{11}\) then \(x^4=11\). Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) \(x\) can not be an irrational number (so that both x^3 and x^4 to be integers), so \(x\) must be 3. Sufficient.

Answer: C.
User avatar
VP
VP
Joined: 24 Aug 2010
Status:Current Student
Posts: 1332
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Value of X [#permalink]
1
Bookmarks
I always forget about radical roots. Thanks for the explanation Bunnel.
User avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 04 Oct 2011
Posts: 142
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: What is the value of x? [#permalink]
carcass wrote:
What is the value of\(x\) ?

(1) \(X^3\) is a 2-digit positive odd integer.

(2)\(X^4\) is a 2-digit positive odd integer.


Hi carcass,

Stat 1 :

Only 2 digit positive integers for S1 are :
\(x\)-------- 3 ------ 4
\(x^3\) ----27-----64

Here odd integer is x=3 and x^3 = 27
SUFFICIENT

Stat 2 :

Only 2 digit positive integers for S2 are :
\(x\)----------+/-2-------------+/-3
\(x^3\)----------16----------81

Here odd integer is x=+/-3 and x^3 = 81
INSUFFICIENT (two values for x)

IMO A.

But how come C?
did i missed out anything?
User avatar
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 27 Jun 2012
Posts: 323
Own Kudos [?]: 2495 [0]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Re: What is the value of x? [#permalink]
Shanmugam, the problem doesnt explicitly state that x is an integer. It can be fraction.

e.g. Choice (A), x can be fraction -> \(x^3 = 35\) i.e. x = \(\sqrt[3]{35}\)

Similarly Choice (B) alone is not sufficient.

Hence (C) is the answer.
User avatar
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 27 Jun 2012
Posts: 323
Own Kudos [?]: 2495 [6]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Re: What is the value of x? [#permalink]
4
Kudos
2
Bookmarks
Glad that helped.

Always watch out for ZIP trap (assuming Zero, Integer, Positive) -> (Make sure to check for 0, factions and negatives)
Especially for inequalities, algebraic, number/fraction problems.
Board of Directors
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 4561
Own Kudos [?]: 33631 [0]
Given Kudos: 4569
Send PM
Re: What is the value of x? [#permalink]
Sorry Bunuel I do not "visualize" why in C \(x^3\) and \(x^4\)cannot be rational numbers aka integers

because an irrational can't be at the same time an 2 digits odd number ?' and of course only 3 meets both conditions ?'

Can you explain me please ?'

Thanks
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 94517
Own Kudos [?]: 643135 [0]
Given Kudos: 86719
Send PM
Re: What is the value of x? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
carcass wrote:
Sorry Bunuel I do not "visualize" why in C \(x^3\) and \(x^4\)cannot be rational numbers aka integers

because an irrational can't be at the same time an 2 digits odd number ?' and of course only 3 meets both conditions ?'

Can you explain me please ?'

Thanks


Not sure I understand what you mean.

Anyway, rational numbers and integers are not the same. Also, irrational numbers are not integers, thus they can be neither odd nor even.

For more check here: math-number-theory-88376.html
Board of Directors
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 4561
Own Kudos [?]: 33631 [0]
Given Kudos: 4569
Send PM
Re: What is the value of x? [#permalink]
basically 1) is insuff because we have to consider integers and non integers (so irrational numbers). Same for 2)

Bothe statements are suff because we have only 3 that mettes the criteria so we have to consider only the 3 (the integer). So sufficient

But why we C is sufficient ?' why we can not consider the irrational numbers ??

Thanks. Now I hope is more clear what I mean. I'm sorry if I have explained myself badly
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 94517
Own Kudos [?]: 643135 [1]
Given Kudos: 86719
Send PM
Re: What is the value of x? [#permalink]
1
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
carcass wrote:
basically 1) is insuff because we have to consider integers and non integers (so irrational numbers). Same for 2)

Bothe statements are suff because we have only 3 that mettes the criteria so we have to consider only the 3 (the integer). So sufficient

But why we C is sufficient ?' why we can not consider the irrational numbers ??

Thanks. Now I hope is more clear what I mean. I'm sorry if I have explained myself badly


If x is an irrational number then x^3 and x^4 cannot both be integers as given in the statements, so x can only be 3.
Retired Moderator
Joined: 29 Oct 2013
Posts: 220
Own Kudos [?]: 2069 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: Value of X [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
shan123 wrote:

(1)+(2) \(x\) cannot be an irrational number (so that both x^3 and x^4 to be integers), so \(x\) must be 3. Sufficient.

Answer: C.


Hi Bunuel: Just like others, I also have a hard time visualizing that there does not exist an irrational number whose 3rd and 4th power both result in an odd digit integer. I mean integer is a smaller set compared to irrational numbers and we still have 3 (an integer) whose 3rd and 4th power both result in an odd 2-digit integer. On the other hand in terms of irrational numbers we have tremendous possibilities even between two integers we have infinite irrational numbers and we cannot have such a number. It some how feels odd to me. I have no doubt what you are saying is right but I have hard time imagining it. Maybe my understanding of irrational numbers and their powers is still primordial.
Retired Moderator
Joined: 29 Oct 2013
Posts: 220
Own Kudos [?]: 2069 [1]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: Value of X [#permalink]
1
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
Say x IS an irrational number and x*x*x=x^3=integer. In this case x*x*x*x=x^3*x=integer*irrational=irrational.

If x is an irrational number and x*x*x*x=x^4=integer, then x^3=x^4/x=integer/irrational=irrational.

So, as you can see if x is an irrational number, then both x^3 and x^4 cannot be rational.

Does this make sense?


Wow! Makes complete sense. This explanation is superb. Thanks!
Current Student
Joined: 17 Jun 2016
Posts: 473
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 206
Location: India
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: What is the value of x? [#permalink]
Innocuous looking deadly snake this one !!!
bowled me ....
VP
VP
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1009
Own Kudos [?]: 1802 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Re: What is the value of x? [#permalink]
since x can be any number than an integer, and x can have negative value, combine 2 statement will yield the answer.
User avatar
Non-Human User
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 34044
Own Kudos [?]: 853 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: What is the value of x? [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: What is the value of x? [#permalink]
Moderator:
Math Expert
94517 posts